Top Dj C/u

Wrongcrowd

I am sorry that you don't get it. shades.gif

The artist has a CD on sale and you are making illegal copies for profit without telling them? :D

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Well he's not really is he, he's copying one track, which they aren't releasing as a single, if he really was to put things right he could simply pay to download it off itunes for £1.50 every time he wanted to cut a disc of it, he'd have paid for it legitimitely then.

Social source share

• Replies 99
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The artist has a CD on sale and you are making illegal copies for profit without telling them? :D

I bought the CD...and have made my own copy to play out...never got round to making any more

So that's

Beeks 0

Little Rachel 1

:D

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

It's 3 days that it was REMEMERANCE Sunday.All those who died did it for Freedom in what ever shape or form.But it would'nt hurt to be a bit more constructive, YEAH pass a oppinion .No need for the garbarge, shite, crap, utter b*ll*cks ya know what i mean. The scene is supposed to be renowned for it's togetherness and embracement.sometimes I JUST DON'T KNOW.

Social source share

The artist has a CD on sale and you are making illegal copies for profit without telling them? pirate.gif

Does sound somewhat naughty shades.gif

Social source share

laugh.gif

I wasn't going to post on what can only be described as one of the most childish threads i've seen on any forum let alone one between consenting adults

But just thought i'd clear a few things up

I am/was the only DJ plying this out

I found it whilst browsing the many R&B sales sites I frequent by complete accident...loved it...saw dancefloor potential and immediately bought a copy of the CD which I then sent to Timmion in Finland to get carved onto acetate.

I had already asked Little Rachel personally (I befriended her on myspace) If she had an official 7inch available and if not was it ok to play a carved copy in my sets which she agreed to

Yes I was disappointed that once on here it got discovered straight away...but after doing a search on the lyrics I realised it was very easy to find so more fool me I suppose...Was pissed because it was my baby and regardless of it's origin...I discovered it and have played it out to a very appreciative audience

Yes I was going to carve some up at £20 a pop from timmion and sell them on for a small profit but why the fuck shouldn't I? It was my find and for all the donkey work I was going to do it's not unreasonable to want a little on top

This thread has fuck all to do with a great R&B find though

It's to do with 'Man with seagull on head' getting a bee in his bonnet that I called him names in another thread after he personally attacked me there too laugh.gif

Seems controversy surrounds me even when unwarranted

Last I have to say on the subject...just thought id clear it up

And next time you hear this out in an R&B club to a packed floor think of me shades.gif

Or alternatively hear it being played loud at 'Out Of The Blue' 21st November at the Salutation in Manchester

(Shameless and well deserved plug) wicked.gif

What was that Russg.gif

Got to agree with others Beeks ...you just don't get it!

Original artists who made the material ....us collectors buying and selling their records for large amounts ..has nothing to do with itno.gif

Infact ..it' s totally irrellevant ..you can't compare .

The artists who made those old records ,either were paid or not ..this is a second hand market .

What you are doing is exploiting a current artist !

She was led to believe you were playing her record to people and making them aware of her material ,of course she'd agree to the exposure.But to ,then cover it up as someone else ohmy.gif

Thankfully ,albeit inadvertantly,you've now actually given her the credit she deserves ...or rather Cliff has.

Credit to you for finding the song ..but the proper course of action would have been to play it out to the masses and alert them to the artist ,thus giving her exposure and hopefully some reward for her hard work...that way ,you could have been credited for introducing her to a wider audience and thus helping her reap the rewards of some success.

Sadly you thought it better to exploit her work for your own ego/gainsad.gif

Sorry Russ , i most definitely have no axe to grind with you..just feel you got it wrong.

Social source share

What was that Russg.gif

Got to agree with others Beeks ...you just don't get it!

Original artists who made the material ....us collectors buying and selling their records for large amounts ..has nothing to do with itno.gif

Infact ..it' s totally irrellevant ..you can't compare .

The artists who made those old records ,either were paid or not ..this is a second hand market .

What you are doing is exploiting a current artist !

She was led to believe you were playing her record to people and making them aware of her material ,of course she'd agree to the exposure.But to ,then cover it up as someone else ohmy.gif

Thankfully ,albeit inadvertantly,you've now actually given her the credit she deserves ...or rather Cliff has.

Credit to you for finding the song ..but the proper course of action would have been to play it out to the masses and alert them to the artist ,thus giving her exposure and hopefully some reward for her hard work...that way ,you could have been credited for introducing her to a wider audience and thus helping her reap the rewards of some success.

Sadly you thought it better to exploit her work for your own ego/gainsad.gif

Sorry Russ , i most definitely have no axe to grind with you..just feel you got it wrong.

Cabbage Alley

Current band from Manchester

£5 to buy the record

Covered up

Sold for top dollar by a very popular Northern DJ who I will not name

Where's the lynch mob?

whistling.gif

Social source share

I'm sorry but the soul scene can be the LEAST judgemental when it comes to profiting from artists/writers

What about all the Soul artists still alive who don't get a single cent from Soul collectors who exchange records for astronomical prices?

Doesn't wash with me i'm afraid

And while we are on the subject of Cover Ups

I'm not the first...nor will I be the last to try and profit from them

Wheras I was intending on making a small sum...there are plenty on here who have sold £20 record b-sides for £100+ covered up

Again...hypocrisy sleep3.gif

Hypocrisy how?

The vast majority of records we all stupidly pay astronomical amounts of money for are second hand items. Any money due to writers etc. from sales of the vinyl records (or not as is the case) was hopefully paid to the correct parties involved long ago - similar to stamp collecting or any other form of collecting.

On the subject of cover ups commanding higher prices - welcome to the world of Northern Soul. If people are daft enough to pay inflated prices for said cover ups then more fool them, but it's been part and parcel of the scene since the start and again - no crime has been commited other than that against vanity.

I can't see how you can try and use either scenario as a justification for copyright theft of someone's currently available product for personal gain.

Social source share

Hypocrisy how?

The vast majority of records we all stupidly pay astronomical amounts of money for are second hand items. Any money due to writers etc. from sales of the vinyl records (or not as is the case) was hopefully paid to the correct parties involved long ago - similar to stamp collecting or any other form of collecting.

On the subject of cover ups commanding higher prices - welcome to the world of Northern Soul. If people are daft enough to pay inflated prices for said cover ups then more fool them, but it's been part and parcel of the scene since the start and again - no crime has been commited other than that against vanity.

I can't see how you can try and use either scenario as a justification for copyright theft of someone's currently available product for personal gain.

See above and Little Rachel has gained far more publicity from this than if I would have played it uncovered

Also why not chose to ignore the fact I have her CD sitting on my table next to my computer as we speak rolleyes.gif

Social source share

The problem with this site, and it's always been like this, is that there are too many self appointed moral guardians who seem to think that everyone has to behave in a certain way or it's somehow against the laws of what being into soul music is about.

I once compiled a dvd of mega rare clips, none of which were available commercially, oh no we can't have that, you're bootlegging the artists and depriving them of royalties cried the self-righteous brothers. No I wasn't, and everyone was deprived of the chance of seeing some fantastic footage, much of which is still not in circulation as I was made to remove my dvd. So I can watch it, but you can't, because seven or eight people couldn't stand the thought of me making a bit of money from material that in many cases, I sourced and paid good money for myself.

By the way, in Soul Source world you are also not allowed to like or enjoy records by white people as these are not real soul records.

Beeks, you have to just stand up to these people and tell them where to go mate.

Social source share

Cabbage Alley

Current band from Manchester

£5 to buy the record

Covered up

Sold for top dollar by a very popular Northern DJ who I will not name

Where's the lynch mob?

whistling.gif

As one of my old boss's used to say to me ,when i made a mistake by copying someone else's work

"TWO WRONG'S DON'T MAKE A RIGHT"!

Social source share

Guest Blackwingedangel

See above and Little Rachel has gained far more publicity from this than if I would have played it uncovered

Also why not chose to ignore the fact I have her CD sitting on my table next to my computer as we speak rolleyes.gif

As have you mate! ( & any publicity is good eh?yes.gif)thumbup.gif

Social source share

The problem with this site, and it's always been like this, is that there are too many self appointed moral guardians who seem to think that everyone has to behave in a certain way or it's somehow against the laws of what being into soul music is about.

I once compiled a dvd of mega rare clips, none of which were available commercially, oh no we can't have that, you're bootlegging the artists and depriving them of royalties cried the self-righteous brothers. No I wasn't, and everyone was deprived of the chance of seeing some fantastic footage, much of which is still not in circulation as I was made to remove my dvd. So I can watch it, but you can't, because seven or eight people couldn't stand the thought of me making a bit of money from material that in many cases, I sourced and paid good money for myself.

By the way, in Soul Source world you are also not allowed to like or enjoy records by white people as these are not real soul records.

Beeks, you have to just stand up to these people and tell them where to go mate.

Thanks Pete for the support

Thing is a lot of these self appointed Copyright messiahs will regularly download tracks from sharing websites/youtube etc etc without a care in the world

They are only arsed when it suits them

I've made my point anyway...can't be arsed arguing the toss anymore

The people who know me know all about my passion for the music and my belief in trying to do something different...the small minority on here who seem to take offence at me will have no bearing on the way I conduct myself in the future wink.gif

Social source share

Lol sooner read the football bullshit than this bullshit lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

It's easier to relate to football though. I would literally lie awake at night and worry about the Wolves, but I wouldn't lie awake at night worrying about Becks doing a carver off a cd.

Social source share

Pete ..you just don't get it whistling.gifno.gif

Social source share

Thanks Pete for the support

Thing is a lot of these self appointed Copyright messiahs will regularly download tracks from sharing websites/youtube etc etc without a care in the world

They are only arsed when it suits them

I've made my point anyway...can't be arsed arguing the toss anymore

The people who know me know all about my passion for the music and my belief in trying to do something different...the small minority on here who seem to take offence at me will have no bearing on the way I conduct myself in the future wink.gif

It's not just you - it's anyone who upsets the status quo. Northern Soul used to be such a happy place to be, it's so f-cking serious nowadays.

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

Pete, you're my kind of fellow. JUST See a few of e'm walking into Wigan bogs and preaching morality.

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

It's easier to relate to football though. I would literally lie awake at night and worry about the Wolves, but I wouldn't lie awake at night worrying about Becks doing a carver off a cd. Did'nt ya ever wake up in the middle of the night on the days you were plaing Stoke Pete. ** Wolves v Stoke, Staffordshire's best derby game by far for me.

Social source share

I'm sorry but the soul scene can be the LEAST judgemental when it comes to profiting from artists/writers

What about all the Soul artists still alive who don't get a single cent from Soul collectors who exchange records for astronomical prices?

Doesn't wash with me i'm afraid

And while we are on the subject of Cover Ups

I'm not the first...nor will I be the last to try and profit from them

Wheras I was intending on making a small sum...there are plenty on here who have sold £20 record b-sides for £100+ covered up

Again...hypocrisy sleep3.gif

mhhh,

nothing against you Beeks, but from my personal point of view one thing is selling a record which is 30-40 years old, LEGITIMATELY released by a label at the time (and it's actually the label that should have paid the artist at the time), for any sum.

If this was illegal/immoral, everytime you buy an old/antique piece of furniture, the seller should pay some royalties to the original manufacturer or to his relatives, very unlikely from my point of view...

and a totally different thing is bootlegging (in this case "releasing" not for personal enjoyment but for a (albeit small) profit without permission from the artist/label ) a recording which is currently available and being sold on the market. I'm quite sure that the artist would not agree with you bootlegging her recording, keeping her identity covered and selling it on for a profit.

hope everything is clear... thumbsup.gif

giulio

Social source share

I agree with most on this particular point. It's difficult enough for new artists to sell anything in quantity these days without their material being covered up and boot legged. If it was as easy as trawling download sites, obtaining some decent retro sounds, covering them up and cutting carvers, then we'd could all be the next Butch without too much difficulty.

Social source share

Ha! Just keep playing Marchin - Camp Pete! Hup 2, 3, 4,laugh.gif Know you love those deep soulful pieces.

From a man who thinks GEORGE HOBSON is shite...i take any insult from you, as a compliment...so thanks mate.thumbsup.gif

I can assure you that I'm not on my own as far as George Hobson goes!

Plus of course you also overlook the fact that I sell a couple of thousand great records every year and only ever comment about one of them.

Disappointing.

Social source share

There have been bigger and rarer (and better) records than this uncovered on soul source. I do agree it isn't right getting carvers done of a cd track and flogging them to fellow soulies :boxing::yes:

Well you would Chalky...i'm hardly on your Christmas card list as it is :wicked:

Social source share

Well you would Chalky...i'm hardly on your Christmas card list as it is :wicked:

considering I don't send cards :boxing:

Just think if the boot was on the other foot and someone sold you a carver of a cover up and you find out it is off a cd...you wouldn't be very pleased if you are totally honest, I wouldn't be.

But at the end of the day the worst thing you can do is post a sound file of a record covered up on here, it will be uncovered in no time, as you found out to your cost.

Social source share

Just think if the boot was on the other foot and someone sold you a carver of a cover up and you find out it is off a cd...you wouldn't be very pleased if you are totally honest, I wouldn't be.

I wouldn't be arsed at all if i'd not heard it before and liked it...was gonna cost me £20 each from timmion...might have put another tenner on top...£30 for a decent record nobody knows? I'd pay that in my sleep...If I later found out it was off a CD would I be pissed? Not one bit...:boxing:

Anyway...I said I wouldn't get into this again and here I am...so i'll leave you bitter old men to it :wicked:

Social source share

considering I don't send cards whistling.gif

But at the end of the day the worst thing you can do is post a sound file of a record covered up on here, it will be uncovered in no time, as you found out to your cost.

Instead of persecuting Beeks and goin round in circles with this ...and before it get's ugly ..why don't we just have a poll ??

Is Beeks out of order / is he not ../don't care whistling.gif

Social source share

Instead of persecuting Beeks and goin round in circles with this ...and before it get's ugly ..why don't we just have a poll ??

Is Beeks out of order / is he not ../don't care whistling.gif

Why don't we fucking not...and may I remind you you're in my manor for christmas :boxing:

Social source share

Ayye ...Im travelling down with my good friend Bullywicked.gif

Nev I don't give a fuck who you're travelling with to be honest...if I was inclined...which at the moment i'm not...I could bring a host of friends...i'm just saying enough

sick of this thread now to be honest

completely unwarranted

Social source share

Guest Blackwingedangel

Nev I don't give a fuck who you're travelling with to be honest...if I was inclined...which at the moment i'm not...I could bring a host of friends...i'm just saying enough

sick of this thread now to be honest

completely unwarranted

What I dont get is....how come the original (no pun intended) thread started by Beeks was locked after a few (unwarranted imho) comments and yet this one it seems has been allowed to drone on and on and (Arist) on? sleep3.gif

Social source share

Just fucking leave it Gail...I'm on the R&B scene...wtf do I care what these twats think...never met most of them...and the ones I've met wouldn't say boo to a ghost

Internet fucking warriors

Social source share