The First Record You Ever Paid Big Money For

Guest TONY ROUNCE

£200 for chapter five,,,,still remember how excited i was when i oredered it and he said he got it.............then realised a few hours later - how am i going to pay for it?????

Chapter Five for me as well Mark.

Paid £150 and was on about £60 a week at the time.

Still got it.

Mind you, once that 3 figure barrier gets broken there's no looking back is there.

'Kin records.... :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was earning about £15 a week in 1976 and was at a Notts Palais alldayer. Had £20 on me and got offered Lilly Bryant on Tayster and Doni Burdick on Sound Impressions both £20 each. Chose the the Doni Burdick and went home skint.

As Mace says it's when you break that £100 figure that you really are off on that long slippery slope. Remember I paid £100 to John Powney for a copy of Carol Anderson on Whip in 1995 and not managed to get off the slippery slope since then. :thumbup:

Mark

Social source share

Never yet entered into three figures, thankfully, but if memory serves me correctly, 20 pounds for Willie Kendricks- Change Your Ways- RCA demo, of Mr Hampsey, Windmill, sheffield, early 80's. Apologies, if off record, but did you( ernie andrew) work with Rick Cooper at global, as I took over, after he went to Robinsons. I got a few records, ie Magnetics- I have a girl, Harry Starr, (5 copies), 2 George Kirbys, before Roger Banks and John Beecher got the bulk. Maybe, another thread, the history of global. All the best, to all collectors.

Social source share

My first big money purchase turned up from America and was one-sided.

No One Can Else Can Take Your Place - The Inspirations (Breakthrough)

74/75 - from Bob Catanneo in Daly City,San Fancisco.

Cost me £30 which was a lot at the time and Bob ,who I was getting loads of stuff from, insisted I buy it blind, wouldn't even play it down phone, but insisted it would blow my mind - which of course it did.Was first copy in the UK and I used to play it at the Ritz All-Dayers until persuaded by the North Wales crew I should sell it, probably in 76, for £125 I think.

Almost persuaded the owner of the label to sell me another copy for $50 in 1979 when at his place in LA, but in the end felt lucky to get out of the place in one piece, never mind without the record.

Social source share

The first couple of records costing me 'big' money was a red & white UK demo of Dr Love by Bobby Sheen for £20 - this was in 1983, when my take-home pay was £65. Followed that up a couple of months later with a Bobby Kline for £22 from Ian Clark.

The first record to take me past the £50 mark was "I Won't Let Her See Me Cry" by Big Frank & The Essences on Blue Rock, which came from Ray Evans in North Wales for £55 - January 1985.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

The first couple of records costing me 'big' money was a red & white UK demo of Dr Love by Bobby Sheen for £20 - this was in 1983, when my take-home pay was £65. Followed that up a couple of months later with a Bobby Kline for £22 from Ian Clark.

I've always regretted not getting Bobby Kline off Ian in 1980 when he was listing it for 8 pounds!

Social source share

Cost me £30 which was a lot at the time and Bob ,who I was getting loads of stuff from, insisted I buy it blind, wouldn't even play it down phone, but insisted it would blow my mind - which of course it did.Was first copy in the UK and I used to play it at the Ritz All-Dayers until persuaded by the North Wales crew I should sell it, probably in 76, for £125 I think.

Almost persuaded the owner of the label to sell me another copy for $50 in 1979 when at his place in LA, but in the end felt lucky to get out of the place in one piece, never mind without the record.

Ya Neil. I owned it after (via Colin & Sam), Barry Waddington got the 2nd copy late 79/early 80. Richard got it off him in swops & cash.

I got some great stuff off Bob C. I got M.Champion off him blind, you can't believe how good it felt when Colin 1st played it at the Mecca covered up as Jodi Williams.

I remember running around the Highland Room, telling people I knew, I've got this, I've got this.

Other stuff off Bob, Soul Patrol, Fabulous Jades, Johnny Baker, stock copy of Alice Clark etc good times.

Dave.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

1987 I was in the sixth form in school and worked at Kwik Save a couple of nights after school and on Saturdays. I'd been buying cheapies from the likes of Mick Smith, La Beat (Rob Wigley), Richard Domar (remember his wonderful telephone manner?!) amongst others. Doug Banks I Just Kep On Dancing was massive at the time, both on the mod scene and northern scene. Mick turned up a boxful (90 copies I think?) and was banging them out on his list for £30. My take home pay (this was pre min wage) was less than this per week but I agonised for days about whether to blow my dosh on this then major want (which would leave me skint and unable to go out). Of course I bought it and I remember being up the ladders at Kwik Save the day after I'd bought it thinking to myself "what have you done" and "you're working here all sodding day lugging stock onto the shelves for nothing as you've blown it on one record"!!! Happy days :lol: The guilt didn't last long however and as has been said earlier in the thread, once the seal is broken, you're knackered!! First £100 one was Freddie Houston - If I Had Known (£120) also off Mick...

Rich

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Ya Neil. I owned it after (via Colin & Sam), Barry Waddington got the 2nd copy late 79/early 80. Richard got it off him in swops & cash.

I got some great stuff off Bob C. I got M.Champion off him blind, you can't believe how good it felt when Colin 1st played it at the Mecca covered up as Jodi Williams.

I remember running around the Highland Room, telling people I knew, I've got this, I've got this.

Other stuff off Bob, Soul Patrol, Fabulous Jades, Johnny Baker, stock copy of Alice Clark etc good times.

Dave.

I picked up your Alice Clark stocker Dave along with Virginia Blackly(£12?), & a few others...small world! DF

Social source share

Hi Neil,

I remember the purchase of the Inspirations very well. Ritz All Dayer mid Summer of 1976. I gave you £35 cash, & a mint Issue of Joe Matthews on Kool cat. I later traded the record with Colin Curtis, who made it massive. At that time the Ritz was a great place for records, buying or selling. happy days!

PS: Whatever happened to 'Daly city Bob Cattaneao'

Regards Ritchie. smile.gif

Social source share

Was picking up around £44 a week circa 76/77 and that was cos I lied about my age and told em I was 18 :lol:

I bought a copy of Dena Barnes off Clive Jones £22 :wicked: and a couple of weeks later £25 for Jay Traynor on Demo, my keep at home was a £10enner so I was struggling to survive :lol: living on bread and water :lol:

:lol:

Social source share

Hi Neil,

I remember the purchase of the Inspirations very well. Ritz All Dayer mid Summer of 1976. I gave you £35 cash, & a mint Issue of Joe Matthews on Kool cat. I later traded the record with Colin Curtis, who made it massive. At that time the Ritz was a great place for records, buying or selling. happy days!

PS: Whatever happened to 'Daly city Bob Cattaneao'

Regards Ritchie. :smile:

Hi Ritchie, I didn't know you had The Inspirations in between Neil & Colin.

Anyway I hope you are keeping ok and hope to see you back at Burnley soon.thumbsup.gif

Yours Dave.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert