So What's A Stormer ?

Shsdave

Just been reminded by an item in sales to check out a different track by the same group. Found it on a major dealers website described as "girl group Northern soul stormer!" Clicked play to have a listen expecting something to explode out of the speakers like a dog out of the trap, instead an OKish ballad dripped weakly into my lapshades.gif

When did it change ? If somebody describes a record to me as a Northern Soul stormer I've always expected a meaty uptempo northen dancer. Do people out there really describe ballads as Northern stormers or is this a case of I've got a box load please buy one ?whistling.gif

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just been reminded by an item in sales to check out a different track by the same group. Found it on a major dealers website described as "girl group Northern soul stormer!" Clicked play to have a listen expecting something to explode out of the speakers like a dog out of the trap, instead an OKish ballad dripped weakly into my lapshades.gif

When did it change ? If somebody describes a record to me as a Northern Soul stormer I've always expected a meaty uptempo northen dancer. Do people out there really describe ballads as Northern stormers or is this a case of I've got a box load please buy one ?whistling.gif

know what you mean dave, many records described as stormers, great uptemp dancer etc, when they are hardly that sometimes.......go to Cardiac Northern Soul thread on this forum, plenty of stormers listed there thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Often it the American sellers picking up on an adjective used by other sellers without any kind of understanding as to what it means in context.

If I wanted to show then what a 'stormer' was I'd play them 'Tear Stained Face' and leave them in no doubt that a weak assed ballad just ain't worthy of the same description.

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

Eddie Parker " I'm Gone " Hurricane Katrina type stormer.

i,d have to disagree and say eddie,s real stormer is love you baby. fantastic though it is, its more of a growler than a stormer imo anyway cheersshades.gif

Social source share

If somebody describes a record to me as a Northern Soul stormer I've always expected a meaty uptempo northen dancer. Do people out there really describe ballads as Northern stormers or is this a case of I've got a box load please buy one ?whistling.gif

Dave - Don & Ron - now that's a fooking stormer (even when played early in the evening at 9.30!) whistling.gifbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Dave - Don & Ron - now that's a fooking stormer (even when played early in the evening at 9.30!) whistling.gifbiggrin.gif

Ha Ha good.gif Don't worry John I'm on later next timesmile.gif Actually don't consider it to be too much of a stormer to be honest ....less I wind it up to +10ohmy.gif

Wasn't actually asking for examples (thanks anyway) just amazed at the descriptions that dealers use ......& this was a BIG dealer in the UK. Actually does it quite a lotg.gif

Social source share

Walkin into early Wigan to the strains of Jeanette Williams- "All of a sudden" and Ann Perry- "That's the way he is".And at the Mecca when someone dropped the needle on Jerry Fuller- "Double Life" followed by Herbert Hunter - "I was born to love you".......Storm Warning!!!!!!!

Social source share

The Four Pro's - Just Another Girl - Carla.Now thats a stormer.thumbup.gif

Cecil Washington - I don't like to lose,thats one hell of a stormer.like being smacked in the mush.hope you enjoyed sunday Dave i did more so when the 3rd went in(oh happy days).

Social source share

Already seen a few from the Okeh label mentioned but how about a few more from there which must be considered "Stormers"

Williams/Watson- Too Late and A Quitter Never Wins

Billy Butler- The Right Track

Little Richard- I Don't Want To Discuss It

Major Lance-Investigate

Also-Velvets- I Got To Find Me Somebody

Joe Hicks- Don't It Make You Feel Funky

Steve

Social source share

Always equate a "stormer" as the sort of thing you jump off the balcony at Wigan to get on to the dance floor to. A real "Ball Banger" (if your'e a boy) not sure what the female equivalent is.

How about The Ambers (On Verve)

The Charades Key To Happiness

John Leach Put That Woman Down (monsta)

Frank Foster Harlem Rumble

I think it has to have power, passion, speed -heart thumping(ness)!. The sort of thing that if you have a pulse and you like soul, you have to get on the dance floor.

DJ

Social source share

Walkin into early Wigan to the strains of Jeanette Williams- "All of a sudden" and Ann Perry- "That's the way he is".And at the Mecca when someone dropped the needle on Jerry Fuller- "Double Life" followed by Herbert Hunter - "I was born to love you".......Storm Warning!!!!!!!

We must have been stood in the queue together, cos that is one of my abiding memories also

. spooky.

Social source share

Sold most of my so called stormers but out of the few I have left that come under this category is The Dealers You got it on Big Bunny records a fantastic uptempo N/soul 45 and a sleeping monster away from home so cant post a sound clip but im sure its known out there

Kieran

Social source share

I'm not bothered what others on here have listed as stormers, but I am intrigued as to what the Okish ballad was? :thumbsup: C'mon Dave, what was it? thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Sold most of my so called stormers but out of the few I have left that come under this category is The Dealers You got it on Big Bunny records a fantastic uptempo N/soul 45 and a sleeping monster away from home so cant post a sound clip but im sure its known out there

Kieran

Great choice, actually my all time favourite Northern record, so superior to the likes of Frank Wilson and Jimmy Mack.

Social source share

Great choice, actually my all time favourite Northern record, so superior to the likes of Frank Wilson and Jimmy Mack.

Agree a quality dancer always gives me that (fu*king yes ) feeling about half way through dont know why it just does great form start to finish I love my modern crossover etc but the dealers 45 always reminds me of why I fell in love with soul music that driving energy and that fu*king yes feeling while on the floor thumbsup.gif

Kieran

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert