I Dream Of You - Clara Hardy's On Tuna

Guest Perception

Guest Perception

After all the copies that have been sold, they are still turning up on a "Buy It Now"

Will it ever be hard to buy again?

How many where found, and where did they come from?

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dark Horse

This is a very good question? the question is ?who knows,I paid 150 dollars earlier i the year for mine(not the two main outlets on E-Bay) for a M- copy which I was very happy with & is Nashville Matrix stamped,unless you are one of the few who has good contacts in the states who would know? maybe time for the BIG BOY'S to spill the beans? whoever they are!!

Social source share

Clara Hardy dumped a bunch at a thrift store right before I got in contact with her! Could've all been mine, ha. Nah, she just had a few.

The main guy selling them claims to have found them all in a thrift store. He also has turned up a few of the Dusty Wilson's on Mutt and a Bob & Fred. Lucky find I guess.

Social source share

Clara Hardy dumped a bunch at a thrift store right before I got in contact with her! Could've all been mine, ha. Nah, she just had a few.

The main guy selling them claims to have found them all in a thrift store. He also has turned up a few of the Dusty Wilson's on Mutt and a Bob & Fred. Lucky find I guess.

what's up with the kid selling pennies also selling them? is he related to the guy who found them?

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

The guy selling the bulk of them's ebay name was 'paymethroughcollege' wasn't it. The record goes on a bit I think, i've had one and sold one. Don't think I would even get another, not even for £50.

Social source share

what's up with the kid selling pennies also selling them? is he related to the guy who found them?

Yeah ,he's his son ,says he's funding his college fees with the records.

i contacted him a while back asking, cos i smelled a rat when he used the same info on his page and thought he was a rip off merchant.

Social source share

Guest franky m

If they have been selling for 3 years , and selling 4 copys a month its only 150 copies , and how many collectors are there ? try getting a Betty Lloyd now for £60 !

Social source share

I bought one for nearly £200 about two years ago....then I saw them flying around like confetti so I sold it...only fetched £180.....I contacted the guy who's selling them last week....he's doing his Phd....that's what he said!!!!

I agree though, the rarity justified the price.....now there's a few about, it does sound mediocre. They are now down to $149. I offered $100 but he wasn't having it. They can only keep coming down for now so......

How does it sound mediocre now after it turned up? if it's a quality record does it not sound the same be it rare or common? would challenge that Clara Hardy was not that good a record in the first place despite having it when there were maybe two or three known copies in the UK, more of a general point if copies of a decent tune turn up in my book it simply means that more people get a chance to own a copy, to suggest that a record all of a sudden becomes medicore because it's no longer rare or exclusive is a bit of a sweeping statement.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

How does it sound mediocre now after it turned up? if it's a quality record does it not sound the same be it rare or common? would challenge that Clara Hardy was not that good a record in the first place despite having it when there were maybe two or three known copies in the UK, more of a general point if copies of a decent tune turn up in my book it simply means that more people get a chance to own a copy, to suggest that a record all of a sudden becomes medicore because it's no longer rare or exclusive is a bit of a sweeping statement.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark,

I'm with you on that one, seems that exclusivity vs quality is quite often a contradiction in terms. Once this was a 45 most would have died for, now it's available, it's appeal has diminished, but not for me.

ATB STeve

Social source share

Hi Mark,

I'm with you on that one, seems that exclusivity vs quality is quite often a contradiction in terms. Once this was a 45 most would have died for, now it's available, it's appeal has diminished, but not for me.

ATB STeve

Danny Moore springs to mind... :thumbup:

Best!

Edu

Social source share

I take your point completely Mark....I bought Curtis Davis on Ronnie cheaply and I think it's rubbish! The book price made me go for it as it was ridiculously cheap!! Sometimes we buy for rarity's sake do we not as perhaps an investment. On the other hand I bought Sonny Fishback and didn't really like it but now I think it's a fabulous number.

I put Clara Hardy in the same boat as Sandy Wynns 'Touch of Venus'....they both sort of do it...but not quite! (for me anyway)

Nothing scientific there I know.....the inconsistency and fickleness of the record collector!!!rolleyes.gif

Best

Paul

Fair play Paul, guess we are all a bit mad lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

If they have been selling for 3 years , and selling 4 copys a month its only 150 copies , and how many collectors are there ? try getting a Betty Lloyd now for £60 !

ah but for a while there were 2 or 3 other dealers in detroit selling them.. hamtrack??????????????? and this student fellow aint done with em yet. maybe the price may start going up 18 months or so after he sells his last copy

dave

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Couldn't agree more...still a top tune & just because of it's 'recent' availablity to a wider market just means that OVO is played at more events by more people, I personally don't see that as a problem, although some may, I know my good friend John Phillips has had his copy for years.

KTF

Baz

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Couldn't agree more...still a top tune & just because of it's 'recent' availablity to a wider market just means that OVO is played at more events by more people, I personally don't see that as a problem, although some may, I know my good friend John Phillips has had his copy for years.

KTF

Baz

Clara Hardy has and always will be a quality, stand-out tune, and one of the classiest Detroit tunes to have turned up over the last 20 years in my book, and the fact that more than few have turned up recently won't change that. It'll be a real shame for a tune of this quality to be relegated to the shelves for reasons solely based on rarity and value.....yes.gif

There's a few current "rare" spins that are played on scarcity rather than quality....6.gif

Social source share

Cliff and Mark I'm with you both on this one, I'd been after this record for years, first hearing it off Mark, never even heard it mentioned until it turned up on one of the Millionaires cd's, then Manny had a copy which went for around 2G (that wasn't mint either!)..Then I saw it on Ebay, and along with a few others paid a fair sum for it. I must say it was disapointing to pay a premium price, when the sellers were being very shady about the quantity, considering I asked both sellers how many copies only to get the reply "yours is the last one", we've probably all got similar stories? Now the rub!, strikes me most of the folk moaning about it never really liked the record only it's rarity and the potential/kudos that comes with it, then got stuck with a record they couldn't sell or trade on.

It still sounds fab to me, and people think on, it will happen again, and does Danny Moore sound any worse just because it is available?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert