Alcohol At Allnighters...is There Really Any Need For It?

Except for Prawn Cocktail - they should be banned.

Pigeon Fancier's the first nighter with alcohol? Aside from the Ritz which pre-dates the PFC signficantly (and recorded all the naffer results that can follow from alcohol in its time - some woman called Judith got chucked out for sneaking in a bottle of Bacardi as I remember) give me a break - pretty sure the Unicorn (1985 RSG in Leighton Buzzard) and the Fleet (1983 Dedicated Soul Club days) served alcohol (though I may be mixing up the alldayers - all a Riker blur I'm afraid) and I'm sure they weren't the first either.

Still think it goes against the grain big style.

Dave

Yes the Ritz sold alcohol, but not all night.

Judith always had a bottle in her bag.thumbup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 99
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Pigeon Fancier's the first nighter with alcohol? Aside from the Ritz which pre-dates the PFC signficantly (and recorded all the naffer results that can follow from alcohol in its time - some woman called Judith got chucked out for sneaking in a bottle of Bacardi as I remember) give me a break - pretty sure the Unicorn (1985 RSG in Leighton Buzzard) and the Fleet (1983 Dedicated Soul Club days) served alcohol (though I may be mixing up the alldayers - all a Riker blur I'm afraid) and I'm sure they weren't the first either.

Dave

Things obviously are still a blur. Helps if you read the post you are replying to properly. Nobody said other allnighters didn't serve alcohol, but the Bolton Pigeon Fanciers club served alcohol all night, legally, well before any other allnighter had an all night license.

Social source share

The Allnighters at Bolton Pigeon fanciers club were nothing to do with Derek or Phil. It was me and John Mills that promoted those. And yes, as far as I'm aware it was the first allnighter with a legal all night bar. It was to do with the Club's licence, because the pigeon clocks had to be returned to the headquarters of the Pigeon Fanciers Association (and this could be any time of the day or night if it was a big race from Europe) their licence to sell alcohol was any 35 hours a week. When we ran the first allnighter there they took more money on the bar that one night than they had in the previous three months ! Sadly, once they realised the money they could make from running all night Jamaican Blues Parties every fortnight they told us to bugger off, so the Northern fans couldn't have been buying that much beer !

Sorry Dave, I don't know why I thought it it was D.W. & P.D.

Anyway I might have got part of it right.thumbup.gif

Dave.

P.S. Did Phil run The Griffin in Leeds.?

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

Indeed lol

I was at Lifeline and someone walked right across the floor to and from the bar.

ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

I was at a soul night recently and someone was dancing on the carpeted area near the bar.

Things just seem to be getting out of hand on the soul scene these days.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Around 4oo in at maxims sat bar open allnite no one falling about,no arguments whats the problem.If anyone can fing a decent niter venue were the managment wont insist on the bar being open,id like to see it.

Social source share

Are some of you really that sheltered that you can't cope with a bit of beer spillage and drinking on the dancefloor every now and then. When I used to knock about in Indie clubs I'd have to squeeze the beer out of my t-shirt a couple of times a night and that's before the band came on.

Some of us like getting bladdered, some of us like taking gear. Maybe it's getting to the point where niters need to introduce a tea and biscuits bar complete with complimentary anusol - whadya reckon wicked.gif

Now about banning the crisps.....I reckon ready salted are okay but anything else.......rolleyes.gif

Scandalous post, shirts wringing with beer, the very thought!

Getting bladdered, taking gear? Good lord, this is Northern Soul we are talking aboutthumbup.gif !!!

(Yeah, you are right mate, just think once upon a time this scene was renowned for attracting rebels and mavericks!)

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Dave

What? Pigeons or crisps?thumbsup.gif

Social source share

NO - has had nothing but negative effects on the nighter scene - hate it.

Dave

NOTHING BUT A NEGATIVE EFFECT? Bollocks, I've had some of the greatest nights of my life pissed in places like the 100 CLUB and YATE let alone hundreds of Soul nights - thats too dramatic!glare.gif

Social source share

ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

I was at a soul night recently and someone was dancing on the carpeted area near the bar.

Things just seem to be getting out of hand on the soul scene these days.

Ive been doing that for 35 years, there again I was always a prick at school toothumbsup.gif

Social source share

Why are they joking,used to be ok before why not now ? if someone can find a village hall book the top djs,i would go............. thumbup.gif

Theres a night like that BISHOPSTOKE in hampshire - you have to go out to the pub next door - biggest wind up ever - feels like a bloody youth club dowhistling.gif

Social source share

A Carpetdancer is a variant of the carpetbagger. Their modus operandi is exactly the same, i.e. they move into an area with the sole purpose of extracting whatever is beneficial to them with no real committment to establishing roots. I think they should be given their marching orders, especially when they crowd tables and sweat profusely.

Social source share

Anyway I might have got part of it right.:thumbup:

Dave.

I'm sure he did - I remember Cooperman driving the wrong way down a one way street one Sunday morning due to those dashed late bars at the Griffin. Had some great nights in Leeds in them days. Trunks out:beer:

Social source share

Total utter bollocks. I've been doing nighters since I was 16 in '87 and beer and other stuff goes hand in hand with the record bars and chatting with like minded normal everyday folk. Sometimes on here it's like the nanny state gone mad..

Rich

Well said Rich

I'd be sick as a parrot if the alcohol stopped at 12 am ,not everyone who drinks is a p**head or acts like a dickhead .

Some of us prefer a drink than the other stuff .......water drinking brigadewhistling:wicked:

Mind you i struggle at allnighters anyway cos im such a light weight ,ten pints is my limit these days:D

Social source share

Suppose that makes me a wanker.gif then.

I like a drink if im honest (not in a way that makes me an alcoholic of course) - just the generation i've been brought up in i suppose. BUT i dont think that turns the nighter scene into a p!ss head scene.

The fact is, back in the day (which is obvious to my profile i wasnt around for, but many people i know were), the drug of alcohol was swapped with something else. That drug(s) still exists today but nowhere near as popular a choice imo, for many differing reasons; a good thing too.

yes but the drug of choice back in the day made people dance all-night, talk b*ll*cks all-night and by an large didn't attract an unruly element only there cause there was a late bar and an opportunity to try an pull. Now I like a drink with the best of 'em and back in the day I could pour it down me but the fact that alcohol wasn't available at an all-nighter made them IMHO a better experience. Alcohol brings out the c*nt in some folks who can't handle it and as said it's usually all over the dance floor. But I su[ppose times change and we have to realise that venue owners make their money from the bar and most don't give a sh*t if there was a northern night in their venue or a "normal" club night.....most prefer the normal club night as usually mnore alcohol is sold.

Maybe all-nighters should go back to membership only, any membership to a soul club gets you in anywhere, bit like working mens clubs :unsure: at least that would keep out the p*ss heads!

Social source share

Anyway I might have got part of it right.thumbup.gif

Dave.

Was that the hotel ? Pat Brady and Phil D i think ? ,first one was fantastic then just fizzled out after that. :unsure:

Social source share

I'd sooner hear someone talk Audible Bollox, than the slurred variety, its far more interesting,

less agressive ,rational and more interesting bollox shades.gif

Trust me on thisthumbsup.gif

Having said that the niters i attend, , Burnley ,Lifeline,

Wigan, Rugby no probssmile.gif A couple of young fellas with drinks were swiftly

removed by security off the dancefloorv at Rugby Sat Nite , no fuss thoughno.gif

Think that Ady may have had the odd problem over the years with the 100

being in the middle of Oxford Street.

Social source share

Should we allow crisps at nighters?

Many a true word spoken in jest...they are banned at my venue. Well they won't sell them anymore, because the piss heads that hire the room for "normal do's" throw them all over the place, and they are a mare to clean up.

Debbie - But would you still allow someone to bring in some crisps or other food?

One venue i went to would not let me bring in my food, that i do have to eat every two hours due to hypoglycemia plus my diabetic needles no.gif

Social source share

Listen to you all!!, i never said ban ALL alcohol from allnighters, i, myself enjoy a drink in the early hours, i merely asked if it was necessary to open the bar ALL night!, a lot of clubs close around 3am, wouldnt this be a reasonable time to stop serving beer to stop such folk leaving their clubs, pissed up and cumming to ours...just for the beer!

BC

Social source share

Debbie - But would you still allow someone to bring in some crisps or other food?

One venue i went to would not let me bring in my food, that i do have to eat every two hours due to hypoglycemia plus my diabetic needles :no:

No problem there, I always nip out for a pizza half way through the nighter and devour it up in the Kestrel Suite.....:cheese:

Social source share

I'm getting a little pissed off at some of the comments on here that seem to assume that anyone who has a drink at a nighter is a slurring trouble maker that wants to fight and throw his drink over the dancefloor instead of doing the infinitely more pleasurable thing and drinking it ffs

Lots of people I know go to nighters without the need for recreationals and stay out of trouble

Look at Dave Rimmer...bumped into him at Rugby station after a nighter at around 10am and he still had a can of Boddingtons in his hand laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

One venue i went to would not let me bring in my food, that i do have to eat every two hours due to hypoglycemia plus my diabetic needles no.gif

Needles yes, crisps no.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm getting a little pissed off at some of the comments on here that seem to assume that anyone who has a drink at a nighter is a slurring trouble maker that wants to fight and throw his drink over the dancefloor instead of doing the infinitely more pleasurable thing and drinking it ffs

Lots of people I know go to nighters without the need for recreationals and stay out of trouble

Look at Dave Rimmer...bumped into him at Rugby station after a nighter at around 10am and he still had a can of Boddingtons in his hand laugh.giflaugh.gif

They're mad mate, mind you......just spotted that light blue thing. Now can CITY possibly conspire to become more unpopular than UNITED in a few years??

5,000 more headlines like the one today 'the richest club in the world' will do it!!!

More beer all round I saythumbup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Well said Rich

I'd be sick as a parrot if the alcohol stopped at 12 am ,not everyone who drinks is a p**head or acts like a dickhead .

Some of us prefer a drink than the other stuff .......water drinking brigadewhistling.gifwicked.gif

Mind you i struggle at allnighters anyway cos im such a light weight ,ten pints is my limit these daysbiggrin.gif

Yeah and the rest, beermonster beer.gifwacko.gifbiggrin.gif

For the record, I enjoy a tipple, at Rugby niter on Saturday night I knew I was driving from York the next day so I had a few blue wkds up from 8.30 pm ish till 11pm then went on the soft drinks. A lot of the time I drive, so a lot of the time I cannot have a drink anyway, but it is nice when I am not driving to be able to have a few drinks or ten thumbup.gif I'm as daft as a brush whether I drink or I don't.

Suz

x

Social source share

'Beeks'I'm getting a little pissed off at some of the comments on here that seem to assume that anyone who has a drink at a nighter is a slurring trouble maker that wants to fight and throw his drink over the dancefloor instead of doing the infinitely more pleasurable thing aLots of people I know go to nighters without the need for recreationals and stay out Look at Dave Rimmer...bumped into him at Rugby station after a nighter at around 10am and he still had a can of Boddingtons in

his hand

Beeks.

The only detrimental comment seems to be yours at the bottom of the first page.

Obviously your paranoia about the demon drink. Be careful!you'll finish up like SteveL!!

Be Good

Paul

Social source share

They're mad mate, mind you......just spotted that light blue thing. Now can CITY possibly conspire to become more unpopular than UNITED in a few years??

5,000 more headlines like the one today 'the richest club in the world' will do it!!!

More beer all round I saythumbup.gif

It's the Sky 4 manipulating the media mate...an Old Fashioned 'Witch Burning' to stop the heathens from breaking their cartel shades.gif

Social source share

It's the Sky 4 manipulating the media mate...an Old Fashioned 'Witch Burning' to stop the heathens from breaking their cartel shades.gif

See, the conspiracy theories are out already - and they havent won anything yet!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

That my friend could be a standard response to rather a lot of questions....rolleyes.gif

Looks like a standard "lifes too short" answer to me Reg girl shades.gif and remember the long thread i started with vote's for and against,anybody know how to find it ? think it was fairly even voting.

Social source share

Seriously Kenny...you're like a modern day Friedrich Neitzsche sometimes ohmy.gif

Who the, is he ?

Looked him up,interesting fella' and a German :thumbup:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Think that Ady may have had the odd problem over the years with the 100

being in the middle of Oxford Street.

Not too much considering, and as an imbiber myself nothing too unreasonable.

It's a weird combination though and the two drugs, alcohol and amphetamine are very different in so many ways. I would say they usually don't mix well (the people on them) but again we've both varieties down the club over the years with little friction.

As a teenager I used to get blasted with the lads on a Saturday night, have a hoot then neck some bombers and have a ball at a nighter too. Two nights out in one!

Social source share

Listen to you all!!, i never said ban ALL alcohol from allnighters, i, myself enjoy a drink in the early hours, i merely asked if it was necessary to open the bar ALL night!, a lot of clubs close around 3am, wouldnt this be a reasonable time to stop serving beer to stop such folk leaving their clubs, pissed up and cumming to ours...just for the beer!

BC

But why penalise the Nighter people because you are worried about the clubbers coming in pissed up. As I mentioned in a previous posting "Don't let them into the venue". Management have the right to refuse entry. thumbup.gif

Social source share

Needles yes, crisps no.thumbsup.gif

Debbie - The test kit needles tell me my blood sugar level, so i know how many bags of crisps & chedders to eat!

I understand alot of people dont really know about this condition, but it can be quite dangerous without the savory nibbles, that i eat every two hours, i can go straight into a coma, or if i eat too many sweet things, i can be more aggressive than a yob after alchol! :boxing:

I think clubs need to provide a good service for everyone :thumbup:

Alchol if you want it (while keeping an eye on folk that do get out of hand), water & soft drinks if you dont, snacks & crisps etc, & consider people with disabilities & health problems, because without the paying public there would be no club! :thumbup:

Edited by parkash
Social source share

wasnt the bar open at the wheel all night?

The original Wheel,Brazenose St or Whitworth St,were never licensed,coffee,milk or juice.Members used to go to the local bars first if they wanted a drink,the White Hart which I believe is now Monroe's being one of them.

Times have of course changed and the bar is open right through at 'nighters.

Social source share

Total utter bollocks. I've been doing nighters since I was 16 in '87 and beer and other stuff goes hand in hand with the record bars and chatting with like minded normal everyday folk. Sometimes on here it's like the nanny state gone mad..

Rich

I haven't got a problem with anyone's poison at niters, but ironically the only time my entire night has been utterly ruined by a beer-spilling, woman-bothering, stupid-dancing, in yer face pisshead, that pisshead was YOU Rich Buckley...

Social source share

But why penalise the Nighter people because you are worried about the clubbers coming in pissed up. As I mentioned in a previous posting "Don't let them into the venue". Management have the right to refuse entry. thumbup.gif

Agree with you Mike. As a dancer I have encountered numerous incidents on the dance floor with idiots spilling drinks etc. Very annoying especially when you have undertaken a 3 hour (plus) journey to get there including the sh*tty road system out here in Norfolk just to get within sniffing distance of a motorway!!

So I don't have a problem with an all night bar - just the people who use it as a means to getting p*ssed and ruining the night for rest of us

Mark C

Social source share

I went to a niter a couple of years ago, it got that bad with the piss heads it nearly ended up in a fight boxing.gif between the soulies and the "intruders". word had got around that there was a late bar at this venue and they came in their droves, the management were asked to stop letting all these folks in but they still kept a`commin, beer on the dance floor and an allround bad atmosphere. imo this isnt Northern Soul as we know it. angry.gif

Social source share

The original Wheel,Brazenose St or Whitworth St,were never licensed,coffee,milk or juice.Members used to go to the local bars first if they wanted a drink,the White Hart which I believe is now Monroe's being one of them.

Times have of course changed and the bar is open right through at 'nighters.

cheers for that, I always thought there was a bar at the original wheel for some reason.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert