Mj Prized Collectors Item

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

As well as vinyl boots (and macs) I have been lifelong avid collector of diverse brands of gummed tape. From the apparant texture, the way it creases and the fact it still retains its adherance qualities I can tell you all that is a shit rare piece of early 1980s sellotape. Manufactured by S.C.Otch and most probably originally sold by the now defunct Woolworths and as such would be a prized piece of British commercial history and an excellent investment opportunity.

It's a bloody bargain, just you lot who can't see it. :wanker:

I'm just surprised he/she didn't put a respectable reserve on it

Think this one's up for a last second snipe thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

As well as vinyl boots (and macs) I have been lifelong avid collector of diverse brands of gummed tape. From the apparant texture, the way it creases and the fact it still retains its adherance qualities I can tell you all that is a shit rare piece of early 1980s sellotape. Manufactured by S.C.Otch and most probably originally sold by the now defunct Woolworths and as such would be a prized piece of British commercial history and an excellent investment opportunity.

It's a bloody bargain, just you lot who can't see it. wanker.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

thumbup.gifBut your missing the point --think how much the owner of the record has cared for this masterpiece-lovingly sticking the centre back in with sellotape so he could still play it AND he's resisted the temptation to colour in the tear on the label with black felt tip--I think this is a tribute to Jacksons other song "Black and white".

Obviously going to be difficult to let go of this even for £100, but thats how much a good session in an oxygen chamber is these days or a life size model of Bubbles the chimp !

Bid now with confidence ! thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I would really be intrested if he had put a sound clip on it,

this surely must be a rare piece at that price so it would be really nice to hear the tune and to see if anybody knows it.mellow.gif

unsure.gif oh, cancel that I've found one in my shit box, but it's in one of those crap white cardboard sleeves and it's mint without the special markings oh shit. no.gif

F--k the record its a piece of shite, it's that superb example of vintage S.C.Otch & Co sellotape I'm after.

Already moved everything around in my display case to make room for it.

Just c c cc cc c can't decide what my maximum bid will be g.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I would really be intrested if he had put a sound clip on it,

this surely must be a rare piece at that price so it would be really nice to hear the tune and to see if anybody knows it.mellow.gif

unsure.gif oh, cancel that I've found one in my shit box, but it's in one of those crap white cardboard sleeves and it's mint without the special markings oh shit. no.gif

:yes::no: PMSL

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Thanks I think I've got a mint Aston Martin DB6 somewhere in the shed with a broken mirror held together with a similar piece of tape from the mid-70's, now I know there might be a market for the tape I'm glad I didn't scrap the old piece of junkthumbup.gif.

As a fully paid up long standing member of the SCC (Sellotape Collectors Club) I'd say forget it.

Mid 70s sellotape is out of vogue and prices have bottomed out. Top sellotape collectors have been heavily collecting 70's tape for years and ignoring some superb examples from the early 80s as too modern. As such early 80s tape is now extremely hard to find and prices are really starting to move up.

Believe me, the real deal is the early 80s stuff. yes.gif

So much clearer, stickier and of a much higher quality as the example holding MJ together undoubtedly shows. thumbsup.gif

www.sellotapecollectorsclub.co.uk

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Thanks for that, now I know I'll scrap the heap of crap ( I hate driving a car with a broken mirror)

Think I might have some early 80's duck tape in the loft holding a old picasso frame together next to the old ming vase with the blue tacked label on, is there a market for that or should I bin that rubbish as well?mellow.gif

Don't know much about duck tape as it the clear stuff I'm into.

Have a look here, some of my fellow SCC members may have the answer for ya

https://ilovestickytape.blogspot.com/2009/03/vintage-sellotape-and-packaging.html

DUCKTAPE.jpg

Social source share

I almost fell of my chair seeing that it's not April fools is it ? no.gif

Whos gonna contact them and tell them ????????????

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Cheers for that good.gif Always wanted to know why they called it duck tape

I wish I had a intresting hobby & collection like you, with intresting and like-minded people to talk to but I suppose it's to late to get intrested in a riviting subject like thisunsure.gif

GGGGGGrenville fetch a cloth thumbsup.gif

It really is a most fascinating hobby. Got hooked as a youngster when I used it to tape me specs together after watching Blue Peter.

My fascination for sellotape took over my life and sadly to say developed into a sexual fetish involving copious amounts of sellotape (but thats another story for another forum) unsure.gif

In the low moments of my life I don't know what I'd have done if it weren't for the comfort of my sellotape collection and the support of my Sellotape Collectors Club friends.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Are you a tape snob or do you allow for the more recent formats like cling-film, I have a personal tendancy towards velcro as a fastener but having no forum to disscuss this I was feeling a little alone huh.gif

In my earlier sellotape collecting years I was what you term to be a "tape snob". Any scarce/rare pieces of tape would have me in raptures but nowadays I just seek the enjoyment of "quality" sellotape, even if relatively common. Yes, I do from time-to-time enjoy looking at and feeling some nice bits of cling film but quality pieces are so few and far between especially from around 1990 onwards as the majority just don't cut it for me personally.

The vast majority of prized examples in my extensive sellotape collection fall between 1965-1975

Sorry to say I've never heard of any other velcro afficianados. It must be lonely out there having no-one to discuss your hobby with and I do feel genuinely sorry for you.

You're always welcome to come along to one of our all-day meets of the Sellotape Collectors Club where we'd be thrilled to see your velcro examples.

Stay Sticky (as we say in the SCC) thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest stevejan

It's a bloody bargain, just you lot who can't see it. wanker.gif

I'm about to hit the 'Sell one like this' on the MJ item page,but I'm having trouble getting my copy to look as genuine as his...any tips on how to place the sellotape exactly right? (I know this is as bad as 'booting' but only the OVO snobs will notice)

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I'm about to hit the 'Sell one like this' on the MJ item page,but I'm having trouble getting my copy to look as genuine as his...any tips on how to place the sellotape exactly right? (I know this is as bad as 'booting' but only the OVO snobs will notice)

Well, the only advice I can give is make sure you place the sellotape sticky side down. If you place it upside-down then it won't stick to the record and if it doesn't slip off will soon become encrusted with dog hairs, flies and custard cream crumbs.

Hope this helps thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest stevejan

Well, the only advice I can give is make sure you place the sellotape sticky side down. If you place it upside-down then it won't stick to the record and if it doesn't slip off will soon become encrusted with dog hairs, flies and custard cream crumbs.

Hope this helps thumbsup.gif

Cheers Arkwright,worked a treat (10% of final bid price ok?) Keep it a secret but I think I can corner the market in dodgy old motown records...now where's them old DeBarge singles..?

Edited by stevejan
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Cheers Arkwright,worked a treat (10% of final bid price ok?) Keep it a secret but I think I can corner the market in dodgy old motown records...now where's them old DeBarge singles..?

10% sounds ok to me mate.

Just working on my next project which should tape up ok --

83309870.jpg

However this uns got me ff f f ff fooked

bite.jpg

Social source share

Try a bit of exhaust putty and you'll be fine. :rolleyes:

I usually trail a nit comb round it before its dry, for that authentic groove look. On playing, there may be a slight static sound, but hey, these records are 40+ years old.

Happy Listening:thumbup:

H:good:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

gonna contact him and tell him what a tnuc he is and offer him 10p or something to just try and hurt his feelings a littlewanker.gif

You could always send him a link to this thread.

With a bit of luck he'll sign up and offer us some more rare goodies without having to pay Ebay fees huh.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert