Listening Required: The Ballads.. Help

Guest Catfish

Guest Catfish

Hi,

I've been offered opportunity to interview Rico from the Ballads on Saturday and have only heard/ know 2 tracks by the Ballads.. 'I can't see your love' and have heard a BIT of 'A Fool'. If anyone can please help by sending me an MP3 of any Ballads tracks other than 'I can't see your love', I would be most grateful.. going to the 100 anniversary so will buy you a pint there, or when I see you!

BTW I am asking this ONLY for research purpose to listen so I can ask relevant questions and will not be using the MP3's to make CD's / send to anyone else, convert into anything, etc..

Also ANY information on the band, e.g. who played what, influences, history, etc, all useful.. sources of anything other than what's already on the net (the same info seems to appear on all the sites referencing them) will be referenced/ credited.

Thank you.

Michele

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi,

I've been offered opportunity to interview Rico from the Ballads on Saturday and have only heard/ know 2 tracks by the Ballads.. 'I can't see your love' and have heard a BIT of 'A Fool'. If anyone can please help by sending me an MP3 of any Ballads tracks other than 'I can't see your love', I would be most grateful.. going to the 100 anniversary so will buy you a pint there, or when I see you!

BTW I am asking this ONLY for research purpose to listen so I can ask relevant questions and will not be using the MP3's to make CD's / send to anyone else, convert into anything, etc..

Also ANY information on the band, e.g. who played what, influences, history, etc, all useful.. sources of anything other than what's already on the net (the same info seems to appear on all the sites referencing them) will be referenced/ credited.

Thank you.

Michele

Hi Michele,

I have

Confessing A Feeling

I Love You, Yeah

The Gift Of Love

This Is Magic

Treat Me Like Your Woman

Some nice stuff from a good group. Lucky you to get to talk yo them!

Will upload them this evening and PM you a link.

thumbsup.gifRossyBoy

Edited by RossyBoy
Social source share

Guest Catfish

Hi Michele,

I have

Confessing A Feeling

I Love You, Yeah

The Gift Of Love

This Is Magic

Treat Me Like Your Woman

Some nice stuff from a good group. Lucky you to get to talk yo them!

Will upload them this evening and PM you a link.

thumbsup.gifRossyBoy

Hi,

Thank you, this is great! I have had another search on refosoul (leaving out 'The'!) and a couple of the above are already on there; 'This is Magic' and 'Gift of Love'- the others will all be new on there, I think, and I would love to hear them!

Cheers, will check them out later at home, let me know when you've uploaded..

Michele

x

Social source share

Here's some more info...............

Group line up : Rico Thompson (lead), Nathan Robertson, Jon Foster, Lesley La Palma

I Can't See Your Love / Part 2 - Wee

I Can't See Your Love / Part 2 - Vee Jay

God Bless Our Love / ? - Soul Trip

Right Track/ Part 2 - Soul Trip (as The Fabulous Ballads)

My Baby Knows How To Treat Her Man / God Bless Our Love - Soul Trip

My Baby Knows How To Treat Her Man / God Bless Our Love - Venture

You're The One / I Love You, Yeah - Venture

Goodnight My Love / Hey Diddle Diddle - Venture

The Gift Of Love / I Wish I Knew - Venture

Baby I'm For Real / Dizzy World - Kimberly

Wait / ? - Happy Fox

Loving You Isn't Enough / I'm Gonna Show You How To Do The Bump - Music City

Confessing The Feeling / Butterfly - Music City

Confessing The Feeling / Butterfli - Balja

Wait / Your Love - Balja

Treat Me Like Your Woman / Don't Touch That Dial - Soul Beat..........Chris Page joined the line up on this

Three Times / Your Love - Balja

I Wish I Knew is totally awesome..........see if you can get Rico to sing a few lines...thumbsup.gif ...it would be good to find out if Leon Ware was ever involved in the line up too.

Good luck with your interview

Social source share

Hi, again, Michele,

Uploading now so will PM you link shortly - have included "Bless Our Love" also.

Here's what I have on The Ballads

From Berkeley, California

Personnel: Nathan Robertson, John Foster, Rico Thompson, Lesley La Palma, Stan Harris

The Ballads hit big in 1968 with "Bless Our Love" (Venture 615) a Chi-Town classic which was written by Billy Butler (brother of Jerry Butler) and was a hit for Gene Chandler in 1964. The Ballad's sultry version of "Bless Our Love" stayed on the R&B tracks for 12 weeks, peaking at No. 8. In Los Angeles the Ballads did a little better climbing to No. 4 on the soul chart at radio station KGFJ. Friends since the late fifties Foster and Harris met while attending Burbank Junior High School – soon after they started singing together as The Holidays. They were joined by Oakland High friends La Palma and Robertson and later by Rico Thompson who was from Delano, California. The group started recording in 1965 as The Fabulous Ballads. By the time the Venture single hit the streets it had been around for about a year. It was first released as Bay View 1142 in 1967, then on the Soul Trip label.

(courtesy of Ruben Molina)

:DRossyBoy

Edited by RossyBoy
Social source share

I Wish I Knew is totally awesome..........see if you can get Rico to sing a few lines...thumbsup.gif ...it would be good to find out if Leon Ware was ever involved in the line up too.

Good luck with your interview

Agree Cliff on "I wish I knew" - also worth mentioning this side has Butterflies in the lyrics as well, so an obvious question is why the obsession with butterflies in their songs......

Social source share

Guest Catfish
On 9/3/2009 at 19:42, RossyBoy said:

Thanks, got the zip thing you sent me link for, sorted! Great clips, lovely quality, as it's allowed me to save them I'm goin to port my laptop along with and can play tracks as conversational 'oil'. Fantastic, thanks!

Mx

Have a list of questions, a head fairly full of Ballads ephemera and an important date at 8pm- better go and make the sandwiches!

Thanks heaps to all for your help- it's been invaluable- couldn't have done this without y'all. xx

Michele

Social source share

'This is magic'...isn't this a different bunch of chaps?

Regardless, it is an AWESOME (and rare) slab of Northern Soul...pure class...sophisticated...tight male group harmonies etc etc...yes I kinda like this one!

thumbsup.gif

Hi, Flynny,

Wasn't paying attention (rap my own knuckles!) - this one is actually out of Philadelphia. I suppose

Ballads was a common enough name for groups across the country (...he said as a feeble excuse...).

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm sure Michele has been put right by now!?!

whistling.gifRossyBoy

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Hi,

Thank you.

Michele

HI

I will put a batch on refosoul

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!