Ovo Definition

I've always thought the point was whether it was scheduled for release. In that case the UK 60's labels are authentic as they were legitimate UK releases. If something is issued due to popular demand ie James Fountain on Cream that is a reissue. A good example is US Prelude. Some of the tracks were released on UK Epic as scheduled releases. When they became popular some were reissued on Unidisc or whatever. They again are reissues and not OVO (By the way what about OSO for styrene). Therefore Grapevine is a reissue label and not UK first releases. Some DJs and collectors do move the goalposts sometimes but that is for their, and promoters consciences.

Richard

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The ONLY Original Vinyl are the promo copies distributed to Radio Stations/DJs to coincide with the records release. So all you 'DJ's' with those nasty yellow/black/red/blue et al stockers......stop waffling on like a bunch of precious 'dahlinks' and start collecting the real thing! laugh.gifbiggrin.gifthumbsup.gif

Not if there weren't any promo copies to begin with.............shades.gif

Social source share

Well, we see different. But two rather different subjects more like. I tried to explain what I'd define as OVO, i.e. what sort of records should be played at venues. I see your post in the way, that you explain your view on "first legit issues vs. reissues".

Anyway, maybe we can get the topic a bit more interesting for everybody else by throwing in some unrelated, unprovoked insults? I'll start with "you disagree with me? wanker.gif "

wink.gif

:lol::lol:

Original vinyl can mean only one thing. The first legal issue, thus whether it be an LP track, or a 45, that's the original vinyl, irregardless of it's country of origin.

If a track was issued on the UK Grapevine label for the first time, ie it was previously unreleased, that can legitimately lay claim to being the original vinyl. By the same token, if the track is a UK issue of a track that was previously issued in the States, it's a UK reissue (I know that some people would claim that it is the original UK issue, but it's still not the original issue if it's already been issued somewhere else)

It doesn't matter what label you are talking about though, the clue is in the word 'original'. there cannot be two original vinyl issues because by simple deduction, if one follows the other, only one is original.

The only distinction I would make from this is between LP tracks and 45s. Given this as a scenario:

Group XXX release a single in January. It becomes a huge hit in February. Record company YYY decide to release an album as quickly as possible in March, to cash in on group XXX's current popularity. Group XXX release a follow up single in May, the flip side of the single is a track they recorded for the album, and it is now, forty years later, the indemand track by group XXX.

So, because the single was released after the album, technically, this makes the album the original vinyl ! So, I would say that if a track is LP only, that has to be the original vinyl, but if a track is on an LP, and released as a 45 (at, or around the same time as the LP), the 45 is the original vinyl as far as we, in our enclosed little world of NS, are concerned.

Go on then, argue about that laugh.giflaugh.gifwicked.gif

Dave 'Bored at lunchtime' Rimmer

Sorry can't go with that one :no: (though I should probably take more note of the 'bored at lunchtime' :D ) But in a most cases where a song appears on 45 & LP...the 45 is pulled from the LP which was issued first...so the LP is the original in most cases..not just with unreleased tracks!

:D

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif You sussed me ! Mind you I gave the clue in the signature to my original post....Dave 'Bored at lunchtime' Rimmer. I thought the album bit was especially good !

I stand by what I said in the first sentence though, original vinyl has only one meaning, and that is the first legal issue on vinyl irregardless of label or country of origin.

But...........

There again, what about Frank Wilson ? Never legally issued in the States, so does that mean that the UK copy is the original vinyl ? And if the UK release is the original vinyl, what status does that mean the copies on Soul have ? g.gif

:huh: Completely worthless...which means i wasted 20 odd grand :thumbup::D

The ONLY Original Vinyl are the promo copies distributed to Radio Stations/DJs to coincide with the records release. So all you 'DJ's' with those nasty yellow/black/red/blue et al stockers......stop waffling on like a bunch of precious 'dahlinks' and start collecting the real thing! :lol::D:thumbup:

:g::D But then again?......

One things for sure though...this has to be the most pleasent & light hearted take on this thread ever!! :yes: Are we mellowing with old age? :D

Or will there be a kick in the tail ??? :D:D

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

what about

Delegates of Soul - I`ll come running back

or the

Charlie Mintz version

can the former be played out as its not the original so ive been told :chinstroke:

Social source share

Jock I wasnot looking for a Friday Ruck - I swear on my Grandmothers soul!

I was hoping for simple answers but being stupid as I am that was too much to ask But i thank everyone for their contributions and yes I agree the thread hasnt had any real nastiness which has been unusual for a question like this one!

This is my definition

OVO is the first original issue or demo either by Local label or national label

Other labels who pick it up to promote nationally is acceptable within say 2-3 year period but the above first line is the preferred option.

Grapevine records or the like are only acceptable if The tune was not issued on any format.

Original Lps are fine even if the tune was issued on 45 at the time as sometimes you dont know which came first.

Original Acetates - Not reproduced/copied are fine

Uk issued 45s specifically for the Northern scene are not acceptable eg Disco demand or even 70s Capitol uk issues of original 60s US releases

This would also include the uk London/brunswick 70s issued 45s

Acetates/ Vinyl made from Cds - Not acceptable

So thats where I see it- and in a couple of days will trawl through all the comments and try to formulate a consensus definition for the other site I agreed to post it on

ATB Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert