What's Your Favourite 45 Picture Sleeve ?

The Tempest

• Replies 47
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

290296851729.jpg330357684333.jpg

2542103228.jpg250165024430.jpg

320105121443.jpg160245030272.jpgthumbup.gif

Thanks for putting these up. There's something magical about seeing these artists who were only a vision in one's mind because of their obscurity. I just love to see these rare obscurities from overseas.

For instance I never knew that the 7 Souls were a mixed race group and for some reason I imagined Joey Hetherington to be a man (never having heard a track by her I hasten to say!)

The Panic is On track is that a cover of Roy Hamilton ?

Also, could you state country of origin ?

I always wondered why some countries didn't use pictures of the artists I guess that they weren't always available to them. The Ray Pollard would certainly look better with a pic.

I once went to Portugal and found some fabulous singles and eps with picture covers. I'd put some up but can't get my scanner to work at the moment.

thanks anyway.

Social source share

Dave, as strange as it is, the Ray Pollard is from France, where most of the 45's had some beautiful picture sleeves.

An exception to the rule ?

Maybe it was an exception, sure has a couple of exceptional tracks to make up for the plain cover mate ?

I'd love to own that myself.

Best

Dave

Here's an Italian Motown, nice sleeve imo.

post-1408-12578841636942_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Was especially fond of that Seven Souls Italian fisheye lens sleeve after finding one at a NYC record fair for $10, seller was a weird Polish geezer who had all his 45's in vertical stacks by alphabet so the S pile was particularly tall and wobbly, luckily he had an unusual European Small Faces sleeve on the top so figured worth the effort. Ended up selling it via JM, on his old site desigh was the very1st picture that loaded on his main page which was always worth a smile. Not as good a record but the Italian sleeve for their version of Fire is also pretty eye-catching

Fave sleeve here is probably the French Paul Sindab ep with You dropped your candy in the sand, although also a sucker for the Italian issue of Herbie Goins Cruisin as it looks like he's having the time of his life at a soul party in the photo.

Funniest are 2 linked to artists we had on at Dig Deeper - first off was Tami Lynn was not at all impressed to find out her French ep has a picture of a white girl on it instead of her, ouch, and then Harvey Scales when I presented him with a French PS which, instead of any depiction of him, is simply a close up of....a sofa, wha?, have a great photo of him looking at it utterly non-plussed biggrin.gif

Social source share

Funniest are 2 linked to artists we had on at Dig Deeper - first off was Tami Lynn was not at all impressed to find out her French ep has a picture of a white girl on it instead of her, ouch, and then Harvey Scales when I presented him with a French PS which, instead of any depiction of him, is simply a close up of....a sofa, wha?, have a great photo of him looking at it utterly non-plussed biggrin.gif

This pic sleeve hopefully is Tami, but maybe not looking her best, in fact surely not looking at other pics I've seen of her.

post-1408-12579772977727.jpg

Edited by Briles
Social source share

Dave, as strange as it is, the Ray Pollard is from France, where most of the 45's had some beautiful picture sleeves.

An exception to the rule ?

carr%20james1788.jpg

pp%20arnold%201877.jpg

johnson%20marv%202C00690735.jpg

Not so surprising given the French appreciation for Modern Art?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Funniest are 2 linked to artists we had on at Dig Deeper - first off was Tami Lynn was not at all impressed to find out her French ep has a picture of a white girl on it instead of her, ouch biggrin.gif

In the U.S.A. too, a lot of black artists had white people on their covers, Isley Brothers, Chantels, etc...

lynn%20tama%20111.jpg

Social source share

Few samples of French issues...if all French 4 tracks EP are known (a book came out in the 80's named "Fabulous EP covers" by Daniel Delorme)...100's of 45's (not EP format) were issued in France with sleeves...and 30 to 40% are unknown!

post-11665-12580265906172_thumb.jpg

post-11665-12580266079271_thumb.jpg

post-11665-12580266266296_thumb.jpg

post-11665-12580266567313_thumb.jpg

post-11665-12580266723243_thumb.jpg

post-11665-12580266894055_thumb.jpg

post-11665-12580267066449_thumb.jpg

post-11665-1258026728201_thumb.jpg

post-11665-12580268113372_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Few samples of French issues...if all French 4 tracks EP are known (a book came out in the 80's named "Fabulous EP covers" by Daniel Delorme)...100's of 45's (not EP format) were issued in France with sleeves...and 30 to 40% are unknown!

Thanks for the info on the book, I've managed to find a used copy VG+, cheers rom1.

Social source share

davy ive just picked that sam dee,s out of me box from about 20yr ago,thats the only time ive seen anybody wiv it..i remember wen my kids where that small to now there all bloody 6 foot..great pic..x

thats my wee nephew m8 and i always get em to listen to tunes soon as there born m8 thanks davy :thumbsup::thumbup:

Social source share

That's a Beauty, Mate.

Cheers Roger, a prized possesion, made better by the fact his Daughter Sharon has seen it and says it's the youngest picture she has seen of her Dad and the only one at the time he was performing. Great thread by the way, my fav on here got to be the Italian Frank Beverly, wish I had that ! Best, Dave.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert