The Shag

Guest familytree

Guest familytree

i love dancin and wonder why we didnt dance together at wigan?... ..never saw anyone on the scene dance with a partner and i think we missed out looking at 'the shag'... that would have been a perfect dance for us.

its nice to express yourself on your own but would have been a pleasant change to get close?

do young kids get asked to dance these days or is it a dying art?

i say we start shagging befor its too late!innocent.gif

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I never went to blackpool mecca but heard there was a bit of mixed dancing went on there

yes when they started playing 70's stuff like original savannah band a few used to do swing type dancing (wayne and jackie were a couple who used to)quite a few at the ritz as well.

mark

Social source share

Cos when a tune came on and it's one of those, you all know, rush to the dancefloor jobs obliterating anything in your way, you certainly aint got time to find your partner, or even less "would you like to dance madam?", given that most records are round about 2:30 ish laugh.gif

Social source share

If someone manages to put on a beat ballad alldayer as mooted on another thread, I'd definitely be up for a smooch hour, but only if the top 20 crumpet are there whistling.gif

Some friends of mine from the South Carolina beach scene came over to visit a couple of years ago, and they danced (shagged?) together at Bisley. Raised a few eyebrows I can tell you.

Social source share

Debbie - The last thing i would want to do is, dance with a partner at a Soul event :no:

It was bad enough when i used to do competition Latin American & Ballroom, some of your partners were wanker.gif but i still had to smile! :thumbup: & its even worse for Lindy & Jive!

WHAT A BUNCH OF wanker.gifwanker.gif THEY WERE! :thumbup:

Just think about it!, my poor size 3 feet getting stamped on by some big size 9 :thumbup::(

PLEASE NO PARTNERS FOR NORTHERN SOUL! :lol:

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Guest proudlove

:laugh::laugh: tut tut Gene :no: xxx

Soooo--------------whats a good "Shagging" record,or put another way,whats a good record to"shag" to?????????????

Social source share

Soooo--------------whats a good "Shagging" record,or put another way,whats a good record to"shag" to?????????????

Here's one of my faves but only because I used to get really good soul 45s for the album "Dart Attack" that this track appeared on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwe73cMLXE0

They all have this kinda beat. Futures "Party time man" and Drifters "Pour your little heart out" were big too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUH-aZEK-58

Poppy disco really. Although they also played a lot of jump R&B stuff too.

ROD

PS Here's a link to Beach Music radio. Click on "Listen" on right hand side. Give you an idea.

https://www.beachshag.com/

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Guest proudlove

Here's one of my faves but only because I used to get really good soul 45s for the album "Dart Attack" that this track appeared on.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=Mwe73cMLXE0

They all have this kinda beat. Futures "Party time man" and Drifters "Pour your little heart out" were big too.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=DUH-aZEK-58

Poppy disco really. Although they also played a lot of jump R&B stuff too.

ROD

PS Here's a link to Beach Music radio. Click on "Listen" on right hand side. Give you an idea.

Cheers Rod,they all sound like background music for American Graffiti type films/era,sort of typical American 60s nothing music-----------if that makes sense?

Social source share

Guest proudlove

I would have thought that any thread about shagging should have been left alone by your goodself Steveohmy.gif

Tony

No comment mate---I'm mentioning nothing that could be held against me-------------hmmmm thats left me wide open to salacious comment,gossip,innuendo and rumour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

No comment mate---I'm mentioning nothing that could be held against me-------------hmmmm thats left me wide open to salacious comment,gossip,innuendo and rumour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, well.

I know where some of the bodies are buried, but, by no means all of 'em!!

laugh.gif

Take it easy bud

Tony

Social source share

best put up the dance for those who dont know what im talking about!

I was goin to say I didnt realise you had stopped shagging ! laugh.gif

but then looked at the link and realised it's quite nice in places (Im a softie deep down).

I did see a couple dancing together at April Brighouse, tho they weren't dancing like the couple in the clip, more like a dance off (where she won!!). Still it was good to watch "his & hers" on the dancefloor. Cant say I'd like it if everyone was "at it" on the dancefloor cos its quite easy to bump one person out of your space but bumping two requires a bit more hip action!!

Thanks for the Shag Lorna thumbsup.gif

Ali x

Social source share

i love dancin and wonder why we didnt dance together at wigan?... ..never saw anyone on the scene dance with a partner and i think we missed out looking at 'the shag'... that would have been a perfect dance for us.

its nice to express yourself on your own but would have been a pleasant change to get close?

'Cos I'm an ugly b*st*rd!

Social source share

Guest familytree

Cos when a tune came on and it's one of those, you all know, rush to the dancefloor jobs obliterating anything in your way, you certainly aint got time to find your partner, or even less "would you like to dance madam?", given that most records are round about 2:30 ish laugh.gif

howling at that vision!... yea see your point but if it were common place your dance partners would be established and you could just grab em or them you???

Social source share

Guest familytree

Most of the clowns I remember at Wigan with their sweat bands and bar towels hanging off their belts would have had a job getting a bird to talk to em, never mind dance with em!

funny that lol... but if a guy could dance it didnt matter too much what he looked like.. a good mover was a turn on! bit like a man into his music.. i like that rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest familytree

It may well be the the way to dance at do's in the futurewhistling.gif what with the slower tempos creeping in and average ages going up shhh.gif.

Rob

that shag looks exhausting!... if your doing it right that is..and can last till the end?

Social source share

Guest familytree

If someone manages to put on a beat ballad alldayer as mooted on another thread, I'd definitely be up for a smooch hour, but only if the top 20 crumpet are there whistling.gif

Some friends of mine from the South Carolina beach scene came over to visit a couple of years ago, and they danced (shagged?) together at Bisley. Raised a few eyebrows I can tell you.

i bet! but in a nice way i hope... in a sort of .."i will master that shag"??

Social source share

Guest familytree

i,m always up for a "shag"..wicked.gif..any takers..ph34r.gif

only if your sure you can do it properly?... dont wanna be having to teach you! rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest familytree

The Shag is a dance specifically for dancing couples. It can be done on ones own, but then it's known as The W*nk thumbup.gif

ha ha ...does that mean the scene is full of w*nkers then??

Social source share

Guest familytree

Debbie - The last thing i would want to do is, dance with a partner at a Soul event no.gif

It was bad enough when i used to do competition Latin American & Ballroom, some of your partners were wanker.gif but i still had to smile! frusty2.gif & its even worse for Lindy & Jive!

WHAT A BUNCH OF wanker.gifwanker.gif THEY WERE! laugh.gif

Just think about it!, my poor size 3 feet getting stamped on by some big size 9 ohmy.gifsad.gif

PLEASE NO PARTNERS FOR NORTHERN SOUL! laugh.gif

dont think you have anthing to worry about.. were too long in the tooth to embrace a new dance... unless you teach us please? lol x

Social source share

Guest familytree

When l used to have women 'back to my place'...Barry White,Alexander O'Neil & Sade seemed to do the trick!! thumbup.gif

woman as in more than one?? unsure.gif ... think you need to raise the tempo for a proper display?!

Social source share

Guest familytree

I was goin to say I didnt realise you had stopped shagging ! laugh.gif

but then looked at the link and realised it's quite nice in places (Im a softie deep down).

I did see a couple dancing together at April Brighouse, tho they weren't dancing like the couple in the clip, more like a dance off (where she won!!). Still it was good to watch "his & hers" on the dancefloor. Cant say I'd like it if everyone was "at it" on the dancefloor cos its quite easy to bump one person out of your space but bumping two requires a bit more hip action!!

Thanks for the Shag Lorna thumbsup.gif

Ali x

haha ali i cant say i ever really started to stop! (prefer a good read )lol... a dance off is good! any partner dancin is surely refreshing? i dont mean a bloody 'they shoot horses dont they' kinda night!.. just the odd couple here n there doin somethin special? shall we find partners at southport??? you first! x x

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

being a beach scene dance it looks like its based on the cormorant,which brings me to an old favourite

the common cormorant or shag, lays eggs inside a paper bag.

the reason you will see,no doubt,

it is to keep the lightning out.

but what these unobservant birds have not noticed is,

that herds of bears may come with buns,

and steal the bags to hold the crumbs.

dancing with birds? no chance!

Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwe73cMLXE0

ROD

This is a cover of The Blenders - don't fuck around with love.

Have posted it up before,cant find it so i'll post again if i see it. biggrin.gif

gallery_1986_2578_1054.jpg

Edited by ken
Social source share

This is a cover of The Blenders - don't fuck around with love.

Have posted it up before,cant find it so i'll post again if i see it. biggrin.gif

Here's the story behind that

The Blenders only release on Jay-Dee, in August 1953, consisted of the final two sides that had been recorded for Joe Davis back in March: "You'll Never Be Mine Again" and "Don't Play Around With Love." At that same session, Davis had them record a raunchier version (entitled "Don't Fuck Around With Love"), which he planned to send to disc jockeys as an under-the-table release. After this side found its way onto a Kelway release in 1971, Davis himself released the song (on his Davis label) in 1973.

ROD

Social source share

Here's the story behind that

The Blenders only release on Jay-Dee, in August 1953, consisted of the final two sides that had been recorded for Joe Davis back in March: “You'll Never Be Mine Again” and “Don't Play Around With Love.” At that same session, Davis had them record a raunchier version (entitled “Don't Fuck Around With Love”), which he planned to send to disc jockeys as an under-the-table release. After this side found its way onto a Kelway release in 1971, Davis himself released the song (on his Davis label) in 1973.

ROD

Nice one Rod,played it out before to great effect (dance floor rammed) no shaggerz though. unsure.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

quite strange really the anti vibes about two people dancing together, most of the music played at soul clubs is to do with the love felt between two people, and what a better way to show your feelings than dancing closely with someone you love. Well me and the other half always have at least one dance close together at any soul night, really cant see a problem with it.

what ever happened to romance?

Social source share

Guest familytree

'Kin 'ell, Lorna, you should have suggested it 34 years ago, when I was a bit more localohmy.gifrolleyes.gif

Paul

haha paul you only had to ask! lol.... 34 years ago god we are old!... hope your good and life is treating you kindly x

Social source share

Guest familytree

quite strange really the anti vibes about two people dancing together, most of the music played at soul clubs is to do with the love felt between two people, and what a better way to show your feelings than dancing closely with someone you love. Well me and the other half always have at least one dance close together at any soul night, really cant see a problem with it.

what ever happened to romance?

spot on! i cant see why not? ...anyway these couple dances can be exciting and very up beat, not tust talkin a smooch here! does anyone know when dancing alone became the norm? i know when i went to wigan at a mere 13 it was the first time i had seen it (and loved the concept by the way) but was it like that at the wheel/tourch? i didnt go so dont know.. who started it?

lovely to hear you and yours do it on the dance floor at least once a soul night! rolleyes.gif

good on ya! x

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

well bugger me , last night at Brighouse there was a couple dancing together to northern whistling.gif

Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert