Having A Laugh. Prices Plus Paypal Fees

It never ceases to amaze me when people put records for sale on here at top book prices and then go and ask the buyer to pay an extra 4% if they want to use paypal!

As a dealer, people who pay by paypal make my life a lot easier, we all know the benefits so why go and ask for another 4%, surely its just the cost of doing business? I would`nt mind if the 4% was built into the price of the record a little bit but a lot of record prices on here are straight out of Manships book...plus another 4%!

Personally, it puts me off buying anything from anyone who asks for the extra 4% and if i really want the record I`ll send a cheque on principle...let him make a special visit to the bank, pay to park the car, wait 5 days for it to clear etc etc...

I know we have been here before, just seems to be rife again...

Chris.

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It never ceases to amaze me when people put records for sale on here at top book prices and then go and ask the buyer to pay an extra 4% if they want to use paypal!

As a dealer, people who pay by paypal make my life a lot easier, we all know the benefits so why go and ask for another 4%, surely its just the cost of doing business? I would`nt mind if the 4% was built into the price of the record a little bit but a lot of record prices on here are straight out of Manships book...plus another 4%!

Personally, it puts me off buying anything from anyone who asks for the extra 4% and if i really want the record I`ll send a cheque on principle...let him make a special visit to the bank, pay to park the car, wait 5 days for it to clear etc etc...

Chris.

Chris you have just given them an idea! next it will be 'cheques accepted but there will be a parking fee of £1.50 and mileage charge xpence per mile for trip to bank' laugh.gif

Social source share

Personally, it puts me off buying anything from anyone who asks for the extra 4% ...

Agree with you. Unless the price for a record incl. p&p and fees is still fair and reasonable I won't bother. And I just don't happen to see that many fair and reasonable priced records I'd buy on SS these days

Edited by Benji
Social source share

I sell my records as cheap as or cheaper than anyone else on here so I am fully justified in asking for the paypal fee, if it's 50 quid then I want 50 quid not 46 quid. I don't charge anyone for using my streamline card service which also costs me a hefty fee each time it's used.

Social source share

It's a fair point if the record is priced at book price, but if it's cheap then I can't see the problem with adding 4% paypal fees.

As a buyer, I always consider what the total cost will be inc P&P and paypal fees.

Same with ebay sellers who overcharge for P&P.....if the record is well cheap it doesn't bother me if I pay higher shipping costs than usual as long as the final cost is still below what I am willing to pay.

Then consider buying off international sellers (which is obviously relevant to this site), before paypal, it was either risk sending the cash (and pay extra on top to insure it), or having to go to Barclays and pay something like £13 for an International Money Order, way too much time and hassle...I personally would much rather pay the sellers paypal fees than go through all that again.

Social source share

I sell my records as cheap as or cheaper than anyone else on here so I am fully justified in asking for the paypal fee, if it's 50 quid then I want 50 quid not 46 quid. I don't charge anyone for using my streamline card service which also costs me a hefty fee each time it's used.

£48 I think Pete...but I agree with you. So many sales on here are at Manship's guide price and ain't minters.

Social source share

I'm very careful to avoid 'book price' references when I sell on here cos it means nuttin...I sell my records as cheaply as I can, I sometimes laugh aloud at some of the prices people ask on here - complete fantasy and - as we can see - most of that highly priced but relatively 'common' stuff remains unsold and just appears again a week later alongside other stuff with slightly lower prices...?? Sales technique etc etc...

Point being that I feel completely entitled to ask people for the PayPal extra % cos my records are cheap enuff already - happy to accept chqs and if people are able to send the PP as gift then happy days and always ask em that before I send a Total...4% of £10 for a record that most others ask £25 for isn't a sin, is it?

Social source share

Chris.

Totally agree Chris, although I understand the point Pete makes I have always considered paypal or credit card fees (I accept both) as one of the many costs of being in business just like petrol, paper, ink and stock. Personally because I am a registered business and have business bank accounts I have to pay bank fees for each cheque paid in and as you mentioned I'd rather pay paypal fees than go through the grief of driving into town with 2 kids in tow just to pay in a cheque for £10.

Other thing is paypal fees are far closer to 3% than 4% but everyone asks 4% to be added on!

Does put me off buying some stuff, mainly because I'm amazingly lazy and can't be bothered to work out and then add on 4% so unless it's a record I really want I usually don't bother ordering from those that charge and just wait until i see one from a seller who doesn't charge.

Adam.

Social source share

From a psychological point of view I'm sure many buyers are put off when they read they have to pay extra on top of record price and p&p. I certainly am.

Top tip for all greedy record dealers: why not add 3% plus ca. 30p to the "cheap as chips" price of the record and say you're covering Paypal fees? Increases your number of happy customers for sure..

Social source share

Why not just incorporate the PayPal fee (4%) into the sale price?

Make it £10.50 instead of £10. £52 instead of £50. £210 instead of £200.

I know that those prices looks a bit odd, but at least the buyers will not have the feeling of being charged even more for something that just makes the sellers life more practical.

While you're at it you might as well incorporate the shipping cost into the sales price and state "FREE SHIPPING AND NO PAYPAL FEES".

That's in essence what all major retailers (and the grocery store around the corner) do, because it makes the item(s) psychologically more appealing and it will without a doubt entice more customers.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Top tip for all tightwad buyers: try getting them cheaper anywhere else

Thats fairly easy.........its called eBay :lol:. Most people know that eBay is usually the cheapest place to buy, but are willing to pay a premium to buy from known/trusted sellers either on here or sales sites.

Social source share

Totally agree Chris, although I understand the point Pete makes I have always considered paypal or credit card fees (I accept both) as one of the many costs of being in business just like petrol, paper, ink and stock. Personally because I am a registered business and have business bank accounts I have to pay bank fees for each cheque paid in and as you mentioned I'd rather pay paypal fees than go through the grief of driving into town with 2 kids in tow just to pay in a cheque for £10.

Other thing is paypal fees are far closer to 3% than 4% but everyone asks 4% to be added on!

Does put me off buying some stuff, mainly because I'm amazingly lazy and can't be bothered to work out and then add on 4% so unless it's a record I really want I usually don't bother ordering from those that charge and just wait until i see one from a seller who doesn't charge.

Adam.

Dear Adam - I took timea few days back to actually calculate the PP % charged and it came out @ an average of 4.25%...sometimes it was higher, max was 5% but - largely - it was almost exactly 4.25% - I did it across a range of sales from £10 up to £150 and cross-checked it as closely as I could...

Guess it's a little like eBay - the % charges rise with the more you bring in..well - they are one and the same, right?

Social source share

Dear Adam - I took timea few days back to actually calculate the PP % charged and it came out @ an average of 4.25%...sometimes it was higher, max was 5% but - largely - it was almost exactly 4.25% - I did it across a range of sales from £10 up to £150 and cross-checked it as closely as I could...

Guess it's a little like eBay - the % charges rise with the more you bring in..well - they are one and the same, right?

Hi Mark, hope you're well?

I'm very surprised that your paypal fees came out so high. I assume that you have applied for the discounted merchant rates? My fees with paypal are 2.9% + £0.20 per payment received. On low value payments the £0.20 does considerably increase the % figure but has only a small effect on large value transactions.

Social source share

If its a low value record it does not bother me to much if people add the charge, but impacts the overall cost as the 45 price increases.

Quite often (when I have the money available in my bank account anyway!!)I will try and send a bill payment straight to the sellers bank account. As most banks now process faster payments it should show in their account within 2 hours (from November it will have to show in the recipients account and be available funds in this time, due to new legislation). No charges incurred then.

Regarding Paypal as a gift I thought it just meant the sender paid the charges?

Mike

Social source share

hi,

if you sent money via paypal as a gift and paid the fee yourself i thought it was only 1%,

so why not do it that way ?? and save yourself 3%,

joe.

The simple answer to this is that as a buyer I've had quite a few records that have been liberally graded to say the least! I will only send as personal/gift if I know the dealer from before or by recommendation. For everybody else, if the record is the right price for me to buy, then I'd rather pay the paypal fee for peace of mind and protection.

I agree with Mace that before paypal it was a right ball ache for buyer and seller and I also agree with Pete S that it is fair to charge paypal fees IF the price of the record and its condition is right.

The key problem, as noted originally in the thread, is greedy twats charging full "book" price for everything regardless of reality and then asking for paypal at 4% on top! They don't and won't get my business. So you pay your money and make your choice. Choose sellers wisely, and alert the community of any real nightmares so we can avoid rip off merchants.

Regards...

Social source share

As a buyer I have no problems with sellers/dealers adding what ever they want to the final sale price because that is the cost of doing business (buying the record). I am aware of the final price I'm likely to pay, when everything is added together, so if I can get a record cheaper elsewhere it's only then that the seller loses my business.

But I'm sure some buyers aren't so 'forgiving' when they see 'extra' costs and I'm also sure that some buyers don't even notice :thumbup:

However from a marketing point of view it's probably the worse way of presenting any item for sale. Some buyers will just walk away (go to a new web page :thumbsup: ) and who would want to reduce the amount of people interested in your sale items , that's a road to slowly going out of business. :lol:

On the other hand if a sellers/dealers prices are then higher than their competitors because they've added in all the costs to the final price, the buyer might not notice they have to pay more to a seller/dealer who hasn't added in all the costs , they wont get that sale either :lol: ..... then again Manships won't be going out of business any time soon :thumbup:

Edited by Oldfeet
Social source share

Guest Perception

I would like to know how records were priced before any price guides were published, personally i use them for reference on label variations only, and never take any notice of the prices, good.gif

Quite right I agree, thats all I do. The prices are soon out of date anyway!

Social source share

As I buyer, it doesn't really bother me if the seller requests extra for the paypal fees. The records I purchase are normally quite cheap anyway, so the extra is ususally only a couple of quid. But then being the tightwad that I am I usually work it all out before contacting the seller, and if I think it's too much I don't buy. Simples! :D

Social source share

As I buyer, it doesn't really bother me if the seller requests extra for the paypal fees. The records I purchase are normally quite cheap anyway, so the extra is ususally only a couple of quid. But then being the tightwad that I am I usually work it all out before contacting the seller, and if I think it's too much I don't buy. Simples! :D

[/qu

Good point, aint too bad on cheapos, but it can add up on the dearer stuff, especially when the contrasting mailing costs are added on from the states

Social source share

All of this "I`ll ask for the paypal fees because i sell my records cheap anyway" is rubbish! The record is only worth what someone will pay for it and as a dealer the last thing i want is 20 people asking for the same record when i have made a balls up with a price (See Connie Stevens on my last list), or at least sold something too cheap. Interesting that some dealers dont mind giving visa or mastercard their cut for their services but dont treat a paypal transaction in the same way.

Its not the dealers I have a problem with, Most prices i see from dealers on here are very fair (especially Pete), because they actually want to sell the record. Plus, as a dealer myself i appreciate what goes into getting the records, costs of banking,tax,inport duty, mailers, advertising etc etc. The records i have a problem with are guys trying to flog a record for top book price and then still try and add paypal fees. As was mentioned earlier, thats why we see the same records on the sales forum again and again.

Chris.

Social source share

Paypal charges = cost of sales. Prices should take account of it.

I used to take credit cards when I ran my pub but I wouldn't have dreamt of saying to a customer "Ah! that'll be 3% extra if you are paying by credit card".

I prefer being paid by paypal anyway so don't charge for it, much rather have paypal than a cheque to be honest as it speeds up the transaction.

The only downside is having to charge for insured postage, cos if stuff goes missing paypal always refund the buyer leaving the seller to try and recover from the post office.

All just IMHO thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Agree in principal with your your comments, I generally say split fees 2% each, When I sell, I price keenly, but in some cases people try to knock your set price down, it really fc*ks you off when you see them relisting at double what they paid you. Still you remember them, and they only buy once off you. ATB Steve rolleyes.gif

Social source share

The condition is much more important to me. I'm sick of recieving 45's that have faults that were not in the grading. When you have paid top book price for something that is graded M-, but when you get it the label has bubbles/crinkles. That really pisses me off, and should have been noted in the discription. Happened to me last week, from the so called no.1 dealer. wanker.gif Last one I had from him I had to send back, overgraded again. angry.gifno.gif

On the paypal fees argument. Most people on here aren't dealers, and they will have probably paid top Dollar for their records. It is natural for them to hope to get their money back when they sell. I certainly do.

Phil.

Social source share

but in some cases people try to knock your set price down, it really fc*ks you off when you see them relisting at double what they paid you. Still you remember them, and they only buy

Sorry Steve, Dont agree, if you agree to sell a record at a certain price its up to the buyer what they do with it when they own it. I am always buying stuff on here cause i know i can resell it and when buyers buy from me I assume they are going to do the same thing, and good luck to them. Different sellers sell different stuff, i`m good mates with Shifty and we always have conversations about how he sells a certain record easily and I cant sell the same record for love nor money...and of course the other way around.

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

It really doesn't matter who pays fees postage etc the bottom line is what the final price is and are you willing to pay it.

Simples

Never a truer word. There was a Lonnie Lester on a list on here maybe a week ago for I think £60 and there is another on now for £110.... I would be happy to pay 4% more and P&P etc. for the right price one and just walk away from the other...

Social source share

Why dont we just adopt the Record collectors grading ready reckoner.

It stops people from overpricing from book values.

If you dont know this system get a copy of Record collector rare record price guide Or maybe some one could scan it ( For education puposes-Your not breaking copyright that way) and post it up for all to see.

If people say they dont use the guides then why are most dealers prices & certain individuals (Except Pedro) so close to the guide prices?

What gets me is people overcharging for postage & packing - It should cost what it costs and nothing more

Spending time packing and taking to the post office is part of the Unit price of the item not part of the P&P charge- any businessman knows that!rolleyes.gif

Social source share

If you,ve chased a record for years and it turns up at the right price you'll pay the price % or not !!

Now there speaks a true collectorgood.gif

well said Toma ,now should'nt you be supping your cocoa and climbing the stairslaugh.gif

on topic though ,i agree 100% with Chris

Paypal provide a service and charge for the convenience ,after all theyre running a business.

Incidently the sellers/dealers who argue the opposite ,when you sell records on ebay ,they charge a fee for listing a fee for selling , you allow people to pay via paypal and don't charge 4% to the buyer ..do youwicked.gif

I sell records either when i'm skint or when i want something,i allow people to haggle ,and never charge people to pay via paypal so yes it ticks me off when people charge meangry.gif

so i withdraw money from paypal and send a cheque yes.gif

Social source share

I'm a mixture of lazy and time pressed, which i think applies to a fair few collectors, so I want (1) simplicity, and (2) a reason to bother spending what time I have looking through a sales list or advert. Some days on SS there's so many lists of sales to look through I cherry pick some and leave the rest, and some sellers make their sales look more attractive by listing a few tasty morsels under the heading ( dont understand those that dont do this) others use different methods, like Pete Smith uses lower prices and he's known for it.

Over time you get to know which names are likely to have stuff that interests you and matches your tastes and wallet. One seller whose lists I always look at is bitch dj and the reason I look is what's written at the top of each sales list - "as usual prices incl UK P+P and paypal fees...any questions PM me or email cookinupsoul@aol.com"

(I've supposed over time that this is the female dj Cookie ?)

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is I'm in the camp that says a record listed at £87.67 all inclusive of card charges,paypal, special delivery and anything else is more preferable to reading £80 and then finding I've got to work out the extra charges for cardboard mailer, sticky tape, petrol to take it to the post office, childminder, stopping off a mcDonalds because I've missed my lunch hour from work, and every other daft thing people have said to me over the years.

Of course if you go with this sales method of all inclusive you've got to apply a little common sense, if the buyer goes to collect the record because the seller lives locally they dont expect to pay the full whack, same as if its collected from a venue, or if they buy several records you'd expect to negociate some discount.

(as a former saleman I know everybody loves a bit of discount. That word has a power, a bit like when your missus says " d'ya fancy an early nite ?" it's not the actual words,or their literal meaning, its the effect they have on you :-)

Incidentally, and this is the gospel truth, the last thing I did before logging into SS tonite was to email a record seller in the states, and I worded my offer "$XX in total including postage to England for these 2 records. If acceptable let me have your paypal address". I know what I'd pay for these 2 in a Niter, so why pay more to buy them mail order?

btw I agree record condition and bad description is an equally annoying problem. A record described truthfully as "looks rough but plays okay to dj with, odd crackle and pop" or VG if you like that term better, is only worth at the very most 50% of the value of a very clean "near minter" ( excellent, shiny vinyl, clean label, no writing, no visible scratches, plays without any sign of hiss, etc)

For folk who disagree with this percentage, try selling them at a venue. People pull them out of the sleeve and immediately either bid down the marked price or drop it back in the box and walk away. Yes I know folk, especially on ebay, seem to love to pay 95% of book for a scratchy VG minus, but that's because they're not right/deluded. Instead of VG sellers should use PH - to mean these records are only Place Holders until a decent one comes along. If you read that instead of VG would you still bid 95% ? I think not.

On the other hand a true new old stock unplayed copy of any one of the rare gems known to be bad wearers or frequent hissers is worth 10-20% over the odds ( this bit is imho, the 50% maximum for vg isn't, it's fact)

Oh, one of these days I must put up my favourite record bar story about a record condition/valuation conversation. It was many years ago but it still makes me smile.

Edited by purist
Social source share

I'm a mixture of lazy and time pressed, which i think applies to a fair few collectors, so I want (1) simplicity, and (2) a reason to bother spending what time I have looking through a sales list or advert. Some days on SS there's so many lists of sales to look through I cherry pick some and leave the rest, and some sellers make their sales look more attractive by listing a few tasty morsels under the heading ( dont understand those that dont do this) others use different methods, like Pete Smith uses lower prices and he's known for it.

Over time you get to know which names are likely to have stuff that interests you and matches your tastes and wallet. One seller whose lists I always look at is bitch dj and the reason I look is what's written at the top of each sales list - "as usual prices incl UK P+P and paypal fees...any questions PM me or email cookinupsoul@aol.com"

(I've supposed over time that this is the female dj Cookie ?)

thats me :lol:

it makes life easier for the buyer to see the final figure without adding bits on...i quite often get moans about shipping costs when i sell stuff on ebay but $4 is the minimum you can display unless you offer free shipping...and as has been stated here none of us moan about the charges for selling on ebay so why charge them on SS?...regarding condition if its beat up then i say so a recent example being the exportations i sold for pennies recently...played well enough though or i would not list it...people are always welcome to "discuss" prices i love a good haggle.......as chris said about people buying stuff to sell on why not? i do it all the time i buy stuff from here and there if i think i can make a buck on it by selling it elsewhere ...how else can i fund this illness called record collecting????.....at the end of the day we are all quite often way out on prices...people will only pay what they want for a record...and often that depends on how badly they want it....

i only have one gripe about SS sales/wants etc and that is i wish people would send a brief message to say "thanks i got the record"...or "thanks but im sorted for that want"...its only manners after all after you have taken the time to message them ...send records etc....

cookie :lol:

Social source share

As people have said adding paypal fees is just another way of milking the last penny out of a sale and for me on a cheapie it doesn't bother me too much, but does it pain me on larger sale items. So if there are larger fees involved and the seller is in the UK, I'll send a cheque. I don't DJ so I've got time to wait; you just have to think about how long you wait for tunes from the states as it probably works out about the same time.

The thing that really gets to me is the p*ss taking some sellers have of charging high prices for postage. I have no issues with rounding the cost up to the nearest pound, but when you get charged a fiver for postage and its in a second hand mailer and has a few stamps on it, now that really miff's me......

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

I don't care as long as the seller is upfront about it.

However this week I won an ebay item for $9.99. The postage rate wasn't quoted but the rate for S&H in the US was and this was $3.75 and very reasonable at that I thought.

I had to obviously request a total from the seller to be sent an invoice for $9.99 plust $13.50 for the S&H. I'd factored in about $7-8 S&H which is usual.

I suspect the only reason the seller didn't have a price for S&H to Europe, though he clearly stated he would ship there, was so he could inflate the price after the auction.

I've paid it as the record was still good value but it did p*ss me off a lot.

He made a few extra dollars but has lost a future bidder who may just have served to pump up the value of s future sale through competing with another bidder.

There is such a thing as making a 'Bad' profit.

Social source share

£48 I think Pete...but I agree with you. So many sales on here are at Manship's guide price and ain't minters.

Couldn't agree more Martyn, I've had real problems on here but most were resolved, far too many vg+ grades masquerading as Ex or even Ex+ and has put me off buying on here for good I think, shame really as there's no need for it, think what we need in the guidelines of sales are strict gradings

thumbsup.gif

Lenny

Social source share

However this week I won an ebay item for $9.99. The postage rate wasn't quoted but the rate for S&H in the US was and this was $3.75 and very reasonable at that I thought.

I had to obviously request a total from the seller to be sent an invoice for $9.99 plust $13.50 for the S&H. I'd factored in about $7-8 S&H which is usual.

I suspect the only reason the seller didn't have a price for S&H to Europe, though he clearly stated he would ship there, was so he could inflate the price after the auction.

He made a few extra dollars but has lost a future bidder who may just have served to pump up the value of s future sale through competing with another bidder.

hi,

i've had the same problem before, so i always ask before the end of the auction nowadays if there's no postage,

saves a bit of discussion after, you think paypal would make sellers put up the prices for 7 or 12" records,

they seem to have a rule for everything else, maybe postage should be free all around the world for records,

sellers would have to add it on to the start price, if buyers didn't like the price then don't bid,

might be worthy of a discussion unless it's been discussed before,

joe.

Social source share

=======================================================================================================

Hiya Ged ive payed over the odds postage wise several times this years ive mail them and asked why the postage was so high when usually its only around $6-8 each time ive been credited the overpaid differance one fella charged me $18 but put back $10 into paypal after i contacted him...

Social source share

Guest tomaokeh

I can confirm that this works - tried it through John Manship for the first time recently and will do it from now on elsewhere. :thumbup:

Yes nice one Joe as for buying a record for $9.99 and the sellers postage fee is $14. email them and tell them straight you collect an have done for years and never pay more than $6 to $7 postage they quickly drop the postage costs it works for me try it!!:boxing:

I ONLY HAVE COCO AT YOURS NEV lol

Edited by tomaokeh
Social source share

Sorry, you've missed the point, which is to reduce or get rid of Paypal fees. Something that can be done. Not sure what postage - or Joe - has to do with itlaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

HI,

IT'S NOT JUST PAYPAL FEES WE HAVE TO PAY IS IT,

POSTAGE FEES ARE OVER THE TOP AT TIMES AS WELL,

SOME US DEALERS CHARGE FOR INSURANCE AS WELL,

SO IT CAN BE $25 PLUS FOR SOME 45s,

AS FOR GETTING RID OF PAYPAL FEES, WELL DREAM ON,

JOE.

Social source share

Guest tomaokeh

Sorry, you've missed the point, which is to reduce or get rid of Paypal fees. Something that can be done. Not sure what postage - or Joe - has to do with itlaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

If you read on this topic has become a broader aspect paypal fees And postage costs!!!! Its all about getting ripped OFF either waythumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest soulful ady

It's a fair point if the record is priced at book price, but if it's cheap then I can't see the problem with adding 4% paypal fees.

As a buyer, I always consider what the total cost will be inc P&P and paypal fees.

Same with ebay sellers who overcharge for P&P.....if the record is well cheap it doesn't bother me if I pay higher shipping costs than usual as long as the final cost is still below what I am willing to pay.

Then consider buying off international sellers (which is obviously relevant to this site), before paypal, it was either risk sending the cash (and pay extra on top to insure it), or having to go to Barclays and pay something like £13 for an International Money Order, way too much time and hassle...I personally would much rather pay the sellers paypal fees than go through all that again.

Hi Mace Spot on there,i can remember in the early days of ebay about 99/00 i was buying and selling on the bay,it was a right pain going down the bank getting $$$$$$$,sending it of and hoping.Just as bad when selling,people still sending us chq's etc,which wern't worth cashing in the end.still got a few now.Then came Bidpay which was bit better and faster not much though.

So paypal cost' s a bit but worth it,in most cases.

Ps sure u had a few of me back then....

Cheers ady

Edited by soulful ady
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert