• Replies 99
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No need

Agreed Davie, no need whatsoever.A bit 'playground like' (imho) .:rolleyes:

Agree with this, totally no need for you to post this thread Cliff. Unnecessary, uncalled for and basically insulting.

Agreed Davie, no need whatsoever.A bit 'playground like' (imho) .:rolleyes:

No, this sort of pish needs to be exposed!! Top dj my a--se!whistling

Hi Paul,

Not to your taste perhaps and we all like different things and are all entitled to say if we think something is good/poor....but I've heard Russ play this out twice and on both occasions it's had people up on the floor dancing and got others asking after it. IMO sounds great on a big system and fair play to Russ for having the balls to search out and play something outside the 'norm'.

Adam.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

i like it...whatever kind of music it may be described as...........no suprise there then...................but there is a lack of respect for others tastes on here , wether people like it or not , despite the name the forum isnt just about soul anymore, eg . all the football bullshit postedsleep3.gifph34r.gif i try not to be personal,........................ its hard , but i do try laugh.gif ............remember theres plenty of suprises lurking in them record boxes , u never know whos gonna have what, for all you know i might have some soul records hidden under the popcorn etcwicked.gif ................ezzie.............

Social source share

i like it...whatever kind of music it may be described as...........no suprise there then...................but there is a lack of respect for others tastes on here , wether people like it or not , despite the name the forum isnt just about soul anymore, eg . all the football bullshit postedsleep3.gifph34r.gif i try not to be personal,........................ its hard , but i do try laugh.gif ............remember theres plenty of suprises lurking in them record boxes , u never know whos gonna have what, for all you know i might have some soul records hidden under the popcorn etcwicked.gif ................ezzie.............

The football bullshit is posted in freebasing, if you don't like it then don't read it simples.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The football bullshit is posted in freebasing, if you don't like it then don't read it simples.

Mark Bicknell.

Agreed. Personally I think the width of debate in forums is great. The 'Soul' bit works on a dual basis. There is tons of Soul stuff which we can all enjoy and then when you get in a steaming argument with people in the other forums there is always still that mutual love of the music, which can diffuse things and let us realise we all have something in common.

(Ooops, Just read that back and realised it sounds great in theory until you acknowledge some of the most bloodthirsty rows on here are actually in the 'Soul' section!)

Oh well, lets stick to 'don't read it if you don't want to then!'thumbsup.gif

Social source share

whats this doing in sales then - Should be Look in your box - OOOH I forgot I shouldnt have said that!

Anyhow my opinion is if you put your head above the trench someone is going to have a pop at you!

However its wrong to speculate who the Dj is playing it - The Dj should be named and then people can have a more calculated opinion about it.

Social source share

whats this doing in sales then - Should be Look in your box - OOOH I forgot I shouldnt have said that!

Anyhow my opinion is if you put your head above the trench someone is going to have a pop at you!

However its wrong to speculate who the Dj is playing it - The Dj should be named and then people can have a more calculated opinion about it.

Cliff was being facetious in his original post in my opinion. It's Beeks cover up and him who's playing it. The whole point of this is that people found out what it was straight away and are making fun of Beeks for whatever reason. If I'd discovered it I'd have been pleased, it's a great dancer, though I could honestly post 20 tracks of a similar style that are probably unknown (all off cd compilations)

Social source share

its not speculation ernie its a follow on from some heated debate on some previous threads. Do try and keep up biggrin.gif

just a bit of mud slinging.

she looks like that fat indie rock star whose name slips my mind. g.gif

Social source share

Cliff was being facetious in his original post in my opinion. It's Beeks cover up and him who's playing it. The whole point of this is that people found out what it was straight away and are making fun of Beeks for whatever reason. If I'd discovered it I'd have been pleased, it's a great dancer, though I could honestly post 20 tracks of a similar style that are probably unknown (all off cd compilations)

Thanks for that Pete - Did he have an original copy or did he get it carved from a cd as it infers thats where its come from- If its the latter then shame on him and he should be ridiculed if its the former how many of us have covered up records that were crap in many peoples opinion!

I first covered up - She chased me -Bobby Goldsboro( I listen to it now and think - Why the hell did I do that?) I should have been shot!

Social source share

i like it...whatever kind of music it may be described as...........no suprise there then...................but there is a lack of respect for others tastes on here , wether people like it or not , despite the name the forum isnt just about soul anymore, eg . all the football bullshit postedsleep3.gifph34r.gif i try not to be personal,........................ its hard , but i do try :lol: ............remember theres plenty of suprises lurking in them record boxes , u never know whos gonna have what, for all you know i might have some soul records hidden under the popcorn etcwicked.gif ................ezzie.............

Christ alive!! Learn something new everyday......had no idea you liked popcorn Ezzie :g::lol:

.....and so you should be Steve.....:lol:....very glad to say this isn't in my hot box (or should I say hot CD wallet)..ph34r.gif

Why start this thread Cliff?? The only reason i can think of is it's an attempt (failed btw) to make yourself look clever. You may not like this track and obviously you're free to say so but why do you feel the need to try and ridicule and belittle Russ at the same time? Surely your ego is big enough already that it doesn't need any further inflating....

Hardly surprising that very little new blood enters the scene when all the treatment they get from people like yourself is contempt and lack of respect.

Oh and it's CD only and a new release so why the dig about 'hot CD wallet'? How else are you meant to play it apart from carving it?

For the record...I've heard you DJ several times and I've heard Russ DJ several times. Given a choice I'd listen and dance to an hour of Russ behind the decks every time. Of course thats probably because I always prefer to see somebody with obvious enthusiasm for the music playing stuff they love and have worked hard to find and also because I do like music I can dance to.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

This is going down the same road as so many threads on here and turning nasty already, seems like you can't have an opinion on here sometimes, for what it's worth I do have an opinion on this but for the sake of not wanting to start world war three I'll keep it to myself, just to add to be an inovator or maverick on this scene you have to know your subject and have a good ear for a tune and sometimes this art or skill is lost in the mix.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Christ alive!! Learn something new everyday......had no idea you liked popcorn Ezzie laugh.gifthumbsup.gif

Why start this thread Cliff?? The only reason i can think of is it's an attempt (failed btw) to make yourself look clever. You may not like this track and obviously you're free to say so but why do you feel the need to try and ridicule and belittle Russ at the same time? Surely your ego is big enough already that it doesn't need any further inflating....

Hardly surprising that very little new blood enters the scene when all the treatment they get from people like yourself is contempt and lack of respect.

Oh and it's CD only and a new release so why the dig about 'hot CD wallet'? How else are you meant to play it apart from carving it?

For the record...I've heard you DJ several times and I've heard Russ DJ several times. Given a choice I'd listen and dance to an hour of Russ behind the decks every time. Of course thats probably because I always prefer to see somebody with obvious enthusiasm for the music playing stuff they love and have worked hard to find and also because I do like music I can dance to.

Hi Adam,

Firstly, I only know the track because Beeks claimed it as his cover up and then got all upset and had a hissy fit because a few found out what it was. I didn't know that anyone else was playing it, and how would I ?

Secondly, and let's talk about respect....what kind of guy finds (or claims to, if Russ beat him to it) a CD track, covers it up, and then offers to sell carvers from it. I couldn't care less whether it's rock'n' roll or soul....it's just plain wrong.

And finally, don't you think you're taking this all a bit too seriously....laugh.giflaugh.gif

Don't suppose you want that CD I owe you now then......6.gif

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

Records have historically been covered up for a variety of reasons.

They've always been fair game for 'uncovering'.

Often the amount of respect given to a particular deejay's covered records is in direct proportion to that person's standing on the scene: think of how long the paper remained on many of Searling's biggest spins despite their identity being common knowledge to some for decades. Covering something you can buy from amazon.com is fraught with difficulty, I would have thought, particularly if the person doing the covering-up has in the past been prone to having a confrontational stance with regard to scene politics or etiquette.

This record is released on a Finnish label I understand and is in a consciously retro style, so nothing really materially different from playing a Nicole Willis track or anything else on Timmion. For what it's worth I think it's a pretty fair stab at recreating the sound it's aiming for, and I can imagine the artist involved being good fun to see live. For me there are enough underexposed old American soul records out there to not have to resort to playing a track of this nature, but I stress that's a choice made from a purely personal perspective. Others will clearly disagree with me as is their prerogative.

A few people have said they like it, though, so in creating interest in a record which people might otherwise not have been exposed to Beeks deserves a bit of credit in some ways. Had he been able to do that without the cover-up is debatable, but like I state at the top records have been historically covered for a plethora of reasons, some of which are often quite complex.

Social source share

its not speculation ernie its a follow on from some heated debate on some previous threads. Do try and keep up biggrin.gif

just a bit of mud slinging.

she looks like that fat indie rock star whose name slips my mind. g.gif

Yes I should keep up and know it allunsure.gif I shall have one of my slaves take me outside and give me a good whipping for not reading other related threads and only concentrating on this one where someone asks "Is Keb playing this" Thats why I said we should not speculate.

I feel thoroughly chastised now.

Now Dylan remember that thread about ????? Keep up my good manking.gif

Social source share

Might just be me, but i find it a bit off that the bloke who started the "cover-up" thread bout this new release CD was gonna do "carvers" and trade or sell em!!! unsure.gif can understand it a bit if it was some un-issued thing that no one knew who owned? but surely if he rates this track so much then give the bleedin lass some credit! esp. as she's currently in the music industry, and has just issued it, and would gain from it's exposure!... or am just not with it?unsure.gif

steve

Social source share

Records have historically been covered up for a variety of reasons.

They've always been fair game for 'uncovering'.

Often the amount of respect given to a particular deejay's covered records is in direct proportion to that person's standing on the scene: think of how long the paper remained on many of Searling's biggest spins despite their identity being common knowledge to some for decades. Covering something you can buy from amazon.com is fraught with difficulty, I would have thought, particularly if the person doing the covering-up has in the past been prone to having a confrontational stance with regard to scene politics or etiquette.

This record is released on a Finnish label I understand and is in a consciously retro style, so nothing really materially different from playing a Nicole Willis track or anything else on Timmion. For what it's worth I think it's a pretty fair stab at recreating the sound it's aiming for, and I can imagine the artist involved being good fun to see live. For me there are enough underexposed old American soul records out there to not have to resort to playing a track of this nature, but I stress that's a choice made from a purely personal perspective. Others will clearly disagree with me as is their prerogative.

A few people have said they like it, though, so in creating interest in a record which people might otherwise not have been exposed to Beeks deserves a bit of credit in some ways. Had he been able to do that without the cover-up is debatable, but like I state at the top records have been historically covered for a plethora of reasons, some of which are often quite complex.

A good and reasoned post Gareth, makes a lot of sense.

I've been watching this thread and the others and so far resisted the urge to jump in but I think I will, just to make two points:

1) Beeks did not do this to share the track with anyone. He covered it up and posted a snippet. It looks to me like he was on some misguided quest for personal glory.

2) He has been playing it out, presumably on an acetate/carver type thing. He also offered to get some made and (by inference) sell these to others.

Both of these are wrong and in the second case, illegal.

The track? Well, I quite like the vocal but the backing track doesn't grab me.

That's it from me, carry on chaps!

John.

Social source share

Might just be me, but i find it a bit off that the bloke who started the "cover-up" thread bout this new release CD was gonna do "carvers" and trade or sell em!!! unsure.gif can understand it a bit if it was some un-issued thing that no one knew who owned? but surely if he rates this track so much then give the bleedin lass some credit! esp. as she's currently in the music industry, and has just issued it, and would gain from it's exposure!... or am just not with it?unsure.gif

steve

From a moral point of view this is the crux of the matter.

Social source share

Yes I should keep up and know it allunsure.gif I shall have one of my slaves take me outside and give me a good whipping for not reading other related threads and only concentrating on this one where someone asks "Is Keb playing this" Thats why I said we should not speculate.

I feel thoroughly chastised now.

Now Dylan remember that thread about ????? Keep up my good manking.gif

ernie my comment was a joke hence the smiley face. Off couse I don't expect you to follow every thread.

I don't take these kind of threads to seriously I think this forum is at its best when its friendly banter and informative chat about soul music.

so who is this keb charactor then.....

Social source share

Hi Adam,

Firstly, I only know the track because Beeks claimed it as his cover up and then got all upset and had a hissy fit because a few found out what it was. I didn't know that anyone else was playing it, and how would I ?

Secondly, and let's talk about respect....what kind of guy finds (or claims to, if Russ beat him to it) a CD track, covers it up, and then offers to sell carvers from it. I couldn't care less whether it's rock'n' roll or soul....it's just plain wrong.

And finally, don't you think you're taking this all a bit too seriously....:thumbsup::shades:

Don't suppose you want that CD I owe you now then......6.gif

Cliff,

Nobody else apart from Beeks was playing it as far as I'm aware....Beeks = Russ. Not even the cruelest of parents would actually name their kid Beeks, would they :thumbsup:.

As for covering this up and offering a carver....well IMO that's no worse (or better) than covering up a vinyl new release such as Smoove or Cabbage Alley and then selling them still covered for £100+ when they are still easily available at Amazon for under £5.

Taking too seriously? No don't think I am. If you had started a thread saying 'Cover Up...Uncovered' and posted the link and said here's the real identity of the cover up being discussed in the media section. I don't like it, to me it's a pile of cr*p and to save people paying to get a carver I've posted a link so you can just buy the CD and do your own carver. Then I wouldn't think you'd done anything wrong and doubt I'd have even posted. But instead you posted "Top" "DJ" rock 'n' roll c/u......Ruby Ramirez....."Shorty something or other....." "Little Man" and let's be honest the way you've posted that it's obviously your intention to ridicule the person who covered it ie Beeks/Russ. I'd have far more respect for you if you just posted your thoughts on the music without the personal digs that go with it.

Setting aside the arguments we've had on here recently and any bad feeling thats generated....you've been on the scene a long time, have a good reputation built upon an excellent collection of music and have a broad range of tastes. That I respect and I quite often listen to stuff you post in refosoul, some of which is not to my taste and some of which I've thoroughly enjoyed. My dig about the DJ thing was unfair and I apologise, you are a good DJ and you play some great stuff....though I personally prefer to hear stuff with a harder, grittier edge when i'm out but I know plenty of others don't. I just don't understand why you insist on making comments where in addition to giving your opinion you also make it clear that those who disagree are lacking in taste and are inferior in some way to you.

As for the CD, yes I still would love to receive one from you. As I'm sure you have found out with the CD I sent to you, even if you don't like listening to them, they do make excellent coasters for your tea or coffee mugs :thumbup::yes:

Social source share

I dont want to get involved in any of the other issues, but what i would say is, if you cover something up, by posting the track on SS your giving it the best chance possible to get it uncovered as quickly as possible.............i respect anyone who does there best to find records that are not the same old same old, but surely it should have been played out by said DJ in sets & let the mystique of the cover up do its thing, posting it up on here is almost like a challenge IMO.

rUSS

Social source share

:thumbsup:

I wasn't going to post on what can only be described as one of the most childish threads i've seen on any forum let alone one between consenting adults

But just thought i'd clear a few things up

I am/was the only DJ plying this out

I found it whilst browsing the many R&B sales sites I frequent by complete accident...loved it...saw dancefloor potential and immediately bought a copy of the CD which I then sent to Timmion in Finland to get carved onto acetate.

I had already asked Little Rachel personally (I befriended her on myspace) If she had an official 7inch available and if not was it ok to play a carved copy in my sets which she agreed to

Yes I was disappointed that once on here it got discovered straight away...but after doing a search on the lyrics I realised it was very easy to find so more fool me I suppose...Was pissed because it was my baby and regardless of it's origin...I discovered it and have played it out to a very appreciative audience

Yes I was going to carve some up at £20 a pop from timmion and sell them on for a small profit but why the fuck shouldn't I? It was my find and for all the donkey work I was going to do it's not unreasonable to want a little on top

This thread has fuck all to do with a great R&B find though

It's to do with 'Man with seagull on head' getting a bee in his bonnet that I called him names in another thread after he personally attacked me there too :shades:

Seems controversy surrounds me even when unwarranted

Last I have to say on the subject...just thought id clear it up

And next time you hear this out in an R&B club to a packed floor think of me :thumbsup:

Or alternatively hear it being played loud at 'Out Of The Blue' 21st November at the Salutation in Manchester

(Shameless and well deserved plug) :thumbup:

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

laugh.gif

I wasn't going to post on what can only be described as one of the most childish threads i've seen on any forum let alone one between consenting adults

But just thought i'd clear a few things up

I am/was the only DJ plying this out

I found it whilst browsing the many R&B sales sites I frequent by complete accident...loved it...saw dancefloor potential and immediately bought a copy of the CD which I then sent to Timmion in Finland to get carved onto acetate.

I had already asked Little Rachel personally (I befriended her on myspace) If she had an official 7inch available and if not was it ok to play a carved copy in my sets which she agreed to

Yes I was disappointed that once on here it got discovered straight away...but after doing a search on the lyrics I realised it was very easy to find so more fool me I suppose...Was pissed because it was my baby and regardless of it's origin...I discovered it and have played it out to a very appreciative audience

Yes I was going to carve some up at £20 a pop from timmion and sell them on for a small profit but why the fuck shouldn't I? It was my find and for all the donkey work I was going to do it's not unreasonable to want a little on top

This thread has fuck all to do with a great R&B find though

It's to do with 'Man with seagull on head' getting a bee in his bonnet that I called him names in another thread after he personally attacked me there too laugh.gif

Seems controversy surrounds me even when unwarranted

Last I have to say on the subject...just thought id clear it up

And next time you hear this out in an R&B club to a packed floor think of me shades.gif

Or alternatively hear it being played loud at 'Out Of The Blue' 21st November at the Salutation in Manchester

(Shameless and well deserved plug) wicked.gif

Gareth! wot was that Chinese proverb bout opening ya flies???laugh.gif

Sorry Beeks, but what ya said just sounds like a load of twaddle! did Little Rachel know ya was gonna carve it and call it Ruby Wotsits!, Really does credit to the music ya love that!

And I'd like to think that if anyone heard this played out, they would think of the Artist! not the bloke behind the decks!!! Jeeze!

steve

Social source share

Amazing that you really don't see any wrong in that....no, you go on all your hard work, you deserve it....why should the artist and the production team get any recognition.....you really are the limit....mellow.gif

Almost as hard to believe as the fact you'd rather sell your mates c/u carvers than direct them to CD Baby...unreal..

Social source share

Amazing that you really don't see any wrong in that....no, you go on all your hard work, you deserve it....why should the artist and the production team get any recognition.....you really are the limit....mellow.gif

Almost as hard to believe as the fact you'd rather sell your mates c/u carvers than direct them to CD Baby...unreal..

Give it a rest illiterate boy...havn't you got a creche to go to? :Dlaugh.gif

Social source share

"I had already asked Little Rachel personally (I befriended her on myspace) If she had an official 7inch available and if not was it ok to play a carved copy in my sets which she agreed to"

But was she on the understanding you were gonna play it under a pseudonym Beekswicked.gif

I cannot imagine a current artist would want there material being credited to someone else no.gif

Maybe we should invite her on the thread and ask her yes.gif

Only way to resolve this boys ..is a good old fashioned arm wrestling competition or maybe even a pie eating compbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Yes I was going to carve some up at £20 a pop from timmion and sell them on for a small profit but why the fuck shouldn't I?

Because it's called bootlegging and it's illegal! g.gif Like what's previously been stated, why not just direct people to where they can buy the CD? Why should you profit before the artist/writers & performers? :D

Social source share

Because it's called bootlegging and it's illegal! :D Like what's previously been stated, why not just direct people to where they can buy the CD? Why should you profit before the artist/writers & performers? huh.gif

I'm sorry but the soul scene can be the LEAST judgemental when it comes to profiting from artists/writers

What about all the Soul artists still alive who don't get a single cent from Soul collectors who exchange records for astronomical prices?

Doesn't wash with me i'm afraid

And while we are on the subject of Cover Ups

I'm not the first...nor will I be the last to try and profit from them

Wheras I was intending on making a small sum...there are plenty on here who have sold £20 record b-sides for £100+ covered up

Again...hypocrisy :D

Social source share

I'm sorry but the soul scene can be the LEAST judgemental when it comes to profiting from artists/writers

What about all the Soul artists still alive who don't get a single cent from Soul collectors who exchange records for astronomical prices?

Doesn't wash with me i'm afraid

And while we are on the subject of Cover Ups

I'm not the first...nor will I be the last to try and profit from them

Wheras I was intending on making a small sum...there are plenty on here who have sold £20 record b-sides for £100+ covered up

Again...hypocrisy :D

I am sorry that you don't get it. shades.gif

The artist has a CD on sale and you are making illegal copies for profit without telling them? :D

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Social source share