Northern Soul,modern Soul,funk,soulful House

For me it all depends on if you are a "Soul fan" or a "Northern soul fan".

A soul fan will like soulful records from all eras, late 50s to present day and appreciate the soulful content, some of which can be danced to. The soul fan looks at the soul scene as something that is current and elvolving continiously.

The Northern soul fan is a fan of the scene, is reliving what went on in the hey day of Northern soul in the 70s (even though most of them weren`t even there), wears the clothes, likes only those sounds that were played back then etc etc...Basically for these people the Northern scene is a retro scene.

Chris

Have to disagree with you there Chris.

I love 60s & 70s soul but to my shame the majority of the rest is just not to my taste.

I certainly do not wear the clothes and I definitely don't want to hear the same old sounds that were played back then.

Social source share

• Replies 82
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

So that would rule out all of the wonderful midtempo tunes that have always been part of the scene.

Manus

No not at all. The Carstairs - it really hurts me girl & Johnny C - dont depend on me are 2 of my fave tunes. they have a decent tempo, both early 70's and both wonderful for a good old shuffle. theres a certain style of dance on the scene. A tune needs dynamics to keep the dancer on their toes. thats why some of us love the older stuff. it made the 'northern scene' what it is and with so many good 60's and 70's records around, a lot of us will keep going to venues good.gif

IAN

Social source share

"Does anyone on here have any action slacks! laugh.gif now tell the truth, as i have seen plenty of them about!"

what the hell are action pants never heard of them before do they have superheros on them or army type trousersg.gifg.gifg.gifg.gif

Action slacks means they are not Spencers, more like Marks & Spencers :thumbsup: , with no pleat to the front, the ones that your dad wears with a tan belt & matching shoes, or trousers for the older gent, if you know what i mean??? :D (see pic)

The Action Slacks man might also have got to the age where he wears plaid slippers or slip-ons, which are called (Eddie Shoes) :thumbup:

I hope this helps?

post-14474-12559727517326_thumb.jpg

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Action slacks means they are not Spencers, more like Marks & Spencers :thumbup: , with no pleat to the front, the ones that your dad wears with a tan belt & matching shoes, or trousers for the older gent, if you know what i mean??? :D (see pic)

The Action Slacks man might also have got to the age where he wears plaid slippers or slip-ons, which are called (Eddie Shoes) :thumbup:

I hope this helps?

I hope i have not offended anybodys dad :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

A soul fan will like soulful records from all eras, late 50s to present day and appreciate the soulful content, some of which can be danced to. The soul fan looks at the soul scene as something that is current and elvolving continiously.

The Northern soul fan is a fan of the scene, is reliving what went on in the hey day of Northern soul in the 70s (even though most of them weren`t even there), wears the clothes, likes only those sounds that were played back then etc etc...Basically for these people the Northern scene is a retro scene.

Chris

horses**t,

and i suppose your one of those people who wants the term -' "northern" soul' - done away with completely and banished from history forever arnt you ? yes.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

you people are so funny

Social source share

horses**t,

and i suppose your one of those people who wants the term -' "northern" soul' - done away with completely and banished from history forever arnt you ? yes.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

you people are so funny

Did i say that? Go back and read the post.

Why would i want the term "Northern Soul" banned? I`m a massive Northern soul fan....but I am a soul fan first.

I merely offer up an explanation on how the scene is split into 2 camps. If you dont agree thats fine, but dont go putting words i didnt say into my mouth because you didnt understand my post.

Oh, and while I`m posting, I`d much rather wear a pair of those "Grandad" slacks than a pair of those ridiculous baggy things i still see people wearing these days!

Chris

Social source share

Chris

Dear Chris,

I don't fit into either category but I'm looking forward to Burnley on Friday.

ATB, Confused Grandad

Social source share

No not at all. The Carstairs - it really hurts me girl & Johnny C - dont depend on me are 2 of my fave tunes. they have a decent tempo, both early 70's and both wonderful for a good old shuffle. theres a certain style of dance on the scene. A tune needs dynamics to keep the dancer on their toes. thats why some of us love the older stuff. it made the 'northern scene' what it is and with so many good 60's and 70's records around, a lot of us will keep going to venues good.gif

IAN

Hello Ian

I think you'll find that a lot of the posters in favour of playing newer stuff also like the older stuff - its just that they don't want a groundhog day situation everytime they go they to a Soul event. I have great memories of clubs like Wigan but I personally don't want to relive 1974 in 2009, I want to walk away from a venue having listened to records I haven't heard before or that I haven't heard for a long time and I want Soul music to be a living thing rather than a retro get together but I do understand that others think differently.

But you did say Uptempo " nothing more nothing less" and I thought that would rule out quite a large part of Northern Soul history. I remember dancing to the Tams Hey girl don't bother me as a young skinhead in late 1970 I could only do that because the record had crossed over from the early Rare Soul scene and into the charts now thats hardly an uptempo record is it and what about Tony Clarke's The Entertainer.

I remember being enthralled along with many others by Betty Wright at Wigan in 1975 she had been booked because her "new release" Where is the love was massively popular at the time. It seems sometimes that the playing of new releases during the 70s is being written out of Northern Soul history but it's a fact that they were played and not just at the Mecca. Also I do feel that genuine Northern Soul records are also being written out of the story in favour of records that were viewed by many as devaluing the scene. Derek and Ray and the likes of Phil Coulter are touted as the real deal and records like Nolan Chance Just like the weather are dismissed. I seem to recall Derek and Ray and such like being seen as a " nail in the coffin" records when it came to real Northern Soul.

I have been to clubs that have reminded me of the past, Soul or Nothing springs to mind and also Soul revolution but it wasn't because they were trying to recreate the past but because they felt fresh and exicting in the way that the great clubs of the 70's did.

Yourself and your partner Debbie seem really passionate about our music and hope you both keep on enjoying what your doing but for me it's any era and any tempo as long as it's got Soul.

ATB

Manus

Social source share

Hello Ian

I think you'll find that a lot of the posters in favour of playing newer stuff also like the older stuff - its just that they don't want a groundhog day situation everytime they go they to a Soul event. I have great memories of clubs like Wigan but I personally don't want to relive 1974 in 2009, I want to walk away from a venue having listened to records I haven't heard before or that I haven't heard for a long time and I want Soul music to be a living thing rather than a retro get together but I do understand that others think differently.

But you did say Uptempo " nothing more nothing less" and I thought that would rule out quite a large part of Northern Soul history. I remember dancing to the Tams Hey girl don't bother me as a young skinhead in late 1970 I could only do that because the record had crossed over from the early Rare Soul scene and into the charts now thats hardly an uptempo record is it and what about Tony Clarke's The Entertainer.

I remember being enthralled along with many others by Betty Wright at Wigan in 1975 she had been booked because her "new release" Where is the love was massively popular at the time. It seems sometimes that the playing of new releases during the 70s is being written out of Northern Soul history but it's a fact that they were played and not just at the Mecca. Also I do feel that genuine Northern Soul records are also being written out of the story in favour of records that were viewed by many as devaluing the scene. Derek and Ray and the likes of Phil Coulter are touted as the real deal and records like Nolan Chance Just like the weather are dismissed. I seem to recall Derek and Ray and such like being seen as a " nail in the coffin" records when it came to real Northern Soul.

I have been to clubs that have reminded me of the past, Soul or Nothing springs to mind and also Soul revolution but it wasn't because they were trying to recreate the past but because they felt fresh and exicting in the way that the great clubs of the 70's did.

Yourself and your partner Debbie seem really passionate about our music and hope you both keep on enjoying what your doing but for me it's any era and any tempo as long as it's got Soul.

ATB

Manus

nice intelligent post. thankyou good.gif

Social source share

Just to throw the cat amongst it......

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZjzJSHO3oI8

.....and she's white!!.Is that in the rules?g.gif

One last thing - fashion tips on Soul Source????.Nearly pissed me slackslaugh.gif

Never!... and I thought she was crap and BLACK... Very lightweight and lacking in substance (IMHO of course), there are A LOT of better white 70s tracks - James Walsh for starters (to pick a really obvious one) - give me TM any day!

Dave

PS Manus - you said it!

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Never!... and I thought she was crap and BLACK... Very lightweight and lacking in substance (IMHO of course), there are A LOT of better white 70s tracks - James Walsh for starters (to pick a really obvious one) - give me TM any day!

Dave

laugh.gif apparently its soulful house.

Just thought it was worth putting up in context of where the thread's heading - call it deja vu (and its only £15 at leading siteswicked.gif ).

Social source share

Guest familytree

Debbie - I can dance to 60s 100mph, plus i have dance medals in the waltz, square tango, argentine tango, foxtrot, social foxtrot, carribean calypso, quickstep, salsa, cha cha cha, rhumba, ballroom jive, 50s jive, jitterbug, lindy & charelston thumbsup.gif

So as you can see, i like to dance thumbup.gif

But the problem with this modern soul is, you cant dance to it, just walk about a bit! laugh.giflaugh.gif

I think your experience of 'modern soul' is the soft side and i agree its a lame excuse for a 'dance' record and should never be compared to quality 'soulful house music! it is out there and it excites me the same way stompers did at wigan because it is made with the same passion/soul. of course you have to be selective and know where to go to hear it/buy it but your description of 'just walkin about a bit' tells me we are talking about different modern soul. i go out to dance so im not a great lover of 'soft soul' but each to their own eh... the point is there is talent out there as there was in the past and will be in the future.. you just have to be selective as always x

Social source share

Guest familytree

Chris

great analogy... spot on! and its about time we all accepted the difference... i think because most of us have roots in northern we expect everyone to have the same outlook but clearly we dont so yes soul lovers and northern soul only lovers are a different breed... we just rubbed shoulders once.. and again when i need a northern fix! x best nights for me are mixing it up if done right.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Absolutely not in my opinion but then what do I know as I think The Velvet Satins - Nothing can.... is way too fast & non danceable but I'm sure there'll be many who'll disagree, as for 'it's all dance music...isn't it?'.....again absolutely not, otherwise we'd have people turning up expecting to hear classics by Johann Sebastian Strauss doing some waltz numbers as that was a bit of a dance craze back in the day......I for one would not be impressed sharing the dance floor with some bird in a rather large dress & a bloke with a handlebar mastouche.

KTF

Baz

But aren't the above mentioned rather difficult to dance to? lf it's all about Soul,then maybe Stay With Me Baby-Lorraine Ellison or Ain't No Sunshine should be played....Shouldn't they...? yes.gif

Social source share

Absolutely not in my opinion but then what do I know as I think The Velvet Satins - Nothing can.... is way too fast & non danceable but I'm sure there'll be many who'll disagree, as for 'it's all dance music...isn't it?'.....again absolutely not, otherwise we'd have people turning up expecting to hear classics by Johann Sebastian Strauss doing some waltz numbers as that was a bit of a dance craze back in the day......I for one would not be impressed sharing the dance floor with some bird in a rather large dress & a bloke with a handlebar mastouche.

KTF

Baz

Ah, but what if it was a bloke with a handlebar 'tache in a dress.?

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

well yes and im sorry i said "horse...." because it wasnt ladylike .

i disagree that the "scene" is split in two, i think its more splintered than anything and with respect it was YOU who started this by describing the "northern soul" crowd in such a derisory way . what of the even more retro "mod" types , do you approve or dissapprove of theyr dress sense ? .

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

What is it with terming it all different. for me it's simply a case of Northern Soul/Modern Soul and then Soul music which has loads of styles including Northern and Modern

If i go out i want to only hear songs that are Northern Soul or Modern but if i was creating my own radio station/show then i would play everything that is termed soul be it Gospel, General 50's - 00's soul, funk, disco, southern soul, Northern, Modern, R & B, Crossover, Motown or any other style of soul music.

I am a fan of all soul music and it covers a wide range of artists from Sam cooke to Lisa Stansfield and anything in between.

Social source share

well yes and im sorry i said "horse...." because it wasnt ladylike .

i disagree that the "scene" is split in two, i think its more splintered than anything and with respect it was YOU who started this by describing the "northern soul" crowd in such a derisory way . what of the even more retro "mod" types , do you approve or dissapprove of theyr dress sense ? .

well said that lady good.gif .

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Just thinking how futile this thread was until I took the link to your site and been playing the Francois K, thanksthumbsup.gif

Pleasure mate.

We've only had the site back up about a week and we've been low key as it is nowhere near finished, just a space for friends to chat at the mo.

It should have more to offer soon.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert