Djs On Top Of Their Game ?

Mike

• Replies 78
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mick H and Cliff Steele's spots at Lifeline on Saturday night..most of the stuff played i had never heard before..but i was totally blown away ..not saying that the rest of the Djs were bad at all ..but there was just something about those two spots which really thrilled me....Delxxxx

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

andy dyson 2 burnleys ago.....4 in the morning and fecking kicking

karl herd as above

any dj that knows what the crowd are thinking.............sadly that ain't many it ain't just about RARE it's about getting with the night time programe.....tezza

Social source share

I'd love to put a thumb up Sean Chapman; he played at the Hipshakers do on Saturday night this weekend at The Isle of Wight Scooter Rally. I love enthusiasm and when the dance floor finds it infectious it becomes special. Sean thanks for playing "Twinkle Little Star" for me. You get a special mention today for doing your best to stop the knobbers taking their drinks onto the dance floor, my pet hate!

I have taken the liberty of adding a little write up about my exploits on the island, please feel free to comment and mods do NOT move this to the events page or I will put a thumb up you!

IOW 2009

Pictures on here: https://www.tafsc.com/IOW2009DS.htm

With the crack of an engine and the blue sting of oily smoke the IOW was in reach. The cars shuffle off slowly joining their frustrating que that will lead them on to their weekend holiday destinations. For us it was towards Rhyd and toward the biggest Scootering weekend on the planet.

The noise from two hundred scooters was a prelude to the weekend and the bustling ferry crews tried forlornly to stop us from revving up. Amongst the Island dialect you could hear the faint sound of German 'twang", a distant reminder of The IOW's war time history.

The IOW's occupation is part of our hidden history, many of the islanders where brave members of The Rhyd Rsistance yet most of Cowes collaborated with the Germans. To this day German is still spoken in some of the smaller villages on the south side of the island especially in those villages closest to the Deutsche Marine U boat base.

Soon it was our turn to disembark, the overnight crossing from Southend to the IOW was expensive to say the least but the extra £20 to upgrade to a cabin was well worth it and I was feeling refreshed and raring to go after a night in the Moonlight lounge on C deck.

This year I had left our travel arrangements to Derek as we had decided against camping due to my back giving me a bit of jip and we rode the last remaining 600 meters to our BnB literally around them corner from the ferry and just 13 miles from the nearest Scootering event this meant a £6 bus trip followed by a £35 taxi ride back to our digs, we spent £123 on taxis and busses over the weekend, well done Derek!

Three days n nights of full on reveling became a bit of a blur with the only real memory left being that of my bank manager texting me every three hours and begging me to stop. It was an expensive to do even with my Primark man bag filled with beer bought from Somerfield's, expensive but worth it.

The sun made a more than welcome appearance and the sea front was transformed into a crazy world of middle aged men riding beautiful scooters and the carnival atmosphere reigned supreme from start to finish. I did think the numbers where down a little this year but it was nice to see the dreadful gated section not being used on the Esplanade, last year it caused a lot of ill feeling so it was great to see things back to normal.

Sitting here now on Tuesday morning after riding 244 miles on a Sneterton racing seat and not quite being able to move my back properly, I sit and reflect whether it was worth it? Mmmm difficult one this, but I will have to say yes and yes I will be back. It was excellent to see so many club members on the island even though we hadn't planned any official meetings is was kinda nice to meander at leisure with no pressure and to be honest every one gets swallowed up in the spectacle of the weekend.

Great weather and I took the opportunity on the Sunday to ride around the island sight seeing, never done this before and it is a must! The island has a rich history, including a brief status as an independent kingdom in the 15th century. Badger-baiting is still legal on the island and I visited Atherfield on the south side to watch a couple of fights.

Conscious of the time I made for Rookley to visit Dave Plenty's grandparents who are now in their nineties but still very much with it. I was greeted with a hand shake that nearly broke my wrist and it was seconds before a cold German beer was thrust into my hand. Dieter Plenty arrived on the island in 1940 along with the Kampfgruppe and married Margaret three weeks later. The German hospitality was warm and friendly and I was invited to join them for the Beerfest at Sandown, sadly time was not on my side so I reluctantly said no "Der Vogel fliegt am schnellsten"

Mega scooter rally, mega weather and mega mates!

Social source share

Andy Dyson at the Hip City last year, started his last blinding set at 3 and finished after 8 am...must go down in the history of NS as one of the longest sets ever as well

Tim Brown with his second set at the Hip City in April...wonderfull stuff combined in an awesome great flow!

Butch almost everytime...

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

caught the last 20 mins of Karl H spot on Sunday

thought was superb - everything seemed to come together (sounds. crowd, atmosphere) giving out a most enjoyable experience

thumbsup.gif

any one else have any thumbs up nominations

IMHO the best dj around at the moment Mike, always sends it crazy (oh and me in my own living room of course, where i always get a standing ovation)

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Mik Parry and Gav Arno spinning in the R&B room at Sheffield Brighton Beach a few years back. Total buzz from start to finish, was good to see them jumping from behind the decks so they could have a dance too. I only left the dancefloor to use the loo. Music was that good that i didn't even bother with the bar!!!

Social source share

On a more modern note, John Kane deserves a mention:

The mans sheer enthusiam, professionalism and love of his music shines through from start to finish of his sets.

Its not just the music, his delivery is in a differant leauge, the way he constantly monitors his dancers

and works the floor is superb, and his use of the microphone is nothing short of 'radio class'

A joy to watch & listen to, if you get the chance go see him grab it.thumbsup.gif

Speaking of modern, that there Hampsey guy is up there with the best of em! a collection made in heaven

and another who's master of the spoken word is in another leauge,superb polished performance every time

Way to go Sean!

M.good.gif

Social source share

"On a more modern note, John Kane deserves a mention:

The mans sheer enthusiam, professionalism and love of his music shines through from start to finish of his sets.

Its not just the music, his delivery is in a differant leauge, the way he constantly monitors his dancers

and works the floor is superb, and his use of the microphone is nothing short of 'radio class'

A joy to watch & listen to, if you get the chance go see him grab it. "

I can vouch for this too, great DJ and a lovely guy to boot. Had the pleasure of hearing him DJ last year out in Asturias.

Social source share

Marco "Hoochy Coochy" Santucci (the dj name he now wants to be known as), ahead of the competition by a country mile, and yes I am a good mate but thats my ears and feet making the judgement on the last 3 relatively recent outings.

Closely followed by Karl Heard, who I actually very rarely hear out but when I do he always makes me dance and smile, him and Marco recently was marriage made in heaven (just dont tell there prospective partners....)

Paul Sadot last twice was on fire, probably not for every venue (and thats not a slight on Paul, more a comment on todays scene) but worth a booking for the more adventurous out there.

And someone nowhere near the top of his game in my opinion, because he just doesn't have to, but still the best rare soul DJ on this planet by a country mile is Butch, a name very rarely mentioned on here, wonder why.............

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest aintgotit

simon hunt at sixhills a fortnight ago. made stringing a few tunes together seem like a piece of piss.jumpin joan whenever i ve had the great good fortune to hear her play. ted at last bidds i went to in june i think just a week after a barnsley do i think ,both made me think hard about what i have said in the past about r&b and realise what an unctious prick i must have sounded like. wibblin about tempo n guitar sounds n other bollox when i should really have listened to more of it not less. Now im a suitably sanctified unctious prick ,heh heh.

Social source share

Marco "Hoochy Coochy" Santucci (the dj name he now wants to be known as), ahead of the competition by a country mile, and yes I am a good mate but thats my ears and feet making the judgement on the last 3 relatively recent outings.

Closely followed by Karl Heard, who I actually very rarely hear out but when I do he always makes me dance and smile, him and Marco recently was marriage made in heaven (just dont tell there prospective partners....)

Paul Sadot last twice was on fire, probably not for every venue (and thats not a slight on Paul, more a comment on todays scene) but worth a booking for the more adventurous out there.

And someone nowhere near the top of his game in my opinion, because he just doesn't have to, but still the best rare soul DJ on this planet by a country mile is Butch, a name very rarely mentioned on here, wonder why.............

I would have to agree with you there Jock

.......I'm a man of few words but Jock more than makes up for that, being a man of many :thumbup:

Edited by Val (Chunky)
Social source share

Butch has to be always there, but Aberdeen local lad Alan Patterson never fails to hit the spot............ there,s also a young up and coming Scottish lad by the name of Jock O'Connor thats SO underated :thumbup:

Social source share

As an 'oldies' person ,for want of a better word its more difficult for me to comment...............however I went to Junction 17 in leafy Sandbach in South Cheshire last month.

One of the guest DJ's was Phil Dick. I must say he did a magnificent set.(not saying the other dj's didnt)--- A 'true' mix of everything --rare,oldies,underplayed,rnb, the whole bloody gambit!!

Even an unreleased 'newie'rolleyes.gif

Must say he hit the spot for me and a majority in there by the looks of things. Credit where credits due--well thought out and kept everyones interest.yes.gif

Well done that manthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Butch was fanastic I though Saturday at Lifeline, and the previous one, He's the best on the planet. Andy Dyson ain't far behind either IMHO.

Absolutely right, both leading the way in their own individual ways. A bit like the roman consuls back in the day before Cesar when always two of them shared the power to rule the empire ;-)

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Heard Steve Guarnori 3 times out this year, Sunflower Lounge, Monumental and Hob Goblin all dayer, all were great but the hob goblin was awesome !!!

Social source share

In reality for as long as i can remember the top is a 1 man show,not just northern but most genres and styles mr dobson.

my reason for posting is having heard most of the above names they are all enthusiastic,progressive and most importantly nice folk and a credit to the scene !

Social source share

Bob Hinsley is the man innocent.gif

Be it Northern or Modern he is just QUALITY thumbsup.gif

marching on together

31_BAB17.jpg

yep! when it comes to 'all rounders' Bob Hinsley, Neil Rushton & Barry Maleady get me all excited whatever room I'm in... biggrin.gif

Best northern Jock for me is still Yocky this year, enjoyied his spot again at weekend. thumbup.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

John Aldren and Tony Hatfield last session in the rare room at Bridlington double decking three half hours or more a blinding set of music and huge spontaeneous round of applause at the end with both guys drained emotionaly. Never forget that night. ATB Steve.

I experienced it too .... they were brilliant!! Hope to hear them again soon....

Phil

Social source share

For me i have a few.

1 Butch ...for rare factor and a good bloke anyway,

2 Keith Money...for never failing to treat me with them sounds hes got,

3 & 4 ...Karl Heard & Marco...put these two blokes on the same bill and your in for a real treat we did it at Groovesville and were they good or what.

5 Pete Hullat...Knows how to play a good set with style.

6 Steve G...Never never lets anyone down with his choice of records,

7 Bearsy...An up and coming DJ that plays with passion and sincerity,

8 Cliffe Steel...Up there with the best of them imo.

9 Ady Croasdell...Always turns up something nice to play.

10 Nick hackett...Needs more outings to make shine thru' to show us all that does have SOUL.

Edited by toby
Social source share

Nick & Marco are on at the next Va Va Voom, so should be a top night :smile:

Always a pleasure to hear Pete Hulatt play as well, some mighty 45s in his collection thumbsup.gif

Now thats a offer i cant refuse now can i mulf ...see ya then matey,hows Ady L these days aint seen him in ages..?

Toby

Social source share

"Now thats a offer i cant refuse now can i mulf ...see ya then matey,hows Ady L these days aint seen him in ages..?

Toby"

Hello mate

Luppers is fine, spoke to him earlier, hope you are well yourself..... thumbsup.gif

Flyer for the next VVV will be up in the next couple of weeks...

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Im shocked you missed out Soul Sam , Toby . No 1 for rare Modern and takes a lot of chances even today ph34r.gif

I know Simon but i was elsewhere on an offer i could not refuse etc,

Hope you are well young man,long time no see and all that..

But i did see Sam at Lifeline on Saturday and quite outstanding imo

Toby

Social source share

I know Simon but i was elsewhere on an offer i could not refuse etc,

Hope you are well young man,long time no see and all that..

But i did see Sam at Lifeline on Saturday and quite outstanding imo

Toby

yeah im fine Toby hope you are too . off to Denmark and Sweden soon thumbsup.gif

Social source share