• Replies 62
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest James Trouble

The Utee by Rose Lee Brooks is pretty special and I believe, from reading the Hendrix fan forums, that this was the first record he was recorded on...

Social source share

Whoops, just seen your youtube posts, didn't show up on first reading...

a lot of arguing about hendrix on youtube g.gif . is it ? isnt it ? kind of thing . i try to keep out of it no.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

thanks for info ged

Edited by pls1
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

a lot of arguing about hendrix on youtube g.gif . is it ? isnt it ? kind of thing . i try to keep out of it no.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

thanks for info ged

I think it's pretty well respected opinion that it is Hendrix. I'll see if I can fish out some more hard facts, should be in my internet history somewhere...

Besides, you can tell by the playing alone, surely? That solo is so ahead of it's time, nothing else like it on a soul record that I've ever heard!

Interestingly Herman Hitson played in Hendrix's band.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

There is a huge amount of web stuff out there on Hendrix before he came to the UK, formed the Jimi Hendrix Experience and recorded for Polydor.

The Motown rumours are just that: rumours. He did play in bands which would have backed the Isley Brothers in a touring incarnation before they actually joined Motown, but by the same token this band would have backed twenty or thirty vocalists or vocal groups in a given year. The idea of self contained bands who would have backed the same vocalist on every gig and in every recording session was limited to very big names only: even Bobby Bland, Ray Charles and James Brown had a couple of bands who would have performed these duties in different parts of the country.

As James mentions a small part of Jimi's career was spent with Johnny Brantley in New York and New Jersey at the same time as Brantley was working with Lee Moses, Hermon Hitson, Gloria 'Towanda' Barnes and the Ohio Players etc. Quite how much recording he did was open to question and Brantley was not averse to cashing in on Jimi's later notoriety by re-issuing instrumental tracks as 'Jimi Hendrix masters' whether Jimi played on them or not. Bootlegs and semi-legal recordings have surfaced where the guitarist might be Hendrix but might equally have been Lee Moses or Hermon Hitson. The three guitarists certainly had a lot in common in their use of effects and general showmanship. The 350lb Lee Moses had much less chance of becoming a global superstar of course.

It's worth bearing in mind that while Hendrix was something of a revelation to a white 'pop' audience (this was really before that audience became a 'rock' one which Hendrix would help to define) his use of stagecraft like playing guitar with his teeth and behind his head, his use of effects pedals and feedback was kind of standard for touring R&B showmen going back to Johnny Jenkins and beyond. In the R&B world Hendrix was simply a journeyman. Taken out of that world and marketed as something exotic he was to become a phenomenon.

The youtube clip of The UT above is Rose Brooks of 'I'm Moanin'" fame by the way. She was a sometime girlfriend and signed to the big time (Liberty/Soul City) before Jimi himself.

For what it's worth I hear a lot of 'soul' in the recordings of The Jimi Hendrix Experience: he had a limited but undeniably charismatic voice and more than a few of the downtempo tracks have pleasing echoes of Curtis Mayfield, James Brown etc.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

There is a huge amount of web stuff out there on Hendrix before he came to the UK, formed the Jimi Hendrix Experience and recorded for Polydor.

The Motown rumours are just that: rumours. He did pay in bands which would have backed the Isley Brothers in a touring incarnation before they actually joined Motown, but by the same token this band would have backed twenty or thirty vocalist or vocal groups in a given year. The idea of self contained bands who would have backed the same vocalist on every gig and in every recording session was limited to very big names only: even Bobby Bland, Ray Charles and James Brown had a couple of bands who would have performed duties in different parts of the country.

As James mentions a small part of Jimi's career was spent with Johnny Brantley in New York and New Jersey at the same time as Brantley was working with Lee Moses, Hermon Hitson, Gloria 'Townada' Barnes and the Ohio Players etc. Quite how much recording he did was open to question and Brantley was not averse to cashing in on Jimi's later notoriety by re-issuing instrumental tracks as 'Jimi Hendrix masters' whether Jimi played on them or not. Bootlegs and semi-legal recordings have surfaced where the guitarist might be Hendrix but might equally have been Lee Moses or Hermon Hitson. The three guitarists certainly had a lot in common in their use of effects and general showmanship. The 350lb Lee Moses had much less chance of becoming a global superstar of course.

It's worth bearing in mind that while Hendrix was something of a revelation to a white 'pop' audience (this was really before that audience became a 'rock' one which Hendrix would help to define) his use of stagecraft like playing with teeth, behind his head, use of effects pedals and feedback was kind of standard for touring R&B showmen going back to Johnny Jenkins and beyond. In the R&B world Hendrix was simply a journeyman. Taken out of that world and marketed as something exotic he was to become a phenomenon.

The youtube clip of The UT above is Rose Brooks of 'I'm Moanin'" fame by the way. She was a sometime girlfriend and signed to the big time (Liberty/Soul City) before Jimi himself.

For what it's worth I hear a lot of 'soul' in the recordings of The Jimi Hendrix Experience: he had a limited but undeniably charismatic voice and more than a few of the downtempo tracks have pleasing echoes of Curtis Mayfield, James Brown etc.

That's an interesting read mate. Nice one. :yes:

Social source share

The Motown rumours are just that: rumours. He did pay in bands which would have backed the Isley Brothers in a touring incarnation before they actually joined Motown, but by the same token this band would have backed twenty or thirty vocalist or vocal groups in a given year. The idea of self contained bands who would have backed the same vocalist on every gig and in every recording session was limited to very big names only: even Bobby Bland, Ray Charles and James Brown had a couple of bands who would have performed duties in different parts of the country.

As James mentions a small part of Jimi's career was spent with Johnny Brantley in New York and New Jersey at the same time as Brantley was working with Lee Moses, Hermon Hitson, Gloria 'Townada' Barnes and the Ohio Players etc. Quite how much recording he did was open to question and Brantley was not averse to cashing in on Jimi's later notoriety by re-issuing instrumental tracks as 'Jimi Hendrix masters' whether Jimi played on them or not. Bootlegs and semi-legal recordings have surfaced where the guitarist might be Hendrix but might equally have been Lee Moses or Hermon Hitson. The three guitarists certainly had a lot in common in their use of effects and general showmanship. The 350lb Lee Moses had much less chance of becoming a global superstar of course.

It's worth bearing in mind that while Hendrix was something of a revelation to a white 'pop' audience (this was really before that audience became a 'rock' one which Hendrix would help to define) his use of stagecraft like playing with teeth, behind his head, use of effects pedals and feedback was kind of standard for touring R&B showmen going back to Johnny Jenkins and beyond. In the R&B world Hendrix was simply a journeyman. Taken out of that world and marketed as something exotic he was to become a phenomenon.

yes , its hard to tell sometimes , his early career was nothing if not prolific though , including his songwriting , maybe the motown rumours have some truth .

i disagree that he was simply a "journeyman" in those days , i think he was much much more than that

Social source share

pretty well documented also that he played on a few icemen tracks -shes a stone fox spings to mind /samar etc,love his work with the band of gypsies,he definetly had alot of soul,his best read really does chonicle all of the work he done with the like of Pickett etc,some good soulful glimbses on some of his more popular stuff "little wing"springs to mind!!

BAZ A

Social source share

yes , its hard to tell sometimes , his early career was nothing if not prolific though , including his songwriting , maybe the motown rumours have some truth .

i disagree that he was simply a "journeyman" in those days , i think he was much much more than that

Yes. Maybe I was a little harsh, as he was clearly exceptionally talented, but maybe no more so than many other musicians who would have been his contemporaries in R&B at that particular time. I'd never seen the photos of him onstage with Wilson Pickett as used in the Rosa Lee Brooks video above. Ask yourself who the eye and ear would have been drawn to in that particular show.

Had he not been enticed to the UK by Chas Chandler it might be interesting to speculate what would have become of his career. My guess is that global superstardom with a 'black' band, black management and so on would have been much harder or him to realise.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Yes. Maybe I was a little harsh, as he was clearly exceptionally talented, but maybe no more so than many other musicians who would have been his contemporaries in R&B at that particular time. I'd never seen the photos of him onstage with Wilson Pickett as used in the Rosa Lee Brooks video above. Ask yourself who the eye and ear would have been drawn to in that particular show.

Had he not been enticed to the UK by Chas Chandler it might be interesting to speculate what would have become of his career. My guess is that glaobal superstardom with a 'black' band, black management and so on would have been much harder or him to realise.

thanks gareth and everyone , some great info here

imo he was the greatest blues guitarist ever but thats another thread in another forum i guess . sad.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

The Motown rumours are just that: rumours. He did play in bands which would have backed the Isley Brothers in a touring incarnation before they actually joined Motown,

Good post Gareth.

Incidentally, an old workmate of mine saw him backing the Isley Brothers at Sheffield's Mojo, pre Motown.

Would also be very surprised at any other 'Motown' connection.

:)

Sean

Social source share

also he had red indian ancestry and the -ute- was a tribe from utah . maybe he wrote it ?

with rosa lee brooks and billy revis , maybe , perhaps ?

Edited by pls1
Social source share

the below site has had a revamp since last mentioned on here

https://www.earlyhendrix.com/

stuff like unconfirmed/ confrmied listings, timelines etc

An excellent read. Thanks Mike.

A couple of things are apparent from the site with regard to the soul world:

Hendrix recorded a few things with the Isleys on Atlantic and the very early incarnation of their T-Neck label.

The pictures of Hendrix playing with Wilson Pickett were from a one-off New York club date to promote Percy Sledge's first Atlantic LP to the music industry. Along with King Curtis & The Kingpins Hendrix backs not only Pickett, but Sledge and Esther Phillips too.

As a sometime member of Don Covay's Goodtimers Hendrix participates in the recording of Little Richard's "I Don't Know What You Got" on VeeJay: one of the greatest of deep soul records.

The chronology of Hendrix's involvement with Johnny Brantley's Vidalia productions is very interesting: he's supposed to feature on the rare George Scott album on Maple, which includes Scott's vocals over a couple of earlier Icemen and Jimmy Norman backing tracks which Hendrix does definitively play on (including the Icemen's Ole-9 single). Brantley later issued a number of recordings supposedly featuring Hendrix backing saxophonist Lonnie Youngblood which reportedly actually feature Lee Moses playing the lead guitar parts. Moses and Hendrix were both apparently very much influenced in fusing R&B with psychedelic elements from stints with The Mighty Hannibal in Atlanta.

In playing as part of King Curtis's band on the Ray Sharpe record "Help Me Parts 1&2" on Atco, Hendrix inadvertently plays on the Aretha Franklin classic "Save Me", which recycled the backing track of the earlier Ray Sharpe release. I never knew that Ray Sharpe was black, either!

Regular appearances in the bands of the Isley Brothers, Sam Cooke, Little Richard and Don Covay would have meant that Hendrix was more than a mere journeyman as I unfairly stated above. He would have presumably been quite an in-demand sideman. Still this would give scant indication of what he was later capable of.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest veep1296

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=jIJ_WLYz3t8

as a hendrix fan iv been wondering if anyone knows of anymore soul connections and is it true that he was a session musician at motown ?

This guy is currently completing another book on Hendrix & came into contact with me whilst seeking Dean Courtney who had connections..I put him in touch & he interviewed Dean..

Straight Ahead Media [lostarchives@comcast.net] Steven Roby

Rosa Lee Brooks is still out there & contactable via Facebook at least .

https://www.facebook....69082259&ref=ts

https://www.facebook....52&id=578878947

post-5119-12574486267906_thumb.jpg

David

Social source share

The Iceman - (My girl) She's a fox is a great record. You can definately hear his guitar. Must dig this out. Would'nt be out of place on the crossover Friday thread.

Alan

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I posted this image in a previous thread.

Interesting that when he first appeared in the U.K. JH was billed as a "Soul" singer.

gallery_6836_1066_8807.jpg

Not really relevant to this thread but I was at the Isle of Wight festival in August 1970 when Hendrix did one of his very last performaces. He died less than 3 weeks later.

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

An excellent read. Thanks Mike.

A couple of things are apparent from the site with regard to the soul world:

Hendrix recorded a few things with the Isleys on Atlantic and the very early incarnation of their T-Neck label.

The pictures of Hendrix playing with Wilson Pickett were from a one-off New York club date to promote Percy Sledge's first Atlantic LP to the music industry. Along with King Curtis & The Kingpins Hendrix backs not only Pickett, but Sledge and Esther Phillips too.

As a sometime member of Don Covay's Goodtimers Hendrix participates in the recording of Little Richard's "I Don't Know What You Got" on VeeJay: one of the greatest of deep soul records.

The chronology of Hendrix's involvement with Johnny Brantley's Vidalia productions is very interesting: he's supposed to feature on the rare George Scott album on Maple, which includes Scott's vocals over a couple of earlier Icemen and Jimmy Norman backing tracks which Hendrix does definitively play on (including the Icemen's Ole-9 single). Brantley later issued a number of recordings supposedly featuring Hendrix backing saxophonist Lonnie Youngblood which reportedly actually feature Lee Moses playing the lead guitar parts. Moses and Hendrix were apparently much influenced in fusing R&B with psychedelic elements from The Mighty Hannibal in Atlanta.

In playing as part of King Curtis's band on the Ray Sharpe record "Help Me Parts 1&2" on Atco, Hendrix inadvertently plays on the Aretha Franklin classic "Save Me", which recycled the backing track of the earlier Ray Sharpe release. I never knew that Ray Sharpe was black, either!

Regular appearances in the bands of the Isley Brothers, Sam Cooke, Little Richard and Don Covay would have meant that Hendrix was more than a mere journeyman as I unfairly stated above. He would have presumably been quite an in-demand sideman. Still this would give scant indication of what he was later capable of.

he played in Jimmy Mayes band in New York, Jimmy Mayes had some incredible photos with Hendrix he showed me. Jimmy tells some good stories in my interview with him about later accidentally being on some hendrix album due to his earlier connection.

Social source share

That's an interesting read mate. Nice one. thumbsup.gif

boxing.gifJimi Hendrix**Ditto that, thumbup.gif I like all the mans stuff!! even his session work that goes much deeper than theISLEYS & Curtis Night. he did work backing the greats and the obscure. In 1970 we nicked a mini van of somme hairy people who had got it to see HENDRIX at the Isle of White (Hendrix facts)..I also remembr buying the Bootleg LP the LULU SHOW Tribute to Cream and the great Wild thing from Monteray I think? i purchesed it from Richard Branson along with Bob Dylans "Talking Bear Mountain Picnic desarster Blues", I wonder if Richard ever met Simon Souesan, EGO CLASH or what, I know someone who has 2 Ampeck master tapes of JIMI playing accoustic he is still sitting on them ?? LEGALISSUES ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

Really enjoying this threadthumbsup.gif ...... I knew about the fantastic Little Richard "deep" side (as Gareth says, one of the most gut-wrenching pieces of soul you're ever likely to hear, and backing Curtis Knight and the Isley's, but the other NS connections are new to me.

Anyway, this thread has sent me off to listen to "the Wind Cries Mary"......... if that isn't soulful, I don't know what isswoon.gif

Social source share

Seem to remember having an album of Hendrix's back in the mid 70's with a cover version of Land Of 1000 Dances on it

cant find it , but sure i remmember it .

found this and copied a comment underneath for trivia fans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd6rFkSnYUs

Bit of trivia : Jimi uses F7#9 and C7#9 in this song.

This is the chord used in Purple Haze as E7#9 which became known as "the Jimi hendrix Chord".

Although Jimi didn't invent it....jazz players had used it for many years before that.

Hendrix brought the 7#9 chord to the attention of the rock world however. Which is kinda cool. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Hendrix did quite a bit of live stuff for the BBC.

You can get a Double CD set called The Jimi Hendrix Experience BBC Sessions.

On there is a versions of Stevie's "I Was Made To Love Her".

If you click on the link below - then the Preview button - you will get a little blast of it.

May not be to everyone's taste but - for me - when the guitar really kicks in in the last few seconds - PURE MAGIC!!

https://www.amazon.co...57593369&sr=1-1

MB

Social source share

My mate reckons he turned up at the Wheel one night to see The Spellbinders, who's backing band he'd once been in.

wow , it just gets better . if he did i wonder if he did "The Utee" :smile: .

can i just say thanks again for all these posts on Hendrix , im such a fan .

you have so much music knowledge on this site all across the genres and spanning decades . i love reading all your "music history " style threads . thankyou x

Social source share

These two early Hendrix albums cover his more Soulful side.......

Jimi Hendrix - Birth Of Success U.K. Music For Pleasure MFP 50053

Side A 1) I'm A Man 2) Sugar Pie Honey Bunch (I Can't Help Myself) 3) Get Out Of My Life Woman 4) Ain't That Peculiar

Side B 1) Last Night 2) (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 3) Land Of 1000 Dances 4) UFO

Jimi Hendrix - In The Beginning U.K. Everest CBR 1031

Side A 1) Stand By Me 2) Bright Lights Big City 3) Just A Little Bit 4) Satisfaction 5) Sugar Pie Honey Bunch 6) You Got What It Takes 7) Day Tripper 8) Land Of 1000 Dances

Side B 1) I'm A Man 2) Hold On To What You Got 3) Twist & Shout 4) Mr Pitiful 5) What I'd Say 6) Wooly Bully 7) Walking The Dog 8) Hang On Sloopy

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

You can get a Double CD set called The Jimi Hendrix Experience BBC Sessions.

On there is a versions of Stevie's "I Was Made To Love Her".

The whole CD set is available to listen to on Spotify.

So you can hear the whole version of "I Was Made To Love Her" on there.

Unfortunately no download possible so I can't put it on Refosoul.

It says on Spotify that Stevie Wonder is playing drums on that recording.

You could do worse than listen to these 2 whole CD's right the way through.

A modern day genius on the top of his game.

MB

Social source share

• 1 month later...

If anyone's interested, I stumbled into a tremendous Hendrix collection about 9 months ago and it's been sat here ever since gathering dust. I didn't want to split it up as there's 32 albums there, mostly originals and rare oddball European labels (maybe some early rare presses) and it's got all his Soul stuff in there too. Original UK London, Polydor and Track pressings plus the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack which is rare. Anyone wanna make me an offer for the lot? I'd rather they went to a Hendrix fan.........

Here's the titles:-

Jimi Hendrix & Curtis Knight - Get That Feeling U.K. London SH-8349

Jimi Hendrix & Curtis Knight - Strange Things U.K. London SH-8369

Jimi Hendrix feat Curtis Knight- Before The Deluge German Emidisc C048-50780

Jimi Hendrix with Curtis Knight- The Eternal Fire Of Hallmark SHM 732

Jimi Hendrix & Little Richard - Friends From The Beginning U.K. Ember EMB 3434

Jimi Hendrix - Looking Back With U.K. Ember EMB 3428

Jimi Hendrix - Cosmic Turnaround U.K. Audio Fidelity AFELP 1002

Jimi Hendrix - Jimi Hendrix U.S. Springboard SP-4010

Jimi Hendrix - Birth Of Success U.K. Music For Pleasure MFP 50053

Jimi Hendrix - In The Beginning U.K. Everest CBR 1031

Jimi Hendrix - Jimi Hendrix Live German HOR ZU SHZE 293

Jimi Hendrix - In Concert U.S. Springboard SPB-4031

Jimi Hendrix - Tomorrow Never Knows German Happybird B-90166

Jimi Hendrix - Guitar Giants Vol 3 Belgium Babylon DB 80022

Jimi Hendrix - Countdown Series U.K. Dakota Count 10

Jimi Hendrix - 20 Golden Pieces Of Jimi Hendrix U.K. Bulldog BDL 2010

Jimi Hendrix - For Real UK DJM DJLMD8011

Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsies U.K. Track 2406 002

Jimi Hendrix - War Heroes U.K. Polydor 2302 020

Jimi Hendrix - War Heroes U.K. Polydor SPELP 4

Jimi Hendrix - Midnight Lightning U.S. Reprise MS 2229

Jimi Hendrix - Rainbow Bridge U.K. Reprise K44159

Jimi Hendrix - A Man Of Our Time Vol 2 Italian Napoleon NLP11018

Jimi Hendrix - Hornet's Nest U.S. Nardem 001

Jimi Hendrix - Starportrait German Polydor 2672 002

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced UK Track 2407 010

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis Bold As Love UK Track 2407 011

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Smash Hits UK Polydor 2310 268

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland UK Track 613 008/9

Jimi Hendrix - Nine To The Universe UK Polydor Super POLS 1023

Jimi Hendrix - Isle Of Wight U.K. Polydor 2302 016 SUPER

Jimi Hendrix - Loose Ends U.K. Polydor 2310 301 SUPER

PM me if interested or if you know someone who can use 'em.......I need the space!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert