Soul Fan Or Scene Fan?

Barry

Interesting, classically meandering thread. Regardless of the truth of either side I've enjoyed the sparring here, and particularly your thoughtful, reflective posts ChorleySoul.

Thanks for making the effort.

Thanks for that mate. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 178
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Mrs Simsy

Me too LOL.

I'll rephrase - a woman who agrees with me, presumably likes Northern Soul and likes a beer then? Even better.......... laugh.gif

Ian D :)

yes.gif

The original question was about people's enthusiasms for 'the music' or 'the scene'. On post 139 I offered a very short and I thought, reasonbaly succinct encapsulation of that question, regarding my experiences on the Punk scene (where I loved the scene more than the music) and the Northern Scene, where for me it's always been the music first.

It does appear however that certain people on here are still of the viewpoint that Punk and the massive cultural legacy that sprang from it did not really exist past the 'gobbing and spitting' aspects and that sadly derailed the debate.

And then it went onto wedge haircuts. thumbsup.gif

Aah. That clears it up.:D I've never had a wedge haircut i must confess.:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

No Mark, Vera's equally as relevant as most other areas of discussion raised on this thread. I'm sure someone will be able to identify connections between Vera's contribution to the war effort and the scene (which apparently dosn't exist anymore g.gif ) or with some real effort find another obscure tangent or two to link her to Johnny Rotten or the Labour Party of the '80's, and an excuse to rattle on about their formative years, meandering through various fashionable fads.

Now that Vera's gone overground, I think her scene will fall away to small, local pockets of ale drinkers reminiscing about the good old days of rationing, the blitz, and her rare 78s.....nothing like the huge central, single scene nights between 1939 and 1945.....huh.gif

hey cliff wasn't that central scene..mainly over in europe.....with the odd soul night in north Africa......Then the japanese started their own venue in the pacificlaugh.gif

Social source share

OMG - my father was in Procurement Executive @ MOD & would have been a Senior PTO (don't know if that's the correct term...) back in '77. Indeed, started at Faslane after National Service in early 60s, but hardly a fascist. Mind you, he used to wear Italian suits in the 50s, but I don't think the tailor's name was Mussolini.

He often talks about the punks that served under him. I guess you both must have met then... whistling.gif

Bearing in mind the poor response from viewers to this meandering thread I've PM'd you re the delights of the MOD[PE].

The fascist reference was just a joke. "God save the Queen,and her fascist regime" of which Im sure the MOD would have been included and no I dont want to argue about it.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

I've just had a thought!

Thinking about Chorley's premise that punk started with a social/political ethos and then mine that perhaps it didn't live up to it entirely I wonder if we have gone the opposite way in that this scene started as a night-out for teenagers but because of it's longevity has now taken on certain values. I'd say anti-racism for one.

Feel free to switch off entirely.

ROD

Social source share

I've just had a thought!

Thinking about Chorley's premise that punk started with a social/political ethos and then mine that perhaps it didn't live up to it entirely I wonder if we have gone the opposite way in that this scene started as a night-out for teenagers but because of it's longevity has now taken on certain values. I'd say anti-racism for one.

Feel free to switch off entirely.

ROD

I would agree with that. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I have tried to read all the posts on here but it seems to be dissapearing up its own arse, the idea that punters going to any venue really cared about the politics the culture and what ever is clap trap IMO they were just following the crowd and trying to have a good time even if the did get gobbed onshades

Thats obviously an opinion based on your own sensibilities at the time...not everybody elses.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

whats "trenchant" mean??!!

:unsure: A little burrowing insect that was very common around 1918 I think.

:sweatingbullets: Flaming eck this thread was a hard read!

:lol: So am I right in summing up....Billy Bragg had a red wedge ? onto.gif

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Looking at the "Vera" part of the thread surely it should be "trenchfoot"?

As in Jack n Vera Duckegg?.Don't think Jack was in the trenches,may have be a lefty tho.Could have been on the same bill as The Exploited in Milton Keynes in 81.

What was the question again...Barry..?....BARRY!!!!!angry.gif

Social source share

Bearing in mind the poor response from viewers to this meandering thread I've PM'd you re the delights of the MOD[PE].

The fascist reference was just a joke. "God save the Queen,and her fascist regime" of which Im sure the MOD would have been included and no I dont want to argue about it.

ROD

Bearing in mind over 160 responses, not too bad a response Rod! As for opinions, there are good observations and some throway, spiteful, or sarcastic ones. Pretty much a normal Soul Source thread really, would you not agree?

As for those who claim not to understand it, it reads pretty easily to me, but there you go. Having said that, nothing wrong with a little surrealism along the way lol!no.gifthumbup.gif

And yes I am sure the MOD would have been included!yes.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

snapback.pngTedsoul, on 18 September 2009 - 06:56 PM, said:

I have tried to read all the posts on here but it seems to be dissapearing up its own arse, the idea that punters going to any venue really cared about the politics the culture and what ever is clap trap IMO they were just following the crowd and trying to have a good time even if the did get gobbed onshades.gif

Thats obviously an opinion based on your own sensibilities at the time...not everybody elses.thumbsup.gif

Very astute.

'And the all-night drug prowling wolf, who looks so sick inside....Cause the white man, in the palais - he's only....looking for fun!!!'

JOHN MELLOR RIP

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

I dont know what the fuck this emoticon means but it seems entirely appropriate to me in the context of this threadph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

Why have I just wasted half an hour of my life reading this shite?????

Note to self - GET A LIFE

Perhaps you may find more intellectual and physical gratification on the following thread where everybody seems to be having a great time!thumbup.gif maaaan.

Can/does R Winstanley Dance Anybody seen him shakin' his stuff !! Rate Topic: bullet_star_off.pngsleep3.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Perhaps you may find more intellectual and physical gratification on the following thread where everybody seems to be having a great time!thumbup.gif maaaan.

Can/does R Winstanley Dance Anybody seen him shakin' his stuff !! Rate Topic: bullet_star_off.pngsleep3.gif

Hey la dont fetch my thread into this,my threads are meant for normal folks,not intellectual heavy weights like yourself. :lol:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

at my age i am at a time when some people will say it's not as good as it used to be.

I am to myself a soulie who likes to go to strictly Northern soul venues that play only Northern soul/Modern etc not general soul music. I go to places i want to go to and will gladly do as i like without anyone telling me. I dance when i want, collect some records when i can, buy some CD's to listen to at home and have IPod for some Northern so can listen when out.

Social source share

Just read all this and have drawn the conclusion that Barry is as mad as cheese (keep it up ) everyone else myself included posts complete and utter shite as a responce , at the end of the day its simple non of it matters why analyse everything its music its fun end of rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Just read all this and have drawn the conclusion that Barry is as mad as cheese (keep it up ) everyone else myself included posts complete and utter shite as a responce , at the end of the day its simple non of it matters why analyse everything its music its fun end of rolleyes.gif

Bang on.

Social source share

Bang on.

No, like BILL SHANKLY said 'Some things are more important than life or death'

It's not just about music and having 'fun'. It's about passion and lifelong commitment and dedication. A lot of threads on here are far from fun actually.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert