Charity Event Or For Profits

Guest REVILOT

I apologise, I assumed you had read the thread.

I am not saying anything that hasn't already been said on here this week. Have a look at the Wellingborough thread in AATS.

The organisers themselves state there is no money for the charity as it has all gone on expenses.

All £3,566 of it.

Bloody hell, can't believe this - no money for charity???? - I would call that a totally Non Charity event.

Social source share

• Replies 116
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest REVILOT

I think it's another sign of approaching mortality. As we pass middle age and enter the third phase of our lives, we become more aware of the need for solidarity, compassion, altruism etc; After all, charity events were pretty thin on the ground in the 70's, weren't they? DJs should of course donate their fees if they decide to accept a booking where it's clear that all proceeds are going to a named charity. I also think that all bar takings/profits should be donated, then we'd really see how sincere people were, wouldn't we?

This is a wonderfu post.

AND

The bar takings is a big issue - I have DJ'd at an event a few years ago were the bar manager was eccstatic at the bar takings for the night, nothing came from them to the charity though and they still took 100 quid for the use of the room ...................................

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Joan. Not at all. I'm just sounding off, as this type of activity is overlooked and it actually the main reason I am no longer in CDs. I simply cannot sell them due to the easy access of 'charity discs'

Then put out some CDs out with tracks that are not already out there, the ones that the charity guys ripped onto their CDs.

I would buy em :lol:

Social source share

Hiya,

Still confused - money taken back for reimbursement for flyers?, I've always considered that if I'm putting the charity night on, I foot the ball for anything that requires cost, NEVER would I consider taking the money back as expenses, it's for charity - not a commercial event, a charity event that I've chosen to put on to raise money so I wouldn't hinder my own fundraising by taking expenses for anything, be in hall hire, security, flyers,etc.

Jayne.x

Hi Jayne,

This is precisely why the event was advertised as "All profits to charity" - to hopefully avoid any confusion.

I was given the go ahead to run this event and was informed that the intention was that it should be self funding. As a first time promoter some of the initial outlay requirements came as a bit of a surprise to me, especially as I was going solo on this, but I was able to continue. Without taking out the cost of the initial batch of flyers and the compulsory charge for the door staff I would have been forced to abandon the idea. I did end up part funding it myself, to the tune of £2-300 but that was because I wanted to. I wish I could have done more, but unlike yourself I didn't have the finances available. Still made £1800 from door takings/donations/raffle though, and that's after said deductions. I'm not ashamed of that or the way I went about it.

-Kev.

Social source share

speculate to accumalate?

i regularly attended sports dinner charity events at the hilton here in sheffield. these events raise fantastic amounts for charity.

i would be surprised if the waiters work for free and the farmer suppliers the potatoes as a gesture?

i am sure the vast amount of charity events have some outlay. the area manager of Oxfam will surely be on a good wage? i know for sure that our chosen charity - weston park hospital - employs several full-time staff on good salaries all working hard to maximise the charity fund.

however, i applaud you for your full committment.

shane

Hi,

This makes me realise I'm surrounded by some brilliant people - the venue I was going to hold this year's christie's night in, have to charge a fee but if I provide a letter of proof then the hall hire is donated back into the charity collection and the bar staff who were due to work on the event had arranged to donate their wages for the night. (Not a surprise as some of them came down and helped out FOC when I did the last one at V45 last year). All the DJ's volunteered to DJ, as Ernie Andrews has mentioned and I won't name him (as I'd rather check its ok to do so) but a great promoter on here offered amazing help with sound equip and flyers.

Probably completely OT but I'm realising I'm pretty lucky to know such fab people.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Hi Jayne,

This is precisely why the event was advertised as "All profits to charity" - to hopefully avoid any confusion.

I was given the go ahead to run this event and was informed that the intention was that it should be self funding. As a first time promoter some of the initial outlay requirements came as a bit of a surprise to me, especially as I was going solo on this, but I was able to continue. Without taking out the cost of the initial batch of flyers and the compulsory charge for the door staff I would have been forced to abandon the idea. I did end up part funding it myself, to the tune of £2-300 but that was because I wanted to. I wish I could have done more, but unlike yourself I didn't have the finances available. Still made £1800 from door takings/donations/raffle though, and that's after said deductions. I'm not ashamed of that or the way I went about it.

-Kev.

Hi,

Nor should you be ashamed! I'm not having a pop, I've just never thought of it like that.

I don't have finances available, I'd always try to keep it minimal, maybe the experience of running soul night at Bury for a while gave me the opportunity to keep costs down or maybe you did yours on a bigger scale.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Hi,

Nor should you be ashamed! I'm not having a pop, I've just never thought of it like that.

I don't have finances available, I'd always try to keep it minimal, maybe the experience of running soul night at Bury for a while gave me the opportunity to keep costs down or maybe you did yours on a bigger scale.

Jayne.x

No probs Jayne. I was only given the go ahead to put on this bash if it was on a larger scale, though I still got the venue for free. I would just be surprised if many charity do's, other than those put on at an established venue perhaps, didn't have the same unavoidable expenditure. For those that find a way to overcome this problem - WELL DONE, I applaud you. thumbsup.gif

-Kev.

Social source share

Guest welshruss

mmmmmm tricky thread this one - emotive.

As most will know,Sue and i recently ran a Charity Night at a local venue,and yes we were accused of "just promoting the venue for the regular monthly nights" - WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS......

1 - We are in no way involved with running of the regular nights.

2 - We chose the venue bacause it was offered to us for free,and holds 250+ people.

3 - All our DJs gave there time for free - and brought with them prizes for the raffle

4 - In total this night cost me just over £170 out of my own pocket - which i did not take out of the evenings takings.

Oh yes ive heard some of the hearsay surrounding our night - what a load of sado,s - those people are.It does make you think "why did i bother"

Sue and i are currently working with the PR girl from the "Hospice" to put together a press release Re the night,with the amount raised (see earlier thread,lookbacks).

In fact the only money i took on the day was when Sue said to me "heres £50 nip to Asda and get a bit more ale so we can invite all the DJs back here after as thank you to them" - and that came out of her purse.

However,..now ive got that off my chest it all pales into insignificance by all the phone calls and messages on the answer phone that we recieved on the Sunday after,so this is my chance to say thank you to all those people.In fact one of the DJs wives on the night has actually sent us a thank you card thumbsup.gif

Disillusioned - North Wales.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

mmmmmm tricky thread this one - emotive.

As most will know,Sue and i recently ran a Charity Night at a local venue,and yes we were accused of "just promoting the venue for the regular monthly nights" - WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS......

Disillusioned - North Wales.

Hi Russ

I can categorically confirm that the superb Charity Night you put on at Broughton was in no way, shape or form designed to 'promote' our regular soul nights. In fact, as you will remember at the time you first mentioned it to me, I was a little hesitant about whether the inclusion of a September charity event would 'upset' the new pattern we were trying to establish this year of bi-monthly soul nights.

Once we overcame that hurdle the remainder of the negotiations were organised between you and the club management who have nothing directly to do with our regular soul nights.

I offered to DJ, as any Cancer-related Charity event is very close to my heart (my first wife having died of breast cancer at the age of 37); in a similar way I also DJ'd at Jayne's Christie Charity Soul night last year. Not at any time did it cross my mind that I should be paid anything; in fact I would find it somewhat of an insult to be offered any form of payment or expenses.

Some people are so bad minded, makes you wonder why they are part of this great scene.

Keep your chin up - and good luck with next year's plans, whichever venue...and remember if you need me I'm the first to volunteer.

Brian thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest welshruss

Hi Russ

I can categorically confirm that the superb Charity Night you put on at Broughton was in no way, shape or form designed to 'promote' our regular soul nights. In fact, as you will remember at the time you first mentioned it to me, I was a little hesitant about whether the inclusion of a September charity event would 'upset' the new pattern we were trying to establish this year of bi-monthly soul nights.

Once we overcame that hurdle the remainder of the negotiations were organised between you and the club management who have nothing directly to do with our regular soul nights.

I offered to DJ, as any Cancer-related Charity event is very close to my heart (my first wife having died of breast cancer at the age of 37); in a similar way I also DJ'd at Jayne's Christie Charity Soul night last year. Not at any time did it cross my mind that I should be paid anything; in fact I would find it somewhat of an insult to be offered any form of payment or expenses.

Some people are so bad minded, makes you wonder why they are part of this great scene.

Keep your chin up - and good luck with next year's plans, whichever venue...and remember if you need me I'm the first to volunteer.

Brian thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the reply Brian......................I just had to get it off my chest,but these people have to be told.

Pity you were playing golf the next day,you,d have enjoyed the "other doo"- great laugh (although i dont think the neighbours thought so).

Well, i suppose this will wind up a few - see you next week my friend for another installment.......................Russ

Social source share

Ive done a fair few charity gigs, doing one tonight in fact for Macmillan, and I always drop my fee by at least 50%.

However, I do agree with the other posters about having a living to make, especially as it is a profession (full time that is) for some of us.

Social source share

When you say 'these people have to be told' I assume you're referring to these people who accused you of 'promoting the venue for regular monthly nights', not the people on this site. This thread has inevitably raised the transparency issue, or lack of it, at some so called charity events across the country. I think people are right to voice such concerns, it's got bugger all to do with cynicism in my opinion.

Social source share

Guest welshruss

When you say 'these people have to be told' I assume you're referring to these people who accused you of 'promoting the venue for regular monthly nights', not the people on this site. This thread has inevitably raised the transparency issue, or lack of it, at some so called charity events across the country. I think people are right to voice such concerns, it's got bugger all to do with cynicism in my opinion.

Yes it was aimed at those people,the accusers.And i hope they read this thread..............Russ

Edited by welshruss
Social source share

angry.gif No it bloody isn't! At a large level maybe? But there are people who do just as good & honest a job at local level!!! It's not hard...this is the ammount in.. minus any expenses (if there are any)...here is ex ammount to the charity...hardly rocket science is it?

The charities rely on the little joe public for the biggest majority of their fundraising...what are you saying? Only go to events that are proffesionaly organised ? Strangely enough it's often those that make the least profits compared to costs!!

Have a look at the Coppertops lads by us...they are up to probably £15/16,000 or more to Motor Nurone from the few Abbey soul nights they have done...are they not honest & capable?

We have done 3 small local nights alongside the christmas lights & are up to around £7000 to Cancer research UK...never so much as a penny gone to costs...always gone for a venue that is free & any printing etc, plus in our case the hundreds spent on the lights, come out of our own pocket...are we not honest & capapble?

Sorry I think that was a daft statement that just does no good to the charities, as I have been saying!

Edit:

Even though that line narked me...I should have said....'still bloody fantastic what you & the YKSoul team have achieved Andy'...absolutley brilliant!!! good.gif

We're on the same page with this one yes.gif - I didn't mean professional with a capital 'P' but exactly what you are referring to 'honest and capable' doing everything in a professional way as opposed to exclusively in the domain of Professionals and corporate orgs ...With yksoul , when we started we recognised our limitations & we matched our experience and ability & started with small 100 capacity events then increasing to 300 and then the Ist 600 capacity york alldayer .

(I'm often surprised how many well meaning individuals inadvertedly put themselves at risk as promotors (charity events or not) by not being aware of insurance implications (public liability etc ) , basic Health & Safety i.e. ensuring borrowed electrical equipment is PAT tested etc. )

best

Andy

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

Joan...i've just read the other thread...& yes it don't make great reading. But to me it just makes some of these posts on here worse! Because it's just a case of hijacking a thread to try & start up again a topic that was closed by Mike.

And as I said, all it does is put that stain on others to the detriment of the charities.

I can see where you are coming from and I would agree with you if this thread was about one charity in particular.

But it's not. It is about charity events in general.

And whether you like it or not there appears to be some not so good ones out there!

edit - changed to appears to be as I really am not accusing anyone of anything thumbsup.gif

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

No probs Jayne. I was only given the go ahead to put on this bash if it was on a larger scale, though I still got the venue for free. I would just be surprised if many charity do's, other than those put on at an established venue perhaps, didn't have the same unavoidable expenditure. For those that find a way to overcome this problem - WELL DONE, I applaud you. thumbsup.gif

-Kev.

I am involved with a charity for Rwanda and have been for the last ten years.

We have a shop in Preston and all profits go directly to the poorest of the poor in Rwanda, regardless of whether they are Tutsi or Hutu.

Although all the staff are unpaid volunteers - the rent and utilities on the shop still need to be paid.

More often than not here will always be some costs involved. Nothing at all to be ashamed of as they are totally unavoidable in some cases.

You just do everything you can to ensure those costs are as low as possible. No one can ask more than that.

Social source share

Hi Jayne,

-Kev.

Agree Kev.

It is impossible in many cases to get a venue for free advertise for free etc etc .If a charity do costs 5k to put on, then after costs were taken off a charity only gets 500 quid thats a better net return on the total outlay than many companies operate at shades

Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert