My Tip For Revival

My favourit record in the eighties,bout time it took off again..............now this isn't played anywhere no more,what happened ?

With you in a minute biggrin.gif

post-1986-12532220421996.jpg

larry houston - let's spend some time together - hfmp

Social source share

• Replies 94
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm getting ready to make a compilation of Mike James Kirkland in his solo years and of his work with The Censations. I was wondering if anybody could supply a good picture of Mike & The Censations or if not possibly just a photo of Mike himself. I'm looking for something so I can slap together an album cover. I'd also be interested if anyone could supply a bio or any other information of interest on him / and the group. There doesn't seem to be much on the net.

mike james kirkland - Give it to Me -

Thanx in advance 4 any help that can be shared on this subject....

G MAN

Social source share

I'm getting ready to make a compilation of Mike James Kirkland in his solo years and of his work with The Censations. I was wondering if anybody could supply a good picture of Mike & The Censations or if not possibly just a photo of Mike himself. I'm looking for something so I can slap together an album cover. I'd also be interested if anyone could supply a bio or any other information of interest on him / and the group. There doesn't seem to be much on the net.

mike james kirkland - Give it to Me -

Thanx in advance 4 any help that can be shared on this subject....

G MAN

post-5120-12532497310126_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Awesome soul from a great and under acknowledged group......good to hear that you're planning on a compilation CD....will it include their Pride releases without Mike, and is there any unreleased material ?

i don't think the pride group is actually related, it's listed that way in the soul harmony singles book but i always assumed that was a mistake, do you think that is actually the same group?

Social source share

Awesome soul from a great and under acknowledged group......good to hear that you're planning on a compilation CD....will it include their Pride releases without Mike, and is there any unreleased material ?

The PRIDE recordings you are referring to.......is that the group named THE NEW CENSATION that issued the album NEW CENSATION in 1974? I really don't know much about this group....so were these indivuals the same that were with MIKE JAMES KIRKLAND previously? If you have any info on this please share it.

I'll post a track list soon that I'm considering for the comp.

G MAN

Social source share

i don't think the pride group is actually related, it's listed that way in the soul harmony singles book but i always assumed that was a mistake, do you think that is actually the same group?

BOB are both of talking about the group named THE NEW CENSATION? I was trying to search for the band members of this group but didn't come up with anything.

G MAN

Social source share

This is the current list I'm trying to narrow down to fill one 80 minute cd. This includes some of Mike's solo tracks also.

Click on the attatchment for a better view.

G MAN

Edited by G MAN
Social source share

That's where I'd picked the information up from. assuming that Jeff and Jim had confirmed their research, but you're probably right the two groups may not be connected. I've not been able to find any details of group line up after searching the net for an hour or more.

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

if anyone could supply a bio or any other information of interest on him / and the group.

G MAN

G MAN, here's what I know.....

From L.A. - line up: Michael Kirkland (lead) Robert Kirkland (2nd tenor) Armand Postell (1st tenor) Lonnie Wade

The roots of the 1965 recording of "Victim Of Circumstance" go back into the Missisippi delta where the Kirkland family originated, There were seven siblings in the musically gifted family. As the Seven Seals Juniors, the Kirklands performed on the gospel music circuit. Around the time Michael turned ten the family had packed up and moved to Los Angeles. After graduating from Dorsey High School, Mike started attending L.A. Valley College. It was around this period that Robert Kirkland put a group together, consisting of himself, Mike, their sister, her husband Armand Postell and Michael Trotter, called The Censations. They started working on a song Mike had written called "Victim Of Circumstance" and eventually ended up at Madelon Baker's Audio Arts Studio.

Originally released on their own Brian label "Victim...." was eventually re-released on Sid Talmadge's Highland Records. The record got its first spin from DJ Al Scott at KGFJ - that was the push it needed. It started to get airplay throughout the West Coast and climbed L.A.'s soul charts at KGFJ to the No. 5 position by early March of 1967. By August the same year their second single "There's Nothing I Can Do About It" was also sitting at KGFJ's No. 5 spot. After six singles the Censations split with Highland and signed a deal with Revue that produced three quality recordings, all of which were released in 1969.

(courtesy of Ruben Molina)

Good luck with the project, looking forward to it !!

thumbsup.gifRossyBoy

Edited by RossyBoy
Social source share

I've been a long time admirer of 'TOGETHER' ZAY RECORDS the othe side to 'THE PROPHET' which you have included in the tracklisting

Cheers

Pat

PAT, I agree....that is an absolute killer track!

G MAN

Social source share

On 9/19/2009 at 10:44, chalky said:

Some info in the Highland bit I did in my blog, it's taken from one of their Lp's....

Wow........great stuff CHALKY! Thanx for the info.

There are a few songs listed in that story that I don' think I've heard before.

Could anybody provide the following tracks:

1. DON'T MESS WITH ME

2. I NEED YOUR LOVIN'

3. BE MIN FOREVER

4. WHAT'RE YOU GONNA DO

G MAN

Social source share

G MAN, here's what I know.....

From L.A. - line up: Michael Kirkland (lead) Robert Kirkland (2nd tenor) Armand Postell (1st tenor) Lonnie Wade

The roots of the 1965 recording of "Victim Of Circumstance" go back into the Missisippi delta where the Kirkland family originated, There were seven siblings in the musically gifted family. As the Seven Seals Juniors, the Kirklands performed on the gospel music circuit. Around the time Michael turned ten the family had packed up and moved to Los Angeles. After graduating from Dorsey High School, Mike started attending L.A. Valley College. It was around this period that Robert Kirkland put a group together, consisting of himself, Mike, their sister, her husband Armand Postell and Michael Trotter, called The Censations. They started working on a song Mike had written called "Victim Of Circumstance" and eventually ended up at Madelon Baker's Audio Arts Studio.

Originally released on their own Brian label "Victim...." was eventually re-released on Sid Talmadge's Highland Records. The record got its first spin from DJ Al Scott at KGFJ - that was the push it needed. It started to get airplay throughout the West Coast and climbed L.A.'s soul charts at KGFJ to the No. 5 position by early March of 1967. By August the same year their second single "There's Nothing I Can Do About It" was also sitting at KGFJ's No. 5 spot. After six singles the Censations split with Highland and signed a deal with Revue that produced three quality recordings, all of which were released in 1969.

(courtesy of Ruben Molina)

Good luck with the project, looking forward to it !!

thumbsup.gifRossyBoy

Thanks for all of the great info ROSSYBOY! ROSS do happen to have any of those tracks I mention in the previous post?

G MAN

Social source share

My absolute fave from the guys is, 'Baby What're gonna do' on Highland.

Superb understated production...deep rich bassline, chimes in all the right places and a tambourine riding over it all.

thumbup.gif:lol:thumbup.gif

FLYNNY do you think you could share that one..........I don't think I have that.

G MAN

Social source share

My favourit record in the eighties,bout time it took off again..............now this isn't played anywhere no more,what happened ?

With you in a minute :lol:

larry houston - let's spend some time together - hfmp -

Bump !!

Social source share

Great track Ken but the first time Ive seen a red label copy...thought the label was white with red textg.gif

Social source share

Great track Ken but the first time Ive seen a red label copy...thought the label was white with red textg.gif

Got both labels Martin,different mix loads more bass on the red one the R+W the label goes into the run out,most i have seen are like this.

Edited by ken
Social source share

One o` my all time faves Ken as you know,I think I bought mine off you-Cast your mind back to ancient times-remember that home made bong?

Social source share

One o` my all time faves Ken as you know,I think I bought mine off you-Cast your mind back to ancient times-remember that home made bong?

Whats a bong ? :ohmy: king of the bucket now king.gif

Social source share

That's a bloody awful version Ken. This is far superior in my humble etc.

Larry Houston lets Spend Some Time Long version hmpf -

But they are the same :sweatingbullets: except maybe the above version is off a cd. biggrin.gif maybe,its no longer anyway.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: ...proper soul....:no: ....if you don't get this, then......:chinstroke:

What's all this 'if you don't get this' rubbish? I don't like it, big deal.

I hadn't realised i had to like the same records as you Cliff, otherwise i'm not really a soul fan. :chinstroke:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

What's all this 'if you don't get this' rubbish? I don't like it, big deal.

I hadn't realised i had to like the same records as you Cliff, otherwise i'm not really a soul fan. g.gif

You're unlikely to like the same records as me 'cos my taste goes beyond Northern......

.........there's plenty of tunes on here I don't like.....but I wouldn't write them off as "rubbish" just because they don't fit into my world......no.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

You're unlikely to like the same records as me 'cos my taste goes beyond Northern......

.........there's plenty of tunes on here I don't like.....but I wouldn't write them off as "rubbish" just because they don't fit into my world......no.gif

No, you're right, you don't call them rubbish, but you are pompous enough to suggest mistakenly that I only like northern soul. That says far more about you.

Social source share

No, you're right, you don't call them rubbish, but you are pompous enough to suggest mistakenly that I only like northern soul. That says far more about you.

He didn't say that,did he ? :lol: i commented on your lack of taste though :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

He didn't say that,did he ? huh.gif i commented on your lack of taste though tongue.gif

Yes mate and that was funny, in the spirit of me calling it 'rubbish'. Just having a laugh, even though i don't like it i don't care if others do. Some folks take things too seriously though.

Social source share

Strewth.........you are touchy aren't you unsure.gif .....I didn't say that you only liked Northern, and you're right, if I had then I'd wear the pompous badge.

Ok, so if you like Northern, modern, deep, funk, crossover, soulful house, jazz, jazz-funk and deep disco as I do....then I apologise for being over presumptious im my take on your trashing a really great soul tune like Larry Houston...otherwise my comment stands....shades.gif ..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert