• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

"Isn't all just Dance Music??"

No

If an artist sets out to cater for dancers then its dance music

The fact that you can dance to a piece of music does not make it dance, or does it?

You can dance to two sticks being struck together; many aboriginal tribes do but is this dance music?

In the context that you are citing I don't think it is.

You can dance to noise but noise isn't music.

Music is "an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner", well that's the definition but some will stretch this.

Not all Northernsoul can be lumped in the pudding mix as "Dance"

Ray Pollard - The Drifter

Soul Bros Inc. - Pyramid

Two very slow records that I suspect were not penned with the dance floor in mind?

Social source share

No thanks Webby ( no disrespect ), but the 'Northern' scene needs a certain ingredient in the music. 60's & early 70's SOUL!! House and modern funk is'nt what its about.

if i want to hear that i'll go to a local nite-club/disco

Here we go again with same old defensive arguement.. "night club / disco music"......sleep3.gifsleep3.gif

No offence but if you can't distinguish the music between your local night club / disco and souful house and funk played by the more discerning DJs on this scene....then you really are missing out on some great music.

Far too easy to negatively generalise for the sake of safety....glare.gif

Social source share

Got it completely wrong there haven't you l think, go to my avataar and play Joi Cardwell from 2000...that my friend is Soul....And Dance all in one complete package..

thumbup.gif

Well said that mangood.gif

Social source share

Here we go again with same old defensive arguement.. "night club / disco music"......sleep3.gifsleep3.gif

No offence but if you can't distinguish the music between your local night club / disco and souful house and funk played by the more discerning DJs on this scene....then you really are missing out on some great music.

Far too easy to negatively generalise for the sake of safety....glare.gif

Took the words right out of my mouth - I would love to attend all these "high street" nightclubs that play modern quality soulful dance music - a few people on here must have their addresses because they are in every town up & down the country.rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Took the words right out of my mouth - I would love to attend all these "high street" nightclubs that play modern quality soulful dance music - a few people on here must have their addresses because they are in every town up & down the country.rolleyes.gif

Call me old skool then. the local clubs around here play allsorts of modern house/funk/dance etc. I aint goin in them just in case i hear something that might have that 'ingredient' .. Debbie n Myself will carry on going to the 100mph oldies venues that get a packed house, big atmosphere and good friends. . not the venues that have more bar staff than punters :thumbup:

p.s. there are countless quality 60's and 70's tunes that keep us entertained, plus the 1000's that never get an airing (that should!)

Social source share

Can l just reitrate...Have you heard Joi Cardwell?

Yes Webby. :thumbup: . Debbie shouted "what the f*** is that" :shades:laugh.gif

You like the modern scene thats fair enough. The scene today is split it seems. those of us who prefer the old school uptempo stuff and those who enjoy the modern electro pop/dance. we'll stick to what we like

Debbie - I have always loved music from the 1920s-1970s, i just cant stand the sound of the new music, i have never even listened to a radio, thats just the way i am!

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Got it completely wrong there haven't you l think, go to my avataar and play Joi Cardwell from 2000...that my friend is Soul....And Dance all in one complete package..

thumbup.gif

Just played it-Fantastic track-----------------butsnotnorverninitsodonlikeit

Social source share

Yes Webby. whistling.gif . Debbie shouted "what the f*** is that" laugh.giflaugh.gif

You like the modern scene thats fair enough. The scene today is split it seems. those of us who prefer the old school uptempo stuff and those who enjoy the modern electro pop/dance. we'll stick to what we like

Debbie - I have always loved music from the 1920s-1970s, i just cant stand the sound of the new music, i have never even listened to a radio, thats just the way i am!

Modern electro pop/dance ???????????????

Been listening to Soul music for over 35 years can't recall ever listening to anything like that - must be the wrong "high street" clubs I've been to.

Social source share

You should have shouted back.."Hey Love,"That's contemperary Soul Music that you can dance to"....And then set fire to your copy of Interplay!!

like your comments webby but if they stuck in a time warp(i wonder if he's got a pair of bags) then leave them to it. oldies,newies,crossover,70s and modern if its makes me want to dance its all soul to me tumbleweed3.giftumbleweed3.giftumbleweed3.gifboxing.gif

Edited by rhino
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

lsn't all just Dance Music?? Discuss :thumbup:

as promoter of BASICS i have to say GOD NO !!!!!

as the promoter of "IT'S A GROOVE THING" i have to say HELL YEAH !!

and btw webby Joi Cardwell is AMAZING !!

Social source share

...Yep..But didn't Leeds stick it all over Saints.....BRILLIANT!! thumbup.gif

They certainly did !!! thumbup.gif Rhiiiiino's !! Champions!!!

Oops gone off topic. Webby you led me into that trap u little tinker!! angry.gif

Back on topic - now I've ended up in here by default laugh.gif

I personally like ALL of the above genres of music & at certain times,depending on my mood or where I am in my life, prefer one more than the other but at the end of the day, for me, they all have a place in my cardiovascular system!!thumbsup.gif

Cheerio

Ali x

Social source share

Would there be any room in your heart for RNB....? me neither!! rolleyes.gif

Yes there certainly would be yes.gif

I love RnB,Popcorn-I think (tho Im not quite sure what that islaugh.gif ) & Latin. There's not much I wont open my auditory system to apart from Ragga or Jungle (sorry-its not for me).

Anyway Webby there you go again - OFF TOPIC!! The topic is Northern Soul,Modern Soul,Funk,Soulful House so stick to your original question trouble otherwise I'll get you barred !! laugh.gifwink.gif

Ali x

Social source share

Guest trickbag

Northern Soul,modern Soul,funk,soulful, House disco, popcorn,beat ballads,floaters,mid tempo,r&b,crossover,

its endless,ill stick with what i know best.

northern floats my boat, as mark would put it,as for

Joi Cardwell its disco, its awful

ricky.

Social source share

The list of 'outside of the Box' NS Classics is endless, many of which have legendary status on the scene, which at the time were heralded as sacriledge by some, Carstairs being the obvious i spose, but there are hundreds of them. Records that have the X - factor that gives them NS appeal, can be from any decade & genre of black music (sometimes). I wonder sometimes if folk have the misconception that i am saying or advocating that other genres of soul music shoul be played to the exclusion of more traditional NS sounds & that is not what i am saying at all, just that the best of everything has a place if it has that certain something that gives it that special ingredient that we all recognize when we hear it, but cant quite explain or put your finger on.............my ideal night would be a balance of underplayed/forgotten quality oldies (6ts & 7ts even 8ts), big rareities that you seldom hear, current new 6ts/7ts/8ts NS discoveries, this i see as being 60%ish.............then 40% Modern, Soulful Funk, Soulful Disco, Soulful House with other contemporary soul music thrown into the mix if it was appropriate, together with new releases, again if they were appropriate.

Proffessional clever DJ's can mix these sounds into a set coherently. Without going into the different production techniques from the 8ts to present day, at most the big venues of the past, it was played all together & i would say WC was one of the main advocates of this at the time, so why the problem now ????.

I am not asking anyone to like stuff that they really dont, just to imagine an odd thing mixed in with everything else, i dont like every record played at every nighter i attend, i just have a chat or go for a fag if something comes on i dont like to dance to, i actually dont think the 'all on one dance floor' scenario is that far away from the scene we knew from the so called Golden Era.

ATB Russ

Social source share

Northern Soul,modern Soul,funk,soulful, House disco, popcorn,beat ballads,floaters,mid tempo,r&b,crossover,

its endless,ill stick with what i know best.

northern floats my boat, as mark would put it,as for

Joi Cardwell its disco, its awful

ricky.

BTW your last played clip the Risings Sons - is classed as 'Funk'.........to me its full on driving NS of the highest quality & one of the records i personally love to hear out at Nighters. I reckon Joi Cardwell would follow Risings Sons quite well in a set, use the intro match the BPM & slide into it nicely......................

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

But aren't the above mentioned rather difficult to dance to? lf it's all about Soul,then maybe Stay With Me Baby-Lorraine Ellison or Ain't No Sunshine should be played....Shouldn't they...? :thumbsup:

Pre Northern Soul they were played, as were other slow records. You danced with a girl to them.

Social source share

Yes Webby. whistling.gif . Debbie shouted "what the f*** is that" laugh.giflaugh.gif

You mentioned that the scene seems to be split................no wonder, as those of us who enjoy the "Modern /X-over"

side of the tracks aswell, get very little of it , as most do's seem to cater for the oldies crowd, so that's why some of us have had to start visiting other venues ( or even start them ) in order to get our fix.

As Russ said in an earlier post..............why cant it ALL be played in the same set in the same room?? yes.gif

Fed up attending so called A.T.B. venues that may throw us the odd morsel or two if we are really lucky, if it was the other way round, the oldies crew would be up in arms!!

As always, "1 man's meat is another man's poison", but please dont be too hasty to disregard the Modern / X-over genre, as there are some fabulous tunes out there just waiting to get played!!

I don't care if you have a pair of baggies & a beer towel or Glow stick's & Jelly shoes as that would be your own choice...................just enjoy the music.

regards,

John Mc. good.gif

Social source share

All 'JUST dance music'? Ouch!

'electro pop/dance' - oh dear.

I love stuff that has 'it' - that ranges from very early Wheel to post-2000 (if it's good enough)... I guess 'it' is soulfulness - I can hear it in the wild spirit of 'proper' disco, I can hear it in blues - I often CAN'T hear it in Northern stomp.

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Guest brivinyl

Can l just reitrate...Have you heard Joi Cardwell?

Love the oldies myself,but maybe it's time to move on? thumbsup.gif

Which Joi Cardwell tune are you talking about ? If it's LET IT GO, isn't this an oldie now, maybe it is time to move on because there are so many new tunes that need soul club plays.

Social source share

Which Joi Cardwell tune are you talking about ? If it's LET IT GO, isn't this an oldie now, maybe it is time to move on because there are so many new tunes that need soul club plays.

Yes it is an oldie, but as this was the example given was the obvious choice to use, as most appear to know of or at least be aware of it, mind you when we're listening to & discovering records from decades ago, a few years hardly seems to matter.

Russ

Social source share

You should have shouted back.."Hey Love,"That's contemperary Soul Music that you can dance to"....And then set fire to your copy of Interplay!!

Debbie - I can dance to 60s 100mph, plus i have dance medals in the waltz, square tango, argentine tango, foxtrot, social foxtrot, carribean calypso, quickstep, salsa, cha cha cha, rhumba, ballroom jive, 50s jive, jitterbug, lindy & charelston :thumbsup:

So as you can see, i like to dance :thumbsup:

But the problem with this modern soul is, you cant dance to it, just walk about a bit! :lol::D

p.s we dont own a copy of interplay :no:

Social source share

For me it all depends on if you are a "Soul fan" or a "Northern soul fan".

A soul fan will like soulful records from all eras, late 50s to present day and appreciate the soulful content, some of which can be danced to. The soul fan looks at the soul scene as something that is current and elvolving continiously.

The Northern soul fan is a fan of the scene, is reliving what went on in the hey day of Northern soul in the 70s (even though most of them weren`t even there), wears the clothes, likes only those sounds that were played back then etc etc...Basically for these people the Northern scene is a retro scene.

Chris

Social source share

Guest Brett F

A soul fan will like soulful records from all eras, late 50s to present day and appreciate the soulful content, some of which can be danced to. The soul fan looks at the soul scene as something that is current and elvolving continiously.

The Northern soul fan is a fan of the scene, is reliving what went on in the hey day of Northern soul in the 70s (even though most of them weren`t even there), wears the clothes, likes only those sounds that were played back then etc etc...Basically for these people the Northern scene is a retro scene.

Chris

Well said Chris, you have nailed it......... Case Closed, we are SOUL FANS MY FRIEND................BRETTthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Debbie - I can dance to 60s 100mph, plus i have dance medals in the waltz, square tango, argentine tango, foxtrot, social foxtrot, carribean calypso, quickstep, salsa, cha cha cha, rhumba, ballroom jive, 50s jive, jitterbug, lindy & charelston thumbsup.gif

So as you can see, i like to dance :thumbup:

But the problem with this modern soul is, you cant dance to it, just walk about a bit! :laugh::laugh:

p.s we dont own a copy of interplay :no:

The best dancer i have ever seen was a fella' dancing to 'Modern' (thankfully he didnt have a huge industrial iron key on his back, that was wound to breaking point, he didn't need to run up and down on the spot like some god awful 'Duracell Rabbit'), the expression this fella' had for his SOUL, was breathtaking, SOUL is a feeling, if you are a true soul fan then you will be able to dance to WHATEVER gets under you're skin, irregardless of IT'S TEMPO...............

BRETT F

'

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Uptempo 60's and 70's soul. nothing more nothing less

There's only a few 70's records that cut it, the rest were awful. As for unusual records... that was then, murial day would not cut it in the modern room!!!unsure.gif

Social source share

good.gif

That is pure quality and would be right at home played at any venue , there is so much great soul music out there now that across the board for me at least is the way to go .

I work shifts and a lot of weekends so on the odd night out that I get I would love to hear alsorts of stuff that I wouldnt normaly hear . I can be at work/home and play top 500 stuf its great I love it but on a night out I want to hear new to my ears music .

Its not all about reliving old memories its about creating new ones . As Curtis sang Move on up .

Social source share

Chris

Now that has got to be one of the posts of the year my friend...........i can now die happy knowing that some one else really does get it...........OMG you have really put it in a nutshell & very well put too.

Russ

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

Now that is feckin' tuneage & I would dance to that anywhere anytime............

Russ

You're absolutely right Russ. I heard this for the first time (to my shame) on Jerry Hipkiss' breakfast show on Gloucester FM last week - Tip Top.

u

Jerry plays Northern every morning from 9 til 9.30 and it's worth checking out on GloucesterFM.com - but sometimes the tune he plays straight after the NS half hour is the star of the show - a bit of modern or JF.

Hope you're well mate.

Social source share

The best dancer i have ever seen was a fella' dancing to 'Modern' (thankfully he didnt have a huge industrial iron key on his back, that was wound to breaking point, he didn't need to run up and down on the spot like some god awful 'Duracell Rabbit'), the expression this fella' had for his SOUL, was breathtaking, SOUL is a feeling, if you are a true soul fan then you will be able to dance to WHATEVER gets under you're skin, irregardless of IT'S TEMPO...............

BRETT F

'

The best dancers i have ever seen are the Argentine Tango world champions, dancing with skill & passion! :wave:

I just think that 60s soul has the edge, with more of a gritty sound :shades: , it has nothing to do with the tempo, i just find modern soul boring :thumbsup: it will never do anything for me, & i have never said, & will never have the need to say, im a true soul fan, or a "soulie" :thumbup: , im just Debbie & i know what i like.

Edited by parkash
Social source share

(i wonder if he's got a pair of bags)

I wonder hmmm?

Debbie - Its quite funny when you lot start on the clothing :thumbup::shades:

Im a she & no i dont have any bags, apart from a pair of 70s Biba trousers that look like bags :yes: but i have plenty of great everyday wearable clothes from the 1900s-1970s, this clothing was made well & built to last, not like the modern over priced rubbish you buy in the high street stores that everyone is wearing & is brainwashed into wearing! :yes:

I dont do fashion, i just like to wear what i like! :D

Does anyone on here have any action slacks! :wave: now tell the truth, as i have seen plenty of them about! :thumbsup::lol:

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Never ever got into traditional NS clothing or badges etc. With my legs I looked a right tw-t with 32 inch bottoms and a 27 inch inside leg :laugh:

I still wear 70s clothing ie jeans and t-shirt (boring bastud)

Nowadays I just think wear what you like, listen and dance to what you like

Just Soul as you Soul, enjoy it and f--k what anyone else thinks.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert