E Bay Postage Is This The Way Round It ?

just been perusing a few tunes on e bay and noticed the word freight coming up along side the price of the item,after clicking on the item it says postage courier check the item discription or ask the seller for details, just wondered if this was the way round the e bay postage bollox. not sure if this has been mentioned on here beforeg.gif

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I already noticed three different ways to get around the free postage bit:

1) 'handling and packaging charge'

2) offering free postage only if you pick up the item yourself.

and last but not least the best one:

3) Quotes like "Ignore Ebay's free postage policy! By placing a bid on my auction you accept to pay postage of $...."

Social source share

I already noticed three different ways to get around the free postage bit:

1) 'handling and packaging charge'

2) offering free postage only if you pick up the item yourself.

and last but not least the best one:

3) Quotes like "Ignore Ebay's free postage policy! By placing a bid on my auction you accept to pay postage of $...."

The problem with these Benji, while definitely creative, they are againt Ebay's new rules and you risk some action from Ebay.

Especially if your buyer is relatively knowledgeable and complains to Ebay about contraventions to the rule.

Now I'm not saying you won't get around it but the only failsafe way is, as Pete S notes, increasing the starting price. Ebay wins a bit more insertion fee but at least you cover the larger amount of your cost in p&p.

Regards...

Social source share

I offer 2nd class standard mail to buyers as the first, Free, option, but when it comes to checkout I also offer the usual 1st Class Recorded method that most people are happy to opt for, with an explantion of ebay's latest strong-arm tactics to line their pockets. Most people if buying something valuable are happy to pay for Recorded (as they've always done with stuff I send out) as they know there's some trackability and compensation if anything goes wrong. No doubt there will be some people who abuse the system and opt for the free method then expect me to shell out if something goes missing even though they've chosen not to take the recorded option, but in the main I think buyers as well as sellers are sympathetic to ebay's latest stunt and are happy to carry on as normal.

Social source share

That's what I am currently doing, and

putting my freight costs in the item description.

Ebay link

David

WOW,,your "freight" charges are quite high. £2.10 for regular mail,£2.85 sign for.I was charging £2 for sign for...£1.65 for rec del+ 35p for the mailer.its exactly this overcharging that led ebay to make this policy in the first place.

Edited by John A
Social source share

WOW,,your "freight" charges are quite high. £2.10 for regular mail,£2.85 sign for.I was charging £2 for sign for...£1.65 for rec del+ 35p for the mailer.its exactly this overcharging that led ebay to make this policy in the first place.

I'd charge a quid normal and 1.80 recorded signed for, I wouldn't contemplate buying from anyone overcharging on postage like that I'm afraid.

Social source share

I offer 2nd class standard mail to buyers as the first, Free, option, but when it comes to checkout I also offer the usual 1st Class Recorded method that most people are happy to opt for, with an explantion of ebay's latest strong-arm tactics to line their pockets. Most people if buying something valuable are happy to pay for Recorded (as they've always done with stuff I send out) as they know there's some trackability and compensation if anything goes wrong. No doubt there will be some people who abuse the system and opt for the free method then expect me to shell out if something goes missing even though they've chosen not to take the recorded option , but in the main I think buyers as well as sellers are sympathetic to ebay's latest stunt and are happy to carry on as normal.

That's the problem though, if you send it 2nd class and they pay by paypal they can claim the money back off you by saying things haven't turned up. You don't get a say in the refund if you haven't used tracked postage. Paypal/ebay reckon it is the seller's responsibility.

Plenty of people will kick the arse out of it. yes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert