• Replies 60
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi all

NON DJ, who has been on the scene longest, your nominations please.

Ulyssees

NON DJ...that leave about 6 on here.

Define scene?

1966? Mick that'll take some beating mush however I can remember dancing to Barret Strong Money at our local schools Xmas disco in 1964, even though I was eight I back dropped like a goodun, wore and black glove and dropped 2 lovehearts every 60mins, blocked up when me mam came to pick me up at 6-45pm.

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Without a doubt, that would be LES ALDERSON from Scunthorpe, i believe .He was one of the first people i know of,who travelled to All nIGHTERS,in about 1959/60 he regularly made the trip down to attend the FLamingo All Nighters in Wardour st,He also attended the LA Discotheque club in Soh0 AFTER and also frequented clubs like The Scene,Twisted Wheel(bothof them) The Torch,Va-Va,s etc--he wa one of the first guys i knew to collect rare records000he had the first copy i ever saw of --Phil Upchurch--"You can,t sit down" on U.k H.M.V. IN 1961.hIS TASTE IN CLOTHES WAS LEGENDARY ALSO,wearing fashions that other trendy folk adopted later.He was also one of the finest dancers i ever saw.

He gets my vote

He,s still out most weekends and i believe was at the Torch re-union

T.C.

Social source share

Without a doubt, that would be LES ALDERSON from Scunthorpe, i believe .He was one of the first people i know of,who travelled to All nIGHTERS,in about 1959/60 he regularly made the trip down to attend the FLamingo All Nighters in Wardour st,He also attended the LA Discotheque club in Soh0 AFTER and also frequented clubs like The Scene,Twisted Wheel(bothof them) The Torch,Va-Va,s etc--he wa one of the first guys i knew to collect rare records000he had the first copy i ever saw of --Phil Upchurch--"You can,t sit down" on U.k H.M.V. IN 1961.hIS TASTE IN CLOTHES WAS LEGENDARY ALSO,wearing fashions that other trendy folk adopted later.He was also one of the finest dancers i ever saw.

He gets my vote

T.C.

Bloody hell tony, theres a name to conjour with, i remember you introducing me to him many years ago, sat amazed and listened to some of his tales, i heard a rumour he was going to attend the torch re-union wether he was there or not i don`t know i never saw him, don`t know if i`d recognise him after all these years-HARRY thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

God-----that was his trademark--he always wore that hat,i remember him once saying to me"I don,t feel completely dressed without my hat,Dave" ---he always got my name wrong---glad he,s still active!!

T.C.

Social source share

He gets my vote

T.C.

Yeh - But did he go to Wigan, Tony?

:lol:

Hope you're well mate.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

I can confirm he was at the Ryan Hall/Torch Reunion he must be 75ish, He and Barmy Barry had a right ole pow wow...

Wore a Tribly, last time I saw him he was doing a Harry Worth type dance over at the Barbers opp the Ryan Hallm, then he legged it..

He was doing that when tony told him my name, a right character that fella

Social source share

Hi all

NON DJ, who has been on the scene longest, your nominations please.

Ulyssees

:boxing: When you say on the scene longest do you mean Soul Scene or All-Nighter Scene, if you mean both and they still go to events Brian Raye, Glen Belamey? sorry they have DJed Frankie Baggot beats most as he remembrs me attending the Twisted Wheel in 69/:king::ph34r:This is a hard one as most people must of spun a few tunes in the last 45 years, if not why not and lets at least make it happen???? :ph34r: Dave (MORE THAN SKIN DEEP) KIL

Social source share

the artists bands and writers maybe??

boxing.gif

Those photos remind me of 1978 SKIDS (SCOTCH) (b)side of "into the Valley" ear we go 1234 Ena Sharples Albert Tatlock ? It was a long hike for real trying to get to Wigan when you are the only who wants to go and you aint got no jam jar?ph34r.gif Dave)MORE THAN SKIN DEEP)KIL

Social source share

Youve got my vote Mick cus i still see you from time to time. regards Gilly and Nicola

HI GILLY & NICOLA HOPE YOUR BOTH OK? YES I STILL GET ABOUT EVEN THOUGH I.M NEARLY 63 LOL. ONLY GO TO THE MORE UPFRONT DOOS NOWADAYS. CHEERS MICK PAYNE

Social source share

Hiya Mick!!!

Yes nearly retirement age now aint ya???????

I went to the Wheel in 1969 but my first allnighter was in 1967ish String Of Beads in Bradford only got in for half an hour and I was thrown out cos I didnt look 18!!! well was only 13/14 at the time lol

sue bushby

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

God-----that was his trademark--he always wore that hat,i remember him once saying to me"I don,t feel completely dressed without my hat,Dave" ---he always got my name wrong---glad he,s still active!!

T.C.

Is your real name Rodney?

Social source share

wot about jez jones he was an old torchie so does he qualify?thumbup.gif

Blimey Julie ohmy.gif ---dont think even me and Steve(proudlove) go back as far as some of the boys mentioned so far(we are mere whippersnappers)biggrin.gif Possibly late 60's weekday nights at the Torch is our limit. Mid week nights and school next day lol(high on nail varnish removerohmy.gif6.gif )

However, I was reminded the other day about an old girlfriends brother Tony Smith (gave us a right bollocking once when we skived school and played his records all day! lol)who was an original Torch DJ --(barmy Barry eraohmy.gif ) circa 66. Not on the current scene though--should have got him for Ryan Hall on reflectiong.gif

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

Hiya Mick!!!

Yes nearly retirement age now aint ya???????

I went to the Wheel in 1969 but my first allnighter was in 1967ish String Of Beads in Bradford only got in for half an hour and I was thrown out cos I didnt look 18!!! well was only 13/14 at the time lol

sue bushby

hi sue i have retired lol. yes went to wheel in 66 still out & about at the more upfront doos lol mick payne

Social source share

Guest proudlove

and proudlove he,s an old torchie to and soul stu they must be up there with the best of them?????????thumbup.gif

Jeez Jules,I am feeling old enough after a night at Heywood Civic just after getting off the plane,but Im only 22 really(in me ed)!

Social source share

Now if we're talking "Unbroken Period" then it must be Dave Rivers, he was a Big City Jack the Lad in the 60's, think him & Moses were turned away from Jazz type venues around early 60's whistling.giflaugh.gif .

Take care,be safe & remember,"The minds willing but the bodies weak",

Spot.shades.gif

Social source share

Now if we're talking "Unbroken Period" then it must be Dave Rivers, he was a Big City Jack the Lad in the 60's, think him & Moses were turned away from Jazz type venues around early 60's whistling.giflaugh.gif .

Take care,be safe & remember,"The minds willing but the bodies weak",

Spot.shades.gif

Jimmy Buff, must be up there with the best of em. You will still see him weekly at nighters up and down the country. Les Rushton is a another one who,s been around for ever

Steve

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Jimmy Buff, must be up there with the best of em. You will still see him weekly at nighters up and down the country. Les Rushton is a another one who,s been around for ever

Steve

Les around for ever? F$ck me that really makes me feel old----------he's 3 months younger than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Jimmy Buff!!!!He's a Widnesian just like me....And use to be married to one of my school-friends,Lynn Wise.The man is a legend!!! thumbsup.gif

Just to tie in with another thread on here,our boxer barks at everybody,and had never met Jimmy.He came round a couple of years ago,the dog ran up to him,sat back and offered a paw!Never seen him do that before or since!

Social source share

Could well be a contender then Mick.

I'm suprised that the "My dad's bigger than your dad" hasn't started yet.

Jungfrau, Oasis, Wheel, Manchester Cavern '65 on Lambretta J125

Njoyed it so much that I'm going round again thumbsup.gif

Social source share

JOHNNY BEGGS HES OLDER THAN GOD

rolleyes.gif

Johnny Beggs IS god !! Melv

I just love that old fool (Congleton rocked!! thumbup.gif ).

I think Johnny will gladly step down from being awarded the oldest swinger in town trophy (you know what he's like & he'll kill you for letting the cat slightly out of the bag about his age shhh.gif )

Ali x

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Johnny Beggs IS god !! Melv

I just love that old fool (Congleton rocked!! thumbup.gif ).

I think Johnny will gladly step down from being awarded the oldest swinger in town trophy (you know what he's like & he'll kill you for letting the cat slightly out of the bag about his age shhh.gif )

Ali x

How many Soulies came out of Congleton-----------was it the River Dane water,or Allens Pop????????????

Social source share

How many Soulies came out of Congleton-----------was it the River Dane water,or Allens Pop????????????

MICKY COLLEY came from Congleton great lad

sue bushby

Social source share

Guest proudlove

MICKY COLLEY came from Congleton great lad

sue bushby

Mickey Colley is from Newcastle(Staffs) and funnily enough Jez Jones was talking to him a couple of weeks ago.

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert