Midlands Venues

Hi all after passing my driving test last year, ive been taking it easy with the distances ive been driving, but weve both now decided to move further affield next year, so can any of you kinf folk give me some tips on good venues in the midlands, preferably nighters, but dosn`t have to be, allthough i`m open minded with the music side of thing its good atmosphere combined with a friendly crowd i`m looking for. many thanks for any advice-HARRY & DIthumbup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Harry,

In no order of preference:-

Lifeline, Rugby (as you know), Loughborough.

3 that spring to mind immediately.

Hi all after passing my driving test last year, ive been taking it easy with the distances ive been driving, but weve both now decided to move further affield next year, so can any of you kinf folk give me some tips on good venues in the midlands, preferably nighters, but dosn`t have to be, allthough i`m open minded with the music side of thing its good atmosphere combined with a friendly crowd i`m looking for. many thanks for any advice-HARRY & DIthumbup.gif

Social source share

In my experience Harry, there isn't an established nighter that doesn't have something really enjoyable about it if you are open to the experience, regardless of your musical taste.

Best to try as many as you can, and work it out for yourself - it can often take a couple of trips to get the feel of a place.

According to the Allnighter Planner, coming up in the midlands(ish) next month or so we've got

Rugby

Kings Hall, Stoke

Nuneaton Co Op

Lifeline

Six Hills

Bishops Wood

Barnsley Stormin' Soul (not technically the midlands, but nearer to York in your signature than the others)

Bidds

and a few others that are still relatively new.

Rugby would be a great start for you next Saturday.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

In my opinion, Lifeline is by far the best Allnighter in the Country, in terms of keeping to the true spirit of Northern Soul, and, although slightly out of your catchment area, Bidds is regarded by many, as the most "Upfront" allnighter in the country. Opinions, maybe, but well worth checking out, to make your own mind up!!

Des

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Cheers tabs, ted, do any of these have website?

Check out United Sound of Soul, on til 4am. The website as follows: www.unitedsoundofsoul.co.uk

Martyn

Social source share

not niters ....but some superb soul nites east mids....(in no order) rolleyes.gif

kingsway hall.... forest town.

Grosvnor rooms ...sutton in ashfield

the shed ....beeston

federation .... sherwood rise, nottingham

central soul club..... lenton

robin hood ...edwinstow

forest town welfare .. forest town

rolls royce .. derby

and sooooooooo many others

all with a great atmosphere and dj' line ups....thumbsup.gif

pete n' susan KTF

Social source share

Not a nighter Harry but a great venue and easy for you and Di to reach , THE ATTIC , Mansfield . Just go and look in Feedback and read some of the playlist and quality DJ'S to see what i mean . Also Select soul at Burton-on-Trent , both worth the drive.

Tony

Social source share

not niters ....but some superb soul nites east mids....(in no order) rolleyes.gif

kingsway hall.... forest town.

Grosvnor rooms ...sutton in ashfield

the shed ....beeston

federation .... sherwood rise, nottingham

central soul club..... lenton

robin hood ...edwinstow

forest town welfare .. forest town

rolls royce .. derby

and sooooooooo many others

all with a great atmosphere and dj' line ups....thumbsup.gif

pete n' susan KTF

you forgot little old east kirkby there my good man boxing.gif lol

Social source share

you forgot little old east kirkby there my good man boxing.gif lol

sorry dave it was just before i went to work ... as is now ....soooooo

East kirkby soul club ...east kirkby

phoenix soul ..chesterfield

Bentinck soul club

Annesley soul club

pilsley soul

Barrow hill soul club

new voice soul club

inner city soul club ..derby

like i said sooooooo many round here...all quality !

sorry if i missed any but it's early... sleep3.gif and we don't do much modern whistling.gif lol

off to work now .......

pete n' susan x

Edited by casper
Social source share

sorry dave it was just before i went to work ... as is now ....soooooo

East kirkby soul club ...east kirkby

phoenix soul ..chesterfield

Bentinck soul club

Annesley soul club

pilsley soul

Barrow hill soul club

new voice soul club

inner city soul club ..derby

like i said sooooooo many round here...all quality !

sorry if i missed any but it's early... sleep3.gif and we don't do much modern whistling.gif lol

off to work now .......

pete n' susan x

some excellent venues here but, in the main, they all seem to close at 12:00 / 12:30 or, if one's lucky 01:00. it's as if the east mids venue managers turn into pumpkins at midnight!:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Thanks folks for your advice on here or via pms, as for early finishes we`d just get a b&b so no problems there, many thanksthumbup.gif

BEST

Tony C.br />

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

lifeline really is the only one worth attending in the midlands imo.....agree with DES bit further north,and although i've not managed to get there....Bidds has a great pedigree and folk l listen to (venue wise) and take note of....tell me so.It all depends on you're musical preference?............plenty of same ole venues to choose from..atb tezza

Social source share

lifeline really is the only one worth attending in the midlands imo.....agree with DES bit further north,and although i've not managed to get there....Bidds has a great pedigree and folk l listen to (venue wise) and take note of....tell me so.It all depends on you're musical preference?............plenty of same ole venues to choose from..atb tezza

More sweeping statements Tezz USOS and Bishops wood are excellent IMO and loads that GO there think the sameshades.gif

Social source share

Harry, i travel up to Lifeline from the south coast and would reccomend it as the best nighter music, venue and people wise thumbup.gif

Sunflower Lounge & USOS are defo worth attending too as they have late nights but not quite nighter times and musically superb too thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

You obviously don't get out enough Tezza, as there's some good venues in the Midlands whose music policy is exactly the same as Lifeline? And who use the same Lifeline dj's, playing exactly the same tunes.

Social source share

Maybe you should try going to some of these venues that have been mentioned before condemning them in your ignorance Terry?? There are some quality venues in the Midlands area that have an excellent music policy and you've just called them all rubbish!? Or do you only attend soul nights when your mates are on the DJ line up whistling.gif

As a blatant plug there is also Move On Soul Club in Coventry website: www.moveonsoulclub.co.uk which Terry has just called same old same old in his blanket statement....but Killa, Karl Heard, Des Parker and several upfront DJs will hopefully disagree and they have all been DJs for us but more important to me is they have also attended on nights when they have not been on the DJ line up.

Adam.

Social source share

.... there's some good venues in the Midlands whose music policy is exactly the same as Lifeline? And who use the same Lifeline dj's, playing exactly the same tunes.

Wouldn't that defy the object of trying to be different from the rest though Martin?

Lifeline is without doubt the best Northern nighter on the calender, and running bi-monthly works well in it's favour imo.

If other venues in the same locality merely aim to copy their 'blueprint' as such, they will surely all end up as predictable as all the oldies venues playing the same old same old?

Best to do your own thang imo.....or crash and burn trying.... laugh.gif

Social source share

some excellent venues here but, in the main, they all seem to close at 12:00 / 12:30 or, if one's lucky 01:00. it's as if the east mids venue managers turn into pumpkins at midnight!shades.gif

you know these venues Mick .... and you know what most of these venues are like....anyone who can survive relentless 100 mph for much over 3hours non stop needs to go for the olympics thumbup.gif ..............

pete n' susan

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Wouldn't that defy the object of trying to be different from the rest though Martin?

Lifeline is without doubt the best Northern nighter on the calender, and running bi-monthly works well in it's favour imo.

If other venues in the same locality merely aim to copy their 'blueprint' as such, they will surely all end up as predictable as all the oldies venues playing the same old same old?

Best to do your own thang imo.....or crash and burn trying.... laugh.gif

A good wine is a good wine regardless. I was trying to emphasise that some of the venues down here use Lifleine dj's, play tunes that are played at Lifeline, and music policy is the same as Lifeline. Quality. Not that we were exactly the same in every respect, as we all have our own slant on it. Again quality. As you well know Mace, all these little venues down here are slightly different to one another. That's what's made them successful.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Maybe you should try going to some of these venues that have been mentioned before condemning them in your ignorance Terry?? There are some quality venues in the Midlands area that have an excellent music policy and you've just called them all rubbish!? Or do you only attend soul nights when your mates are on the DJ line up whistling.gif

As a blatant plug there is also Move On Soul Club in Coventry website: www.moveonsoulclub.co.uk which Terry has just called same old same old in his blanket statement....but Killa, Karl Heard, Des Parker and several upfront DJs will hopefully disagree and they have all been DJs for us but more important to me is they have also attended on nights when they have not been on the DJ line up.

Adam.

Well said Adam. And despite what anyone on this thread says i'll be attending the next Move on, and prepared to open my mind. Some have given favourable reports, others not. But i'll make my own mind up, and not follow the sheep.

Whilst i respect people's views, they should give things a try rather than relying on heresay, rumour, or making blanket descriptions.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

For what its worth darcyboy, I admire your fierce dedication to talking utter bollocks.

Sorry Terry, but that is funny as feck:laugh:

Edited by Chris Waterman
Social source share

Well said Adam. And despite what anyone on this thread says i'll be attending the next Move on, and prepared to open my mind. Some have given favourable reports, others not. But i'll make my own mind up, and not follow the sheep.

Whilst i respect people's views, they should give things a try rather than relying on heresay, rumour, or making blanket descriptions.

Martyn

Look forward to seeing you there Martyn thumbsup.gif . All you can ask as a promoter is that people give you a chance and attend the venue....if you like it great, if it's not to your tastes then no problem but thanks for giving it a go. You're never going to make everyone happy! Been trying to get to USOS since you moved venues, if not the next then I will def be at the one after.....at least I might stop Fingers nagging at me to go then :laugh: .

Social source share

As Matt and Adam have both stated "Move On" is an excellent night, not afraid to push the boundries, "The Sunflower Lounge" is another excellent night out, with yet again a very progressive outlook, and as Ted rightly says "Bishops Wood" is another superb nighter, not afraid to play something a little different. I have to smile, when I see the words "quality" used as a selling point, I'd like to meet a promoter who says they DON'T play "quality" stuff in their venue laugh.gif The irony is, I use the term myself g.gif

Des

Edited by SOUL.INC
Social source share

C'mon guys,this is about getting Harry up and down the country giving lifts - sorry visiting venues.biggrin.gif .Don't let the Darc Lord into your psyche!!!.laugh.gif

You can try the Attic anytime Harry,but be warned we need our beds at 12.30am.thumbsup.gif.

Of course if you're thinking of going to a niter after and there's a spare seat...whistling.gif

Social source share

As has already been said there are loads of venues in the West and East Midlands, some good and some not so good.

Out of the nighters I have tried Lifeline, Rugby and Bidds are all good.

Soul night's I have visited and rate include The Attic, Sunflower Lounge, USOS, Bentinck, The Modern Room and our own Select Soul night at The Craythorne.

All promotors push their own venues as quality nights but I find the best thing is to look in lookbacks and see what the punters say. We have been lucky enough to have had some of the countrys top DJ's say some very nice things about our night

Social source share

Guest bigbouncyal

As has already been said there are loads of venues in the West and East Midlands, some good and some not so good.

Out of the nighters I have tried Lifeline, Rugby and Bidds are all good.

Soul night's I have visited and rate include The Attic, Sunflower Lounge, USOS, Bentinck, The Modern Room and our own Select Soul night at The Craythorne.

All promotors push their own venues as quality nights but I find the best thing is to look in lookbacks and see what the punters say. We have been lucky enough to have had some of the countrys top DJ's say some very nice things about our night

Social source share

Guest bigbouncyal

i would like to recomend the cream cracker at rothwell northants i went to the very first northern soul night they had there and four years on have not missed one the music is brilliant the dj are diffrent every time the music policy is for every body it just seems to get better and better and kev and karen that run it make you so wellcome it has to be won of the best northern soul venues on big bouncy al

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Ah, I see :unsure: .....it was the double use of the phrase 'exactly the same' in your earlier post that clouded my understanding.... :huh:

Exactly the same....but different. :thumbup:

Don't bite Kev.... :P:lol:

Sorry Mace, i got the stutters.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Cor you lot get wound up real quick......it's so easy lol:D .Firstly Harry said in his original post PREFERABLY NIGHTERS so thats what l mentioned two nighters one of which l ain't been to,but i'm told is top.Of course there are soul nights that play the kinda stuff l like and are very good,BUT just coz l didn't mention em doesn't mean they are crap you are just reading what ain't there to suit yourselves:wink: .Two other people have gone as far as saying lifeline is the best allnighter in the country and you ain't said diddlysquat to them.I said lifeline is the best allnighter in the midlands IMO....or have we all decided l can't have one...As far as infering that all the other venues are same ole,same ole.....what crap......l mean't that there are out there in the midlands just like the rest of the country.........lots of venues that are as they say same old same old get it now:wink:.As for talking bollox l love it:D ........far better than posting one opinion on here and saying something else when folk are out and about lol......atb tezza

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Cor you lot get wound up real quick......it's so easy lol:D .Firstly Harry said in his original post PREFERABLY NIGHTERS so thats what l mentioned two nighters one of which l ain't been to,but i'm told is top.Of course there are soul nights that play the kinda stuff l like and are very good,BUT just coz l didn't mention em doesn't mean they are crap you are just reading what ain't there to suit yourselves:wink: .Two other people have gone as far as saying lifeline is the best allnighter in the country and you ain't said diddlysquat to them.I said lifeline is the best allnighter in the midlands IMO....or have we all decided l can't have one...As far as infering that all the other venues are same ole,same ole.....what crap......l mean't that there are out there in the midlands just like the rest of the country.........lots of venues that are as they say same old same old get it now:wink:.As for talking bollox l love it:D ........far better than posting one opinion on here and saying something else when folk are out and about lol......atb tezza

We all owe you a massive apology Tezza.

Social source share

Two other people have gone as far as saying lifeline is the best allnighter in the country and you ain't said diddlysquat to them.

I dunno about that Terry, Des Parker called me a c**t :unsure::huh:

We'll be sharing a hotel room in the States in 9 days....behopes he doesn't sleep with his mouth open cus he'll find out what a proper c**t I can be :thumbup::lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert