• Replies 71
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Wow,

I go out for a day and what a response.

It has really made me think about my own tunes. The Intentions, Jimmy Ellis, Chimes etc are all tunes I have owned over the years.

I will pass on your suggestions to my pal. I am sure he will be pleased with such a positive response.

Thanks

Ion

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

THink there might be a previous topic on Soul Source about protest songs and the Vietnam War, maybe one of the Mods can find it.

I started the thread, if that's any help to the moderators in terms of linking it to this. Mind you, there's plenty of information to be going on with in this one.

Although it's not soul, or indeed music, there was also the record called 'Guess Who's Coming Home: Black Fighting Men Recorded Live in Vietnam', which might be of interest.

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

there appears to be a great many Vietnam related records. The only one I can add to this list would be La Shell & The Shellett - My soldier Boy on Eagle. ...two lovely sides that could not be more at odds with the events at hand.

Sadly alot of the records were complient with the war and not really protest songs. Many are accepting of the situation and just asking the girl to wait for him. It was a major them throughout the sixties and no wonder as guys from the ghetto were drafted to fight a war in a country that they had nver heard of until the war broke out, Some things don't change. except where are the protest songs today ????

Social source share

Guest Perception

The Creations-Just remember me-Globe -

Ann Sexton - Youve Been Gone Too Long -

TWO OF THE BETTER VIET SONGS IMHO

Creations is one of the best going away to war songs, related to Northern Soul, but I don't know how Ann Sexton fits in this subject?

Social source share

Post deleted containing an MP3 - reminder of the house rules:

Due to copyright issues posting or requesting mp3s on all forums (except if posted with sales ) is not allowed.

If you do wish to post/request a clip please do so via refosoul feature

Nick

Social source share

Sadly alot of the records were complient with the war and not really protest songs. Many are accepting of the situation and just asking the girl to wait for him. It was a major them throughout the sixties and no wonder as guys from the ghetto were drafted to fight a war in a country that they had nver heard of until the war broke out, Some things don't change. except where are the protest songs today ????

good call. Your right, Not so much a protest song but certainly highlights the impact of drafts on women at home.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Creations is one of the best going away to war songs, related to Northern Soul, but I don't know how Ann Sexton fits in this subject?

The Ann Sexton contains references to 'Jody' or 'Jodie'. This is a dismissive term used by soldiers on active service to refer to men who remain civilians back home in wartime. These Jodys were perceived as a threat to soldiers' relationships, having both the time and opportunity to pursue their wives and girlfriends at home. It includes the line "ain't no use in coming home, Jody's got your girl and gone".

I don't know the exact year that 'You've been gone too long' was released, but it would've been within the timeframe of the Vietnam War, so I presume that's what Ann's referring to in the song.

I'm straying off topic a bit now, but there's more info about 'Jody calls' in this link. Though it is Wikipedia, so *inserts disclaimer here* :thumbup:

Jody

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

BEAUFORT EXPRESS - Here I Come (vietnam song!)

SHEILA WILMA - Look At Your Soul (protest, ghetto)

ANTONIO CASTRO - W.E.L.F.A.R.E. (protest about poverty)

SOUL INJECTIONS - Stay Off The Moon (Protest about social conditions)

WALLY COCO - Message To Society (human condition protest)

LITTLE OSCAR - The Message (protest)

yes.gif

Social source share

Hi all,

A pal of mine is doing a PHD on the role of black music in the protest movement.

Tony Mason - Take Good Care and Emanuel Laskey - Peace Loving Man immediately come to mind but I know there are lots of other 'nam references.

Your help would be much appreciated!

All best

Ion

Hi I know of a couple of tracks by ray Williams , one of them is easier to pick up , on ALA records i think and the other is a rarer piece on Space records called " gonna get even " .

Also Walter Jackson on Okeh records , where have all the flowers gone .

Hope these are of help in your quest.

Regards Frank Norwich Backstreet.

P.S I will be playing the Ray Williams track at the next Rugby event in the free style room on the 14 th Nov.

Social source share

Ionny!

One thats always freaked me out - The Bitter and the Sweets - I won't have any babies for you B Side - P.O.W.

"Free the man who's brave to fight for the service of our country..."

Dunno if this is a ref to VETS incarcerated after the conflict or the many POW's who remained in Vietnamese jails after the war and operation homecoming:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/vietnam/trenches/mia.html

ATB B

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Not music, but spoken word LPs...

Guess Who's Coming Home - Black Fighting Men In Vietnam Narrated by Wallace Terry [1972] on the Motown subsidary label "Black Forum"

Why I Oppose The War In Vietnam - Martin Luther King JR [1970] also on Black Forum

Oops, Joe. Didn't realise you'd already posted the Wallace Terry.

Social source share

I had a conversation earlier this evening with a young bloke who is an 80s (mindless) Dance DJ. I won't bore you with the details but he mentioned a Tommy Tate record and in looking for it in Refosoul in the last half hour I came across Let Us Be Heard (see my last played).

As good a soulful protest song as you'll hear IMHO.

KTF.

Drew,

Edited by Drew3
Social source share

Been away a few days and just catching up on the threads, This is a nice one, read through and can't believe nobody has mentioned one of the best Northern Soul 'Protest' records ever discovered.

'We shall Overcome' - Fantastic Detroit, Curtis Mayfield inspired dancer, 'We've been standing, on the outside looking in....' great lyrics and one of the nicest double siders around from that period.

FLIP SIDE of MAGIC TONES 'I live the life I love'. thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Guest smigger

Original of that by The Emotions on Vardan.

"Don't forget that i love you" - Intentions on Phillips.

You are right, of course. ButI have to make do with the poor mans version.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert