Frank Beverly - If Thats What You Wanted

Gamble over sassy....but what about the Greek Top Tunes issue? Taking to Manship a while back he`s never even seen one, never mind had one up for auction. Im thinking it was released in Greece (as was Dee Dee Sharp - "Lady") to appeal to the GI`s who were stationed over there in the 60`s.

Anyone know different?

:thumbup:

post-7917-12549416139607_thumb.jpg

post-7917-12549416139607_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• Replies 48
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Gamble over sassy....but what about the Greek Top Tunes issue? Taking to Manship a while back he`s never even seen one, never mind had one up for auction. Im thinking it was released in Greece (as was Dee Dee Sharp - "Lady" to appeal to the GI`s who were stationed over there in the 60`s.

Anyone know different?

:wink:

Hi Steve,

Best record ever made and I never knew this even existed!

Been on the Turf?

Remember Rennie Halstead? His picture was in the BE on Tuesday from 71!

Brian

Social source share

Gamble over sassy....but what about the Greek Top Tunes issue? Taking to Manship a while back he`s never even seen one, never mind had one up for auction. Im thinking it was released in Greece (as was Dee Dee Sharp - "Lady" to appeal to the GI`s who were stationed over there in the 60`s.

Anyone know different?

:P

Absolutely Gobsmacked. :thumbup:

I've never seen or heard of one before, Many Thanks for Posting.

Social source share

Hi Steve,

Best record ever made and I never knew this even existed!

Been on the Turf?

Remember Rennie Halstead? His picture was in the BE on Tuesday from 71!

Brian

Not seen Rennie since we were teenagers Brian, but not long ago I was thinking about us lot way back then and Rennie was one of the lads in my thoughts.

Not been on this season.....im still on this treatment for another 14 weeks and I get knackered easily.

Ive passed the baton over to my 3 lads though. :thumbup:

Unity Friday Brian!....get yerself down there.

:yes:

Absolutely Gobsmacked. :P

I've never seen or heard of one before, Many Thanks for Posting.

Had it for a few years Roger, the looks it gets when im playing it out are quite strange. I know of just one more copy.

Just missed a Dee Dee Sharp on the same label last year.

If you look closely, the titles miss spelt and the label owner a Mr Plomaritis has sneakily added his name to the credits. B side is just called "Love" although its the same B as the Gamble/Sassy release.

Times are a wee bit tight here at the moment and I was thinking of parting with it but it would be with heavy heart, as its one of my prizes. Condition is as good as it looks and it plays like a Brit!

:g:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Had it for a few years Roger, the looks it gets when im playing it out are quite strange. I know of just one more copy.

Just missed a Dee Dee Sharp on the same label last year.

If you look closely, the titles miss spelt and the label owner a Mr Plomaritis has sneakily added his name to the credits. B side is just called "Love" although its the same B as the Gamble/Sassy release.

Times are a wee bit tight here at the moment and I was thinking of parting with it but it would be with heavy heart, as its one of my prizes. Condition is as good as it looks and it plays like a Brit!

wink.gif

Steve,

I've got one as well... not in as good nick as yours.... but also still in the original cover..

but when I see it had to buy it.. (some ones pushed the centre out and wrote on the label)rolleyes.gif

agree you do get looks when you play it...

Mischief

Social source share

Steve,

I've got one as well... not in as good nick as yours.... but also still in the original cover..

but when I see it had to buy it.. (some ones pushed the centre out and wrote on the label)rolleyes.gif

agree you do get looks when you play it...

Mischief

Tim Brown, about 12 years ago valued it at around £400-£500 and thought it was probably the only copy with the centre intact, as ALL were jukebox records. They are on very good vinyl as well.

I sold my Sassy demo for £300 to buy it and had about £200 change :thumbup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Not seen Rennie since we were teenagers Brian, but not long ago I was thinking about us lot way back then and Rennie was one of the lads in my thoughts.

Not been on this season.....im still on this treatment for another 14 weeks and I get knackered easily.

Ive passed the baton over to my 3 lads though. thumbup.gif

Unity Friday Brian!....get yerself down there.

wink.gif

wink.gif

Hi Steve,

I will be there on Friday, but might be a bit late down, so hopefully I will get in as it was a lock out time before last.

The bad news is Rennie committed suicide a long time ago. I was supposed to meet him on the Friday night in the Stork and never went as I had another do on. Hopefully not related but he died the next day.

I remember him spraying his golden labrador claret and blue and trying to take it on the cup semi final in 74! He ws never a soulie but what a great guy.

I owe you some terrible quality unreleased Motown stuff. I'll try to get them for you for Friday.

Brian

Social source share

Tim Brown, about 12 years ago valued it at around £400-£500 and thought it was probably the only copy with the centre intact, as ALL were jukebox records. They are on very good vinyl as well.

I sold my Sassy demo for £300 to buy it and had about £200 change thumbup.gif

400 to 500 maybe on planet Angloamerican but not on planet earth. As said in another thread, IMO unless they have a specific appeal to a collector (e.g. alternative take) mainland Euro releases value much lower than their US counterparts. And the copy I know of locally has the centre intact as well, so TB talking bullshit.

If I had a copy for sale, I'd price it at 100 maybe 150 on a greedy day.

Social source share

Gamble over sassy....but what about the Greek Top Tunes issue? Taking to Manship a while back he`s never even seen one, never mind had one up for auction. Im thinking it was released in Greece (as was Dee Dee Sharp - "Lady") to appeal to the GI`s who were stationed over there in the 60`s.

Anyone know different?

:D

"Taking to Manship a while back he`s never even seen one, never mind had one up for auction."

Hold on a minute, you certainly didn't talk to me.

This 45 we've had on numerous occasions over the years. Even found one myself in the 70s in Corfu, along with Dee Dee Sharp and Rocky Roberts on the Greek white and orange Durium. So unless someone is pretending to be me, your mistaken on that one.

I've actually never had one with a center removed..Yes they were on jukeboxes (Tim Ashibende I think told me he saw one on a jukebox) in Greece but also in the shops. Not had one in recent years, last time we had it our data says, we sold it set-sale for £300.

Social source share

Personally, i think the Italian pressing is more desirable (comes with nice picture sleeve as well).

What i find interesting about the Italian one is the use of strings on "Love Your Pain Goes Deep" which i don't think are on the U.S. pressing? :thumbsup:

Do strings feature on the Greek pressing?

Social source share

"Taking to Manship a while back he`s never even seen one, never mind had one up for auction."

======================================================================

Ive seen John Manship rubber masksking.gif being sold in Blackpool nr to the Tower, last Tower Weekender a couple of well known soul icons where seen buying one and going round offering to auction the Towerittes

rare 45,s for free many taking up this offer and they will be expecting payment at this Nov weekender in Blackpoolsad.gif

Social source share

Yep!..............a while back John when you auctioned my blue Sharks I mentioned this Frank Beverly on the phone and you told me about the one in Corfu (ok so I hadnt realised it was back in the 70`s :thumbsup: ) and I understood at that time you hadnt auctioned one. Maybe a bit vague on my part though I must admit.

:lol:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Personally, i think the Italian pressing is more desirable (comes with nice picture sleeve as well).

What i find interesting about the Italian one is the use of strings on "Love Your Pain Goes Deep" which i don't think are on the U.S. pressing? :shhh:

As far as I know, and this is one of my absolute faves, then JM's right and the Greek copy does appear now and then but is probably still scarce (How Tim Ash can reach down to use a jukebox baffles me the lanky devil). The Italian picture cover Gamble is also a nice rare slab.

However, for most of us it's between the US local release on Sassy and the US Gamble release. Additionally, for the sane, it is surely the double sider with 'Your Love - Pain' on the flip that is the most sought after and therefore surely the most scarce (scarcity = rarity x demand). That narows it down to the US Gamble release and one of the Saay 1002 releases. IMHO these are the releases that should carry a value premium.

Regards..

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

400 to 500 maybe on planet Angloamerican but not on planet earth. As said in another thread, IMO unless they have a specific appeal to a collector (e.g. alternative take) mainland Euro releases value much lower than their US counterparts. And the copy I know of locally has the centre intact as well, so TB talking bullshit.

If I had a copy for sale, I'd price it at 100 maybe 150 on a greedy day.

And what about lenny Curtis on Spanish HIT?.....more or less on par with the END release!

Lots of occasional bullshit talked from some dealers IMO :thumbup:

:wub:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

First I ever heard of the Greek copies of Frank or Dee Dee were when Ian Clarke had a quantity of them in the very early eighties - I think he knocked them out for either £4.00 or £6.00 each (I know I spent £12.00 but I might have had 3 records for that - can't be that exact)

I know it was at the time when a Sassy copy would fetch about £3 or £4, so it seemed like a good investment at the time, but when copies seemed to be everywhere (presumably from Ian - enough copies to satisfy anyone who wanted on at the time), I ended up selling them soon after - Dee Dee turns up regularly, but Frank seemed to be a little more elusive.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Social source share

Guest fatcontroller

I know Mischief has one of these greek issues as he played it out last year at the IOW. Was under the impression he'd bought it off John, might be wrong as I don't think it had the center. He did tell me how he'd got it but I was a bit p***** at the time

Social source share

Few more than that, at least into 4 figures.

Myself and Eddie went round to his house after a niter.

He went to sleep and we were like kids in a sweet shop. :thumbup:

Neil would confirm but I think he got Billy Jackson's Sassy stock of 400 from his apartment.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Italian LP of it too, ITWYW as Frank Beverly !!! & has "Love" also has Dee Dee Sharp - WKOL on it

Saint Martin Records - "Piu Ritmo Che Blues No 1"

also has The Intruders , Johnny Thunder , Vernon Harrell , Bobby Marchan & The Sandpebbles.

says original recordings from Calla & Gamble

No date on it tho and i have no idea when it,s from.

Nice minter too thumbup.gif

Ian.

Social source share

Oh & sold my Sassy WDJ for £450 last year (had this is just a B side) as B side whistling.gif

Seen a fair few of these on TT over the years, remember it selling for £3 or £4 regular, seen one recently too for sale but can't think where, sure it was £300/350 and it was MINT, don't think it,s that rare it needs auctioning but there again John has put up some ordinary stuff lately ohmy.gif

Lenny Curtis with a nice 3 pronged centre looks much better thumbup.gif

Ian.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Oh & sold my Sassy WDJ for £450 last year (had this is just a B side) as B side whistling.gif

Seen a fair few of these on TT over the years, remember it selling for £3 or £4 regular, seen one recently too for sale but can't think where, sure it was £300/350 and it was MINT, don't think it,s that rare it needs auctioning but there again John has put up some ordinary stuff lately ohmy.gif

Lenny Curtis with a nice 3 pronged centre looks much better thumbup.gif ,

Ian.

hatsoff2.gif PERSONALLY I RATE THIS DAMAGED LABEL RARER THAT THE GREECE JB ISSUE BUY #s RELEASED??ph34r.gif DAVE KIL.

post-13241-12669776955669_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Prefer this one myself, pity some t**t called bobby in the states got his felt pen on the label otherwise mint!! post-17800-12671016741583_thumb.jpgpost-17800-12671019764211_thumb.jpg

hatsoff2.gif THATS A GREAT DEMO, BUTCH HAS A GAMBLE COPY WITH SOLID CENTRE,NICE! - MICK SMITH GOT A OOTP COPY 2 WEEKS AGO HE WAS WELL PLEASED, LETS SEE HOW MUCH HE GETS FOR IT, HE SOLD A SOUL SOUND "OUT ON THE FLOOR" FOR £5 LAST WEEK! TOOK KIETH MINSHALL 30 YEARS TO GET ONE? STRANGE WORLD OF NORTHERN SOUL? ACTUALLY i THINK IT WAS "AT THE DISCOTEQUE" THAT IS REALY HARD,boxing.gif

ph34r.gif Dave

Social source share

Why do people charge so much for this? I sold mine for £175 a couple of months back and then I felt I'd overcharged. There sure are some stupid people around if they pay more than £200 for it. Dave's right, the Out Of The past one is rarer than the Sassy one!

Social source share

I've got a nice white demo with the good flip side that I'd sell. £450.

post-2021-12676993845672_thumb.jpgpost-2021-1267699434354_thumb.jpg

As PS says, there are alot of issues around but how rare is the Sassy w/d ?

That is one very attractive piece of vinyl Pottsy btw - bit out of my price bracket - but beautiful never the less!

ATB

Greg.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Why do people charge so much for this? I sold mine for £175 a couple of months back and then I felt I'd overcharged. There sure are some stupid people around if they pay more than £200 for it. Dave's right, the Out Of The past one is rarer than the Sassy one!

You have probably seen mine for sale to re-activate this thread. Only going on guide price, I'm open to offers. Thanks.

Social source share

Incidently Pete How rare is the Liberty Bell label Boot of this and was this the first boot of the track

Social source share

You have probably seen mine for sale to re-activate this thread. Only going on guide price, I'm open to offers. Thanks.

I swear I had no idea you had one for sale and neither did I reactivate the thread - it was actually seeing Pottsy asking £400 for one that made me comment on it

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What i find interesting about the Italian one is the use of strings on "Love Your Pain Goes Deep" which i don't think are on the U.S. pressing? :yes:

Looking back over this thread, nobody seemed to pick up on this - unless it's mentioned in another thread. The strings on "Love Your Pain Goes Deep" are only on the Gamble release - the Sassy one is sparser. Some people prefer it. Some don't. And it looks like some haven't actually noticed!!! :D

Social source share

Looking back over this thread, nobody seemed to pick up on this - unless it's mentioned in another thread. The strings on "Love Your Pain Goes Deep" are only on the Gamble release - the Sassy one is sparser. Some people prefer it. Some don't. And it looks like some haven't actually noticed!!! :hatsoff2:

The Greek one has the strings but to what extent I dont know as ive no Sassy copy to compare it too anymore.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone know different?

:sweatingbullets:

Another one!

65906_113036698760256_100001617784742_105930_2368824_n.jpg

See you at Paris Magic City Allnighter on October 30th

73124_113036888760237_100001617784742_105932_3089944_n.jpg

Bruno

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!