• Replies 18
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Who was the 'Plus One'?

might be talking out of my rear end Joan, but they worked with Lorraine Chandler, and it was said years ago that it was her input that they wanted to acknowledge. The reason was supposed to be that she had contracts that prevented her name being used by another label.

As I say it's probably BS, but that's the legend I remember.

john

( I never know whether it's worth bringing out these old stories, many of which were at best only partly based in truth, with a lot of Niter Record Bar guesses added imho? the net has expanded our true knowledge, but if we don't note the early ideas they will be lost forever, but would that be a bad thing ? )

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

By the seventies the line up was

Jay Johnson, Bill Frazier, VernonWilliams, Sylvester Potts for the JMC release - If It Wasn't For My Baby

Edited by REVILOT
Social source share

Thanks guys.

The girlie romantic in me really likes the Lorraine Chandler story :lol:

Plus there is the connection with 'Tell Me Your Mine'.

That said, you can hear there is a different vocal on TMYM when you compare it to the vocals on 'Easier Said Than Done'.

Well, these ears can hear one anyway :D

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

You are ok in this instance John :lol:

Very gracious of you :D

I had also always thought Lorraine was the plus one but it was Johnny Dixon. It was agreed that he would be named as "plus one" for he was still planning a solo carreer.

They did perform live at some Detroit venues on the same night as Lorraine

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

By the seventies the line up was

Jay Johnson, Bill Frazier, VernonWilliams, Sylvester Potts for the JMC release - If It Wasn't For My Baby

What i've always wondered was, who is the female accompanying the group on this release? As it's certainly not one of the above.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

What i've always wondered was, who is the female accompanying the group on this release? As it's certainly not one of the above.

Martyn

Ahhhh - yes - you are right Martyn

Bill Frazier left the group before the JMC 45 and was replaced Gloria Sykes

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Ahhhh - yes - you are right Martyn

Bill Frazier left the group before the JMC 45 and was replaced Gloria Sykes

John is there a pic somewhere of the new lineup? Got the old one with the original lineup.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

John is there a pic somewhere of the new lineup? Got the old one with the original lineup.

Martyn

HI Martyn

Sorry. I do not have a pic of the later line up, will keep a look around for you though

Social source share

might be talking out of my rear end Joan, but they worked with Lorraine Chandler, and it was said years ago that it was her input that they wanted to acknowledge. The reason was supposed to be that she had contracts that prevented her name being used by another label.

As I say it's probably BS, but that's the legend I remember.

john

( I never know whether it's worth bringing out these old stories, many of which were at best only partly based in truth, with a lot of Niter Record Bar guesses added imho? the net has expanded our true knowledge, but if we don't note the early ideas they will be lost forever, but would that be a bad thing ? )

Fuel to the fire?

https://cgi.ebay.com/FOUR-SONICS-Where-Are-You-IN-DEMAND-NR-MINT_W0QQitemZ290346756576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Records?hash=item439a03e9e0&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

FOUR SONICS

WHERE ARE YOU / BLUE VELVET

TRIPLE B 0002

Near mint. Plays loud and clear.

Some very light edge wear to label (see scan).

In-demand Detroit Northern Soul.

Apparently one or more of these guys were Lorraine Chandlers cousin's and as you can see by the credits, she along with Jack Ashford co-wrote this atmospheric Detroit killer.

Allegedly this actual copy came from Lorraine Chandler's garage which I bought from a reputable dealer some 6 years or so ago after he met and acquired a 50 stock box from her. I can't confirm that with any proof but I know he did meet her and so have no reason to believe otherwise. Nice bit of history of where this originated from eh !?!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert