Jean Plum - The Hi Singles

John Reed

Look At The Boy / Back To You - 2297

Here I Go Again / I Love Him - 2314

Pour On The Loving / You Ask Me - 78515

Three singles and great examples of southern soul, easy to get on demo, tricky to get on issue.

So, how hard is it to get an issue of Look At The Boy.

How many of you have got it and what do you think is a fair price?

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Look At The Boy / Back To You - 2297

Here I Go Again / I Love Him - 2314

Pour On The Loving / You Ask Me - 78515

Three singles and great examples of southern soul, easy to get on demo, tricky to get on issue.

So, how hard is it to get an issue of Look At The Boy.

How many of you have got it and what do you think is a fair price?

Hi John,

A couple of years ago this same question came up and, because I've got a stack of Hi 45's, I remember thinking I must have had a spare issue (I certainly had a catalogue number on my Hi listing). Some months later when I checked, not only did I not have a spare, I didn't have an issue at all!

I had UK issues and UK demos and US Demo's of "Look At The Boy" but no US Issue. I bought the record as a new release and have played it out many times over the past 30 odd years, more especially at Soul Essence, in recent years, so surprised I haven't got an issue in there somewhere!

I remember someone said that Butch had some issue copies that he'd been selling at £30 or £40(?) which I would have thought would be a fair price.

I've got issues and Demos of the other Jean Plum 45's you mention (all superb) but, no LATB.

Knowing how you have an 'issue' fetish, I think it would make a tidy addition to your collection, mate, if one comes up!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Hi John,

A couple of years ago this same question came up and, because I've got a stack of Hi 45's, I remember thinking I must have had a spare issue (I certainly had a catalogue number on my Hi listing). Some months later when I checked, not only did I not have a spare, I didn't have an issue at all!

I had UK issues and UK demos and US Demo's of "Look At The Boy" but no US Issue. I bought the record as a new release and have played it out many times over the past 30 odd years, more especially at Soul Essence, in recent years, so surprised I haven't got an issue in there somewhere!

I remember someone said that Butch had some issue copies that he'd been selling at £30 or £40(?) which I would have thought would be a fair price.

I've got issues and Demos of the other Jean Plum 45's you mention (all superb) but, no LATB.

Knowing how you have an 'issue' fetish, I think it would make a tidy addition to your collection, mate, if one comes up!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Hello Lads..........Hope all is well with you boththumbup.gif

Just a quick one[as the Actress said to the Bishop]........

I have Hi Demo`s of both L.A.T.B. and H.I.G.A but i never have seen Demo`s of Pour on the Loving. I only have an issue of that[and a mint spare too i think if anyones interested].

This train spotting lark is great isnt itshades.gif

Speak soon,

Ivor

Social source share

Hello Lads..........Hope all is well with you boththumbup.gif

Just a quick one[as the Actress said to the Bishop]........

I have Hi Demo`s of both L.A.T.B. and H.I.G.A but i never have seen Demo`s of Pour on the Loving. I only have an issue of that[and a mint spare too i think if anyones interested].

This train spotting lark is great isnt itshades.gif

Speak soon,

Ivor

Hi Ivor,

I have "Pour On The Loving" Demo (Double sided White) and a Black issue.

Nice enough record, the issue though has the INCREDIBLE "You Ask Me" on t'other side, so somebody should be snatching your hand off for the spare!

Hope you're well mate.

Sean

Social source share

Took me a long time to get all six sides on US 45, which I now have. Slight problem with the earlier two singles is that while both were/are mint they suffer from a bit of styrene roughness, leading to a lot of distortion in the louder passages which means I don't actually play them as often as I should. This seems to be quite a common problem across much of the London distributed Hi catalogue. The later Cream-distributed singles are mostly on vinyl for issue copies, styrene for some demos.

A shame as the music is truly superb. A small but significant body of work to rival anything on the label. US hip hop producers clearly think the same as there are a plethora of tracks which sample liberally from Ms. Plum's output.

Also worth checking out her unissued at the time "Loneliness" which appeared on the CD anthology she shared with Veneice Starks some years back.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Also worth checking out her unissued at the time "Loneliness" which appeared on the CD anthology she shared with Veneice Starks some years back.

Agree Gareth,

A beautiful track, much 'darker' than her other sides.

Also, checkout "Today I Sing The Blues" from the Royal Memphis Soul boxed set.

Bluesy and Soulful, just as I like 'em!

Sean

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Took me a long time to get all six sides on US 45, which I now have. Slight problem with the earlier two singles is that while both were/are mint they suffer from a bit of styrene roughness, leading to a lot of distortion in the louder passages which means I don't actually play them as often as I should. This seems to be quite a common problem across much of the London distributed Hi catalogue. The later Cream-distributed singles are mostly on vinyl for issue copies, styrene for some demos.

A shame as the music is truly superb. A small but significant body of work to rival anything on the label. US hip hop producers clearly think the same as there are a plethora of tracks which sample liberally from Ms. Plum's output.

Totally agree with Gareth on this,the earlier styrene Hi pressings can be rotten sounding. Thats why even though they dont look anywhere near as nice i play Uk London copy[Got a Us demo too] in preference to the US copies of Look At The Boy. Those Hi Demos sure look pretty though..........wanker.gif

I think i need a lie down,its been a long dayunsure.gif

Ivor

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert