Ivorys Can Anyone Help

Bit of an odd request maybe, but i was on another thread on hear talking about finding records you used to own . I sold a copy of the Ivorys to Glen Bellamy back in the early eighties , it was the smaller text less rare one. Back then I dont think it was considered that rare , but as not that many copies seem to be available I would love to know where it ended up as it is one of my favourite oldies , it is distinguishable as i would have scratched "JEM" or JB in the run out/ deadwax ......long shot I know

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Perception

. I sold a copy of the Ivorys to Glen Bellamy back in the early eighties , it was the smaller text less rare one. Back then I dont think it was considered that rare

I bought my copy in around then, and the going rate was about £5.

It was a semi-known that I had never heard in a venue.

Most copies have been soaked up into collections.

Social source share

I bought my copy in around then, and the going rate was about £5.

It was a semi-known that I had never heard in a venue.

Most copies have been soaked up into collections.

Not really a semi-known it was played everywhere in the mid 70syes.gif

Or at least everwhere in the North-West.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Not really a semi-known it was played everywhere in the mid 70syes.gif

Or at least everwhere in the North-West.thumbsup.gif

if we are talking about 'please stay' it was so popular everywhere that it was re-issued, think it was the kent label - cant go and check label as all packed up ready for move

Social source share

if we are talking about 'please stay' it was so popular everywhere that it was re-issued, think it was the kent label - cant go and check label as all packed up ready for move

it was up for sale on here just a few days ago g george not sure if he sold it or not . and yes big record in the 70s always has been come to think of it ,

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

Can't remeber a time when 'Please Stay' wasn't a big or well known record.

As regards reissue, it was on Kent b/w Tommy Hunt 'The Work Song'

Regards...

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Can't remeber a time when 'Please Stay' wasn't a big or well known record.

As regards reissue, it was on Kent b/w Tommy Hunt 'The Work Song'

Regards...

I have a copy of this on a german test pressing, (any info on this??) work song side singed by Mr Hunt!

Social source share

Was an absolute monster in the early 70's, two different Despanza designed labels but the Ultra rare one is Wand 1152.shhh.gif Not booted but legit reissues.good.gif

Take care,be safe & remember,"I can't give you up , no I can't let you go",

Spot.shades.gif

Social source share

Was an absolute monster in the early 70's, two different Despanza designed labels but the Ultra rare one is Wand 1152.shhh.gif Not booted but legit reissues.good.gif

Take care,be safe & remember,"I can't give you up , no I can't let you go",

Spot.shades.gif

I was shocked when I 1st saw a WAND copy.

Mick Smith played it at the 1st Rareist of the Rare at the Ritz, until than I had no idea it had come out on Wand.

Social source share

Mine's got the italic font as opposed to the block capitals i've seen on others.

Anyone know why there was different fonts used and are there different values for different designs as according to JM.

They all seem to go for around the same price that i've seen.

post-9122-12568321908424_thumb.jpg

post-9122-12568321908424_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Anyone know why there was different fonts used

It was pressed several times at the time of release because it sold well locally. That's also most likely the reason why Wand picked it up for distribution, but I guess it was a case of "too little too late" and it didn't take off nationally.

and are there different values for different designs as according to JM.

According to Manship:

DESPENZA BLOCK LOGO: £600

DESPENZA SCRIPT LOGO: £750

WAND: £2000

He doesn't mention the third Despenza label variation though.

230261146834.jpg

180364436312.jpg

330286332299.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

It was pressed several times at the time of release because it sold well locally. That's also most likely the reason why Wand picked it up for distribution, but I guess it was a case of "too little too late" and it didn't take off nationally.

According to Manship:

DESPENZA BLOCK LOGO: £600

DESPENZA SCRIPT LOGO: £750

WAND: £2000

He doesn't mention the third Despenza label variation though.

230261146834.jpg

180364436312.jpg

330286332299.jpg

AND CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG BUT THE FEW WAND COPIES THAT I'VE SEEN ARE ISSUES, NOT DEMOS.

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

I might be getting this mixed up with another similar tune, but wasn't there a fabulous write up on how the singer got a job doing office work and odd jobs (a la Martha Reeves @ Motown) and that job led to her rfecording this track ?

Dunno if the write up was something in an old fanzine or on the net? help anybody ?

btw I think of this as a pre Wigan Catacombs era spin, did it get played anywhere before that ?

Social source share

Bit of an odd request maybe, but i was on another thread on hear talking about finding records you used to own . I sold a copy of the Ivorys to Glen Bellamy back in the early eighties , it was the smaller text less rare one. Back then I dont think it was considered that rare , but as not that many copies seem to be available I would love to know where it ended up as it is one of my favourite oldies , it is distinguishable as i would have scratched "JEM" or JB in the run out/ deadwax ......long shot I know

Thanks for all the replies , but no one has answered the question yet ....has any one on here who owns a copy checked to see if it was my old copy? now i have seen the scans posted up mine was one with the scripted text i thought this was the smaller text one didnt realize they did one with a smaller block text only thought they did the large block text . As said I know this is a long shot but its for sentimental reasons i would like to know ....sorry to be a pain ...if it was my old copy it would have JB OR JEM scratched into the deadwax .....thanks thumbsup.gif

Edited by Jem Brittin
Social source share

So... what was the correct name for the group? Ivorys or Ivories? Which record company got the group name wrong?

Ivorys on DESPENZA and Ivories on WAND. Perhaps that's the reason why the Wand issue is so scarce? They mis-spelled the band name, destroyed most of the copies and didn't bother to press up a new batch?

Just a theory. :thumbup:

Social source share

Ivorys on DESPENZA and Ivories on WAND. Perhaps that's the reason why the Wand issue is so scarce? They mis-spelled the band name, destroyed most of the copies and didn't bother to press up a new batch?

Just a theory. :chinstroke:

If Wand pressed up copies and destroyed most of them for whatever reason I don't think they did because of a typo in the artists name. Ivorys or Ivories doesn't really look that odd to me if you know what I mean. If they had mis-spelled the title like "Please stray" or so I'd say you have a point.

Maybe Wand was premature in pressing copies, the deal fell through and they had to destroy all remaining copies?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert