Van Mcoy

A brief chat the other night got me thinking about the late and very great man.

Just think about a top ten of the rare soul scene faves and it's a fair bet he's involved in some way,

eg, Billy Woods, Kenny Shephard, Romance Watson, Jackie Wilson (I've lost you), Sandi Sheldon, Bill Harris, Maxine Brown ( wonder what my babys doing tonight) Faith hope and charity, David Ruffins' seventies output,Ilana (where would you be today) Chris Bartley, Chuck Jacksons' version of 'I can't stand to see you cry' et al and that's just a few rather obvious examples that I'm plucking from the air. Hard to believe he overcame personal and professional difficulites acheived all this in his twenties and died a very young man indeed without really getting the recognition he deserved.

Basically what I'm saying is how difficult would it be to assemble a compilation of material to those of us 'in the know'? and what an album it would be.

I suppose the obvious answer is bloody impossible given the myriad of publishers and label owners that would be involved thru' his creative period of the sixties and seventies.

Be good tho' would'nt it Ady?

Go on, you know you want to.

Van rules in Stoke On Trent anyway

Jimthumbsup.gif

Edited by Jim Elliott
Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A brief chat the other night got me thinking about the late and very great man.

Just think about a top ten of the rare soul scene faves and it's a fair bet he's involved in some way,

Basically what I'm saying is how difficult would it be to assemble a compilation of material to those of us 'in the know'? and what an album it would be. I suppose the obvious answer is bloody impossible given the myriad of publishers and label owners that would be involved thru' his creative period of the sixties and seventies. Be good tho' would'nt it Ady? Go on, you know you want to.

Van rules in Stoke On Trent anyway

Jimthumbsup.gif

Van rules anywhere good soul music is played. Check out There's That Beat magazijne there's a good article about

him and his music, Northern Soul style.................

thumbup.gif

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You're a clairvoyant Jim, our fellow Sourcer Tony Rounce is in mid compilation as we speak and though it's a tricky licensing job it's still possible and will happen. Good shout. Some of my faves are Gladys' Baby Don't Change Your Mind, Betty Everett Getting Mighty Crowded and Kenny Carlton Lost And Found.

Actually I'm a bit further along with it than Ady suggests, in fact it's virtually all licensed and we're hoping for a February release. We really should talk to each other more often, kidda...:thumbsup:

This first volume is not especially geared towards Northern, although it does of course have several dancers on it. The second volume, which we hope will come out towards the end of next year, is an all-Northern Van special, including the first ever 100% legitimate release of "So Soon" (as erroneously ascribed to Donnie Elbert on Joe Boy, but in reality Van's demo).

BTW We were not able to get Brenda and the Tabs "A Love You Can Depend On" for the first volume due to a licensing wrinkle. It's in the list of subs for Vol. 2 in case things change over the course of next year...

Social source share

Poserman is a TRUE LEGEND!

Thanks Steve, :shades:

Agree with you mate. :thumbup:

Spellbinders (everything), Chris Bartley (everything), Kenny Young "Aint It Funny", Bobby Reed, Bell 45, both sides... his gentle treatment, that tinkling piano, an absolute genius!

Awaiting the Kent compilation with bated breath!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

https://vanmccoymusic.com/van/home.htm

Brilliant site about this true genius - go on the discography - it has some great soundbytes on there.

BTW "Soul Improvisations" (full album version) - How good is that !!!

the "early years" section has the "four buddies" record under the "starlighters" section and has no reference to the four buddies. always thought the four buddies was just him and his brother on overdub? wasn't one of the things that van was a pioneer at was studio overdubbing for vocal harmony (hence all those fake groups with sandi sheldon, etc.)

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

the "early years" section has the "four buddies" record under the "starlighters" section and has no reference to the four buddies. always thought the four buddies was just him and his brother on overdub? wasn't one of the things that van was a pioneer at was studio overdubbing for vocal harmony (hence all those fake groups with sandi sheldon, etc.)

Some more info here

https://www.spectropop.com/SandiSheldon/index.htm

Social source share

Just dug out of the loft 'Call on Billy' by Billy T Soul, awesome from my youth

(not too subtle) but awesome.

Spellbinders 'an all cor!

The neighbours are furiouswhistling.gif

Van the man who can,

'It's starting to get to me now'. it certainly is!

can't wait for those compilations!

Keep on.

Jimthumbsup.gif

Edited by Jim Elliott
Social source share

https://vanmccoymusic.com/van/home.htm

Brilliant site about this true genius - go on the discography - it has some great soundbytes on there.

BTW "Soul Improvisations" (full album version) - How good is that !!!

The discography is endless - I was amazed to see tunes mentioned which I had no idea he did write, produce etc. What a talented genius... Anyone checked out the cd Jean Carn sings McCoy???

Social source share

What a legend , wrote Theresa Lindsey's " It's love " [ Correc tone ] and produced The Vonettes " Touch my Heart " [ Cobblestone ] and a million others .If only someone had interviewed him at the time ......The Chris Bartley and Spellbinders albums must be up there with the best Northern / Sweet Soul sets ever .......Best,Eddie

Social source share

What a legend , wrote Theresa Lindsey's " It's love " [ Correc tone ] and produced The Vonettes " Touch my Heart " [ Cobblestone ] and a million others .If only someone had interviewed him at the time ......The Chris Bartley and Spellbinders albums must be up there with the best Northern / Sweet Soul sets ever .......Best,Eddie

Toni Lamarr -The Nick of Time -Buddah one of my introductory Northern Soul sides:thumbup:

Social source share

Toni Lamarr -The Nick of Time -Buddah one of my introductory Northern Soul sides:thumbup:

Social source share

, including the first ever 100% legitimate release of "So Soon" (as erroneously ascribed to Donnie Elbert on Joe Boy, but in reality Van's demo).

I think it is worth pointing out that "So Soon" was released by Glenn on Joe Boy and credited to Donnie Elbert in good faith.Glenn licenced it from Norman Jopling, who Tony will know is someone of great integrity. What happened was that in the late 60's Donnie was signed to a production company owned by Norman and Pete Meaden and when he left as compensation he gave them the rights to "So Soon" which he claimed was by him!

The madness is told in the forthcoming book NORTHERN SOUL STORIES - have enclosed it on pdf attachment below if anyone wants to read it. The story captures how mad the 60's must have been with guns, arrests,a court appearance and being sectioned!

I had great pleasure of meeting Van McCoy at a music convention in late 70's and was also in process of licensing some masters - via Bill Downs his partner in Vando (VAN McCoy Bill DOwns) from him for Inferno. I was hoping to interview Van for Black Echoes but it never happened.

The Book - So Soon - Donnie Elbert.pdf

Social source share

Guest posstot

You're a clairvoyant Jim, our fellow Sourcer Tony Rounce is in mid compilation as we speak and though it's a tricky licensing job it's still possible and will happen. Good shout. Some of my faves are Gladys' Baby Don't Change Your Mind, Betty Everett Getting Mighty Crowded and Kenny Carlton Lost And Found.

What about the life work of SAMMY LOWE, one of thee Unsung heroes of 60's soul music. And probably other stuff i know nothing about. But i love it when i see his name on a label...usually = Quality.

I'll draw up a list of tings i have with his name on it!!

Mike

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

Darlettes "I'm Lost" Mira or Jay Boy, Vonettes "Touch", Charmaines "Eternally" and all the Daedilus product and not forgetting Troy keyes "If i had my way" and Friendly people on VMP. ASTONISHING MAN. Hustle Baby!

Social source share

What about the life work of SAMMY LOWE, one of thee Unsung heroes of 60's soul music. And probably other stuff i know nothing about. But i love it when i see his name on a label...usually = Quality.

I'll draw up a list of tings i have with his name on it!!

Mike

This reminds me of one of my favourite Niter record bar arguements ever - which name crops up the most often on the records in your collection ?

Of course Popcorn Wylie/Tony Hester gets a few mentions, Holland Dozier Holland, the list goes on, but I tend to go for Sonny Sanders first, closely followed by Van the man ( maybe that's just my collection and nobody else likes the stuff I do ?)

I just looked through that site at the 60's discography and I wonder if we haven't got some to add to it amongst our collections ? it doesn't seem a long enough list to me.... I better go look at the non 60's discography first tho'...

(btw The book looks like a winner Neil )

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

, including the first ever 100% legitimate release of "So Soon" (as erroneously ascribed to Donnie Elbert on Joe Boy, but in reality Van's demo).

I think it is worth pointing out that "So Soon" was released by Glenn on Joe Boy and credited to Donnie Elbert in good faith.Glenn licenced it from Norman Jopling, who Tony will know is someone of great integrity. What happened was that in the late 60's Donnie was signed to a production company owned by Norman and Pete Meaden and when he left as compensation he gave them the rights to "So Soon" which he claimed was by him!

The madness is told in the forthcoming book NORTHERN SOUL STORIES - have enclosed it on pdf attachment below if anyone wants to read it. The story captures how mad the 60's must have been with guns, arrests,a court appearance and being sectioned!

I had great pleasure of meeting Van McCoy at a music convention in late 70's and was also in process of licensing some masters - via Bill Downs his partner in Vando (VAN McCoy Bill DOwns) from him for Inferno. I was hoping to interview Van for Black Echoes but it never happened.

Absolutely, Neil - I have no doubt whatsoever that Norman acted in nothing but good faith.

Given, too, that very few people over here knew what Van's voice sounded like back then, it would have been easy to fall for Mr. Elbert's duplicity - a quality I know Donnie had in abundance!

BTW whoever mentioned it above, Van had nothing at all to do with Troy Keyes' "If I Had My Way".

BTW, too, we managed to get the licensing wrinkle sorted out at the eleventh hour and Brenda and the Tabs "A Love You Can Depend On" will now be on Vol. 1 of our 2 voluume Van overview!

Social source share

Absolutely, Neil - I have no doubt whatsoever that Norman acted in nothing but good faith.

Given, too, that very few people over here knew what Van's voice sounded like back then, it would have been easy to fall for Mr. Elbert's duplicity - a quality I know Donnie had in abundance!

BTW whoever mentioned it above, Van had nothing at all to do with Troy Keyes' "If I Had My Way".

BTW, too, we managed to get the licensing wrinkle sorted out at the eleventh hour and Brenda and the Tabs "A Love You Can Depend On" will now be on Vol. 1 of our 2 voluume Van overview!

Tony, great news on Brenda & Tabs.thumbup.gif

btw is it still the Bear family that owns the right to the J/G stuff?

Dave.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, great news on Brenda & Tabs.:thumbup:

btw is it still the Bear family that owns the right to the J/G stuff?

Dave.

Bear Family never owned it, Dave - they merely licensed it. The Lipsius family in Philadelphia have owned J/G since it started in the mid 50s...

Best,

TONY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert