Kae Williams

Guest jkw

So I've just heard this amazing record for the first time - I know most of you probably already know it and either love it or hate it, this is the kind of thing that got me into Northern in the first place. The tingle and buzz and sheer joy of hearing somthing totally new - Now I ask, how rare is it, label an how much will it cost me?

John

Social source share

So I've just heard this amazing record for the first time - I know most of you probably already know it and either love it or hate it, this is the kind of thing that got me into Northern in the first place. The tingle and buzz and sheer joy of hearing somthing totally new - Now I ask, how rare is it, label an how much will it cost me?

John

its unnissued

Social source share

Well, they shouldn't have, because a few people paid money for that cut. whos booted it then Phil?

I'd think some have had a vinyl copy cut from the cd's which were passed round following the underhand taping of Butchs spot Paul.

The sound quality of Kae Williams is good enough to take a cut off it if anyone wanted to.

Social source share

I'd think some have had a vinyl copy cut from the cd's which were passed round following the underhand taping of Butchs spot Paul.

The sound quality of Kae Williams is good enough to take a cut off it if anyone wanted to.

Didn't think Butch played this, I can't say I've ever heard him play it, certainly not at the Rocket when his set was recorded (if thats the one you are referring to).

Social source share

Surely if it's un-issued why can't anybody play it????????????? the ones who have got it aint got an original so no big deal. The only one who can complain is the person who has the original acetate, that's if there is one.

If someone has bought or owns the studio tapes and then sells a cut to a dj in good faith, then NO, it shouldn't be cut by anyone else without permission of the owner of the studio master.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

If someone has bought or owns the studio tapes and then sells a cut to a dj in good faith, then NO, it shouldn't be cut by anyone else without permission of the owner of the studio master.thumbsup.gif

now theres a can of worms ready to be opened, someone may own the master tapes, but if they dont own the rights to the content of the tapes then they cant legally sell cuts from them

Social source share

The first person I heard play this was Andy Dyson at Sheridans.

Aye joan ,the way it happened was rob thomas and myself used to play oddball things to each other - when he played that to me i said if you ever sell it lemme know cos i'll make that a popular tune.A short time passed and rob gave me a recording of it to cut ( it is a unissued tape) and said play it out which i did and the rest as they say is history.Whether rob or anyone else spun it at anytime i ain't sure but untill i started playing it it was basically only known by a few.When it got popular which didn't take long loads of folk wanted recordings of it but i told them all to ask rob because it wasn't really mine to give away,so i can only assume rob recorded it for these other folk who've been playing it.All that aside it's a fantastic record that always reminds me of the great niters at sheridans and gave me a lot of pleasure playing it out - certainly one of the better records that i've broke over the years.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The story is a simple one .. Rob & I were given a number of unissued things from a contact in the States. As I recall included in this batch was the Avons alternate version of 'When the boy that you love is loving you' .... we did the thing that Ady did with some of his early unissued finds to protect the source and covered it up. Kae Williams was therefore known as 'Herman Lewis - Our Love is dying' for the first 12 month, or so, of it's life.

My vague memory is this might have made it's debut when I played it at a Cleethorpes weekender but the passage of time tends to fog things. I guess this must have been about 7 years ago or maybe even a little longer. I certainly recalling playing it at Scenesville which would make it a good 7 years ago. Rob always rated the tune highly, at the time I wasn't quite as enthusiastic as he was but over a period of time it did sound better and better.

Given my exit from DJing and Rob's gradual reduction in that area the track did get given to a few people to continue playing. This isn't the only thing that has been passed on for similar reasons.... 'Switch Around' springs to mind

Personally i'm really pleased that it has continued to grow in popularity and it's a credit to DJs like Andy Dyson and Marco et al who are committed to pushing quality tunes which are a perfect reflection of their good taste.

Regards

Andy

Edited by AndyRix
Social source share

• 4 years later...
Guest Rodney LeePeace

Great comments of a great unissued track,my question is why aren't these records put out for release officially so we can all hear them and give the right people the royalties they deserve,I would love to hear the avons track too.

One day we will be gone from this earth and I'd like my heaven before I die that's why I listen to soul.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!