Ever Asked A Dj For A Request

ImberBoy

Ever asked a DJ for a request and they tell you the usual?

Well I have been asking for a certain record to be played up and down the Nighter circuit for some time and the night it gets played I miss it when flitting from room to room.

The track I want to hear and dance to aint too high brow in fact to many it's a little low brow and well and truly into the Divvey District, my requested tune is Mood Mosaic - A Touch Of Velvet A Sting Of Brass and Diane Djdivadi Crosby is going to play it for me this Saturday at Rugby!!!

Any one else ever had to work hard to get a track played? Thanks Diane!! XX, see ya Saturday

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

AM I whistling If i've got something i'll play it , i'm not too above myself to think that any record shouldnt be played so bring it on , its a great record and the LOUDER the better :thumbup: but Simon you better keep the southern comforts flowing :laugh: xxxxxx

Social source share

Perhaps it's something like certain artists not taking requests from the audience, that if they played said request, it might throw the concert off-kilter, a bit like an Elvis fan hearing 'are you lonesome tonight' instead of 'baby let's play house' or 'good rockin' tonite' before the acoustic set of killer dillers like 'I can't help falling in love with you' and 'old shep' in the second half. I personally don't think a DJ should be 'obliged' to play requests, as they can and do get out of hand with an endless stream of well-intentioned folk approaching the decks, especially when the beer/gear kicks in.

Social source share

Perhaps it's something like certain artists not taking requests from the audience, that if they played said request, it might throw the concert off-kilter, a bit like an Elvis fan hearing 'are you lonesome tonight' instead of 'baby let's play house' or 'good rockin' tonite' before the acoustic set of killer dillers like 'I can't help falling in love with you' and 'old shep' in the second half. I personally don't think a DJ should be 'obliged' to play requests, as they can and do get out of hand with an endless stream of well-intentioned folk approaching the decks, especially when the beer/gear kicks in.

Are you seriously comparing DJing with artists performing live? :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

very rarely cos i have most of the things i wana hear , i have however asked mik parry to play "don't make me mad " and he always obliges :-)

Social source share

I can honestly say that's never been a problem for me :thumbup:

It's never been one for me either.

I've 'put records on' a few times, but DJ in the true sense of the word no.

I've always felt for those DJs you see furiously rooting through their boxes

only to be badgered every 45 seconds by serial requesters.

But then again I'm awful at multi-tasking

anyway. :D

Social source share

Have certainly asked folk for stuff over the years, particularly in the days when you had to travel to hear the fella with the exclusives you loved (and they've usually obliged to be fair). As a youth, have also made a knob of myself on numerous occasions asking for what I thought a record was called and, horrifically, might even have tried to sing the odd line on a couple of occasions no.gif

I will always remember one of the very few occasions that I've been on the receiving end of a request and, as they go, it was a beauty. It was somewhere in deepest, darkest Yorkshire as I recall when, three records in - think they were Royal Robins, Chansonettes and summat else - a clearly disgruntled lady came and requested, ever so politely mind, that I should "play some fookin northern." tumbleweed3.gif I'll get me coat ...

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Have certainly asked folk for stuff over the years, particularly in the days when you had to travel to hear the fella with the exclusives you loved (and they've usually obliged to be fair). As a youth, have also made a knob of myself on numerous occasions asking for what I thought a record was called and, horrifically, might even have tried to sing the odd line on a couple of occasions no.gif

I will always remember one of the very few occasions that I've been on the receiving end of a request and, as they go, it was a beauty. It was somewhere in deepest, darkest Yorkshire as I recall when, three records in - think they were Royal Robins, Chansonettes and summat else - a clearly disgruntled lady came and requested, ever so politely mind, that I should "play some fookin northern." tumbleweed3.gif I'll get me coat ...

I've done that. At the 100 club a while ago i'd already asked Butch to play a record (which he played:D) & didn't want to go up again so i asked Warren Boogaloo to go up & ask for one, can't remember what it was now but whatever i told Warren it was called it was completely wrong & just the thought of watching him trying to request it still makes me laugh! Sorry Warren!:thumbup:

Social source share

Remember about 10 years ago asking Bob Hinsley - who was guesting at a local soul night - to play the Trends, which was massive for him at the time.

He thought about it, then said OK but you'd better dance to it...

He was right, guess who was the only one dancing whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

Oh yes. And often.

What I can never understand is when you are somewhere that's not very busy ie: no one dancing, and you ask for a request that you know they have and yet they still don't bloody play it!

WTF that all about? laugh.gif

blackpool weekender ,one sat afternoon, no more than 40 in the entire room floor empty, i asked kenny burrell for john an the weirdest, no time, i know he has it , says he wont play it so i asked him why, his answer," cos i dont like it." Asked butch for same at 100 club, "er i,ll have a look says golden bollocks, did he play it,? I have NEVER had a request played for me,AND YET, at wilton on friday night, talkin to a mate while he,s browsin Roger Banks sales boxes, so i idly follow suit, i see loads of chess and checker labels , remindin me i like fontella bass, i ask roger if he has it, after couple minutes of him lookin he says sorry, thought i had 3 others by her but not,"i cant rest. 5 minute later as he starts his spot, he plays one of his rare tunes then says from that to a cheap tune you can get for a tenner, and plays i cant rest by fontella bass. so i think fuck it, if the dj likes it and knows others do ,he,ll play it, whether its requested or not. if he thinks your a tosser and wouldnt know a good tune if he threw it at you, or if he thinks his credibility will suffer if he,plays it, forget it.

Social source share

Guest kev such

NO NAMES.

But was out last night and speaking to some people outside the venue having a smoke. I said that if I do the last spot at the Cracker it usually turns into a request spot, which is perfectly fine by me.

As when at a venue you may hope to hear certain tune and if said tune hasnt been played by the time the last spot has started. Thats the time maybe to approach the DJ and fullfill you wish before nights end and one of the group said "stuff that, I never play requests thats not what Im there to do". g.gif Puzzling to me.

Regards

Kev

Social source share

I once famously went on the stage at Wigan and requested Keith stop playing so much Britiah pop. :thumbsup:

you should have been awarded a medal of distinction then steve,

bet it was barry benson, barry st. john, helen shapiro, peggy march etc, right?

Edited by macca
Social source share

a few years ago at skegvegas we took a close friend who wasnt (at that time) into NS..

anyway he asked me about a certain instrumental and I mischeviously told him it was called tinned tomatoes and the artist was called cirio

he promptly jumped on the stage and asked Ian Gee to play said record , the look on Ians face and my mates expression had us in stitches for the rest of the w/end whistling.gif

Social source share

I'm always asking for tunes and they always play them. Mind you I do try and request something that I know they've got/fits with the set so far and that I reckon lots of people will dance to. And a quick squeeze of the DJ's arse while they look through their box always seems to focus their mind on finding it funnily enough. Except when it's Joan.

Social source share

And a quick squeeze of the DJ's arse while they look through their box always seems to focus their mind on finding it funnily enough. Except when it's Joan.

Any blokes reading that useful tip who've never met her, I would strongly advise against taking that approach with JumpinJoan.

Don't worry though fellers - the Attic lads are renowned for their relaxed, open-minded, touchy-feely deck management.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Dj's should play all requests if they have them and i at times have asked for Sam Cooke and know the DJ has it and dad does ask and they say will play and then it never gets played and i feel cheesed off knowing it will be danced to. so what if it's always requested i still want to hear it

i have asked for records they don't have and then lucky when a dj has it plays it. we are paying customers and therefor we should get what we want or say we won't come back again

Social source share

Dj's should play all requests if they have them and i at times have asked for Sam Cooke and know the DJ has it and dad does ask and they say will play and then it never gets played and i feel cheesed off knowing it will be danced to. so what if it's always requested i still want to hear it

i have asked for records they don't have and then lucky when a dj has it plays it. we are paying customers and therefor we should get what we want or say we won't come back again

So if the dj plays Sam Cooke (i guess you mean Sugar Dumpling?),then someone else asks him for "Do what you feel" - Rimshots,then Jimmy Ricks "You're the boss",then World Column "So is the sun",,, its going to flow?.Are the crowd goiing to enjoy being thrown around genres and styles?.What if the guys an oldies/r nb/crossover etc man.....do you still ask him for the same records you want to hear?....

Social source share

Paul, if all dj's played everything requested it would make for a disjointed set, and you'd end up hearing Frank Wilson every 30 minutes...I'm happy to take requests and work them in if they fit into the flow of what I'm doing, but if not I just tell 'em that the next DJ is going to play it!whistling.gif

Social source share

I asked a certain dj for a request the once, knowing full well that he had it in his playbox at the time,but he said why should i play it just to please one person on the dancefloor.So with that i said ok then don't play it,or words to that affect lol :thumbup: and went outside cos i was fuming and when i came back in i was told that he had played it whilst i was outside and that it filled the dancefloor. whistling.gif

Social source share

You KNOW...it's the one that goes...and it bears no resemblance to anything you've ever heardshades.gif

:thumbup: I get dissapointed when someone asks me for a request and i ain't got it in me box :lol: so last time i deejayed this chap was asking for this that an the other and i didn't have them,so told him to look through the box and pick summat out.Also i had a chap give me a track listing from a cd he had and fortunately i had quite a few of em,so chose one and played it for him. I know how frustrating it is when theres a particular tune you just wanna hear and the dj ain't got em.So the best thing i've found now is to look at what the dj's pulled up to play and choose something from them,if thes something you fancy,and that way its not detracting from what he/she intended to play anyway. biggrin.gif

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

One good thing about Scooter Rallys... quite oftern they just want their club name over the Mic... so they ask for any thing for the "whatever Scooter club"..

so you don't have to break your flow....

and to be honest it's not always the Snake or DILY... some times its the nightrolleyes.gif only joking...

Theres some very knowledgeable people on the scooter scene...but thats another thread...

Social source share

One good thing about Scooter Rallys... quite oftern they just want their club name over the Mic... so they ask for any thing for the "whatever Scooter club"..

so you don't have to break your flow....

and to be honest it's not always the Snake or DILY... some times its the nightrolleyes.gif only joking...

Theres some very knowledgeable people on the scooter scene...but thats another thread...

Rob Smith was once asked to play some "mormon soul" biggrin.gif

The oddest request I ever had was "Can I have my shoe back please?" After a polyvelt flew onto the stage and landed on the deck after a spin by the dancer went pear shaped.

Social source share

I have, over the last 10 years or so, had a great time asking just about every dj to play ruby winters-like a yoyo. The usual reply is after a couple of seconds in thought ,"thats a great sound, but I dont have it with me". I must have asked easily a 100 dj`s for this, and the winners were, (those who actually had the disc with them and played it )

mark f. bedworth + nuneaton

steve banbury

? at the wheel (well it would get spun there, wouldn`t it)

I`ve stopped doing it now as I`m fed up with the dissapointment but when it was played always got people on the floor

Social source share

I have, over the last 10 years or so, had a great time asking just about every dj to play ruby winters-like a yoyo. The usual reply is after a couple of seconds in thought ,"thats a great sound, but I dont have it with me". I must have asked easily a 100 dj`s for this, and the winners were, (those who actually had the disc with them and played it )

mark f. bedworth + nuneaton

steve banbury

? at the wheel (well it would get spun there, wouldn`t it)

I`ve stopped doing it now as I`m fed up with the dissapointment but when it was played always got people on the floor

Jules,i'd play it for ya :thumbup: its a quality tune and always in my playbox :unsure:

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Ever asked a DJ for a request and they tell you the usual?

Well I have been asking for a certain record to be played up and down the Nighter circuit for some time and the night it gets played I miss it when flitting from room to room.

The track I want to hear and dance to aint too high brow in fact to many it's a little low brow and well and truly into the Divvey District, my requested tune is Mood Mosaic - A Touch Of Velvet A Sting Of Brass and Diane Djdivadi Crosby is going to play it for me this Saturday at Rugby!!!

Any one else ever had to work hard to get a track played? Thanks Diane!! XX, see ya Saturday

Simon. After you asked me to play it at Winsford ( didnt have it with me ) I trawled thru the attic to find it. Took it to the following Winsford and guess what you didnt turn up :ohmy: But i wont tell anyone :no:whistling Hope you finally get your dream come true at Rugby mate and hope to see you soon :thumbup:

Steve

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

A while back a DJ showed up with one of those Mp3 boxes, claiming that he could play any record anyone could possibly ask for. My sister took him on with a list of the most obscure records you can imagine. He was well pissed off.

Last month she went to a party and the DJ claimed that he could play any record ever recorded. She tried again, but this guy was good. Then she noticed that he appeared to be playing everything on a laptop PC. Crafty bugger was on the interweb downloading everything she asked for. So she thought she'd get him by asking for the original version of Yeke-yeke, figuring he wouldn't even be able to spell the title, let alone 'Mory Kante', but he still came through with the goods.

Funny thing though. When he played it the dancefloor just took off, and he didn't have anything to follow it with.

If I'd been there I'd have asked for Fela Kuti's 'Army arrangement'. :no:

Social source share

So she thought she'd get him by asking for the original version of Yeke-yeke, figuring he wouldn't even be able to spell the title, let alone 'Mory Kante', but he still came through with the goods.

'Scuse my ignorance, but is Yeke Yeke classed as northern?

It wasnt when I used to play it when it first came out......

Social source share

nope . for the simple reason i havnt got a clue what anything is or who its by :no:

Sarah

You could do what I've done in the past (cos I cant retain much information bout records. Shoes & handbags ... YES ! records sadly no even tho I have tried) Go up & say "can you play that thingy mi bob by who-ji-mi-callit .. you know the one .... it goes ra ra la la shoop shoop biddum biddum love something or other"

More often than not the d.j cant hear you anyway & just says politely "oh I havent got that one in mi box" or if the d.j is a bit of tease will tell you they'll play it next :laugh::laugh:

Ali xxx

P.S

Ooh if you're wondering why my Avatar is spinning discs. Its not cos I know shXt loads bout records (cos I dont & Im not ashamed to admit it) Its just I like "Little Miss" T-shirts & bought it thinking she was wearing trendy ear-muffs & making pizza's :laugh:

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

Sarah

You could do what I've done in the past (cos I cant retain much information bout records. Shoes & handbags ... YES ! records sadly no even tho I have tried) Go up & say "can you play that thingy mi bob by who-ji-mi-callit .. you know the one .... it goes ra ra la la shoop shoop biddum biddum love something or other"

More often than not the d.j cant hear you anyway & just says politely "oh I havent got that one in mi box" or if the d.j is a bit of tease will tell you they'll play it next :laugh::laugh:

Ali xxx

P.S

Ooh if you're wondering why my Avatar is spinning discs. Its not cos I know shXt loads bout records (cos I dont & Im not ashamed to admit it) Its just I like "Little Miss" T-shirts & bought it thinking she was wearing trendy ear-muffs & making pizza's :laugh:

ill be brave . YES i CAN do it . ( il be scared inside though :shhh: ) he he

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

'Scuse my ignorance, but is Yeke Yeke classed as northern?

It wasnt when I used to play it when it first came out......

Absolutely not (But I would argue it's soul). The point is though that the guy reckoned he could play any record ever recorded, which was why my sister picked it. She didn't expect him to actually have the thing, let alone play it.

In the event it turned out to be the biggest hit of the night measured by the number of feet it got onto the dance floor.

Edited by JJMMWGDuPree
Social source share

Guest sarahleen

Sarah

More often than not the d.j cant hear you anyway & just says politely "oh I havent got that one in mi box" or if the d.j is a bit of tease will tell you they'll play it next laugh.giflaugh.gif

Ali xxx

P.S

Ooh if you're wondering why my Avatar is spinning discs. Its not cos I know shXt loads bout records (cos I dont & Im not ashamed to admit it) Its just I like "Little Miss" T-shirts & bought it thinking she was wearing trendy ear-muffs & making pizza's laugh.gif

"recorded between 1966 and 1975(sept) .with an uptempo and varied percussion (tom toms tambourines ect) loads of high hat and snare with a funky rolling bassline, choppy guitars ,strings (but but not soppy ones ), horns going pa pa paaaaaa (discordant but in tune !) a slight pyschedelic tinge (not essential but preferred ) soaring vocals with a backing "oooooh oooooh baby baby ". . ."ah !1 2 UHH" or both . all the above high in the mix running through the song concurrently but in a consecutive way throughout but of course subtle too with quiet bits , er sort of thingy .

lyrics about anything really , but NOT anything posh (of course duuuurrrr ) .must sound 60s and 70s together but not classed as an oldie or a newie . ( forget crossover cos no one knows what that means anyway ,we all just pretend we do ). definately NOT doowop , boogaloo and NOT RnB but having said that RnB to the bone and if it all gets jazz funky in any way whatsoever im catching the next bus 'ome . oh and i almost forgot , a cowbell too . cheers mate il get you a half then "

whats so hard to understand about that ? honestly youd think a northern soul dancefloor was the hardest thing in the world to please woudnt you . bloody djs eh ? tut no.gif

Edited by sarahleen
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert