Gino Washington - Rat Race

Guest Matt Male

Guest Matt Male

Was this legitimately released on Washpan or was it only on acetate? Is the later 'reissue' on Washpan with Oh Not Me on the flip actually the first US release?

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The original 60's presses are vinyl test pressings not acetates. They have plain white labels with handwritten credits...'Oh not me' was also on the flipside.

The story usually goes that there were only 6 or so copies, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were more...my copy went to Tim Brown many moons ago.

The Washpan labelled copies were modern day presses from the 90's, but I believe they are legit.

good.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The original 60's presses are vinyl test pressings not acetates. They have plain white labels with handwritten credits...'Oh not me' was also on the flipside.

The story usually goes that there were only 6 or so copies, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were more...my copy went to Tim Brown many moons ago.

The Washpan labelled copies were modern day presses from the 90's, but I believe they are legit.

:good:

Thanks Dave thumbsup.gif

Social source share

good.gif

Dave, my copy came from Tim, did yours have "George Washington" written in the credits as the artist (instead of Gino Washington) because this one does? ( I understand that Tim might have had more than one over the years, just thought you might remember your old one)

Social source share

Dave, my copy came from Tim, did yours have "George Washington" written in the credits as the artist (instead of Gino Washington) because this one does? ( I understand that Tim might have had more than one over the years, just thought you might remember your old one)

It did indeed good.gif

Wish I'd kept it :ohmy:

I'll try and find the scan I kept of it to compare :lol:

Social source share

First person i remember playing it was good old Dave T at Stafford.I went out to DETROIT at that time being invited round Ginos house.We went thru some of his records and pulled out a copy of Rat Race he told me only 5 were made he said the remaining 3 went to his band members,then handed it to me and said you can have this one to keep. flippng brill i said and thank-you. Yes as Flynny said hand written on plastic at 7 inch. Dont remember what was on the flip thou. Kind regards Gilly

Social source share

First person i remember playing it was good old Dave T at Stafford.I went out to DETROIT at that time being invited round Ginos house.We went thru some of his records and pulled out a copy of Rat Race he told me only 5 were made he said the remaining 3 went to his band members,then handed it to me and said you can have this one to keep. flippng brill i said and thank-you. Yes as Flynny said hand written on plastic at 7 inch. Dont remember what was on the flip thou. Kind regards Gilly

ey up pal, bout time you was on here, you've plenty to tell :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that Dave Thorley's copy was a metal acetate from Soul Bowl. He'll let us know, no doubt. Good to see you posting Gilly, welcome, Ady

Didn't know that...that'll be interesting if it was...then again nothing surprises me when it comes to things that have emerged from the legendary 'Shelves of Anderson'...those mystical places that contained things that us mere mortals could only dream of!

:thumbup:

(Hi Gilly and Ady :)...long time y'all!)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert