Guest pls1

• Replies 62
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Might be remembering a load of bollox here but didn't he play with an early incarnation of Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers in Canada too. Slight Motown connection I suppose.

You're correct Dave. Bobby Taylor told me that Hendrix was in his band that backed his group Four N***ers and a Ch**k, but that he was fired after a couple of gigs because his guitar solos were too long and far too loud. This goes some way to explain why he gained popularity over here with the hippie/rock shower.

Edited by Rob Moss
Social source share

You're correct Dave. Bobby Taylor told me that Hendrix was in his band that backed his group Four N***ers and a Ch**k, but that he was fired after a couple of gigs because his guitar solos were too long and far too loud. This goes some way to explain why he gained popularity over here with the hippie/rock shower.

I thought I remembered something along those lines. Hey, that's a rather nice W/D in your avatar Rob. :lol:

Social source share

I thought I remembered something along those lines. Hey, that's a rather nice W/D in your avatar Rob. thumbsup.gif

Got it in Big D years ago, sold it to Carl Willingham then won the auction when Carl sold it on JM's site!! Love the song. Also have the instrumental (without strings) on a tape.

Social source share

maybe a myth but i am sure i read that joey dee claimed that he had hendrix in the starliters

Social source share

maybe a myth but i am sure i read that joey dee claimed that he had hendrix in the starliters

Hendrix was indeed a member of The Starlightrs , and toured with the group in late 1965 .

Malc Burton

Social source share

as a hendrix fan iv been wondering if anyone knows of anymore soul connections and is it true that he was a session musician at motown ?

When he lived in London he travelled to Manchester to get to see the Spellbinders, they were very

much mainstream soul singers so I'm guessing he was a soulman at heart (and a paratrooper !!)

Chris L

Social source share

My mate reckons he turned up at the Wheel one night to see The Spellbinders, who's backing band he'd once been in.

The Spellbinders toured Canada in 1965 & 66, they took their own backing band (it's only an hours drive

away :shhh: ) he had played with them, when they appeared in the UK in 1966 & 67 they came alone.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert