barney

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Think this question deserves a little thought Barney.If your Dancing your being entertained so it follows that the fuller the dancefloor the more people are getting entertained.However i've seen full dancefloors dancing to crap records that are defo not entertaining me.Think it is the Duty of any Northern Soul DJ to educate by slipping an unknown,underplayed,or long forgotten tune onto the slip mat.All the great spinners have introduced new sounds to us and all the crap Djs just play the safe same olds over and over again.Think the DJ himself can make it entertaining by injecting enthusiasm in the way Sean Chapman does. This way sometimes even the regular plays can come across better. One thing is certain DJs can make or break a night and over the years i've seen it go both ways

Cheers PATTO

Social source share

I'm surprised promoters haven't replaced DJs with jukeboxes.

Instead of paying money to DJs, you could earn loads of money from a jukebox. At 20p a selection you could earn as much as £4 per hour!

And a jukebox won't ask you to buy it a few drinks or put it up in a posh hotel for the night.

It's basic common sense.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

is it to entertain ?

is it to educate ?

is it to get people on the dancefloor ?

which is the most important

are there any other reasons

simple questions what do you say

The most important reason for having a DJ and not just sticking on a CD is because every DJ is, or should be, different and every spot they do should be different from every other spot on the same bill. Every DJ has a collection of sounds different from the next DJ, decides to play a mix of around 25 in an hour, which might change every minute they are on, from a box of 150 say, and their box is different from the next guy's box and so on.

Variety, originality, inventiveness and a personal style from a personalised playbox, that's what's entertaining and educating for me and what will get me on the floor. Give me a human being behind the decks any day of the week.

Social source share

The most important reason for having a DJ and not just sticking on a CD is because every DJ is, or should be, different and every spot they do should be different from every other spot on the same bill. Every DJ has a collection of sounds different from the next DJ, decides to play a mix of around 25 in an hour, which might change every minute they are on, from a box of 150 say, and their box is different from the next guy's box and so on.

Variety, originality, inventiveness and a personal style from a personalised playbox, that's what's entertaining and educating for me and what will get me on the floor. Give me a human being behind the decks any day of the week.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

as a dj i always try to be at a venue when it starts so i can listen to whats being played and observe the dance floor reaction this will then influence what i play later, my pet hate is dj's that turn up 5 minutes before thier spot and play sounds that have already been played :lol: sorry i did'nt answer your question :lol:

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Think this question deserves a little thought Barney.If your Dancing your being entertained so it follows that the fuller the dancefloor the more people are getting entertained.However i've seen full dancefloors dancing to crap records that are defo not entertaining me.Think it is the Duty of any Northern Soul DJ to educate by slipping an unknown,underplayed,or long forgotten tune onto the slip mat.All the great spinners have introduced new sounds to us and all the crap Djs just play the safe same olds over and over again.Think the DJ himself can make it entertaining by injecting enthusiasm in the way Sean Chapman does. This way sometimes even the regular plays can come across better. One thing is certain DJs can make or break a night and over the years i've seen it go both ways

Cheers PATTO

thanks mate thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Instead of paying money to DJs, you could earn loads of money from a jukebox. At 20p a selection you could earn as much as £4 per hour!

And a jukebox won't ask you to buy it a few drinks or put it up in a posh hotel for the night.

It's basic common sense.

Checkerboard squares all-night then.god help us the day that happens,no one playing other stuff same old tripe.dead in the water within 12 months.

Social source share

It's basic common sense.

Replace dj's with jukeboxes????.What and give someone another moan??."Don't go there,they've got a jukebox full of boots".

£4 an hour from the jukebox?.Most punters would sit all night waiting for someone else to make the selections.whistling .Just like they sit all night with one coke.:wicked:

Most dj's never went to dj school anyway.

Just record monkey's with a mike. :yes: .

Careful,the DJ Union will have them picketting the venue's.............

"What do we want? - OVO.When do we want it? NOW!!".

Social source share

Replace dj's with jukeboxes????.What and give someone another moan??."Don't go there,they've got a jukebox full of boots".

£4 an hour from the jukebox?.Most punters would sit all night waiting for someone else to make the selections.whistling.gif .Just like they sit all night with one coke.wicked.gif

Just record monkey's with a mike. yes.gif .

Its either that or some Freudian element.When we see the DJ putting on records,we see a father figure,doing as he pleases,regardless.Maybe our own father did just this....food cooked for him,clothes ironed,etc..

Thru this maybe you have a problem with authority.g.gif

Or it could be all bollox.thumbup.gif

Social source share

Checkerboard squares all-night then.god help us the day that happens,no one playing other stuff same old tripe.dead in the water within 12 months.

DITTO

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I've no idea why we have DJs. All we need is an Mp3 player with the NS Top 600 on it plugged into a snuttingmassivegreat PA and set to 'shuffle'.

Ooh ooh, I've got one of those.

Give me your money and you can borrow it for the night.

Social source share

Why Do We Have Dj,s?

Someones got to look after me coat/beer/bag :lol:

Seriously to me a DJ should be there to serve the floor, but more than that - to raise horizons: saying 'if you like that one you already know - how about THIS one that's similar but better that you don't' - envangelising for the music

...Sadly too many DJs seem to lack the knowledge, technical (spot building) skill and records themselves to do this - scrabbling for spots because of the ego trip they get from standing there behind the deck whilst this or that expensive overly well known (and over played) classic is on the turntable (showing a suitably impressed world they own it) - NOT because they want to spread the neglected music they believe should be played - many of the best DJs I've ever seen hardly ever get spots because they ain't pushy and self impressed, just solid soul fans with a superb collection and a real feel for the floor.

Dave

Social source share

:thumbup:thumbsup.gif nice one Matt

Social source share

Cheers PATTO

Well said thumbsup.gif Patto agree 100%

Rob

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

£4 an hour from the jukebox?.Most punters would sit all night waiting for someone else to make the selections.whistling.gif .Just like they sit all night with one coke.wicked.gif

Just record monkey's with a mike. :lol: .

:lol:

Because we need someone on the stage to annoy with requests when we think they should be playing their set a different way!:lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

is it to entertain ?

is it to educate ?

what a rediculous question

Social source share

What a ridiculous question?

No such thing as a ridiculous question, just ridiculous answers.

If I was a promoter I think the most important consideration would be what DJ's are selected ergo

is it to entertain ?

is it to educate ?

You shouldn't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever say "ridiculous" when our Barney has taken time out to start a thread coz he may well sit on yer face and give you a Mexican bum wank.

Social source share

What a ridiculous question?

No such thing as a ridiculous question, just ridiculous answers.

If I was a promoter I think the most important consideration would be what DJ's are selected ergo

is it to entertain ?

is it to educate ?

You shouldn't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever say "ridiculous" when our Barney has taken time out to start a thread coz he may well sit on yer face and give you a Mexican bum wank.

I accidentally learned how to play this tune one day whilst doing "I must, I must, improve my bust" exercises!

Chris

Social source share

Its either that or some Freudian element.When we see the DJ putting on records,we see a father figure,doing as he pleases,regardless.Maybe our own father did just this....food cooked for him,clothes ironed,etc..

Thru this maybe you have a problem with authority.g.gif

Or it could be all bollox.thumbup.gif

youve lost me there mate will get the wife to have a dekko at this she went to uni and is a social worker

Social source share

is it to entertain ?

is it to educate ?

It depends on the event, and the expectations of the punter, but I guess the most important thing is to judge the moment, and fill the floor. DJs who can do this while 'educating' dancers at the same time with unexpected tracks, are the best in my opinion.

My own personal favourite spots have been danceable throughout, while entertaining me with the thrill of favourite records, and educating me with the odd one or two new to me, which is enjoyable itself when you are challenged to hit an unfamiliar beat on the dancefloor.

Some DJs seem to draw lots of people, which adds to the atmosphere, but they are sometimes the ones who stay safe and play the same old stuff you hear every week, everywhere. Unadventurous, meek and rather jukebox-like in their formulaic replaceability. Which is a shame, as I'm told some of them used to mean something.

Some DJs clear the floor while experimenting at the wrong place which could be argued as egotistical if the promoter wasn't expecting it.

Some DJs cause such outrage that

They may be wrong occasionally, but then nothing interesting ever happened without a chance being taken.

More power to them.

Social source share

It depends on the event, and the expectations of the punter, but I guess the most important thing is to judge the moment, and fill the floor. DJs who can do this while 'educating' dancers at the same time with unexpected tracks, are the best in my opinion.

My own personal favourite spots have been danceable throughout, while entertaining me with the thrill of favourite records, and educating me with the odd one or two new to me, which is enjoyable itself when you are challenged to hit an unfamiliar beat on the dancefloor.

Some DJs seem to draw lots of people, which adds to the atmosphere, but they are sometimes the ones who stay safe and play the same old stuff you hear every week, everywhere. Unadventurous, meek and rather jukebox-like in their formulaic replaceability. Which is a shame, as I'm told some of them used to mean something.

Some DJs clear the floor while experimenting at the wrong place which could be argued as egotistical if the promoter wasn't expecting it.

Some DJs cause such outrage that

They may be wrong occasionally, but then nothing interesting ever happened without a chance being taken.

More power to them.

good post and some good pointers thumbsup.gif

Social source share

is it to entertain ?

is it to educate ?

I'm gonna stick my neck out and be controversial here but I think a DJ's job is:

First and foremost to understand the needs of the promoter.

The promoter, in turn, should book DJ's that understand their venue and what it is about.

You can't do that if you turn up 5 minutes before your spot for example.

The best promoters give the DJ's 'freedom within a framework' if they step out of that framework then don't book them again.

Think of the best venues (whatever that means to you) and most punters will know what to expect and will moan if a DJ goes too far 'off script' or for too long.

As a DJ you work for the promoter not the dancefloor.

Its the promoters job to pick the right DJ's who can create the type of night they are trying to build.

It's not the DJ's job to chicken out or reinterpret what the venue is all about for either an easy life or to satisfy their own ego.

I'll get my tin hat :)

Social source share

I'm gonna stick my neck out and be controversial here but I think a DJ's job is:

The promoter, in turn, should book DJ's that understand their venue and what it is about.

The best promoters give the DJ's 'freedom within a framework' if they step out of that framework then don't book them again.

Think of the best venues (whatever that means to you) and most punters will know what to expect and will moan if a DJ goes too far 'off script' or for too long.

Its the promoters job to pick the right DJ's who can create the type of night they are trying to build.

It's not the DJ's job to chicken out or reinterpret what the venue is all about for either an easy life or to satisfy their own ego.

I'll get my tin hat wicked.gif

Well put Ged thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'll get my tin hat wicked.gif

thumbsup.gif thats fair enough

Social source share

A DJ is there to let those who booked at taxi know it's turned up at end of night :thumbup:

A Dj's job is there to entertain and educate (otherwise there is no point going out) but the balance has to be right according to the venue and the policy. But there a too few promoters these days who are prepared to stray from the norm and get DJ's who are prepared to educate with a few unknowns/semi-unknowns, which is a pity.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Well put Ged thumbsup.gif

i'll second that Nev.

When a promoter approaches you to offer you a spot at their venue, you dont have to say yes!

If the event doesnt suit your box, style and current desire of tuneage you want to play (couldnt think of a good way to phrase that), then dont play there or all the criteria posted in the first thread wont be met. Does that make you a bad DJ; NO. But if you went there knowing full well you werent going to play the stuff a promoter booked you for, does that make you a bad DJ; YES.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert