Gladys Knight On Later With Jools Holland

Dean

just watchin' Later with Jools Holland, pleasure to see the wonderful Gladys Knight looking so well and performing so great. Something of the show's description on t'web made me smile tho:

"Legendary 'Empress of Soul' Gladys Knight, whose career spans 50 years and has taken in stints at Motown, Buddah, an array of Grammy Awards and owning a chain of chicken and waffle restaurants, is on the show to perform a number or two from her stellar back catalogue."

Anyone been in one of her chicken and waffle restaurants?

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

just watchin' Later with Jools Holland, pleasure to see the wonderful Gladys Knight looking so well and performing so great. Something of the show's description on t'web made me smile tho:

"Legendary 'Empress of Soul' Gladys Knight, whose career spans 50 years and has taken in stints at Motown, Buddah, an array of Grammy Awards and owning a chain of chicken and waffle restaurants, is on the show to perform a number or two from her stellar back catalogue."

Anyone been in one of her chicken and waffle restaurants?

Just seen it Dean, no not been in one of her restaurants, but I can waffle for England anyway, absolute pro, Jools put her on the spot, collected herself, then delivered to send shivers down the spine, one word, AWESOME, and that isn,t a nostalgic reaction, just the plain as you see it truth.

Kev

Social source share

Seeing her at Sheffield Soon, can't wait.

Roger

Me and my sister Julie were planning a trip to Las Vegas to see her & she turned up at the Albert Hall. Mid way through her set, (and a diva she most certainly is,) I began welling up & crying. I turned to my sister thinking I'd better keep an eye on her, she was blubbering as well. Everyone of our friends were looking concerned at the emotional state we were in. No probs. Only Gladys Knight & The Pips could have done it that night. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Truly passionately soulful.

Kev

Social source share

Sho' thing.

What a guy!

Woo Hoo!

Leavin' Leavin' Leavin' on that Midnight Train To Georgia...

Home is where the heart is.....

Taste of Bitter Love....

Try to remember(The Way we were).......

I feel a song in my heart.......

Stepping closer to your heart............

Don't run around.........

Every beat of my heart..........

blah blah bloody blah blah......

this is just one of the reasonswhy soul music is so good.smile.gif

Kev

Woo Hoo!

thumbup.gif

Social source share

Sho' thing.

What a guy!

Woo Hoo!

Leavin' Leavin' Leavin' on that Midnight Train To Georgia...

Woo Hoo!

thumbup.gif

Heard a show on radio 4 last week about background singers, Paul Jones (respect due)good.gif was disecting the vocal arrangement of Midnite Train with some other guy.Quite enlitening to hear all the points the Pips came in or not given thier technical terms Cannon, refrain echo etc., to sum it up both presenters gave it top marks and so they should!

Diva ? that didn't sound like no Diva chortling away on Steve Wrights show on Thursday

John

Social source share

Just seen it Dean, no not been in one of her restaurants, but I can waffle for England anyway, absolute pro, Jools put her on the spot, collected herself, then delivered to send shivers down the spine, one word, AWESOME, and that isn,t a nostalgic reaction, just the plain as you see it truth.

Kev

Arguably the first lady of soul imhothumbup.gif

Went to vegas and found out she was resident at flamingo hotel at that particular time...tried to book tickets for the show,only to find out from ticket office "miss Knight is outta town,on vacation"angry.gif

wouldnt mind but she lives in Vegas too...just our luck...ended up seeing wifes 2nd choice ..Tom bloody Jonesbiggrin.gif

I compiled a cd for my scooter boy neighbour ,of all the lesser known sounds she made.

surpirising how many she made that have made it onto the uk soul scenethumbsup.gif

Social source share

she did the new year special of jools holland a couple of years ago and to be honest it wasn't very good to me.

I was listeniong wanting to hear her how she would have sounded at her peak and it was a big dissapointment.

I hope she's imporved now for those that are going to see her.

i'd rather listen to the records recorded when these people were at their peak.

Social source share

she did the new year special of jools holland a couple of years ago and to be honest it wasn't very good to me.

I was listeniong wanting to hear her how she would have sounded at her peak and it was a big dissapointment.

I hope she's imporved now for those that are going to see her.

i'd rather listen to the records recorded when these people were at their peak.

I watched her on 'Later' and was impressed as i thought i would be. i also saw Streisand on JR show and confirmed what ive always thought. . Gladys Knight nails tunes 100%, Streisand does'nt.

Gladys Knight is and always will be my fave vocalist good.gif

Social source share

I RECKON SHE#S IN THE ALL TIME TOP 5 FEMALE VOCALISTS ON THE PLANET STILL,LAST NIGHTS BRIEF PERFORMANCE WAS GREAT- CAN'T HELP WONDERING WHAT SHE MADE OF THE OTHER ACTS ON THE SHOW ! GOOD GRIEF I CAN LISTEN TO MOST THINGS BUT.........

Here, here Andy, but how intimidated must that group who followed her have been, the voice and the delivery were there for all to see and here, and then the genuine rapturous applause, and she was only getting warmed up, they must have thought how the fook to we follow that.

Kev

Social source share

Here, here Andy, but how intimidated must that group who followed her have been, the voice and the delivery were there for all to see and here, and then the genuine rapturous applause, and she was only getting warmed up, they must have thought how the fook to we follow that.

Kev

yES KEV ,FUNNY MY GOOD LADY LIKES SOUL BUT KINDA TAKES IT OR LEAVES IT BUT SHE COMMENTED ON HOW THAT LADY WHO GAVE THEM ALL AT LEAST 30 YEARS MADE EM ALL LOOK REALLY POOR.MIND YOU I PUT A DVD WITH AL GREEN'S LIVE PERFORMANCES FROM THE EARLY 70'S AND SHE WAS ASTOUNDED JUST HOW GOOD HE IS LIVE AGAIN IN THE TOP 5 VOCALISTS TRULY FANTASTIC RANGE !

Social source share

prehaps it was somebody else on the new year show a couple of years ago in fact it must have been innocent.gif this is a good performance.

Wasn't it Martha Reeves on the New Year show a couple of years back.....??

Sadly she'd completely lost it...could hardly find let alone hold a note....

I'm just about to check iPlayer, 'cos I missed the show last night....a little taster befopre we see her live in Nottingham in a few days....can't wait, IMO she has given more, and more consistently than any other female artist....sorry Aretha

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

Wasn't it Martha Reeves on the New Year show a couple of years back.....??

Sadly she'd completely lost it...could hardly find let alone hold a note....

I'm just about to check iPlayer, 'cos I missed the show last night....a little taster befopre we see her live in Nottingham in a few days....can't wait, IMO she has given more, and more consistently than any other female artist....sorry Aretha

yes I think it was martha on the new year show. I've just dropped a clanger there getting them mixed up..... king.gif

it was martha who was realy bad.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

What a great lady!

In the first little bit she did I think she said that GK and the Pips did backing vocals on Marvin Gaye's - You (Tamla 54160/TMG 640).

Good excuse to give it an airing!!

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Saw her in Vegas a few years ago.

Absolutely incredible.

Off to see her in Notts next weekend.

Can't wait!

It may be the Farewell tour, but Gladys is forever!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Bubba 4ever & can that man sing & dance? Yoo betya!

Absolutely Amazing Night At Sheffield Arena, Just Arrived Home.

Gladys Knight, Bubba, The Whole Show Incredible thumbup.gif

Social source share

I actually have been to one of her restaurants, Gladys and Ron's - it's in Atlanta on Peachtree St. It was close to our hotel and we stumbled over it whilst there for an Aretha concert.

It was arguably the Worst meal I've had in the states, fried chicken was like cardboard - And it's a dry resturaunt - no Booze !!

alan

Social source share

Absolutely Amazing Night At Sheffield Arena, Just Arrived Home.

Gladys Knight, Bubba, The Whole Show Incredible :thumbsup:

Agree Roger,

INCREDIBLE is the word!

As was Tito Jackson (surprisingly).

We saw her at Notts on Sunday (didn't realise you were there Cliff!).

An absolute MUST SEE!

Only Cardiff & Aberdeen left on the Tour.

The whole thing blew me away. Gladys has not lost a note of her amazing voice. Backing and Band were out of this world. Tito did some real Raw & Dirty as Fook Blues with a superb 8 piece Band + a Jacksons tribute with three of the Foxiest Females ever with voices from heaven! Am still completely aghast at how good they were! Gladys, though, is in a total league of her own. But her backing group were also SENSATIONAL! Did a complete life story on stage - Letter Full Of Tears - Every Beat Of My Heart - Some really GREAT Motown material - "If I Was Your Woman" sounded just like the recording! Highlight was she did a couple of minutes of "Love Don't Love Nobody"... fooking superb!

Anyone not been to see her?

FFS be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean

Social source share

Agree Roger,

INCREDIBLE is the word!

An absolute MUST SEE!

The whole thing blew me away. Gladys has not lost a note of her amazing voice. Backing and Band were out of this world. Tito did some real Raw & Dirty as Fook Blues with a superb 8 piece Band + a Jacksons tribute with three of the Foxiest Females ever with voices from heaven! Am still completely aghast at how good they were! Gladys, though, is in a total league of her own. But her backing group were also SENSATIONAL! Did a complete life story on stage - Letter Full Of Tears - Every Beat Of My Heart - Some really GREAT Motown material - "If I Was Your Woman" sounded just like the recording! Highlight was she did a couple of minutes of "Love Don't Love Nobody"... fooking superb!

Sean

Hi Sean

Still Buzzing from last night, Agree regarding Tito & Band.

We would go back to see the whole show all over again in an Instant if time allowed.

Anyone who can still make this show, should. They won't be dissapointed.

as Sean says

"An absolute MUST SEE!"
Social source share

Agree Roger,

INCREDIBLE is the word!

An absolute MUST SEE!

Sean

You've summed it up pretty well....couldn't help the goosebumps when she opened with Letter Full Of Tears and Every Beat Of My Heart...absolutely awesome....the Motown songs she did were incredible...and you're right, If I Was Your Woman was just gorgeous....:thumbup:

The general consensus of opinion from the Lorraine's birthday night out ensemble was Gladys can still deliver knockout vocals, and an awesome show....but maybe the Motown tribute medley could have been made up of her recordings rather than Tops, Supremes, Temps, and Mary Wells...otherwise a 5 star show...or maybe 6 for the Bubba fun....:thumbup:

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

You've summed it up pretty well....couldn't help the goosebumps when she opened with Letter Full Of Tears and Every Beat Of My Heart...absolutely awesome....the Motown songs she did were incredible...and you're right, If I Was Your Woman was just gorgeous....:thumbup:

The general consensus of opinion from the Lorraine's birthday night out ensemble was Gladys can still deliver knockout vocals, and an awesome show....but maybe the Motown tribute medley could have been made up of her recordings rather than Tops, Supremes, Temps, and Mary Wells...otherwise a 5 star show...or maybe 6 for the Bubba fun....:thumbup:

Agree with you there mate..She has done enough material over the years to not to resort to an almost "Seaside Special" montage and sing other peoples songs..Fantastic voice and no question but song choice ?????

To be honest, to see Frank dressed up was worth the admission alone..:laugh:

Social source share

Agree with you there mate..She has done enough material over the years to not to resort to an almost "Seaside Special" montage and sing other peoples songs..Fantastic voice and no question but song choice ?????

To be honest, to see Frank dressed up was worth the admission alone..:laugh:

Aww stop moaning, that is my job on here, and I may have to go on strike if you keep up your unauthorised taking of my responsibilities (© Arthur Scargill 1984). I thought she was fu***g fantastic, best vocals since Womack live, and even better than Aretha, even the schmaltzy Bond song she sang her metaphorical bollocks off, although I did choose that moment to go to the bar admittedly. (some of us having to go to a bar and buy our drinks as we werent invited to any corporate hospitality box, not that I am bitter!!)

I just loved it from the intro on, the backing singers for the opening numbers and the fact she stuck to a completely authentic doo wop style (although she did claim her first record as 61 which I thought was a little fib no?)just had me purring like a prize Siamese. The medley was actually one of my favourite bits, especially the Spinners and Teddy P bit, showed this woman was a soul singer at top of her game, magnificent.

Top top singer, makes you remember what it was all about, or at least should be.

The Tito singers could certainly sing, and really did the material justice, did think some of his comments were a bit surreal and even more so introducing his mother and Jackie Jackson just sitting in the normal seats but a million miles away from each other, anyone catch the name of the singers?

Social source share

The Tito singers could certainly sing, and really did the material justice, did think some of his comments were a bit surreal and even more so introducing his mother and Jackie Jackson just sitting in the normal seats but a million miles away from each other, anyone catch the name of the singers?

The singers names are in the programme, Jock whistling.gif

:sleep3:

Glad you enjoyed it and took from it what I did mate.

A really Soulful performance overall.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Aww stop moaning, that is my job on here, and I may have to go on strike if you keep up your unauthorised taking of my responsibilities (© Arthur Scargill 1984). I thought she was fu***g fantastic, best vocals since Womack live, and even better than Aretha, even the schmaltzy Bond song she sang her metaphorical bollocks off, although I did choose that moment to go to the bar admittedly. (some of us having to go to a bar and buy our drinks as we werent invited to any corporate hospitality box, not that I am bitter!!)

I just loved it from the intro on, the backing singers for the opening numbers and the fact she stuck to a completely authentic doo wop style (although she did claim her first record as 61 which I thought was a little fib no?)just had me purring like a prize Siamese. The medley was actually one of my favourite bits, especially the Spinners and Teddy P bit, showed this woman was a soul singer at top of her game, magnificent.

Top top singer, makes you remember what it was all about, or at least should be.

Well you'd not moaned for a while so I thought I'd help you out..whistling.gif but again I think her voice was just perfect and the backing singers did the doo too...thumbsup.gif You missed something out. Not only did we not have to go to the bar, but were fed pizza and wedges..tongue.gif

Social source share

Well you'd not moaned for a while so I thought I'd help you out..whistling.gif but again I think her voice was just perfect and the backing singers did the doo too...thumbsup.gif You missed something out. Not only did we not have to go to the bar, but were fed pizza and wedges..tongue.gif

....and chocolate cake ...yes.giftongue.gif

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Atlanta Olympics opening ceremony, Gladys sings 'Georgia on my mind' , the stadium goes dark and she slowly rises out of a hole in the stage it is unbelievably beautiful and moving and so poignant.

It is on you tube.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert