Comment: Matt Brown

Mike

This record is one of the sound tracks of my youth. On the dance floor of Stafford at 17 years old absolutely transfixed with this sound. No one danced the traditional northern soul way.

It was an eclectic mix of up-tempo new sounds and wonderfully orchestrated mid-tempo and left field (just above) beat ballads that set this place apart from the others.

i truelly believe that the scene at stafford set the blueprint for the future of northern soul.

With records like Matt Brown (which i incidentally used to put the b side 'i want to thank you' on tapes for people back 1984 realising it was a very special record. Records like these gave birth to the term 'cross over' which believe me to my great dissapointment is an extremely detremental phrase now days as it seems to be very much demoted to the side lines compared to the absolute rubbish that is termed as (so called) 'R&B'. which to my absolute disgust is winning the race for dance floor popularity. I have lived with the term R&B as a musical term nearly all my life and i am extremely proud to patronise this word as it lives in all of us soul fans. But (and this is where I explode) i pour absolute scorn on records that are dated, poppy (ie rubbish white popcorn) crass near pseudo rock and roll do forgive me but i think i am going to explode now and throw my key board out the window giving this subject time. Stop the rubbish R&B NOW.

Unless your too old to dance to proper Soul that is.

View the full item

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Love it.

In my box always.

An incredible double sider!

Love the term 'proper soul'.

Few of us would understand it... and I applaud the passion you have for it.

Also, I share your disdain for this 'so-called' RnB / Pseudo Rock / Garage Twangy White Pop wave that seems to be gaining popularity.

Just a great post.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert