Motown/northern?

had the pleasure of spending time with a Peterboro bloke who used to do the Mod all-nighters in the mid 60's..Cut a 2 hour chat very short he suggested that stuff on Tamla/Stax and altlantic will never be beaten and that Northern was a piss take....

Ummmm, could have argued however like Arnie said." I'll be back' with a cd of no Motwon recording that to your ear you'd think were...

Need some help,

2 non motown tracks that sound Motownish, if that makes sense....can you help me with some ideas????

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

KIM WESTON - 'You're just the kind of Guy' MGM - Written and produced by Willie Stevenson after they'd left Motown, fooking brilliant underplayed Northern oldie and carrying a motownesque feel that would fool anybody who did not know!thumbsup.gif

had the pleasure of spending time with a Peterboro bloke who used to do the Mod all-nighters in the mid 60's..Cut a 2 hour chat very short he suggested that stuff on Tamla/Stax and altlantic will never be beaten and that Northern was a piss take....

Ummmm, could have argued however like Arnie said." I'll be back' with a cd of no Motwon recording that to your ear you'd think were...

Need some help,

2 non motown tracks that sound Motownish, if that makes sense....can you help me with some ideas????

Social source share

Not sure what the fook happened with that posting PAUL, things got a little scrambled!!!

Anyway...

KIM WESTON - 'You're just the kid of guy' MGM - See comments that have somehow been attributed to you!thumbup.gif

Social source share

Impressions - Can't Satisfy

Devonnes - Someone To Treat Me

etc.

To be honest... Peterboro Old Mod Bloke does have a point!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

In the broad sense, yes I have always agreed with that!whistling.gif

Social source share

Need some help,

Paul....you're mate sounds more blinkered than some on here 6.gif .........anything by the Sapphires on ABC, most things on Ric-Tic and let him work that one out...... g.gif

Social source share

Need some help,

tony clarke landslide on chess

Edited by rhino
Social source share

Agreed - shows what influence Mickey Stevenson had on the 'Motown' sound.

Incredible tune!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Yeah and a diamond example of how the scene has neglected some utterly magnificent records over the years....How this has not been a top oldie has always baffled me, chorus has a great 'George Kerr' style feel...bought my issue donkeys years ago for a fiver and a pristine demo in New York for five dollars two years ago. Gone up a bit I've noticed but still a cheapo top quality record, production and vocal-wise....this and things like 'Thats groovy' do indeed show off what a talent MICKEY STEVENSON was. Awesome stuff!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Great question!! thumbsup.gif

Younghearts-A Little Togetherness (Sounds like Smokey and The Miracles)

Lillie Bryant- Meet Me Halfway (Sounds like This Old Heart Of Mine)

Lillie Bryant - Fantastic recordthumbup.gif

Social source share

If you have a record that was recorded by the same musicians as motown, produced by motown producers but not technically on motown, isn't that not really proving anything?? A lot of those detroit things (Ric Tic etc) are they really far away enough from Motown to qualify??

Social source share

If you have a record that was recorded by the same musicians as motown, produced by motown producers but not technically on motown, isn't that not really proving anything?? A lot of those detroit things (Ric Tic etc) are they really far away enough from Motown to qualify??

The Uptights - Shy guy

The Secrets -I feel a thrill coming on

The Young Folk - Lonely Girl

Social source share

Jackie Ross - Selfish One

and Jerk and Twine

...and loads more: Keep Your Chin Up, Take Me For a Little While, Honey Dear etc etc. In fairness most of these were recorded in Detroit although released on Chess. Can't remember if it was the Funk Brothers playing on them?

Social source share

Impressions You've been cheating

Chris Jackson Ill never forget you (Kendricks style falsetto)

Paul Anka Cant help lovin you.

Problem there is I'd guess that they were all influenced by Motown.

Social source share

Bob Brady & The Con Chords - Everybody's Going To The Love In/More, More, More Of Your Love.

Now there's a man who wanted to be Smokey. The problem is Paul, is that he'll never probably admit

to liking the stuff and will likely say 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but it's a pale imitation mate'.

Isn't that what mainstream Black music journos have been telling us for 40+ years. On the other hand you

might be lucky and win another convert.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert