Djs On Top Of Their Game ?

Mike

yeah im fine Toby hope you are too . off to Denmark and Sweden soon thumbsup.gif

Simon save a couple of them blonde groupie girls for me will ya,yeh im fine...good luck not that you need it out there

Toby

Social source share

• Replies 78
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

djs that are doing it for me right now are

Karl Heard, only recently heard him dj and so glad i have good.gif

Keith Money, last 100 Club Keith played an amazing set that wasnt 100mph at about 3.30am and the floor was loving every minute of it, just shows you dont always need stompers to keep a nighter banging thumbup.gif

Butch, cos he always delivers and never fails to do it for me,

Every other dj that is daring to play something different and having the balls to play whats doing it for themselves personaly biggrin.gif

Social source share

Speaking of modern, that there Hampsey guy is up there with the best of em! a collection made in heaven

and another who's master of the spoken word is in another leauge,superb polished performance every time

Way to go Sean!

M.good.gif

:thumbup:

I blush Mark, especially as you aint too shabby either!

Let's just say, I do my best! :D

If my arm was twisted, I'd have to nominate my sidekick TATS as a guy who's well on top of his game at the moment.

He's my kinda DJ, obsessed with Quality over Rarity and never fails to entertain with only the very best in Real Soul Music (the two of us will be at Blah Bar, Barnsley, 26th September incidentally :D).

Good thread this Mike!

Thanks.

:D

Sean

Social source share

Guest BintofSoul

John Aldren and Tony Hatfield last session in the rare room at Bridlington double decking three half hours or more a blinding set of music and huge spontaeneous round of applause at the end with both guys drained emotionaly. Never forget that night. ATB Steve.

Absolutely agree. It was a fantastic set. The best!

Social source share

Any DJ is on top of their game if they keep the floor relatively active. Wheter they play 2K records £200 records or £20 records.

Its how they work the crowd that answers the question and the preparation to fill up their box before they kick off- In other words practising at home to see how one record sounds next to another and changing things around to try an get a good set together.

Being their at the beggining to see whether or not DJs before you play the same tune you planned and be able to substitute to keep it going.

DJing is not just about having big ticket tunes and sticking them on a deck- Theres more to it and Im sure some of the League 2 Djs like me can perform just as well as some of the big boys.

Social source share

John Aldren and Tony Hatfield last session in the rare room at Bridlington double decking three half hours or more a blinding set of music and huge spontaeneous round of applause at the end with both guys drained emotionaly. Never forget that night. ATB Steve.

I experienced it too .... they were brilliant!! Hope to hear them again soon....

Phil

Absolutely agree. It was a fantastic set. The best!

Thanks guys! I'm really pleased that that night seems to have left such a lasting impression and that you felt able to say so. Tony and I were working hard that night and had both done a couple of solo spots over the weekend but it all seemed to come together for that last extended (and unplanned) session; it was a sheer pleasure. Ooops you've set me off again........ :)

Meanwhile, we will indeed be DJing again soon, we'll be at York Soul Night on 3rd October good.gif Or I'll be in Swindon on 12th September and Ramsgate in November, be good to see you there!

Back on topic, my favourites of late have been Carl Willingham who shows he can still push the boundaries a bit and Shane Cox, good DJ and just such a nice guy!! Mention too to Johnny Beggs, controversial maybe but when he hits form........ Oh and of course Des Parker.

Best,

John.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm not surprised Karl is top of most people's list, the couple of times he's done Move On for us, i have just been gobsmacked by the quality of his records.

Another one no one has mentioned (amazingly) is KILLA. thumbup.gif

Social source share

anybody can be at the top of their game if they have a decent collection and theyre given the chance to have a spot......

Mark Ive seen DJs with top collections make an absolute mess of it because they didnt think very much about it and didnt react to the crowd or lack of it on the dance floor- Great tunes and rare but didnt hit it off in the selection together.- It also depends on what type of night as well especially across the board where you have to glide one genre into another- That does take thought and skill to keep the floor going without a mass exodus.

Weve alll made that mistake- My Classic was follwoing someone who had played apredominantly Motown spot- My first record was Push & - Judson Moore- Push & pull and it cleared the floor- It took a few records to get the crowd back in and was hard work.

Tell me - What goes with Christine Quaite before & after:laugh:

ATB Steve

Social source share

anybody can be at the top of their game if they have a decent collection and theyre given the chance to have a spot......

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

A little bit more too it than that...

Some djs just have that extra special something at times, its a thing you can't always put into words...

You can give the same paint to ten people but you will not get the Picasso from all..

How many times have i heard the same record played by different djs, sometimes it can sound fantastic in a thought out set and other times it can be like a wet fart in a lift...

Social source share

Its not what you got its how you put them together good.gif

And Bearsy you are one of them DJs who can put a great set together,because you think about it and play with passion

(put the cheque in the post mate...only messin mate....you are a good DJ).

Toby

Social source share

Guest welshruss

There,s a guy in North Wales that does it for me every time,doubt most know the fella,but every time i hear him play its spot on - Phil Blacknell.....Good bloke too.

Social source share

For me its got to be Simon Preston, but as so many of the soulies dont travel down south, your not gonna know that, cud mix it with all the above mentioned, no probsthumbup.gif

I know SIMON, nice to see the southern boys get a mention so whilst we are at it, DAVE GREET from Southampton/SLondon, top quality DJ great records, great taste, good to see him getting acknowledged on here after the last YATE revival Niter, also SHAY originally from BURNLEY, Southampon since '73, brilliant 70s spots when he gets the chance.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I know SIMON, nice to see the southern boys get a mention so whilst we are at it, DAVE GREET from Southampton/SLondon, top quality DJ great records, great taste, good to see him getting acknowledged on here after the last YATE revival Niter, also SHAY originally from BURNLEY, Southampon since '73, brilliant 70s spots when he gets the chance.thumbsup.gif

hi rich, guy couch & roger saint have been known to throw together some good sets in there time

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Martin Stanford and Keith Wilcox for me in Peterborough are 2 DJ's i admire and every time they DJ they never fail. Keith for his oldies and Martin for the sheer mixture and if i wanted someone for Modern onlines i would say Dave Forrest

Social source share

Bob Hinsley

Robbo

Sean Chapman

I know Middleton has gone but any DJ who could hold a regular spot at either Middleton or now Maxims at Wigan gets my vote.

You just expect magic at these events and I truly believe that it is a rare case of both the dancers and the DJ interacting with each other.

I think that any DJ who can resist the same old same old and yet still inspire the dances is a rare thing and quite magical when it happens.

Social source share

Bob Hinsley

Robbo

Sean Chapman

I know Middleton has gone but any DJ who could hold a regular spot at either Middleton or now Maxims at Wigan gets my vote.

You just expect magic at these events and I truly believe that it is a rare case of both the dancers and the DJ interacting with each other.

I think that any DJ who can resist the same old same old and yet still inspire the dances is a rare thing and quite magical when it happens.

Didnt you forget someone whistling.giflaugh.gif xxxxx

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Martin Stanford and Keith Wilcox for me in Peterborough are 2 DJ's i admire and every time they DJ they never fail. Keith for his oldies and Martin for the sheer mixture and if i wanted someone for Modern onlines i would say Dave Forrest

Martin has one of my votes . He's comin to York to spin a few at the Riley Smith warm -up thumbsup.gif

North Yorkshire Soul Club- prior to the main event @ the magnificent Riley Smith Hall, Tadcaster nr York

https://www.imonmyway.me.uk/

there's a free warm-up event @The Falcon. Sat 17th Oct. 3pm-8pm.

Fantastic tunes from quality Guest DJs .

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

over the last year , the guest DJs and residents at York Soul Club www.yorksoulclub.com are getting critical aclaim and typically at the last night there - 5th Sept (which unfortunally for us clashed with 100 Club Anniversary which prompts , again , mention of Butch ) Agree with earlier mentions of Karl Heard thumbup.gif

Manifesto Soul Club Friday 11th Sept

Marine Villa Road , Knottingley. West Yorkshire

guest DJs Andy Bellwood& Dale Byers /Alex Simms & Rosie

JACK KITCHING CHARITY APPEAL EVENT FRIDAY 11 DEC (FREE CD TO 1ST 50 )

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

For me it has to be Butch, Alex Jones, Phil Wainwright, Keith Money and not to mention the delightful Mrs Joan Livesey who tops the girlies by miles. (no offence ladies)!!!

Social source share