Guest Beeks

• Replies 104
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

If you're going to call me extremely naive at least learn how to fucking spell it properly wanker.gif

Don't know what dictionary you use, but maybe you should check. If you don't like naive, then maybe inexperienced, immature or green might suit your comment...........anyhow it's good to see that good, honest, intelligent debate still lives....

I didn't call you extremely naive....just your comment.......if you're gonna post questions, expect answers...some of which you might not like.......taking things little too personally could be another sign of immaturity...shhh.gif

Social source share

What does Harry Hill say fight fight

Joanies been insulted by better people than Beeks take a look at her avitar

Actually Ted...that quote on her Avatar is by me :P

She's obsessed bless her :thumbup:

Social source share

Beeks old boy.Big ticket rareities are for the folk who can afford 'em.Don't worry yourself about it too much.Plenty of other stuff to go at.A memory like an elephant and disposable income are needed, but its not a closed shop.Ok,collectors may sell to collectors/dj's behind closed doors.But there's no conspiracy.innocent.gif

Pay what you think is right at the time.Rare records stay rare,other than the Danny Moore's of this world.

I thought you wanted to talk about "numbers" to define rareity?

Social source share

Beeks old boy.Big ticket rareities are for the folk who can afford 'em.Don't worry yourself about it too much.Plenty of other stuff to go at.A memory like an elephant and disposable income are needed, but its not a closed shop.Ok,collectors may sell to collectors/dj's behind closed doors.But there's no conspiracy.:innocent:

Pay what you think is right at the time.Rare records stay rare,other than the Danny Moore's of this world.

I thought you wanted to talk about "numbers" to define rareity?

Oh i'm perfectly aware of that...i'm not as 'naive' as some might imply and have an excellent collection from the cheap to the not so cheap...Like I was saying before I was rudely chastised and which to be honest has already been answered by the more knowledgable members on here is that whereas before I always assumed that the price of a record was determined by its rarity...I now discover that it is a myth and more to do with demand and who is playing it at the time...I knew there was an element of this...obviously 'hotbox' records are going to increase in price...But I was under the misguided impression that rarity was the main driving force behind ludicrous prices

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

I always assumed that the price of a record was determined by its rarity...I now discover that it is a myth and more to do with demand and who is playing it at the time...

..............Breaking news ....."collector" wakes up to smell the coffee...........value determined by demand !!!...

Social source share

I think I know what you're getting at. The thing that winds me up is on many web sites people over use the word 'Rare', just as much as they incorrectly define a 45 as 'Northern Soul' when it clearly isn't, it just happens to be by an artist who has one song we do recognise as a northern tune. The net doesn't have a trades description act like the one most of us british based collectors have grown up with in our non-soul related lives, so any old rubbish gets used to flog us stuff we'd otherwise avoid like the plague.

One point is that some collectors see a record they've had for 30 years suddenly become in demand and sell for shed loads of cash and they think " I'll sell mine now if it's fetching that much", and that makes it appear that loads have turned up but in reality there was perhaps one bulk find in the 70's of 25/50/200 copies and only the odd one or two since, but, and I'm sure this has happened to a lot of you, if you'd asked the same collector the week before to sell you the same record they'd say " I'd rather keep it than sell it for £X, I probably paid too much for it back then, but I paid a tenner in 78 for it"

On the other hand there's collectors, let's use the phrase ' Black Hole Collectors' ( which has been leveled at me) who spend their lifetime buying with the intention of never selling anything ever (If I hadn't become too ill to work I doubt I'd sell anything) and outside of a few friends who could make educated guesses as to what's in my collection, nobody knows what I've got, so any calculation of how many copies is always nonsense without specific knowledge that can only come from the record label owners business records (I'm not a huge fan of relying on the memories of old artists, producers, etc - over the years I've been told some right codswallop, but then again I don't remember what I did at work 40 years ago, perhaps I sold more bananas than apples, or maybe it was more oranges? Nowadays the sceptic in me wants to see something in writing)

I had a mate when I was younger who regularly changed his car five/six times a year. I think there's soul collectors who are like this too. I've often found myself looking through a mates sales box saying "how come you're selling this, you've only just had it"? You get lots of answers like " Spent too much lately" or "It's easier to sell something I've just had than sell something I've had and loved for a decade" or " It sounded rubbish in the house" or "found a minter" or "I've just got the rarer demo/stocker instead" ( on the last 2 answers if that was me I'd keep both demo and stock, and the minter and the vg. Perhaps I'm not a collector but as my missus says I'm a hoarder?)

Social source share

..............Breaking news ....."collector" wakes up to smell the coffee...........value determined by demand !!!...

Sorry...was under the impression this was a 'Rare' Soul scene

Perhaps it should be renamed 'Every man and his dogs favourite record' Soul scene :wanker:

Social source share

Oh i'm perfectly aware of that...i'm not as 'naive' as some might imply and have an excellent collection from the cheap to the not so cheap...Like I was saying before I was rudely chastised and which to be honest has already been answered by the more knowledgable members on here is that whereas before I always assumed that the price of a record was determined by its rarity...I now discover that it is a myth and more to do with demand and who is playing it at the time...I knew there was an element of this...obviously 'hotbox' records are going to increase in price...But I was under the misguided impression that rarity was the main driving force behind ludicrous prices

More knowledgable than you ,,,,or me?:D .Driving force behind prices? - armchair collectors in far away countries?.Prices on "demand" records usually go steeply up and gradually down to a level out.Depending who's playing them.:wink: .

If this is what a 0-0 bore draw does for you..............................:rolleyes:

Social source share

Sometimes you do get the perfect storm and the price can go into the stratosphere

The Parliaments would be an example .

Social source share

Mind you small names can also have this effect if you cover a record up well enough :thumbsup::lol:

Listen out for my 'Ruby Ramirez - Shortys got the touch' cover up...exclusively played at Move On Rare Soul Club in Banbury this weekend :lol:

Social source share

Bit like Manchester City all this having the big ticket items does not always make for a good collection not being able to blend and play together...you'll never win fcuk all lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Keep telling yourself that Mark...we will let you have it this year (Anyone but the rags)

But next year...:thumbsup:

And Posstot :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Keep telling yourself that Mark...we will let you have it this year (Anyone but the rags)

But next year...:thumbsup:

And Posstot :lol::lol::lol:

Well we can't buy anyone till 2011 still our collection is solid has depth with a combination of big ticket items and good lesser originals with a few newies waiting in the wings see you at your place on December 5th...1-3 to us last season I seem to remember lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Well we can't buy anyone till 2011 still our collection is solid has depth with a combination of big ticket items and good lesser originals with a few newies waiting in the wings see you at your place on December 5th...1-3 to us last season I seem to remember lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Yeah but remember...that one that I sold you...promised so much yet has hardly had any spins and is destined for the bargain bucket

Daniel Sturridge - Too Big For My Boots

Turns out it was a bit of a turkey :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

What about the people who put up for sale on ebay etc rare record and it's really a record that can be brought cheap and anywhere like the obvious tunes

Social source share

We all know I am a nobody Beeks.

All I said was there was no need to call Cliff a wanker.gif

On a respect scale Joan, you're stratospheric.....and then there's the other end of the scale..you know, the one's that know f'all, but like to pretend they do and get very frustrated by it all....

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

Guest posstot

On a respect scale Joan, you're stratospheric.....and then there's the other end of the scale..you know, the one's that know f'all, but like to pretend they do and get very frustrated by it all....

Give it a rest hey!!

Social source share

And then there's the ones that give it on a message board but wouldn't say it to your face

Like Tot said...give it a rest...you're embarrassing :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Guest posstot

And then there's the ones that give it on a message board but wouldn't say it to your face

Like Tot said...give it a rest...you're embarrassing rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

I'LL Bang your AVATARS together in a minute!!shhh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Anyone seen that film "How To Lose Friends And Alienate People" :thumbsup:

Ged...come on mate...I've got lots of friends on the scene...If defending myself on a message board means I can't talk to Joan...or Cliff...or the small handful that take offence at me...then rest assured...I won't lose a wink of sleep you drama queen :lol:

Social source share

Ged...come on mate...I've got lots of friends on the scene...If defending myself on a message board means I can't talk to Joan...or Cliff...or the small handful that take offence at me...then rest assured...I won't lose a wink of sleep you drama queen :thumbsup:

I'm not taking offence, or questioning how many friends anyone has, or suggesting anyone is naive or calling anyone a w**nker. So no drama here mate good.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert