Mevin Davis On Like Records

I have been informed by a very reliable Detroit enthusiast that Don Davis released a Groovesville track on Like Records by Melvin Davis BUT under an alias. He doesn't know the alias or the title, can anyone help on this one please? I'm assuming that the Like label is the Rex Garvin one but I can't even find a Like label listing.

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have been informed by a very reliable Detroit enthusiast that Don Davis released a Groovesville track on Like Records by Melvin Davis BUT under an alias. He doesn't know the alias or the title, can anyone help on this one please? I'm assuming that the Like label is the Rex Garvin one but I can't even find a Like label listing.

Hi Stevie Z has played an melvin davis track atthe Greatstone which i am sure he says is his first single but it is under his own name Melvin Davis-Wedding Belles not sure of labe but it maybe KEKE or something like that.

Mark

Social source share

Hi Keith

will ask melvin directly for you

as far as I know his first release was the Jackpot 45

But Melvin has recentlt appeared in Benidorm, Spain (3 weeks ago) at a Garage type festival, where Wedding Bells was MASSIVE,

Melvin is currently compiling a CD for release in Spain, all early material he was involved in--way above my head as I always found it too "early" for my taste-but tracks are turning up which may be of interest to those who like RnB stuff.

Melvins first group was The Jaywalkers and featured Melin Davis, David Ruffin, Steve Mancha and Lyman Coliins (?) there are at least 3 45s recorded but may be not released from that era (1962 ?) so that could be it.

Chris Marriot had a Groovesville Acetate of a unissued Melvin 45-when Melvin heard it he said it wasn't him !!

Melvin has written and published over 600 songs and has connections into most Detroit labels so things will keep turning up.

Rob

Social source share

Whilst on the topic of Detroit mysteries, can any one tell me if they agree that `Easy Living` by J J Barnes on UK Stax 130 and the same title by the Hollidays on Groove City 206 are identical AND both could in fact be by Steve Mancha, solo? When I play the J J Barnes side of the `Rare Stamps` LP, `Easy Living` just doesn't sound like him.

Social source share

Guest selectasoul

Whilst on the topic of Detroit mysteries, can any one tell me if they agree that `Easy Living` by J J Barnes on UK Stax 130 and the same title by the Hollidays on Groove City 206 are identical AND both could in fact be by Steve Mancha, solo? When I play the J J Barnes side of the `Rare Stamps` LP, `Easy Living` just doesn't sound like him.

Keith,

When I interviwed J.J. in Detroit around 1985 for a Soul Survivor article he said the released version is by Steve Mancha, he cut it himself but the album version is by Steve Manca.

Cheers Richard

Social source share

Agree 100% Keith, JJ Barnes UK Stax 45 (Flip to Baby Please) and Holidays, Groove City 45, are identical and are both Steve Mancha.

Same record.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Hi Stevie Z has played an melvin davis track atthe Greatstone which i am sure he says is his first single but it is under his own name Melvin Davis-Wedding Belles not sure of labe but it maybe KEKE or something like that.

Mark

You might get it mixed up, MD`s first 45 dates back to 1961 on Jackpot. I once sold Steve Z my spare so he might have played that one instead of his Keke 45 (which is MD`s 2nd waxing).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert