Siblings And Soul

Sheldonsoul

whilst attending a soul night at the hare and hounds ,kings heath birmingham. me and the missus ended up taking our 19 year old daughter and 21 year old boyfriend (who were both at a lose end) with us. over the course of the night they really enjoyed it, and started asking when the next one was. since then every time they come to our house they are asking me to play some tunes eg they love willie tee ony way street, brenda holloway when im gone,williams & watson to late,and yes you guessed it frank wilson. the daughters boyfriend has decks anyway has a 12 inch garage ,house etc freak and quite often dj"s at local pubs/clubs in brum, funny thing was they came round yesterday to purposely borrow some records off mewhistling.gif and also started lookin on e bay for things like willie tee etc.

i am quite amazed it all this that 2 kids of this age who are really getting into our scene,then again i was even younger when i started going to wigan/yate and other niters.

can these kids really be the future off our scene?

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I don't have kids, but the idea of sharing

your parents/grandparents' taste in music was

unthinkable for most of us in our youth, right?

For me, one thing is appreciating the music, for example

I've borrowed my dad's Lena Horne albums, but

another thing perhaps is attending events where the majority

of folk are close to or have passed their half century (yikes).

At the end of the day, if these youngsters feel comfortable

in this environment, then fine. You should tell 'em to travel

to continental Europe if they want to see a younger crowd,

then they'll be well and truly hooked. :-)

Mac

Social source share

Interesting, my kids don't like the music.

My son quite liked Royal Esquires because he thought it was a bit 'drum and bassy' :thumbup: When he went out with a girl who liked northern he got into a bit of it, but it was only because the girl liked it.

My daughter liked a few of those eco Artists from a few years ago when I got her the CD's India arie etc. but basically no from me and my kids.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

i am quite amazed it all this that 2 kids of this age who are really getting into our scene,then again i was even younger when i started going to wigan/yate and other niters.

can these kids really be the future off our scene?

Let's hope so!! :thumbup:

I think the fact that they are getting into the music and discovering records by themselves and not having the tunes forced on them is a major plus.

My parents taste in music was Jim Reeves, Perry Como etc. and certainly did not appeal to me but i did take an interest in my older brother's taste in music

(he was a mod and into bands like The Who, The Jam, Small Faces etc. which naturally progressed to Soul music) which led me to all this insanity. :D

So maybe good taste begins at home, good post by the way.

Social source share

me playing my tunes over the years must have rubbed off on my 12 year old son, he wanted a cd burning for him to take away, on it he requested, the ramones, eminem, akon, picture me gone and i,m stepping out of the picture thumbsup.gif oh well 2 out of 5 is a start,

on the other hand when i commented to my teenage daughter that the track she was playing contained a sample of one of my fave jazz funk tracks, she immediately said "oh my god" stopped playing it saying she never liked it anyway

Social source share

Whatever we think it will be....... it will probabaly be different to that.

Like lots on here, NS is at the core of me but I've a varied taste for music. I've been going to festivals for a long, long time. At V fetsival (Stafford) and Leeds this summer (?) with my daughter. My son was at Leeds but as he's 19 only saw him once and that was him pretending not to be hammered. The point of my post is this: I'm finding a lot of "mainstream" music very dull at the moment. I usually enjoy the smaller tents at festivals to see who's coming through, not this year (Kid Brittain were ok). Left me with a thought that in a deprived time (ok, obviously my taste and opinion) for anything new and exciting, northern soul in all its guises could be quite attractive for a new generation. I'm sure it was the pop crap of the early 70s that ended with punk but propelled me into northern. (of course there are some exceptions to that generalisation).

Just an opinion.

Social source share

they have even asked me if they can come to rugby sat nite with me, so if any one sees a bald guy with two young uns say hellothumbup.gif

They'll be very welcome, we like em young...thumbup.gif

None of our three would ever admit to liking our music but the 11 year old was singing along to Prophets - (If I Had) One Gold Piece not long ago, so I asked if he liked it.

"Of course not, I've just heard it that may times, I knew the words"...laugh.gif

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
Social source share

Mine and Dave's nephew Andrew Molloy is in his early twenties and shows all the signs of taking after his Uncle Dave in having impeccable taste, amazing knowledge and being an all round top bloke. Maybe we will see a younger version of "The Soul Twats" emerge in the future!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert