Jesse James On Shirley

Guest Dan

• Replies 51
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

a thousand times better than Arcades for me, though I do like both.

would have had the copy of Jesse James coming from Japan at that price. Gareth can you get me a link to the item so I can contact the seller please?

Ta

link

wouldn't say 1000 times but agree it's better

backing track ripped off from the impressions though, right?

Social source share

Billy, the link to the Japanese seller is gone, it was more than six months ago. The Impressions track it shares a similarity to is "I'm The One Who Loves You", also done in fine style by Jerry Butler on VeeJay.

I personally think the Jesse James is by far the best of any of these records, and I'd love a copy too. I think I'm correct in saying it's the last release on Shirley, hence its rarity.

Social source share

Billy, the link to the Japanese seller is gone, it was more than six months ago. The Impressions track it shares a similarity to is "I'm The One Who Loves You", also done in fine style by Jerry Butler on VeeJay.

I personally think the Jesse James is by far the best of any of these records, and I'd love a copy too. I think I'm correct in saying it's the last release on Shirley, hence its rarity.

link

Jerry Butler is a brilliant cheap alternative & one that i've been spinning at SITC for last 6 months on & off, much superior to the Impressions IMO, but the Jesse James I must agree is the mutts wotsits! :wicked: (wish I had one)

Dave G

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

A record I'd walk over hot coals for contains the great line " make me a beggar or make me a king " Pure class :wicked:

Social source share

A truly boring and super-average record, as is the Arcades, and as for it sounding similar to I'm The One Who Loves You, it's exactly the same! If thats worth £1000 then the Impressions must be priceless.

You Stafford lovers, you make me laugh.

Social source share

A truly boring and super-average record, as is the Arcades, and as for it sounding similar to I'm The One Who Loves You, it's exactly the same!  If thats worth £1000 then the Impressions must be priceless.

link

Well I love it, great record...you Wigan lovers you make me laugh :wicked::lol:

Sure I had a 1996 version of this too...off one of his lp's I think.

Social source share

Guest ZTSC

Well I love it, great record...you Wigan lovers you make me laugh  :wicked:   :lol:

Sure I had a 1996 version of this too...off one of his lp's I think.

link

We talked about this at the last Wilton - One of the Aycliffe lads walked off the floor with me , shook it his head and uttered the words "Perfection" and it is

Kev J

Social source share

A truly boring and super-average record, as is the Arcades, and as for it sounding similar to I'm The One Who Loves You, it's exactly the same!  If thats worth £1000 then the Impressions must be priceless.

link

all those years of listening to that reggae shit must have really fucked your ears up

Social source share

oh this is so soulful, look at me, I appreciate proper music...pretentious tossers  :graywanker:

link

ooh this has got a great skankin' beat, all the gansters love it, blues parties, who's skinnin up then, pass the rrrred stripe, skinhead moonstomp, teacosy on me head, i love the island sound maaaan

lip up brummie, lip up, lip up brummie, brummie lip up

Social source share

ooh this has got a great skankin' beat, all the gansters love it, blues parties, who's skinnin up then, pass the rrrred stripe, skinhead moonstomp, teacosy on me head, i love the island sound maaaan

lip up brummie, lip up, lip up brummie, brummie lip up

link

What's a ganster?

I've never been to a blues party.

I don't smoke dope.

I don't drink red stripe.

most importantly

I am not a Brummie.

Social source share

What's a ganster?

I've never been to a blues party.

I don't smoke dope.

I don't drink red stripe.

most importantly

I am not a Brummie.

link

Stop having a go at Pete, he knows more about Shirley Temple records that the lot of you combined.

Col.

Social source share

What are you talking about?

link

well,

Oh f*ck off

link

and

oh this is so soulful, look at me, I appreciate proper music...pretentious tossers  :graywanker:

link

You normally turn your hog right out when people reply to you like that whistling.gif

Love,

Godz

Social source share

Guest remus

well,

and

You normally turn your hog right out when people reply to you like that unsure.gif

Love,

Godz

link

what the f**k is 'hog right out' when it's at home?, are you a sweaty or sumink?

.....come to think of it, what the f**k does 'when it's at home' mean?, shit, I 've created a paradox!, wheres Simsy when you need 'im!

Social source share

A copy in Japan went unsold on ebay (twice) for $1000. As you say, a brilliant record.

link

I think you are wrong Gareth. First there was a copy from an american that sold for around $1800 to a well known UK DJ, the japanese seller obviously saw that and put his copy up at $1500 and despite being in better condition than the previous one, it did not sell. He then put it up at $1200 and then it sold with one bid from another well known UK DJ. Maybe there was another copy from Japan up twice recently, but I really don't think so. I'd say the price is in the range of £600 - £1000 with £1000 being expensive. When Manship last had it he got around £860. Tim Brown auctioned one on someone's behalf some time back but he did not even get £700 which was the minimum bid. A friend of mine over here recently bought a copy on ebay (properly listed under R&B and with complete scans/titles etc.) for the massive sum of $53. :thumbsup: Yes, it is true, I was not too happy since I like it myself and during those few days I did not watch ebay it goes for $53! ranting_1.gifthumbsup.gif I'll probably read what I wrote written by someone else in a couple of days since no one ever reads what I write, but now you know, if you read, but I guess you won't...

Social source share

no one ever reads what I write

link

yes we do you nutter

very informative ta (don't suppose your friend want to sell his $53 copy??)

Social source share

yes we do you nutter

very informative ta (don't suppose your friend want to sell his $53 copy??)

link

I think he really likes it so I guess not. I e-mailed the seller (of the $53 copy) and offered 'a bit more' in case they should have or find another copy, never got a reply. I was also in touch with the japanese record dealer about trading for the copy that eventually went for $1200 (soon to be seen on an auction near you? :thumbsup: ) and he only had the one copy. Too hot to type over here almost, phew. ranting_1.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Thanks for clarifying this Christian. I know the Japanese one went unsold once, and was watching it until nearly the bitter end when it was re-listed, and it was still bidless. On reflection the rice was about right. This has never really been a cheap record (apart from your friend's good fortune, that is).

Anyway, I musn't go over the top in praising this record too much, that would merely be pretentious.

Social source share

Thanks for clarifying this Christian. I know the Japanese one went unsold once, and was watching it until nearly the bitter end when it was re-listed, and it was still bidless. On reflection the rice was about right. This has never really been a cheap record (apart from your friend's good fortune, that is).

Anyway, I musn't go over the top in praising this record too much, that would merely be pretentious.

link

Absolutely.

Social source share

Thanks for clarifying this Christian. I know the Japanese one went unsold once, and was watching it until nearly the bitter end when it was re-listed, and it was still bidless. On reflection the rice was about right.

link

is this a deliberate pun, gareth?

Social source share

There's no need to be saki.

Hammy

link

he's sushi nice guy, as well.

anyway, enough of this balls. i'm honda way to the pub.

Social source share

Dan, you give me more credit than I deserve. Here's a soundfile for those who haven't heard it. Would welcome any feedback from those who are new to this track.

link

Yes that will cause a stampede to the dancefloor!

Good singer but 10th rate B side material, uninspiring and boring, as befitting those people who like it

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Yes that will cause a stampede to the dancefloor!

Good singer but 10th rate B side material, uninspiring and boring, as befitting those  people who like it

link

If I knew you weren't kidding, I'd laugh in your general direction. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dan, you give me more credit than I deserve. Here's a soundfile for those who haven't heard it. Would welcome any feedback from those who are new to this track.

link

Cheers for sticking the track up Gareth. Just brilliant.

Noticed its also available on Goldmine's Rare Soul Heaven CD, which Ive just received.

Its probably the stand out track, but there's an awful lot of other good rare soul on there.

Col.

ps Good to see you at the Rocket.

Social source share

Me and Richard are massive fans of this.

The Arcades is amazing, the Jesse James is sublime.

When Arthur Fenn played this on our radio show, we sat there astonished and simply melted into the chair. It's as perfect as a soul record can be. Pleading, passionate and lyrically and musically stunning.

Sorry Pete, pretentious or not, few come better.....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert