Record Mountain Growing By The Day

Mark Bicknell

I looked at my record boxes the other day and said to myself "how long have you been a deranged twat?" coupled with a lack of enthusiasm I've decided to get rid of 200 records and by a new car, simples.

PAUL, You'll feel like JEREMY CLARKSON for a few weeks and then one boring evening, you'll reach for your boxes.....and regret it!thumbup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 94
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"Oh by the way Ady I've still got the Ascots and Bobby Kline I bought off you when we were still in black and white £18.00 each I seem to remember lol"

Great example of keen pricing Mark! Was it you that turned down the Eddie Parker for £85? If I remember rightly it was about 25 years ago!

Cheers, Ady

Don't remember knocking back an Eddie Parker with you mate, still had that one in the end several years later lol think the Ascots/Bobby Kline deal was around 1981/82/83 certainly around that time Stafford early period, I think I even called you from a phone box so my folks did'nt hear the conversation lol.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I can certainly relate to the above statement,i tend to speak from the shop floor perspective ie venues,lists and site selling.to be honest everything seems to tittle along as it always has,but so many deals are going through the week in private for large amounts of money over sea's and here in uk, certainly it's down to having the right records but always has been . i think most deals should be private certainly when they're oddball 45's that buyers want to keep stum on.I'd say there's never been as many people into buying original soul 45's,be it hotboxing or hoarding - hard times will always come and go but if you love your records then they're here to stay..

re browny he's let maybe 100 and odd 45's go most of them being well into 4 figures,there are a few reasons for it and it ain't owt to do with the bottom dropping out of it.

there's one thing for sure i'll keep buying things i ain't got.

Hi Andy

well put thumbsup.gif

Regarding oddball records, i remember asking a few yrs back if you would sell me EDDIE WILLIAMS on CORSAIR g.gif

You said it was'nt a very expensive record and one would turn up ??....i never did find one yetsad.gif

Was that long ago since i heard it ,i've forgot what it sounded like laugh.gif

Remember it sounded nice when you played it at Cumby arms 2003 .................no i ain't got a great memory,i happen to have kept the tape casing you did for the night,but i gave the tape awayfrusty2.gif

Social source share

Pauline Shivers top tune was playing that way back during my Solar/Starpoint Radio gigs and many other little bits and bobs.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Yeah, top class in every way - have you seen the website her nephews have set up in Chicago? It carries her picture on the front and pays tribute to her and that recording in particular and then showcases young black artists from today.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

as for buying ten pound records and all that it dont work for me as i just end up with loads and loads of worthles records that dont realy make the grade.

You've got to be joking? How many examples of great records do you want in that 10-20 price range?

Starting off with...

THE DELLS - 'Make Sure that Somebody Loves You' - currently available at £12 on lists. A record not often played at oldies venues such as BISLEY but one which packed the floor there at the last event, from the first few bars.

If that was an unknown group on a defunct label from Kentucky, with only 30 copies in existence you'd be talking thousands.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

This thread feels like it's a mutual support group for worried sellers/collectors.

Now unless I've imagined it at the few venues I've attended over past couple of years there are guys sat behind big boxes of 45s doing from my observation very little business with the general punter. Why? Well cos they're overprived compared to Ebay, condition seems to be an alien concept and as it's a sideline for most there's no compulsion to be competitive or reasonable unless of course you actually need the money.

I did this selling for a business for 12 years. It was impossible to build up large stocks of decent records unless I got quantity on a title because as soon as it was on the stall it had gone either face to face or on a mailing list. I reckon a week was a long time for most titles. And a lot of this was during the supposedly lean times.

Unless these sellers now are getting in 300 [average size of box for sale but some have more]new records a week they shouldn't have any records to sell within a very short period.

Im sure those who do attend venues regularly and spend their time trawling the boxes do notice the same old records cos I did in my time doing that.

There are no wrong records just wrong prices.

ROD

Social source share

Clear yer lugs out Davie lad...I played Herman Griffin at the last US Hitsville shindig at La Qunita.

Can't have made that mush of an impression eh? laugh.gif

Another perfect example for ya STEPTOE - and the guys at these do's most certainly do not have to play 'cheap' records if they dont believe they are good, thats for surethumbsup.gif !

Social source share

This thread feels like it's a mutual support group for worried sellers/collectors.

Now unless I've imagined it at the few venues I've attended over past couple of years there are guys sat behind big boxes of 45s doing from my observation very little business with the general punter. Why? Well cos they're overprived compared to Ebay, condition seems to be an alien concept and as it's a sideline for most there's no compulsion to be competitive or reasonable unless of course you actually need the money.

I did this selling for a business for 12 years. It was impossible to build up large stocks of decent records unless I got quantity on a title because as soon as it was on the stall it had gone either face to face or on a mailing list. I reckon a week was a long time for most titles. And a lot of this was during the supposedly lean times.

Unless these sellers now are getting in 300 [average size of box for sale but some have more]new records a week they shouldn't have any records to sell within a very short period.

Im sure those who do attend venues regularly and spend their time trawling the boxes do notice the same old records cos I did in my time doing that.

ROD

You aint seen Des Parker he sells loads at nighters and soul nights cause he wants to turn the money around no good been in his box for months and he aint greedy does some really good deals. In fact he has other dealers who have bought from him trying to sell his records back to him a few months laterlaugh.gif

Social source share

Hi Andy

well put thumbsup.gif

Regarding oddball records, i remember asking a few yrs back if you would sell me EDDIE WILLIAMS on CORSAIR g.gif

You said it was'nt a very expensive record and one would turn up ??....i never did find one yetsad.gif

Was that long ago since i heard it ,i've forgot what it sounded like laugh.gif

Remember it sounded nice when you played it at Cumby arms 2003 .................no i ain't got a great memory,i happen to have kept the tape casing you did for the night,but i gave the tape awayfrusty2.gif

Aye it just shows ,i thought i'd come across it again but not had a spare since and it will remain cheap till i find it again.... ah ... joking...

Social source share

Very well put Steve

Big deals still being done quitely ,involving top records for big money

I spoke to someone recently who sold a handful to a guy in the states for £40,000 and others to top dj's for big money ,prices he said ,he could'nt afford to turn down for records he never ever thought he'd part withohmy.gif

My lips are sealed out of respect for seller and buyer's ,so don't even askshhh.gifwicked.gif

crikey so you and Ian were both selling 45s for Tim ohmy.gif

Social source share

ROD

Selling at events certainly isn't what it used to be,but again it depends on venue,usually collectors venues like wilton or bidds still have loads of deals taking place.jesus been many moons since i was getting 300 new sales every week....

Mind you was just thinking a lot of folk i deal with don't go on ebay and certainly don't come on sites like this,so in effect the soul-source world is in some ways in it's own price and availability bubble which in reality can be miles away !

Social source share

I listed 5 records this week to raise some of the money for yearly servicing our 2 family cars.

2 of them were sold within 30 mins of going up on here and one more sold a day after listing so I think things are still pretty vibrant. 3 out of 5 ain't bod IMO.

I did go in at what I thought were low end or at least fair prices as I wanted quick sales.

but no interest in the buddy mcknight ? which was a bit of a suprise unsure.gif

Social source share

Careful that's how chinese whispers startwhistling.gif

Oh and for the record i don't sell record's for anyone ,i'm small fry ,act alone ,purely picking things up ,enjoying em and selling em on to fund more wants.

Simply cannot afford to fund records from my bank account these days ,so please buy something or at least make me an offer yes.gif

Another point from me is ,or even a theory....most people on here who collect have probably gotten most of the common records and no longer want em ,hence the reason why so many remain unsold.

supply and demand ,we're all chasing something newer so being more select.

There are a lot of collector/dj's about now but i wonder if we've reached the stage where ,not many new collectors on the scene???

Like Andy D states ,in a nut shell SOULSOURCE is'nt the be all and end all of the record buying worldno.gif nor is ebay!

Social source share

as for buying ten pound records and all that it dont work for me as i just end up with loads and loads of worthles records that dont realy make the grade.

For another perfect example of the flawed reasoning apparent in this statement, go and visit the current thread regarding TIMOTHY WILSON 'Loving you'....

There STEP, you'll find a thread concerning another fine, fine northern record (and not a well known one) which I and others have snapped up for £15, which now through certain circumstances will probably end up costing you considerably more if you try and buy it tomorrow!thumbsup.gif

The moral being - never dis a record because it has a low price! With regards to MR GORDY'S eternal trusim 'Its whats in the grooves that counts'!!

Social source share

I think it's more down to Northern Soul mentality from the DJ perspective at least, where if it ain't a big ticket item then it get's passed by, as I'm not really in the DJ loop anymore I don't really get too involved with the 'I must have it' ethic to be able to hold my own when DJ'ing although despite having moved many so called big ticket items over the years depth of collection still helps when required, not really turned up that many exclusive records over the years but a few i.e. Curly Moore on Sansu cost me £8.00, Reggie Alexander for pennies, Big Daddy Rogers Midas £15.00 basically one of the first to play these three as examples of turning a nothing record into a biggie, Curly Moore went massive and a huge asking price came with it soon after, of course there are many other DJ's/collectors who I'm sure can give far more examples of turning up something getting behind it and bang big indemand record, I think Andy Dyson touched on the fact that a good unknown/semi known records of quality that might catch the imagination of the scene now often cost a fortune from the off rather than being a cheapie which becomes a big ticket item. How many £10.00 records have become huge and turned out to be very rare records?....loads.

From my own personal perspective and it would seem a few others is a good record is a good record no matter what the price tag?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

I think it's more down to Northern Soul mentality from the DJ perspective at least, where if it ain't a big ticket item then it get's passed by, as I'm not really in the DJ loop anymore I don't really get too involved with the 'I must have it' ethic to be able to hold my own when DJ'ing although despite having moved many so called big ticket items over the years depth of collection still helps when required, not really turned up that many exclusive records over the years but a few i.e. Curly Moore on Sansu cost me £8.00, Reggie Alexander for pennies, Big Daddy Rogers Midas £15.00 basically one of the first to play these three as examples of turning a nothing record into a biggie, Curly Moore went massive and a huge asking price came with it soon after, of course there are many other DJ's/collectors who I'm sure can give far more examples of turning up something getting behind it and bang big indemand record, I think Andy Dyson touched on the fact that a good unknown/semi known records of quality that might catch the imagination of the scene now often cost a fortune from the off rather than being a cheapie which becomes a big ticket item. How many £10.00 records have become huge and turned out to be very rare records?....loads.

From my own personal perspective and it would seem a few others is a good record is a good record no matter what the price tag?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark

Big respect to all dj,s collectors on ere but it will always be right place right time , me thinks there will always be collectors records and more in demand tunes in rarety than soulful listening than it will take up space in the box

easy

Martyn

Social source share

Another perfect example for ya STEPTOE - and the guys at these do's most certainly do not have to play 'cheap' records if they dont believe they are good, thats for surethumbsup.gif !

i think a lot of folks are geting a little carried away here with what i was actuly meaning .the big defining thing here is we are talking here and now 2009 and the mountain of vinyl that no body wants or am i on the wrong thred ? loads o cheap good sounding records about yeah for sure and most of it is part of the mountain , yes twenty years ago there was cheap records that went on to be worth a good few pound, how many these days . what i was meaning is out of a box of 300 cheap tunes at ten pounds a pop i aint going to be getting 3 grand for it am i lol .i didant say owt about ten pound records being any good or not good . what i was saying is in my experience i find the cheaper tunes the most dificult to shift in fact i thought everybody did . and i stick by what i said n that is the higher end tunes tend to keep there value beter than the cheaper tunes .yeah sure lots o stuff go's up in value but we are talking 2009 not 79 but anyway you can argue all this until the cows come home but i would sooner have a box of 30 top tunes than a box of 300 ten pound tunes thats all . or am i on my own here ? no am not i thought that it was very simple to understand

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

oh right so am advocating all cheap records are not worth playing er? NO nothing or anything like your sugesting , anyway would you or your mates like to buy a bloody big box of around 300 records some sound good some dont but your more than welcome to have them for the bargain price of a grand ? no you wouldent would you ? may be you understand what i was saying , am sure your friends tunes may be good to them !!! but that is nothing to do with what i was meaning , bloody hell its impossible to say owt light harted without folks coming up with there own meaning of it , take it easy loads a good n cheap tunes around just try selling them on oh and i can give you cheap examples of good tunes all day yes no problem but thats how many? out of how many thousands and thousands wink.gif

I know one thing....I certainly dislike more big money items than I actually like as records and that has always been the case, being a lot of prices are fixed by rarity and not CREATIVE QUALITY.

I agree its a nightmare sometimes when you post and people interpretate you wrongly but thats the trouble with websites, text messages, emails and the general thrust of contemporary communication!thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

I know one thing....I certainly dislike more big money items than I actually like as records and that has always been the case, being a lot of prices are fixed by rarity and not CREATIVE QUALITY.

I agree its a nightmare sometimes when you post and people interpretate you wrongly but thats the trouble with websites, text messages, emails and the general thrust of contempoary communication!thumbsup.gif

i agree with you there on both parts , records rolleyes.gif we can go on forever with all this no bother take it easy yes.gif

Social source share

There are thousands of records for sale out there from the ten quid cheapie through to the big ticket items, almost on a daily basis someone lists a nice rarity here on Soul Source alone, take a look now and you will see what I mean...do they all sell? I suspect no or at least it's a very slow process, asking prices are so often reduced, big ticket items seem to slip down the list at a rate of knots, Ebay still seems to through up a huge number of records in all price brackets, add this to the major record dealers and the vast amount of stock some of those guys must be sitting on is mindblowing. Still I guess the 64,000 dollar question is do we collect records as an investment or for enjoying them as pieces of music? Some records I've moved on recently for decent money have been records I've had for maybe well over twenty years so I've had the pleasure of owning and playing these records, take into account Ady Pountain mentioned this how much I invested in the records in the first place, checking so called book prices and selling them for what I'm happy with, I won't mention the tune but I invested or paid £100.00 for one tune back in 1989/90 and recently sold it for a Grand be it a genuine rarity which has already been mentioned here tend to hold their prices or improve in value. Popular indemand and genuine rare records seem to hold their own in the market place but there is a stack of records which seem to be very difficult to sell be they cheap, played out or simply not as rare as we once thought.

Time will tell I guess how this will all end up but I suspect in the next few years more collections or part collections will be offered up for sale to less and less people who want to buy them supply will over take demand in a lot of cases but I honestly think that this has already started to happen? I'm not trying to stir anything up here just being realistic, good luck to the mavericks, moovers and shakers who still have the passion to dig a little deeper for something new but is there really that much more to find that we can really say comes anywhere near close to the quality of say George Blackwell for example, proper hard edged perfection as far as a Northern Soul record goes in the true sense of the word, slightly off the topic here but a valid point.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I am astounded that no only 4 folk including myself, bid on a auction on Ebay that was for 2 Kim Weston 7s on Gordy, one being 'Helpless' and the other being 'A thrill a moment. I picked them both up for the mental price of $16.61 (£10.13p) OK the condition might no be the best but hey, the 'Thrill a moment' must be worth twice that on it's own.

Well chuffed!!!!

Social source share

I am astounded that no only 4 folk including myself, bid on a auction on Ebay that was for 2 Kim Weston 7s on Gordy, one being 'Helpless' and the other being 'A thrill a moment. I picked them both up for the mental price of $16.61 (£10.13p) OK the condition might no be the best but hey, the 'Thrill a moment' must be worth twice that on it's own.

Well chuffed!!!!

Sounds like a good deal if they are in playable condition.

Will we see Northern Soul turning into the next doo-wop, where nowadays only the mega rarities still sell for good prices? Perhaps soul fans have the cheapies already & we will see the market drop off?? I tend to think the soul scene (& related) is too strong & this current slump is directly related to the recession. When things get better with the economy the buyers will return evenly to all ends of the market. I know that I'm winning a lot more stuff for cheaper off ebay at the moment, so it's kind of a case of "making hay while the sun shines" at least for the moment until the other bidders/snipers get serious again. Definitely not a great time for selling "cheap to medium rare" records on ebay though.

Social source share

Time will tell I guess how this will all end up but I suspect in the next few years more collections or part collections will be offered up for sale to less and less people who want to buy them supply will over take demand in a lot of cases but I honestly think that this has already started to happen? I'm not trying to stir anything up here just being realistic, good luck to the mavericks, moovers and shakers who still have the passion to dig a little deeper for something new but is there really that much more to find that we can really say comes anywhere near close to the quality of say George Blackwell for example, proper hard edged perfection as far as a Northern Soul record goes in the true sense of the word, slightly off the topic here but a valid point.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I dont think that is stirring anything up MARK....Its just utterly logical. I agree, I dont believe there are too many FB 'Because of my heart' type records left, not where rarity and quality combine to such perfect traditional NS levels (If any)! As for the market, reality has to dictate that in 25 years, there will be a small percentage of the current 'buyers' left and sad as it may seem, one day there will again be piles of records sitting in somebody's garage, with no particular value, just like they were in Detroit and Miami warehouses back in 1972 and the whole thing will have come complete circle.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I dont think the scene will ever come to a halt as it did before purely down to the diverse demographic the scene has now (its changed massively), combine that with the world wide interest the rare soul scene now generates, things are pretty healthy interest wise.

Getting back to the record mountain, yes if it aint rare or in demand its hard to sell at the moment unless its a classic oldie in prestine condition, then you can command a good price and still shift it.

The rare stuff will always sell and theres plenty of people out there ready to part with there hard earned.

I sold a Jimmy Bo Horne this week and could have sold it 5 times over, in these tough times people are still spending big, and alot of these people ar'nt old stalwarts of the scene these are what you could call relatively new converts over the last 10 or 15 years.

Regarding people selling off there collections and not enough people interested in picking over it I cant see that happening, I think the analogy would be a motorway tail back as some slowly pull away from the front more are joining at the back. These people join at the lower end of the market and steadily increase there spending limits as years go on and become more and more obsessive about collecting, I see it every week its a illness. We can all remember that first time we spent way to much, more than we could afford on a tune but once you've done it your hooked its like smoking your first pack tabs.

The mid range stuff has now found its level but the high end stuff who knows.

Cheers Darren

www.raresoul45s.co.uk

Edited by BROWNIE
Social source share

I dont think that is stirring anything up MARK....Its just utterly logical. I agree, I dont believe there are too many FB 'Because of my heart' type records left, not where rarity and quality combine to such perfect traditional NS levels (If any)! As for the market, reality has to dictate that in 25 years, there will be a small percentage of the current 'buyers' left and sad as it may seem, one day there will again be piles of records sitting in somebody's garage, with no particular value, just like they were in Detroit and Miami warehouses back in 1972 and the whole thing will have come complete circle.

thumbsup.gif

Rather morbid but true.

What about a drop when we're all pensioners which will be sooner. Although I guess there may be a flurry when people get their lump sums.

Personally from my experience I still don't believe that you can't sell a 45 as long as price is right and maybe some need to take on board that they're not going to get what they thought a record was worth and instead of blaming recession or whatever, realise it is a fluctuating market.

Yesterday I noticed the same 45 on here for £200 and £100 in same condition. What's that about? Last time I checked the £100 copy was still there unless the list has not been updated. And then there's the game everyone plays with the Manship guide/auction result. I see Godz is selling a WDJ £100 less than Manny.

There's really little sense to it as far as I can see.

ROD

Social source share

Yesterday I noticed the same 45 on here for £200 and £100 in same condition. What's that about? Last time I checked the £100 copy was still there unless the list has not been updated. And then there's the game everyone plays with the Manship guide/auction result. I see Godz is selling a WDJ £100 less than Manny.

ROD

This happens all the time on here, Soul Source seems to be a place where people try it on asking stupid prices for things, especially mint prices for vg+ records, I raised a point about this 3 months back, more fool the buyer.

Social source share

Rather morbid but true.

What about a drop when we're all pensioners which will be sooner. Although I guess there may be a flurry when people get their lump sums.

Personally from my experience I still don't believe that you can't sell a 45 as long as price is right and maybe some need to take on board that they're not going to get what they thought a record was worth and instead of blaming recession or whatever, realise it is a fluctuating market.

ROD

Yes, although the prices have soared, its really always been the same. There is no arbitration unit which monitors the prices that people sell records for. There have always been those who try and inflate the price and value records at OTT levels, the same as there has always been guys who would sell records for a cheaper, realistic price because they wanted to shift stuff - and get a good reputation - amongst collectors who would come back to them time and again.

I suppose the saddest thing is what somebody has already highlighted on here somewhere. Even 4 or 5 years ago, you used to be able to go to America and pick up all sorts of stuff for a few bucks - I don't mean mega rarities, but good records which cost 50-75 here could be found all day for 5-15 dollars. I remember one afternoon in New York, I walked into a shop and came out with

m- PAT LUNDI, JEAN WELLS and JOHNNY NASH for 9 dollars straight out of their bargain bin and then went on to pick up a bag of about 20 records for another 50 dollars in various shops. Now though, the smae thing happens in the vast majority of places....As soon as they know your english and looking for Soul, the nervous, knowing look appears and the hand reaches under the counter. Then the head drops down and five minutes later they are quoting MANSHIP'S book price at you in an East Village backstreet! With the hundreds of people who must have experienced that by now, this is at least ensuring a little dry up of supplies for the mountain as we get priced out of buying stuff by our own advertising!

Loved that image of people getting their pension lumps and blowing them on records! lollaugh.gif

Social source share

You aint seen Des Parker he sells loads at nighters and soul nights cause he wants to turn the money around no good been in his box for months and he aint greedy does some really good deals. In fact he has other dealers who have bought from him trying to sell his records back to him a few months laterlaugh.gif

I've bought a couple of times from Des at events, on both occasions he's knocked off £20 from what would have been £50 sales. It's not as if the records are overpriced in the first place! When this happens I'm tempted to return to his sales boxes before other sellers. Also like has previously been stated the variation in some of the prices (as well as grades)by some sellers, sometimes beggers belief.

As for myself I'll continue buying something that I want or can afford each month, otherwise I feel like I'm going to work for nothing :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Guest Perception

Seems like the record mountain is mainly made up of the same, over priced, low condition grade records!!

I'm having trouble finding something worthwhile to buy!

Edited by Perception
Social source share

the fact that tim brown has sold off a lot of his collection makes you wonder, does he know something we dont, as a dealer he's in a perfect position to see whats happening in the rare soul market place, maybe, with the currant recession & the other factors that have been mentioned here the bottom has started to drop out of the market, only time will tell

I wouldn't say Tim's sold a lot of his collection by any means. He's sold maybe a few dozen items for good money that he's not too bothered about but he's turned down far more offers than he's accepted. There was a time when he wouldn't have sold anything from his personal collection but he had some records nicked a while back and I think that knocked the stuffing out of him trying to be a completist, which he was. It certainly changed his views about hoarding everything for life, that's for sure, so then he started asking himself what he actually listened to and, as a result, what he needed to keep and what he wasn't too bothered about.

Plus, as Ted pointed out earlier, this is a pretty deep recession and he probably decided it might be a good time to thin out some expensive items, especially if he was never going to play them again anytime soon. He's in a position where, being a completist, he had label and artist runs of releases which he just collected but never particularly played, so what's the point in keeping them under those circumstances?

So with Tim it was probably a combination of factors. One thing I can say, is that you could offer him £20K for a rare Deep soul record and he still wouldn't sell it 'cos he is a Deep Soul completist.

Plus when you've got a mountain of records to begin with chipping away at a few of 'em doesn't make that much of a dent.........

Ian D :)

Social source share

These people join at the lower end of the market and steadily increase there spending limits as years go on and become more and more obsessive about collecting, I see it every week its a illness. We can all remember that first time we spent way to much, more than we could afford on a tune but once you've done it your hooked its like smoking your first pack tabs.

Cheers Darren

www.raresoul45s.co.uk

In that case, should we be encouraging it? laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Trev ,i would'nt try and read too much into the Tim Brown situation i:e selling a chunk of his collection because he knows something we dont???"

I think it's even simpler than that Nev. If he could raise another £50K to further indulge his new compulsion for visiting every zoo in the world from records he wasn't precious about, then that was probably a factor as well. He's not short of a bob or two but he has two obsessions and the other one involves lots of expensive travelling and hotels so he's simply swapping one vice for another really...... thumbsup.gif

The problem is, had Tim announced with a loud-hailer that he was selling his collection, that could have caused a landslide and ended-up devaluing a lot of records for everyone, hence the reason he wanted to be anonymous. He's not the only one either. It's probably not the best idea in the world to trumpet that you're selling part of your collection is it? Plus Tim's got a huge collection - certainly one of the biggest in the world. I don't blame him for wanting to avoid a panic. In his shoes anyone would do the same wouldn't they........?

Ian D :)

Social source share

I dont think the scene will ever come to a halt as it did before purely down to the diverse demographic the scene has now (its changed massively), combine that with the world wide interest the rare soul scene now generates, things are pretty healthy interest wise.

Getting back to the record mountain, yes if it aint rare or in demand its hard to sell at the moment unless its a classic oldie in prestine condition, then you can command a good price and still shift it.

The rare stuff will always sell and theres plenty of people out there ready to part with there hard earned.

I sold a Jimmy Bo Horne this week and could have sold it 5 times over, in these tough times people are still spending big, and alot of these people ar'nt old stalwarts of the scene these are what you could call relatively new converts over the last 10 or 15 years.

Regarding people selling off there collections and not enough people interested in picking over it I cant see that happening, I think the analogy would be a motorway tail back as some slowly pull away from the front more are joining at the back. These people join at the lower end of the market and steadily increase there spending limits as years go on and become more and more obsessive about collecting, I see it every week its a illness. We can all remember that first time we spent way to much, more than we could afford on a tune but once you've done it your hooked its like smoking your first pack tabs.

The mid range stuff has now found its level but the high end stuff who knows.

Cheers Darren

www.raresoul45s.co.uk

When............????????????

Russ

Social source share

Russ Im saying the scene stutterred around the early ninties in general (lots of people left for various reasons), especially with regard to selling records, ofcourse its all relative really.

Im merely pointing out what I saw and witnessed as a collector and devotee, I remember down here in the southwest you had to attend a scooter rally to hear Northern soul played regular, and the likes of Keith munsell we're djing rallys back then because of the lack of events.

Best Darren

www.raresoul45s.co.uk

Edited by BROWNIE
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert