The Tempest

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've played it out a couple of times at various events in the last few years and it usually goes down very well: as it should because it's a great record and evokes happy memories of a time when a record like this could be played as a new release in 'rare soul' clubs and become massive.

Social source share

Fish has continually played this over recent years..........a big favourite of his at the Without Boundaries events, and at other events around the country.

Also spun by Jonathan (Woodliffe) in the early hours of Sunday morning this past weekend during his "45's at Southport 45" set at the 45th Southport Weekender.

A good record will always be a good recordthumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I used to run a club up in good old Whitley Bay and this was one of the biggies for the Disco crowd, and at the sands club and many otehr big NorthEast Night clubs was played to death on Metro radios saturday night disco slot between 6pm and 9pm always went down well... then was a bit astounded when i went to one of the mayfair allniters and it was played and saw everyone doing the old Northern Soul dancing.

Superb tune.... but always been a club sound for me

Geeooooordie

Social source share

TheO%27JaysPutOurHeadsTogether1983.jpg

Watched the remake of The Firm and this track came on , had'nt heard it for ages , remember it use to get spins at Morecambe Central Pier , but not heard it played at a soul event since , what do you think , too funk for todays dancefloor or timeless philly classic ? g.gif

This MUST be due a revival judging by the feedback so far !! good.gif

Social source share

l know,l had to google it...Kin great though isn't it? And so 80's!! :lol:

The musical equivalent of a Crockett & Tubbs suit with its crashing syn-drums and keyboard bass line.

The pure soul of The O'Jays shines through though. I love the stuff Keni Burke produced for PIR at the time. The Jones Girls' Keep It Comin' and Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah still sound great. The latter mentioned is one of my alltime favourite records. The overall song structure is magnificent and the ending with massed harmony is phenomenal.

Social source share

A fantastic record and one that I never get tired of hearing. Its the northern scene's loss if this too 'funky' for current plays!!

A GREAT RECORD INDEED, SEEMS A PITY TO ME THAT MOST NORTHERN JOCKS THESE DAYS PREFER THE CURRENT HANDBAGGERS FAVOURITE, TO PROVE I LOVE YOU.

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

You're spot on matey!

Tis' another GREAT O'Jays tune!

One Awesome Group, Eddie and the boys... always kept it Soulful, despite the changes in Style & Production, over the decades.

Just Love 'em!

:)

Sean

Dont tell me youve got a 7 of " Dont walk away mad" too Sean ? ... Now that is a funky tune , check the bass guitar

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

A fantastic record and one that I never get tired of hearing. Its the northern scene's loss if this too 'funky' for current plays!!

Despite my tongue firmly in cheek comment earlier, I actually own & quite like this record but I fail to see how it's the Northern Scenes ( I assume by that you mean generally 60s) loss in not playing it when it was played widely back in the 80s. If as seems likely you're an exponent of the more "modern" sounds, instead of playing old 80s (disco) sounds ( & taking cheap shots at the northern scene) why not search out something new, after all the the very nature of the modern scene must make the possiblities endless ?

Social source share

Would like the UK PIR ,someone in Canada has one for sale for £4.80 something + postage anyone on SS in the UK able to help for about the same ,must be VG ++ .Thanks in advance.

There's a '73 on John Manships around a £8 https://www.raresoulm...k/d/96552/OJAYS

Psmile.gif

and £6 https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/search/Artist/OJAYS/all/5

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

You're spot on matey!

Tis' another GREAT O'Jays tune!

One Awesome Group, Eddie and the boys... always kept it Soulful, despite the changes in Style & Production, over the decades.

Just Love 'em!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Mmm. Maybe a Philly International Modern Soul package may be an idea Sean?

Ian D thumbup.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I've played it out a couple of times at various events in the last few years and it usually goes down very well: as it should because it's a great record and evokes happy memories of a time when a record like this could be played as a new release in 'rare soul' clubs and become massive.

As you know Gareth, it is my favourite 80's soul tune. The first Modern Soul record I ever bought as a new release. As you will recall, we were playing this at the George Jackson nights we did a few years ago.

Edited by noss
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert