Motown 'b' Sides

Last Sunday I bought a copy of Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Forget Me Not (TMG 762), for the princely some of 30p at Ascot car boot sale.

After returning home I was pleasantly surprised when I played the B side and discovered, I Gotta Let You Go.

Another B side that I prefer to the A side is Marv Johnson's You Got The Love I Love, being on the other side of I'll Pick A Rose (TMG 680) :thumbsup:

Are there any Tamla Motown records, where you prefer the B side as opposed to the A side, if so which ones?

Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Last Sunday I bought a copy of Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Forget Me Not (TMG 762), for the princely some of 30p at Ascot car boot sale.

After returning home I was pleasantly surprised when I played the B side and discovered, I Gotta Let You Go.

Another B side that I prefer to the A side is Marv Johnson's You Got The Love I Love, being on the other side of I'll Pick A Rose (TMG 680) :thumbsup:

Are there any Tamla Motown records, where you prefer the B side as opposed to the A side, if so which ones?

link

HI, TOO MANY GOOD MOTOWN B-SIDES TO CHOOSE ONE, BUT I GOTTA LET YOU GO IS A GREAT TRACK AND WAS A REALLY BIG OLDIE AT YATE ALL NIGHTER, LATE 70s. HAPPY HUNTING!!

ALAN.

Social source share

Guest remus

link

Diana Ross & the Supremes for "Youve been so wonderful to me" which is the flip to "Some things you never get used to"

Social source share

HI, TOO MANY GOOD MOTOWN B-SIDES TO CHOOSE ONE, BUT I GOTTA LET YOU GO IS A GREAT TRACK AND WAS A REALLY BIG OLDIE AT YATE ALL NIGHTER, LATE 70s. HAPPY HUNTING!!

ALAN.

link

:D

The biggest rollover was an excellent record by Stevie Wonder called

I Dont Know Why I Love You,

where the b side got flipped due to airplay by naff Radio 1 djs

and up popped My Cherie Amour a nice pop tune,

Also on the original British J Ruffin release of "Brokenhearted" was an excellent "Baby Ive Got it" 4 Tops b side of Standin in the Shadows, called "Since youve been Gone",

Jr Walker b side of "Come See About Me" the haunting "Sweet soul"

the list is endless just read the discography in Sharon Davis Guiness book

"Motown the History"

daunting record selection of brilliant b sides

:thumbsup:

Social source share

link

"I Gotta Let You Go" was only a B side in the UK, in the US it was an A side with "You're The Loser Now" on it's flip. There's loads of great Motown flips, if you like late 70's stuff check out the Fifth Dimension "Slipping Into Something New" which is on the flip of "You Are The Reason (I Feel Like Dancing)". A couple of nice 60's flips are "I Couldn't Cry If I Wanted To" The Temptations and Marvin's "When I Had Your Love". and sticking with Marvin Gaye the flip to the UK issue of "Grapevine" has "Need Somebody" which I don't think got issued on a 45 anywhere else. Quite a lot of the UK Tamla Motown releases had different or unique B sides to the US issues, Gladys Knight's "No One Could Love You More" is a prime example of that. I suppose the moral is always play both sides.

Frank Driscoll

Social source share

Not sure if its the flip to (SOUL) 'what does it take', or 'take me girl, im ready' Jnr Walker, but the track RIGHT ON BROTHERS AND SISTERS is made for a Northern Soul dancefloor, and should get played.

Still only a fiver record I think, but it is brill.

Another quality track I think is a (SOUL) b side, is 'Your love is amazing', Shorty Long. Magic.

Ed

Social source share

Flips of uk TM releases which float my boat include Running Back and Forth Edwin Starr flip of Time, and Lets Go Somewhere R Dean Taylor flip to Ghost in My House and alos All For You by Earl Van Dyke the flip of 6X6

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Try flipping martha reeves, honey chile, you will find the fantastic!!!!!!!!! show me the way,an uptempo dancer. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

the b side of love child by diana ross and the supremes is astounding...called " will this be the day "

Davie

Social source share

Three cheapies I played yesterday with brilliant B sides.

Theres no love left - Isley Brothers - flip to This old heart of mine.

Where did you go? - Four Tops - Flip to Ask the lonely.

Baby Ive got it - Jimmy Ruffin - Flip to What becomes of the broken hearted.

Why when love is gone - Isley Brothers - flip to Take me in your arms.

:yes:

Social source share

Another B side that I prefer to the A side is Marv Johnson's You Got The Love I Love, being on the other side of I'll Pick A Rose (TMG 680) :yes:

link

The wealth of quality within the Gordy empire during the 60's amazes me still, Motown 'B' sides have provided me with many favorites over the years. A few I don't think already mentioned include............

"Just Too Much To Hope For" ("This Old Heart Of Mine") Tammi Terrell

"Hold Me Oh My Darling" ("Cant Believe Yo Love Me") Tammi Terrell

"Baby Dontcha Worry" (" Come On And See Me") Tammi Terrell

"I've Got To Find It" ("You Made Me So Very Happy") Brenda Holloway

"Ill Be Available" ("Operator") Brenda Holloway

"Save Me" ("Come Round Here") The Miracles

"Happy Landing" ("You Really Got A Hold On Me") Miracles

"Your Cheating Way" ("Danger Heartbreak Ahead") Marvelettes

"I Want A Guy" ("Twistin Postman") Marvelettes

"Goddess Of Love" ("He's A Good Guy") Marvelettes

"Keep Off No Trespassing" ("Here I Am Baby") Marvelettes

"All Because I Love You" (" Behind A Painted Smile") Isley Bros

"Who Could Ever Doubt My Love" ("Take Some Time Out For Love") Isley Bros

"One Way Out" ("Love Bug Leave My heart Alone") Vandellas

"Without You" ("Sweet Darling") Vandellas

"Another Train Coming" ("Just Loving You") Kim Weston

"Blackmail" ("Oh I Been Blessed") Bobby Taylor

"If You Love Her" ("I Am Your Man") Bobby Taylor

"Wonderful Baby" ("If I Were A Carpenter") Four Tops

"Since You Been Gone" ("Standing In Shadows Of Love") Four Tops

"Dont Bring Back Memories" ("What Is A Man") Four Tops

"Where Did You Go" ("Ask The Lonely") Four Tops

"Hey Diddle Diddle" ("Little Darling") Marvin Gaye

"It Hurt Me Too" ("Stubborn Kind of Fellow") Marvin Gaye

"Taking My Time" ("Soldiers Plea") Marvin Gaye

"When I Had Your Love" ("One More Heartache") Marvin Gaye

"I Want You Round" ("What Good Am I Without You") Marvin & KIm

"Everybody Needs Love" ("Ill Say Forever") Jimmy Ruffin

"How Can I Say Im Sorry" (" As Long As There Is LOVE") Jimmy Ruffin

"I Want Her Love" ("Dont You Miss Me A Little Bit Baby") Jimmy Ruffin

"If My Heart Could Tell The Story" ("Way Over There") Edwin Starr

"Stepping Closer To Your Heart" ("Just Walk In My Shoes") Gladys Knight

"Im Giving You Your Freedom" ("Run Run Run") Supremes

"Goin Down For The Third Time" ("Reflections") Supremes

Steve

Social source share

Guest remus

The other side of the Spinners "Truly Yours," is "Where is that girl," & is well worth a listen.

link

Both tracks on their LP, whole LP top notch :rolleyes:

Social source share

Two of my favourite motown ballad b-sides:

WESTON, KIM

Take Me In Your Arms/Don't Compare Me With Her

GORDY 7046

HOLLAND, EDDIE

Candy To Me/If You Want My Love

MOTOWN 1063

Edited by noss
Social source share

Nope - on my copy "Honey Chile" is marked as TMG 636 A, "Show Me The Way" (a popular Clowne spin by the way) as TMG 636 B.

link

:rolleyes:

Clowne now there is a reminder

Coop ballroom upstairs late 60's

played a few there then moved to Balborough School hall

after a riot,

good old days

spun a brilliant double b side another JR Walker

Anyway you wanna/Pucker up Buttercup

Contours First i look at the purse and Determination

memories

:yes:whistling.gif

Social source share

sticking with Marvin Gaye the flip to the UK issue of "Grapevine" has "Need Somebody" which I don't think got issued on a 45 anywhere else. Frank Driscoll

link

dont thinkk it did get anopther 45 release. And i could be wrong here but rumoured this was cobvered up about 5 years ago (though probably not for long!). great tune :rolleyes:

Social source share

Where did you go? - Four Tops - Flip to Ask the lonely.

Why when love is gone - Isley Brothers - flip to Take me in your arms.

:rolleyes:

link

fout tops - two great sides.

but i am lost now, iasley bros i bought for the 'way when love is gone side' never noticed what side is the A or B. In fact that is true for most stuff i get...

Social source share

Another B side that I prefer to the A side is Marv Johnson's You Got The Love I Love, being on the other side of I'll Pick A Rose (TMG 680) :rolleyes:

link

HI, TRY THIS : SHORTY LONG - B-SIDE TO CHANTILLY LACE IS - YOUR LOVE IS AMAZING - GREAT TRACK. ( ON THE BRITISH ISSUE ).

ALAN.

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Spinners - I Just Can't Help But Feel The Pain flip of Bad Bad Weather - Sounds like an unreleased track!

link

:unsure:

Brilliant Dancer

dont get played enough

:D

soppiest b side for me

was "Angie Girl" b side of For once in my life

Stevie Wonder

used to slap this on in my Sutton in Ashfield days as a last record aaaaaaah

:D:D:D

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Another B side that I prefer to the A side is Marv Johnson's You Got The Love I Love, being on the other side of I'll Pick A Rose (TMG 680) :unsure:

link

Ahem, may I recommend the series on Motown called Soul Satisfaction.........Volumes 2, 3 & 4 are based entirely on B sides and album tracks - and there's a new one coming out in November..... :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Ahem, may I recommend the series on Motown called Soul Satisfaction.........Volumes 2, 3 & 4 are based entirely on B sides and album tracks - and there's a new one coming out in November..... :rolleyes: Jo

link

I'll vouch for the quality of the tracks on these CD's . they are played regularly on reflections on radiomagnetic. Last Saturday The Four Tops I'm Grateful caused a flurry of e mails. Originally from their Second Album and played off Soul Satisfaction 4.

FrankM

Social source share

Guest smoothwasson
:) my fave b side on motown was the b to aint no mountain high enough, and for the life of me i cant remember what it is called..any idea
Social source share

Guest smoothwasson

my fave b side on motown was the b to aint no mountain high enough, and for the life of me i cant remember what it is called..any idea

Social source share

Thanks to Martin (RBman) for pinpointing this thread.

Look, if you like your Motown both classic and rare get your asses down to our monthly Motown bash where you'll hear all of the a and b sides listed in above. We're virtually the only regular Motown night in the UK and get a very friendly and appreciative crowd of soul fans attending. 'Nuff said', here are some of my favourite favourite 'b' sides. i've put the numbers for the british releases.

Four tops 'Can't seem to get you out of my mind'. Haunting and b side to 'Do what you gottaa do' 710

Supremes 'You've been so wonderful to me'. B side of 'Some things you never get used to'. Stunning double sider that rarely gets played 662

Barbara Randolph 'You got me hurting all over'. B to the classic 'I got a feeling' and in my humble opinion one of the most spine tingling records ever made. 628

Supremes 'Going down for the third time'. B side heaven and I think the best record Diana and the girls ever produced. A side 'Reflections' number 616

Loads more that I could have put down.

See ya

Warren Boogaloo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert