Are Records Sold On This Site More Expensive Than Average?

Pete S

Record Prices  

1. 1. In general, are prices offered by sellers on Soul Source

• a) cheaper than average
    • b) about average
    • c) a little on the expensive side
    • d) way over the top in too many cases
    • e) I'm a mug who pays mint prices for vg+ records

Personally I'm deeply suspicious of the effect that the so called 'price guides' have had on record sales values on this site and in other places.

They have become the 'de facto' source for some buyers and sellers who maybe don't have as much knowledge or time to research the reality of record prices for rare soul records.

There are buyers who pay the 'guide' prices and sellers would be nuts if they didn't sell records at that price! In my own opinion the 'guides' should be re-titled as 'sales lists' for the relevant businesses , as the prices within are what those businesses would like to sell the records at so that they can make the biggest profit. Although a lot of knowledgeable rare soul record buyers know this, surprisingly a lot dont. I try to never pay more than 50% of the so called 'guide' prices and I'm fairly successful in getting the records I want.

I'm sure there will be a different view from some record dealers, it's not in any businesses interest to see prices/profit margins drop.

Rather than let the biggest record dealers dominate the pricing of rare soul records I would rather see a TRUE price guide created by someone who doesn't have an interest in increasing their own businesses profit margins. Somehow we have ended up over the last ten years letting the 'fox' tell us how to guard the 'chickens'.

I'm sure the knowledge is here on this site to put together a 'Soul Source Rare and Northern Soul Price Guide' as either a book or a web database and not just a forum section to redress the imbalance.

I'll volunteer now to lend a hand to anyone who could do this.

Social source share

• Replies 136
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Personally I'm deeply suspicious of the effect that the so called 'price guides' have had on record sales values on this site and in other places.

They have become the 'de facto' source for some buyers and sellers who maybe don't have as much knowledge or time to research the reality of record prices for rare soul records.

There are buyers who pay the 'guide' prices and sellers would be nuts if they didn't sell records at that price! In my own opinion the 'guides' should be re-titled as 'sales lists' for the relevant businesses , as the prices within are what those businesses would like to sell the records at so that they can make the biggest profit. Although a lot of knowledgeable rare soul record buyers know this, surprisingly a lot dont. I try to never pay more than 50% of the so called 'guide' prices and I'm fairly successful in getting the records I want.

I'm sure there will be a different view from some record dealers, it's not in any businesses interest to see prices/profit margins drop.

Rather than let the biggest record dealers dominate the pricing of rare soul records I would rather see a TRUE price guide created by someone who doesn't have an interest in increasing their own businesses profit margins. Somehow we have ended up over the last ten years letting the 'fox' tell us how to guard the 'chickens'.

I'm sure the knowledge is here on this site to put together a 'Soul Source Rare and Northern Soul Price Guide' as either a book or a web database and not just a forum section to redress the imbalance.

Fantastic post and it sums up the situation exactly.

Social source share

forget soul-source or ebay or auctions for prices ,get on the shop floor at venues and do the deal.

Hi Andy

Interesting point this, but I think it works both ways. I recently was after a tune that I saw occassionally for around £600/£700 in sales boxes - I bought a minter for considerably less via a dealers auction site!

The SWONS?

Julian

Social source share

Good Post

My view is to have a price range ie £10-20 , 20-50 50-100 100-200 etc adn then use a similar engine to the one petes used for his question with a timescale - SS members vote and the average is taken as the price or we nominate a group of persons who vote to determine the price using the same theory. This info would then be put into a Soulsource online catalogue.

Anyhow that my opinion.

Social source share

Going by the prices that many sellers place on records sold on Soul Source, I'd say that most of these sellers take the customers for mugs. I see records priced, two, three even four times what they're actually worth. I see VG+ records offered at mint prices, all the time. Does anyone buy off these people? This week I've seen a dozen or so records offered in sales that I wouldn't have minded buying, but most of them are for sale at DOUBLE what I sell them for.

Either people who buy these records are very rich, or just not up to speed on what records are actually worth.

Why would anyone buy a VG+ record for £150 when they could buy a mint one for £125?

Interesting thread BUT this was the oriiginal post!

I think Pete was on about folks 1) overcharging and 2) getting conditions wrong?

1) This is the easy one - Overcharging? Against what? Price guides are 'guides' not bibles? I see what I personally consider high, average & low prices on here but what I consider high for something, someone else might think is reasonable etc. Sorry for the short answer on this, maybe i've over simplified it BUT this isn't 'that' important to me! I simply ignore certain sellers who always seem too high for me (i.e. No point opening their thread as it's full of daft prices imho) and always look at sellers who i personally consider list good records at good prices. Even when good sellers list the occasional record too high for me (which is easily done?) I simply shrug my shoulders and get on with reading the rest of the list!

ps 'Books at £.....' does annoy me though when looking through lists :sleep3:

2) This is the hard one!!!! Conditions? Even we Brits don't fall in line with say, the US Goldmine standard. This is a real minefield and to my knowledge, there simply doesn't exist a 'defacto' worldwide standard on vinyl/label conditions? All I can say is that any records i've bought on SS that I think were significantly under my interpretation of their advertised grade, then I've contacted the seller and sorted it out. It's happened a couple of times and it's been sorted amicably (& privately) without any problems!

Anyway, that's my two-penneth's worth, for what it's worth!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

Totally Agree , well said that man :lol: The problem I have is that I dont go to many do's like I used to , so dont really know what the going rate

is on records, so when I want to sell a few (which is just to get some dosh to buy more) I tend to look at the guides (for Guidence !) but I get

confused even further as I have both JM & TB guides which on a lot a records totally contradict each other.

i.e 1 record in JM last book (not the newest) is £300 then in new book £100 and in TB's book £30. So basically I dont know what to ask in the first

place and dont want to look a tw*t on SS (I can do that without selling records!:D)

The other thing is I dont have any big ticket records so the ones I want to sell most people on here probably have already got them.

so a SS Guide would be a great idea albeit a bloody difficult task to do .

Swifty

Social source share

Good Post

My view is to have a price range ie £10-20 , 20-50 50-100 100-200 etc adn then use a similar engine to the one petes used for his question with a timescale - SS members vote and the average is taken as the price or we nominate a group of persons who vote to determine the price using the same theory. This info would then be put into a Soulsource online catalogue.

Anyhow that my opinion.

I feel such a system would need to be based on actual sales prices. Not what things were advertised at but what they sold for. If it could capture selling prices on items for a given period and average them out e.g. items in the £10-20 range over the last 6 months items in the £1000+ range over the last 5 years. It could also apply the current exchange rate to quote prices in £ and $ and apply a sensible formula to grading / price e.g. M= 100% of price VG= 50% of price. Come to think of it it could apply the formula and give the actual price for each grade. Now if such a system was available on could be accessed on a mobile device i.e. Blackberry I'd pay the price of a current price guide each year to access it.

I'd need to be a collector that ran it not a dealer though. I wonder if some dealers would be willing to share their selling price data for free access to the site. They wouldn't be able to massively influence the guide prices because of the averaging mechanism.

Food for thought for one of you web developer wizards.

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

I've been collecting records for nearly 40 years and have always paid what I thought a record is worth not what someone else tells me it is worth. If I think records are too highly priced I just don't buy them.

When I first started buying records there were no record price guides and there were certainly more bargains to be had. I can't be doing with these quotes of "this one books at" etc. I think most people who have been collecting for as long as I have will agree that record price guides have f*cked up the collecting scene big time.

Social source share

I'm not here to do anyone any favours when it comes to selling records. I'll list them for what I f***ing want, take it or leave it. As I say, I don't sell records as a charitable cause - I want the best price I can get for them, without unscrupulously ripping anyone off. Bear in mind I'm not a full-time dealer - just someone who sells to make room in their collection or sometimes needs the money.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Perhaps I should start a new thread with this but it seems to fit in quite well here.

One thing that has always interested me is how record prices are set.

I've only been collecting for just over 10 years (even tho I am 50+) and when I started I asked Pete S to put together a sales tape of cheap records with a list pricing them. I bought 5 or 6 for about a fiver each and thought I was mad to pay that much for records. I've still got them all I think.

But over the years, it has always intrigued me how records are priced, because there simply isn't any sound basis to it, particularly when you get past the £10 - £20 level (which are priced on how much it cost to get them from the states).

You may say it is supply and demand - but both go up and down all them time.

And at a certain level how do you distinguish between setting a price of say £800 or £1000? (Both are barking by the way whistling.gif ).

Who actually decides that a record is worth £100 or £150? There is no real basis for this distinction as it is difficult to tell what the supply or demand of a particular record at this level is. Some people would say they are common, others rare.

Does it come down to "what the market will bear"? If so then it is OK for people to put whatever price they want on records.

The price guides are no real indication as they are out of date before they are printed and were only produced to stop the flow of cheap records from the states.

Perhaps we could set criteria for different price brackets and then (as someone suggested) just slot records into these brackets and ask for offers. But then who determines that a record price should go up or down a bracket?

It has been said that the buyer determines the price but that is only the case when a seller is desperate to sell and there is probably only one buyer or when there are a number of buyers who desperately want the record. Once a record has been bought, that is one less potential buyer and record so should the price go up or down?

I was going to continue with this but I'm getting close to my old hobby horse of "the difference between value and price".

Interested to hear views on who decides what a record price should be.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

snapback.pngGene-R, on 21 September 2009 - 09:00 PM, said:

I'm not here to do anyone any favours when it comes to selling records. I'll list them for what I f***ing want, take it or leave it.

I'll f*cking leave it then.

Strange how people differ with this subject. When I first started buying records in the 70s I was lucky to have PETE WIDDISON as a good mate. He sold me and lots of mates, hundreds of good tunes at generous prices and introduced me to tons of amazing records that hooked me for life. I have always remembered that PETE would sell a mate a record he loved for considerably cheaper than what he could get for it, even back then. It meant a lot to me and other guys and was all part of the magical process of becoming involved with this scene.

Good job there were people like that, I say. Hope your new house is shaping up.wink.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Perhaps I should start a new thread with this but it seems to fit in quite well here.

One thing that has always interested me is how record prices are set.

I've only been collecting for just over 10 years (even tho I am 50+) and when I started I asked Pete S to put together a sales tape of cheap records with a list pricing them. I bought 5 or 6 for about a fiver each and thought I was mad to pay that much for records. I've still got them all I think.

But over the years, it has always intrigued me how records are priced, because there simply isn't any sound basis to it, particularly when you get past the £10 - £20 level (which are priced on how much it cost to get them from the states).

You may say it is supply and demand - but both go up and down all them time.

And at a certain level how do you distinguish between setting a price of say £800 or £1000? (Both are barking by the way whistling.gif ).

Who actually decides that a record is worth £100 or £150? There is no real basis for this distinction as it is difficult to tell what the supply or demand of a particular record at this level is. Some people would say they are common, others rare.

Does it come down to "what the market will bear"? If so then it is OK for people to put whatever price they want on records.

The price guides are no real indication as they are out of date before they are printed and were only produced to stop the flow of cheap records from the states.

Perhaps we could set criteria for different price brackets and then (as someone suggested) just slot records into these brackets and ask for offers. But then who determines that a record price should go up or down a bracket?

It has been said that the buyer determines the price but that is only the case when a seller is desperate to sell and there is probably only one buyer or when there are a number of buyers who desperately want the record. Once a record has been bought, that is one less potential buyer and record so should the price go up or down?

I was going to continue with this but I'm getting close to my old hobby horse of "the difference between value and price".

Interested to hear views on who decides what a record price should be.

Cheers

Paul

I think it's pretty much always down to the buyer - i.e. the one with the cash. Surely the simplest solution is for buyers to decide what they personally want to pay for a record and then offer it. The seller can then decide whether they want to accept the price offered or not or maybe counter with what they're willing to accept.

At the end of the day the buyer makes the choice as to whether they wish to proceed or not. No one's twisting their arms.

But this is a very fickle market. I've seen massive variations in what different people are willing to pay for a record. Some people get spooked. Some people take the price guides as gospel. Some people are more than happy just to get the damn record after years of trying and are willing to pay a premium in order to achieve that objective.

The obvious parallel is the art world and it's much the same in that arena - Andy Warhol's diaries are as good an insight as anything for a glimpse of all the factors involved in the constantly fluctuating art market.

However, I would argue that Northern Soul is a much harder market to predict. Andy Warhol KNEW how many original works he produced at any given time so he knew the relative rarity of his works, whereas no one really knows how many Don Gardners are out there do they?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

The obvious parallel is the art world and it's much the same in that arena - Andy Warhol's diaries are as good an insight as anything for a glimpse of all the factors involved in the constantly fluctuating art market.

However, I would argue that Northern Soul is a much harder market to predict. Andy Warhol KNEW how many original works he produced at any given time so he knew the relative rarity of his works, whereas no one really knows how many Don Gardners are out there do they?

Ian D biggrin.gif

When you think about it in terms of 'art' etc, it is only going to be a relatively small amount of years and a lot of these records are going to be officially bona-fide 'antiques'. I.E Articles of 50 years of age or over...Sobering thought that!g.gif

(Not quite sure what that will make their owners!!!thumbup.gif )

Social source share

Strange how people differ with this subject. When I first started buying records in the 70s I was lucky to have PETE WIDDISON as a good mate. He sold me and lots of mates, hundreds of good tunes at generous prices and introduced me to tons of amazing records that hooked me for life. I have always remembered that PETE would sell a mate a record he loved for considerably cheaper than what he could get for it, even back then. It meant a lot to me and other guys and was all part of the magical process of becoming involved with this scene.

Good job there were people like that, I say. Hope your new house is shaping up

great post :( top man who always treated the buyer with respect - well deserved mention :lol:

Social source share

It dont cost nothing to advertise your sales on here so maybe some sellers just try there luck and ask silly prices for records in whatever condition they maybe and hope they cash in, there are 2 records just recently put up for sale im desperate to own but are so highly priced i aint even bothered to make an offer no.gif

what does make me laugh is when JM prices are mentioned in a sales but if you mention recent ebay prices they are disgarded cos for some reason ebay dont count as a price guide but JM does rolleyes.gif

Social source share

My views on the subject are primarily generated from being a Buyer as I have not personally sold any records on Soul Source.

Are records on here overpriced ?

Seems to depend on the seller, as it does anywhere, internet, EvilBay or direct.

I get the feeling the prices are slightly above the norm, maybe because the seller knows that people on here are ready and keen buyers i.e. part of the speculation is removed, because if your looking to buy and make an enquiry you will, in all probability want the item. Maybe sellers are feeding off this desire and starting with higher prices.

There also seems to be a culture of "make me an offer". In this type of selling scenario, its very likely the seller will start high as he will almost certainly have to come down in price.

Personally, it just means, for me, that stated prices on Soul Source will all eventually become subject to "make an offer" which is a bit of a shame and insults those that do price genuinely and at fair values.

Maybe sales lists should be clear, "This is a fixed price list, discounts for quantity and for repeat customers" ; "This is a list priced but you can make an offer on any item".

A bit like EvilBay has Buy It Now and Make An Offer facilities.

Grading

Grading and price are without doubt linked.

One thing I did recently was open a box of uncirculated 1970s records that were all in company sleeves and unplayed. These were stone cold, 100% Mint.

It reminded what Mint is. Maybe we all need one on our desks to remember what Mint really is.

A universal Soul 45 Grading system would be useful if everyone worldwide would subscribe, but that unlikely. So the USA and UK systems are likely to continue, with others using their own hybrid system. To me the key thing is that the grading system is declared so I can soon get a feel for how the individual sellers grade against them.

Dealers I go back to tend to slighly undergrade items, so that I recieve an item for a fair price and am not disappointed by the grade. It sort of contradicts the desire for intially accuracy, but is perhaps more realistic !

Buying in person at events and fairs is best, if the portable deck is on hand, because then there can be no doubt. A good seller reacts to your feeling on grade and may negotiate accordingly. I have bought lesser grade items, where the price has come down after a quick play and as both of you are present, its hard to dispute after wards.

As to whether others should comment on prices in the forum, the answer to me is a clear yes, without doubt.

Its a forum open to free posting by members.

If its a private matter, then the discussion should be off forum, either via the pm system or off list altogether.

I think the discussion are indeed handy, because they assist in establishing what prices are fair and reasonable at the time (that is they increase information) and they help root out good and bad sellers, which surely must be good as a whole.

Social source share

My views on the subject are primarily generated from being a Buyer as I have not personally sold any records on Soul Source.

Are records on here overpriced ?

Seems to depend on the seller, as it does anywhere, internet, EvilBay or direct.

I get the feeling the prices are slightly above the norm, maybe because the seller knows that people on here are ready and keen buyers i.e. part of the speculation is removed, because if your looking to buy and make an enquiry you will, in all probability want the item. Maybe sellers are feeding off this desire and starting with higher prices.

There also seems to be a culture of "make me an offer". In this type of selling scenario, its very likely the seller will start high as he will almost certainly have to come down in price.

Personally, it just means, for me, that stated prices on Soul Source will all eventually become subject to "make an offer" which is a bit of a shame and insults those that do price genuinely and at fair values.

Maybe sales lists should be clear, "This is a fixed price list, discounts for quantity and for repeat customers" ; "This is a list priced but you can make an offer on any item".

A bit like EvilBay has Buy It Now and Make An Offer facilities.

Grading

Grading and price are without doubt linked.

One thing I did recently was open a box of uncirculated 1970s records that were all in company sleeves and unplayed. These were stone cold, 100% Mint.

It reminded what Mint is. Maybe we all need one on our desks to remember what Mint really is.

A universal Soul 45 Grading system would be useful if everyone worldwide would subscribe, but that unlikely. So the USA and UK systems are likely to continue, with others using their own hybrid system. To me the key thing is that the grading system is declared so I can soon get a feel for how the individual sellers grade against them.

Dealers I go back to tend to slighly undergrade items, so that I recieve an item for a fair price and am not disappointed by the grade. It sort of contradicts the desire for intially accuracy, but is perhaps more realistic !

Buying in person at events and fairs is best, if the portable deck is on hand, because then there can be no doubt. A good seller reacts to your feeling on grade and may negotiate accordingly. I have bought lesser grade items, where the price has come down after a quick play and as both of you are present, its hard to dispute after wards.

As to whether others should comment on prices in the forum, the answer to me is a clear yes, without doubt.

Its a forum open to free posting by members.

If its a private matter, then the discussion should be off forum, either via the pm system or off list altogether.

I think the discussion are indeed handy, because they assist in establishing what prices are fair and reasonable at the time (that is they increase information) and they help root out good and bad sellers, which surely must be good as a whole.

Great post thumbsup.gif

Well said that man!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

you can get some bargains and like already said,.. some are way over priced,.. same as buying at niters, you can get some proper bargains, but i find this method increasingly difficult, first of all in most niters its very difficult to see in the poor light, or pitch black, depending on which niter your at,.also trying to listen on the headphones is awkward when the musics blasting out alround you,..bet i,m not alone in thinking you,ve got a steal...only to be deflated in the cold light of day..and light, on the real condition, once you get outside.Back to soul source though, no ones forcing anyone to buy out, and it all depends if the seller is wanting a quick sale or not, if the records over priced, it disspears down the listing never to be seen again, if its on the money, someone will probably buy it.... any body noticed that some records are unsold at really bargain prices and then a couple of weeks later someone else list the same record 2 or 3 times the price...and it sells ..:tumbleweed3:

Social source share

Me....I'm hoping(even tho I've got a few bobs worth of vinyl)....that the whole inflated prices on records goes kaput and all 45's become more or less worthless..so even tho my collection will be worth zilch,I can afford to buy the 45's that I want :thumbup:whistling.gif

Social source share

Aren't we all missing the point, that a record actually has no worth in itself, it is only wrth what soemone is willing to pay for it. If blal blah by the blah blahs is only worth £25 but someone buys it at £50 then its worth £50, if however it goes for £150 then its obviously worth £150. There does appear to be a marked variation in pricing on the same item, but then thats business. Tescos pricing is different to Waitrose for the same item, but the customer has the choice, if you don't like the price, don't pay it, Simple.

As regards to grading, don't accept it at face value, ask the questions about te item first, if you don't get the right answers dont buy it.

Just my thoughts whistling.gif

Stebbo

Ain't gonna cry no more.mp3

Edited by Stebbo
Social source share

What am actually asking is are some sellers TREATING their customers like mugs with their pricings?

HI PETE,

its only me,kenny h. had to open another account.anyway wot these wuff. ha.cheers m8..kenny h.

post-11211-12546804483918_thumb.jpgpost-11211-12546805352214_thumb.jpg have a few more thou to put on,but i,ll just drop a few now n again,if ok. xkh.

Social source share

HI PETE,

its only me,kenny h. had to open another account.anyway wot these wuff. ha.cheers m8..kenny h.

post-11211-12546804483918_thumb.jpgpost-11211-12546805352214_thumb.jpg have a few more thou to put on,but i,ll just drop a few now n again,if ok. xkh.

It's hard to say mate as some of the photos are not great, there are some obvious boots in there like Gwen owens, Salvadors, but if you want anything valeuing you can always email me a list or just bring them over my house!

Social source share

I have picked up some good 45s on here at very good or even bargain prices yes.gif . I'm always looking for mint or near mint 45s too, so these records from here have also been in great condition.

I use price guides as just that - guides. They are useful for getting information on records I don't know about (normally info other than price) or that I haven't seen for sale much recently.

One of the key things that any serious collector needs to know about is pricing. Relying on somebody else for this is not a sound basis for collecting or selling IMVFHO. I always aim to be well-informed about prices and therefore trust my own judgement. I will only really use price guides as a reference point - or to try and negotiate someone down if they are asking for above book price on a rare item thumbsup.gif

I very occasionally pay over the 'book' or established market value - but only on true rarities that I think I may never get the chance of picking up again within a sensible timescale. Over the years that policy has always paid off because prices have tended to rise substantially during the gaps between seeing rare 45s on my wants list.

On the issue of overpriced common and readily found 45s, I just ignore them. A decent copy will come along at the right price sooner or later.

I guess people who pay too much just don't have a good handle on what is a fair price for the record, or signficantly on its true supply and availability (and so probably fall for comments like 'getting spins', ''disappeared - get this now' etc.).

As for poor condition grading - that really pisses me off boxing.gif . It is a basic competence of a collector or seller to grade well and honestly. If people lack experience or knowledge they can ask a mate, or consult established grading guidelines like Goldmine.

Label scans, decent digital photographs and unaltered soundfiles are a great help for anyone who is unsure about grading to use when selling.

IMO the most obvious reason for someone to regularly grade higher than actual condition is greed.

The bottom line for me on all this is that if I'm not happy with a purchase I expect the seller to take the record back and to give me a full 'no hassle' refund if necessary, or at least knock something off if it is unfairly graded. I expect this from any collector/seller who wants to be seen as having a good reputation. I always offer this myself if selling anything.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Well the figures in the poll tell us that yes, records sold on this site ARE overpriced, which is what I thought in the first place. Good to see some people admitting they are mugs who pay over the top prices :thumbup:

Time to close the topic then I think?

probably u right. you see buyers sometimes don't follow price guides (which on the other hand not always correct, need refreshment from time to time:))

but follow the trend (who changes also). if you say i want it now, most of the times u have to pay more

Social source share

probably u right. you see buyers sometimes don't follow price guides (which on the other hand not always correct, need refreshment from time to time:))

but follow the trend (who changes also). if you say i want it now, most of the times u have to pay more

No my friend.

The simple fact is that this site should be an area where punters can pick up a better buy because the overheads, i.e. fees, for sellers are minimised.

Unfortunately, apart from a few sellers who keep prices keen - same faces by the way - there are way too many people pricing well over the odds. 'Book ' price or no book price.

This trend, going on recent sales posts, is getting worse - maybe people trying to cash in on xmas.

If people are willing to pay the inflated prices then fair play it's their cash, but for me I'll wait ta..

Regards.. :thumbup:

Social source share

Personally I think the pricing is irrelevant - if you're buying on this site you can always make an offer if you like. But the grading is a big thing, although to be fair I've only been seriously disappointed once on this site and it was sorted out really quickly and well between us.

On the other hand, on ebay I sent back a practically unplayable record, never heard another word in spite of repeated emails, so eventually gave the seller negative feedback. But in those days he could respond, and the cheeky bugger put "buyer refunded in full, now completely happy" which gave me apoplexy....

Social source share

Personally I think the pricing is irrelevant - if you're buying on this site you can always make an offer if you like. But the grading is a big thing, although to be fair I've only been seriously disappointed once on this site and it was sorted out really quickly and well between us.

On the other hand, on ebay I sent back a practically unplayable record, never heard another word in spite of repeated emails, so eventually gave the seller negative feedback. But in those days he could respond, and the cheeky bugger put "buyer refunded in full, now completely happy" which gave me apoplexy....

With respect, if that's your motor pictured in your site id then money may be irrelevant to you but not for most folks.. :thumbup:

On the grading, your absolutely right!

Best.. biggrin.gif

Edited by ClearVinyl
Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

I wonder how many of the book prices really are accurate. Today I looked up Rosalind Madison - Neighbourhood girl on Liberty, a great record but not a rare one, at it's peak I sold it for £100, nowadays I'd ask £75, it's in the latest price guide at £150. This just doesn't make sense.

Pete, in my eyes your standards,morales, ethics & values are all about what attracted me to the Soul scene,these seem to be a dying thing.It seems a reflection of just how our society is in the the present day. A attiude of i'm allright Jack & F*k the rest. In my eyes Pete you reflect everything good in which was once a great scene. Right on Brother & Keep The Faith.

Social source share

On the matter of prices I have just tried to set my own buying benchmarks and through a bit of trial and error have settled on 50% of the ''published guide price'' for VG+ or however many +'s people add after VG these days - and I max at 75% of the guide price for Ex or better for a sound I kinda really really really want. It works for me and I think people just have to find their own level. On grading Ex should be pretty damn good thats for sure and for one I would not be too shy to demanding my money back if it wasn't.

Now what was the original question again ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Have not read all the thread but one thing that bugs me on here is sellers who suddenly ask for OFFERS on a not so rare 45s that has just popped up on certain " Auction" sites whistling.gif GREEDY F**KERS. i bet many a 45 has gone unsold for that reason.

Well said mate, I've questioned this policy loads of times, like when did THAT suddenly become rare? Answer: When John Manship auctioned it. Of course nobody wanted to buy it off me when it was only £20 :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert