The First Record You Ever Paid Big Money For

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm sure we've done this before on here but for the benefit of the people who always come in while the film's in progress, I think it's time we did it again.

What was your first 'big money' record? I'm talking 'big money' in relation to what you were taking home at the time you bought it - one that cost you the best part of a week's wages when you were taking home three pounds, seven shillings and fourpence ha'penny, rather than something you bought off Manship for five grand because you just sold your dot com company for half a million quid. You know, the one you skipped a few meals and pints for a week to obtain...

Rather topically, given that some mug's just given John £161.00 for a demo, mine was a stocker of Robert Parker's "I've Caught You In A Lie". I paid £5.00 for it in 1971, when I was taking home. £8.46 a week after tax!

Long before it was played on the soul scene it was a real 'holy grail' record for London-based reggae collectors, because Lloydie Coxsone used to hammer it on his sound system (it was one of the few soul 45s that got played at reggae dances) and nobody could find copies. To make it more difficult, nobody who followed Coxsone actually knew who the singer was or what the actual title was as Llloydie had scratched most of the label out.

A pal of mine located four copies on a trip to N.O. and sold two of the three others for a tenner to local sound system operators, keeping one for himself. He let me have mine for 'only' a fiver, because I'd correctly identified who the singer was, and that was how he was able to find them...

I had to give him the fiver in two instalments, I remember that...

What did you buy for what seems like peanuts now but that, back in the day, put a severe dent in your 'entertainments budget' for a few weeks?

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was this this the same "Caught you in a lie "that was released by a female called Louisa Marks what a brill reggae sound that was , now that does take me back to the early 70,s sure it was on a disc with a black label with gold writing Black Wax or Soul Wax , sorry to have gone off topic but thanks for the memory ... Jenko

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Was this this the same "Caught you in a lie "that was released by a female called Louisa Marks what a brill reggae sound that was , now that does take me back to the early 70,s sure it was on a disc with a black label with gold writing Black Wax or Soul Wax , sorry to have gone off topic but thanks for the memory ... Jenko

No that was released in 1974.

Actually, there IS a connection, though - the Louisa Mark record was produced by the very same Lloydie Coxsone, who originally made it as an 'exclusive' dub plate for his sound system, as there was no other reggae version (although, funnily enough, there was a great rocksteady cut of the other side "Holdin' Out" by - from memory - the Versatiles on Amalgamated). After playing it for a while he eventually did a deal with some small UK label to release it - wasn't Black Wax or the other one you mention, but as you say it did have a very similar label design. But I can't tell you off the top of my head what the label was called, as I've always had a Jamaican copy (on Gussie-Puppy Records, should you care...)

Social source share

No that was released in 1974.

Actually, there IS a connection, though - the Louisa Mark record was produced by the very same Lloydie Coxsone, who originally made it as an 'exclusive' dub plate for his sound system, as there was no other reggae version (although, funnily enough, there was a great rocksteady cut of the other side "Holdin' Out" by - from memory - the Versatiles on Amalgamated). After playing it for a while he eventually did a deal with some small UK label to release it - wasn't Black Wax or the other one you mention, but as you say it did have a very similar label design. But I can't tell you off the top of my head what the label was called, as I've always had a Jamaican copy (on Gussie-Puppy Records, should you care...)

Safari Records...

Social source share

It sure is the same song. When I was in Aylesbury Jail in 1977-8, a mate of ours went round telling everybody that LOUISA was his girlfriend and nobody believed him, it was after she'd had 'Six Sixth Street' as a massive Lovers hit too and it all went on for a month with all the geezers laughing at him and taking the piss. (He was quite a big weighty lad).

Then one saturday we all trouped down into the visiting room and there she was, done up to the nines, looking like the absolute queen of London Lovers Rock (which she was really at that moment) and sat visiting this guy, who of course was staring triumphantly around the gym like a dreadlocked HENRY 8TH! The whole place was full of people who kept staring in her direction and he was basking in it! Never could find out if he really had a bit of a thing going with her or whether he'd paid her to come in and make a PA in a Prison Gym but he sure lorded it on the wing for a few weeks afterwards!thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Great story Tony. Always fascinated to hear about records that crossed over between Soul music and Jamaican scenes.

My first proper purchase will have been in late 1975 when I started going to Wigan as a 15 year old. After a couple of months messing around buying pressings I took the plunge and paid £8 for Maurice Williams - Being Without You. I recall it was a combination of milk round wages and saved up dinner money when I sneaked home and ate jam butties :ohmy:

Social source share

I'm sure we've done this before on here but for the benefit of the people who always come in while the film's in progress, I think it's time we did it again.

What was your first 'big money' record? I'm talking 'big money' in relation to what you were taking home at the time you bought it - one that cost you the best part of a week's wages when you were taking home three pounds, seven shillings and fourpence ha'penny, rather than something you bought off Manship for five grand because you just sold your dot com company for half a million quid. You know, the one you skipped a few meals and pints for a week to obtain...

Rather topically, given that some mug's just given John £161.00 for a demo, mine was a stocker of Robert Parker's "I've Caught You In A Lie". I paid £5.00 for it in 1971, when I was taking home. £8.46 a week after tax!

Long before it was played on the soul scene it was a real 'holy grail' record for London-based reggae collectors, because Lloydie Coxsone used to hammer it on his sound system (it was one of the few soul 45s that got played at reggae dances) and nobody could find copies. To make it more difficult, nobody who followed Coxsone actually knew who the singer was or what the actual title was as Llloydie had scratched most of the label out.

A pal of mine located four copies on a trip to N.O. and sold two of the three others for a tenner to local sound system operators, keeping one for himself. He let me have mine for 'only' a fiver, because I'd correctly identified who the singer was, and that was how he was able to find them...

What did you buy for what seems like peanuts now but that, back in the day, put a severe dent in your 'entertainments budget' for a few weeks?

The 1st time I paid nearly a week wages for a record, was for The Embers "Watch Out Girl" off Neil Rushton £30, at the back end of 1975.

My wage at the time was £35 before tax.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Remember paying 2 quid for Rodger Collins "Sexy Sugar Plumb"after being told by a mate "you wont see many more again" at the time it was "big" tho I was far too young to be going to nighters at the time.

Was pleased to see the record made the UK charts a few weeks later.................still love it tho

Cheers Paul

Social source share

After board and the travelling to nighters expenses, all my money went on records. First one I spent three figures on was Sir Ceasar on Ride. Was a one off till Butch got 4 or 5 copies from states. Paid £150 for it, think Carl Fortnum got one too. That would be '87 or '88 at Guy's Tony's Empress Ballroom, Blackburn nighters. I was earning about half that back then, had to borrow the rest off me dad.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Real 'old timers' thread this isn't it?

As I have always had badly paid jobs, and my old man always took at least 50% of my wages for 'board' the big money records for me didn't amount to huge amounts. At the back end of '74 though I managed to stump up a fiver for Bobby Paris "Night owl" when it was still massive!

It proved to be a slippery slope!

best,

RB

Social source share

The first I recall spending more than .75p on, was an Emi Disc copy of the Pointer sisters "Send Him Back" it also had "Night Owl" on it,

I got it off some Dj from Huddersfield at the old Radcliffe civic hall(not the new one that does the nighter)Friday night disco and it cost me £5, Not a lot of dosh really but if you think that my first weeks wage was £7.50,A lot of wonga for a 16 year old

Grant

Social source share

Frank

it must have been around 74/75 when you got the four perfections of arthur and myself for equiv of £65 in cash and swaps

paul

Can you remember what the value of the Exception was? I know that was one of the trades. That copy of "I'm Not Strong Enough" was the first one wasn't it? Great F*ckin' record though. I HAD to have it!

Ian D :)

Social source share

First BIG money purchase was when I paid Paid £15 for a lovely Red/White UK Demo of Garnett Mimms "Looking For You" in 1974.

I was on an apprentice wage of £8 a week at the time!

I well remember the expression on my mates faces as I handed over the cash.

They all thought I was bleedin' mental.

:thumbup:

Never stopped since, but its been a long time since I paid 2 weeks wages for a record. :)

Sean

Social source share

First BIG money purchase was when I paid Paid £15 for a lovely Red/White UK Demo of Garnett Mimms "Looking For You" in 1974.

I was on an apprentice wage of £8 a week at the time!

I well remember the expression on my mates faces as I handed over the cash.

They all thought I was bleedin' mental.

:lol:

Never stopped since, but its been a long time since I paid 2 weeks wages for a record. :thumbup:

Sean

Wow and Tats said last night " Hampsters really tight when it comes to vinyl" :)

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Noooooooo he didn't. :)

On our last Record hunting trip I forked out six times what he paid out.

How was the night?

I'd have bin there... but I had to stay in to wash me hair!

It was a good night Sean ( I added some wants to notepad on my Nokia:thumbsup:) .. and he did say that you can ask him! Oh he said Bully was a twat and Clacton rocked too ?

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Oh yeah I can s

Yeh--this has been done b4----in 1978 i paid £8 for Patrice Holloway---Stolen Hours .Got it from Graham Wake from Northallerton everybody said i was barking.The next day when i got home(Catterick Village) there was a 4 stall fun fair on the village green(playing records on the roundabout---SO I HAD TO ASK!!!!!) AND I SAT OUTSIDE THE bAY hORSE IN heaven listen to it boom out across the green(bet thats never happened since!!!!)

Best

T.C.ee him.  Hey Tats  what was that odd  rap  record  you played ?

Social source share

Think my fisrt BIG money records:laugh: and youve got to understand i was just begining to buy records as tony colby was selling his vast detroit collection, so i suppose these three were bargains-sunliners-all alone-golden world acetate £8, chansonettes-don`t let him hurt you-shrine £12 & al williams-iam nothing=la beat w/d £25

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Hard to remember exactly the first, but I do remember buying Music by Jeanette White at a Whitchurch All Dayer in 72 I think.

Cost me about 2 quid, sounds like peanuts but it was a bloody fortune then. as I was still at school

Thumbed it all the way home with the record inside my shirt...........

Edited by REVILOT
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

At Hinckley Leisure Centre had the choice (for £10 each) of the "Ascots - Another Day" or "Tee Fletcher - Happy Loving You" taking me through the £10 threshold for a record!! Fortunately I chose the "Ascots"!!

Des Parker

I think I went throught that box too Des, and plumped for a white acetate of Marvin Gaye- Lonely lover for £8 :-(

First Northern Soul record i ever bought coast me four weeks paper round money. I stayed in for a whole month, sending the postal order every week. Johnny Bragg - They're talking about me. I didnt want the recently reissued one on Destiny? I wanted the American original.

When I told Conway what I'd done I think his words were - I've created a monster.

Social source share

Did afew trades for the Del larks in the 75/76 Ithink came to about £40 in total but the records had cost me very little as I worked at global at the weekend- Sold my Collection in January 1980 at Wigan and got just over £60 for it - Funny I got nearly £50 for the Embers that was a rough copy- amazing how certain records have developed in price.

I think the day I got the dellarks I turned down a copy of the Sapphires version of Gonna be abig thing for £1.50 and bought an emidisc instead of Rosy Jones "Have love will travel" Strange things you did when you were young and not very wise!

Social source share

Lester Tipton - 20 quid ( 1976) from Bob Fosters old collection Via Bob Brady

The Chandlers from R Searling ( 30 quid) just before it got released on grapevine 78 ?

Inspirations Wish is my command - Rod Shard ( wigan record bar ) 20 quid

I was earning 15 quid a week then as a chef in Wales , when i bought Mr Tipton,

best

Pete Morgan

Social source share

Two Quid cash for Jackie Lee's "Your Personality" On Mirwood! I hadn't personally come across too many US records back then, As it was mostly UK stock. I was stood outside Ralph's records in Manchester, It was late 1969, In his box was a MINT demo of Alexander Patton's "A Lil' Lovin' Sometimes" On Capitol 66 Discoteque series whic I was absolute mad about, But the two quid spent was about 60% of my wage at the time! I later found out the guy who sold me it was Jeff King, I picked up a lovely yellow Soul Sounds copy a few weeks later in Ralph's and another the same day in Ralphs on BJD with the bonus of having "Tightrope" on the flip! I thought then these were US copies or similar!! LOL . Anyhow I picked up an Art Freeman on Atlantic in Huddersfield Market the same afternoon for a shilling and a Williams and Watson "Quitter" on Capitol Soul Supply for the same price so wasn't a bad day!

Social source share

Guest wrightypaul36

FRIDAY NIGHT- STEVE MANCHA ON GROOVESVILLE £3.00

SILKIE HARGRAVES.- KEEP LOVING ME LIKE YOU DO. DEARBOURNE DEMO. £5.00

DO IT.- PAT POWDRILL.-DOWNIE. £8.00

SIDNEY BARNES. - I HURT ON THE OTHER SIDE. BLUE CAT WD.£12.00

DEBBIE DEAN.-WHY AM I LOVING YOU BABY. V.I.P. COULERED DEMO.£8.00

YOUNGBLOOD SMITH. - YOU CAN SPLIT. VERVE DEMO. £5.00

1977 I THINK MY TAKEHOME PAY WAS ABOUT £27.00

Social source share

Hard to remember exactly the first, but I do remember buying Music by Jeanette White at a Whitchurch All Dayer in 72 I think.

Cost me about 2 quid, sounds like peanuts but it was a bloody fortune then. as I was still at school

Thumbed it all the way home with the record inside my shirt...........

tumbleweed3.gif

If that's Mr Orritt, it was 1973, and it was a hell of a walk back to Liverpool wasn't it mateyes.gif .!

My first big price was Shane Martin on Epic, just as it getting played at Wigan. I paid £6, and a uk copy went for £12 the same night.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Perception

£25 for "Sitting In My Class"/"Isn't She A Pretty Girl" - Ronnie McNeir - Deto with the bell intro, in the 1970's.

It was alot of money to me then, still got the record though!

Social source share

roosevelt matthews and little nicky soul were each about 2 weeks wages or prehaps a bit more.

Both way over what I was generally spendjng at the time. And way over what I spend now per 45 if I think about it.

Since sold both as it grated on me that i'd paid the going rate or more glare.gif

will buy back RM if I see it cheap enough. LNS I can live without.

Social source share

:boxing: Tammi Lynn - "I,m gonna run away from you" UK DEMO, £2 from Mick Smith in the early 7ts, he got a mint one, his origanal copy is still in my collection NOC.SEW:ph34r: DAVE KIL
Social source share

Guest stevejan

Dottie Cambridge - Cry your eyes out - MGM stocker...1978 (or was it '77...hmmm)...a whole £6.

An advance on my pocket money plus extra house chores were required for that one...alongside a courteous, 'I'll never spend more than that on a record, Mum!'

:innocent:

I was selling copies of Cry your eyes out at The Torch for £6 around '73 Bradford market was a great source for MGM Verve and a whole lot of other stuff at that time) I remember asking Levine to play it at the Torch...reply; don't know it..No. Next on Alan Day asked him to play it he did...instant massive intrest...and Levine trying to barter me me down from £6 for a copy....happy days..LOL

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert