Lily Fields On Kent

Goldsoul

• Replies 47
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Check out the Lily Fields unreleased track on the GWP pt 2 cd from Kent.

Absolutely mind blowing.

Not half kev,without doubt the best new record i've heard in the last 10 years... so much like my all time favourite alice clark-you hit me..... this will take some beating !

Social source share

I hope not, or I'm out of a job.

It's a stonking Pied Piper production done in Detroit for GWP. Feel free to DJ off carvers or we might just get round to putting it on Kent Select eventually. Thanks for the positive comments, it took some negotiating! I'd post it but have no idea how to, the rest of the CD has some corkers too, check out Bobby Penn's 'Without Your Love'.

Social source share

I think that it's a crying shame that tracks like this are so badly managed. I remember this one being played years ago on Richard Searlings radio show when it was on a Sunday afternoon. I recorded the program, and I have been raving about this, [and a couple of others that were played on the same show] ever since. If one or maybe two DJ's could have had cuts of this for 12 months or so, I think it would have gone massive.

I did actually PM you Ady, a long time ago about this very track, but I never got a reply. Very strange that you started to play it at the 100 not long after.

Problem is, once it is out there on CD the kudos is lost.

Phil.

Social source share

OK track one is the Lilly Fields, track two from the same show and also brilliant, I'd love to get my hands on it. innocent.gif

Didn't know both and Lily Fields is indeed a great track. Second one's a goodie too, somehow I think I had heard it at this years 100 club anniversary. Or at least one with very similar background singers

Social source share

OK track one is the Lilly Fields, track two from the same show and also brilliant, I'd love to get my hands on it. innocent.gif

FFS Phil, MP3's of newly released tracks, not the brightest thing to do in any circumstances but given the sites very correct stance (and remember legally required too) its a pretty selfish dumb thing to do. Why dont you write to the artist and ask them to send their food over to you too.

Take them down now, from a concerned Kent fan rather than anything to do with the site.

No wonder Ady ignores your PM's. Sorry but some people on here really take the p**s and it does my head in.

Just buy the f*****g CD the lot of you and put some money in the artists pockets, bunch of tight wads.

I bought it on Amazon within 3 seconds of it appearing here, its not difficult.

Social source share

FFS Phil, MP3's of newly released tracks, not the brightest thing to do in any circumstances but given the sites very correct stance (and remember legally required too) its a pretty selfish dumb thing to do. Why dont you write to the artist and ask them to send their food over to you too.

Take them down now, from a concerned Kent fan rather than anything to do with the site.

No wonder Ady ignores your PM's. Sorry but some people on here really take the p**s and it does my head in.

Just buy the f*****g CD the lot of you and put some money in the artists pockets, bunch of tight wads.

I bought it on Amazon within 3 seconds of it appearing here, its not difficult.

It does have spoilers throughout Jock and is lower-fi than a proper cd recording. On the strength of hearing that, I think I'd buy the cd to be honest.

Social source share

I think that it's a crying shame that tracks like this are so badly managed. I remember this one being played years ago on Richard Searlings radio show when it was on a Sunday afternoon. I recorded the program, and I have been raving about this, [and a couple of others that were played on the same show] ever since. If one or maybe two DJ's could have had cuts of this for 12 months or so, I think it would have gone massive.

I did actually PM you Ady, a long time ago about this very track, but I never got a reply. Very strange that you started to play it at the 100 not long after.

Phil.

Im not so sure about "badly managed" but I do wonder about the efficacy of Ady limiting all these unreleased tracks to exclusive selective dj use for a longish period of time. If and by the time they make it to vinyl I would have thought they'd be maybe out of favour somewhat with the upfront crowd.

It might be worth a punt at putting a real good track out straight away on vinyl and giving the opportunity for any dj to play it which IMO would get it a wider audience immediately and hopefully more of a buzz being brand new. As a lot of the stuff Ady does put out does tend toward a more traditional NS sound I woulda thought there was a potential audience outside the odd allnighter.

On the other hand I don't run a well-respected record label so what do I know.

ROD

Social source share

It does have spoilers throughout Jock and is lower-fi than a proper cd recording. On the strength of hearing that, I think I'd buy the cd to be honest.

Ooops, at work so can't listen.

My unreserved apologies Phil, just lots of people have been putting up MP3's lately despite sites clear guidance, so you got the brunt of it. Hope thats not me barred from Burnley before I ever attend!

Stick to my comments about buying it though, get doing it now!

Social source share

Im not so sure about "badly managed" but I do wonder about the efficacy of Ady limiting all these unreleased tracks to exclusive selective dj use for a longish period of time. If and by the time they make it to vinyl I would have thought they'd be maybe out of favour somewhat with the upfront crowd.

It's not about creating interest for a future vinyl release. Quinvy's point was that LF should have been given to key player DJs to raise interest for the CD release.

Social source share

Yes I got that Benji but it doesn't negate my point. Why "key player" and not for instance the dj's at Kingsway?

ROD

Being from Germany I'm not familiar with the whole "structure" of allnighters/soul nights in the UK, i.e. which one's the biggest/best/bla bla.

"Key player DJs" in the sense of promoting a previously unreleased track should be DJs who can reach a wider part of the target audience not just a few well known "names".

Social source share

Excellent, very clean production, I like it a lot but it does sound a little new?

Can I ask the controversial question; is it a wrong side of town kinda track??

It sounded the dogs at Rugby,when Ady eventually got therethumbup.gif

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Post removed containing MP3 file, reminder of house rules:

Posting or requesting Mp3s

Due to copyright issues posting or requesting mp3s on all forums (except if posted with sales ) is not allowed.

If you do wish to post/request a clip please do so via refosoul feature

Social source share

Post removed containing MP3 file, reminder of house rules:

Posting or requesting Mp3s

Due to copyright issues posting or requesting mp3s on all forums (except if posted with sales ) is not allowed.

If you do wish to post/request a clip please do so via refosoul feature

As the starter of the thread, glad too see I managed to alert a few to it.

I too bought it from a source on Amazon for £8.50, how do they do it?

Hopefully one day I'll get a promo once I get a few gigs under my belt!

Simon.. No, it's nothing to do with a homemade production such as 'wrong side' it's a just a belting unreleased that Ady turned up.

Ironically. I met her in 1975 in Downstairs records, New York with her manager John Bennings who handed me a test pressing of Love Has So Many Meanings.

I gave it to Ian Levine to break at the Mecca as Wigan was totally unsuitable.

Back to Lily Fields on Kent, my no.1 spin on Radio from this weekend.

Social source share

Phil.

Hi Phil,

I agree, i wish someone had plugged this beforehand, I'm sorry if I ignored your PM, I had a period of about two years when i was incredibly busy and deluged with Emails, PMs, accounts etc and yours must have arrived mid crisis. I thought I was playing it before I'd been on the Searling show, I certainly have had the acetate for that long. I don't think anyone else but you has ever asked for a cut of this, it takes a long time for people to catch on to a record nowadays. If it's a great record though you'd still get the kudos for breaking it in your particular area.

Ady

Social source share

I did try to use the refosoul feature but it didn't work properly, so I informed Mike and put the tunes up to give people a chance to hear them. Both tracks were played over the airwaves many years ago, and have spoilers running right through them. I would never put a full sound file of an unreleased record up on a public forum. I will try and put them up on refosoul again.

Phil.

Social source share

It might be worth a punt at putting a real good track out straight away on vinyl and giving the opportunity for any dj to play it which IMO would get it a wider audience immediately and hopefully more of a buzz being brand new. As a lot of the stuff Ady does put out does tend toward a more traditional NS sound I woulda thought there was a potential audience outside the odd allnighter.

On the other hand I don't run a well-respected record label so what do I know.

ROD

Hi Rod,

It does take an age to break a new sound, but I'm not sure if that many of the "Upfront crowd" really buy CDs or new vinyl. There aren't many big name DJs I can think of who would play it off vinyl when everyone and anyone can get it; witness what Phil said about kudos. I gave Keb an acetate of Changes to play to his young funkyish crowd so when we do it on vinyl we might see if that helped. feel free to offer suggestions on the best way of promoting new old music.

Ady

Social source share

Hi Ady ive been playing Changes Lily Fields for 3 yrs in the odd DJ spot i do, it as always gone down really well.. I got it originally around 7 yrs ago off Rob Thomas on a cd he put together for me it was mostly unissued stuff Rob made it clear under no curcumstances was i to cut any of the unissued tracks

but i fell in love with the Lily Fields pied pier production it has everything so eventually i asked Rob was it ok to take a cut to play out thus promoting the track i was amazed when he shrugged his shoulders and said ya , did,nt know you had the rights to such a teriffic track hope ive helped in making Changes a track soulies want to hear & buy hopefullythumbsup.gif

Its awesome are there anymore uptempo pied piper productions knockin around yer record room like thatshades.gif

XXX Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

You wanna hear tunes as good & better i suggest you get your asses to the 100 Club & help support a venue that plays absolute quality tunes like this month in month out & has done for the last 30 years. You wanna be the first to hear em, be there............there are masses of quality tunes that never see the light of day outside Oxford Street, you gotta be there or miss out.

And Phil, with the greatest respect, i dont think these sounds are badly managed, they're exclusive ish, to Ady & the 100 Club, if people wanna hear these things, then they need to get down the hallowed steps & be a part of the legend.

I used to be every month, however work, family & an addictive personality mean i am not as supportive as i would like recently, but its deffo where its at for sure.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Phil.

==========================================================================

Youve got a short memory Phil !!! You asked me for it several years ago when i played it out and told you who it was and that it was unissued , i even played it at your Burnley niter you remember the only time i dj,d for yag.gifno.gif couple years ago, you wanna grow some hair to warm yer memory bank biggrin.gif

Social source share

Hi Ady ive been playing Changes Lily Fields for 3 yrs in the odd DJ spot i do, it as always gone down really well.. I got it originally around 7 yrs ago off Rob Thomas on a cd he put together for me it was mostly unissued stuff Rob made it clear under no curcumstances was i to cut any of the unissued tracks

but i fell in love with the Lily Fields pied pier production it has everything so eventually i asked Rob was it ok to take a cut to play out thus promoting the track i was amazed when he shrugged his shoulders and said ya , did,nt know you had the rights to such a teriffic track hope ive helped in making Changes a track soulies want to hear & buy hopefullythumbsup.gif

Its awesome are there anymore uptempo pied piper productions knockin around yer record room like thatshades.gif

XXX Ian Cunliffe

Hi Ian, That's good news, I think you answered the right of Rob to pass it on in your own description of events:P. The rest of the Pied Piper's are mainly the Nancy Wilcox, which are the ones I sold James T and Ginger and the 'More Than A Memory' that Phil posted up, which is a total one-off. Lilly is the only one that wasn't RCA as well as GWP/Pied piper. Since I did the RCA CDs I did manage to get some genuine acetates from the publishers.

Social source share

The cds wondervfully put together - imho -some real interesting things including Benny Gordon-larry banks and the bueatifully crafted bobby penn track!The Exception really threw me and was not expecting that at all-id say hats off to a job well done!!!

BAZ A

Thanks Baz, it was a hell of a lot of hard work negotiating it all once Jerry Purcell had died. If the Exception are white, it must be one of the best deep blue eyed soul numbers ever!

Social source share

The Devonnes is the same as Terri bryant and equally as good, if a tad slower, but you're talking about the GWP 1st CD which is still brilliant, but Lilly's 'Changes' is on the new Vol 2 out last month (which is even more brilliant!).

Where's me free copy you promised me Mr Croadsdell? Stuck in the post I should imaginewhistling.gif

(Ps. I provided you with scans of 'The New Yorkers' GWP 45 on W.B innocent.gif )

Social source share

rolleyes.gif

==========================================================================

Youve got a short memory Phil !!! You asked me for it several years ago when i played it out and told you who it was and that it was unissued , i even played it at your Burnley niter you remember the only time i dj,d for yag.gifno.gif couple years ago, you wanna grow some hair to warm yer memory bank biggrin.gif

You've got a shorter memory my friend. What I did say was "where the fook did you get that Lilly Fields unissued track from" I had had the tape recording for years before that night at Lawton.....boxing.gifrolleyes.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

rolleyes.gif

============================================================================================

no.gif Whatever Phil if there,s one thing ive got mate its a brill memory can even remember being in my pram age 18 months at mi Grandmas watchin the telly billy smarts circus with all the neighbours round

my gran had the only Tv in Corn St Leigh 1956 Georgie Fames mum was round Sally she was mi grans mateyes.gif

Edited by IANCSLOFT
Social source share

308545427_tp.jpg

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GWP-*-NYC-*-TLC-VOLUME-2--%3E%3E%3E-NEW-SOUL-CD-(KENT)_W0QQitemZ150378061192QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091006?IMSfp=TL091006152001r23510

GWP * NYC * TLC VOLUME 2 >>> NEW SOUL CD (KENT)

TRACKLISTING

1. BORN TO BE ALIVE Patrick Hernandez

2. WITHOUT YOUR LOVE - Bobby Penn

3. MY LIFE IS NO BETTER - Larry Banks & Jaibi

4. GO AWAY - The Hesitations

5. NEVER GONNA LET HIM KNOW - Debbie Taylor

6. ALL IN MY MIND - Benny Gordon

7. GOOD TO ME (AS I AM TO YOU) - The Hesitations

9. YOU HIT ME (WHERE IT HURT ME) - Alice Clark

10. CHANGES - Lillie Fields

11. TENNESSEE WALTZ - Little Rose Little

12. MOMMA, LOOK SHARP (FROM THE BROADWAY MUSICAL COMEDY "1776") - Debbie Taylor and The Hesitations

13. HERE IT COMES - The Persians

14. SO MUCH IN LOVE - The Exception

15. HOW LONG CAN THIS LAST - Debbie Taylor

16. IT WAS LIKE A NIGHTMARE - Jaibi aka Joan Bates

17. NEVER GIVE UP ON LOVE - Benny Gordon

18. I REALLY LOVE YOU - Larry Banks

19. STOP - Debbie Taylor

20. HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD - Plus 4

21. I WON'T BE SUCH A FOOL - The Modettes

22. YES I'M READY - The Hesitations

23. DON'T LET YOUR MIND GO WILD - Benny Gordon

24. YOU GOT ME - Jaibi

Track one,

Is this going to be released Ady? I know you have it on an acetate lets rock!

Social source share

check out Bobby Penn's 'Without Your Love'.

Superb version indeed! Gritty and brutal. :thumbup:

A great CD from beginning to end in my opinion (as was "Vol. 1"). Have been playing it non-stop during the past couple of days.

Also have to add that the sound quality on "Here It Comes" by The Persians on this CD is ridiculously good! Gorgeous tune.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert