and The 'funkiest' Soul Record Of All Time Is?

Has someone offered to sue him, have him beaten up or or offered to show him an especially good time?

In some quarters , that combination is deemed a pleasure .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 97
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Has someone offered to sue him, have him beaten up or or offered to show him an especially good time?

I did get a rather attractive offer from SAGA Holidays.

Here is another funky classic with the added bonus that the video was shot at a meeting of the local Clitheroe Rotary Club

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Thanks for that Rod, one of my all time faves :wicked:

That redman song is classic, one funny reference is in the lords of the underground video for "what I'm after" where they sample "tonight's the night" they actually have redman do a cameo for the sample part (not gonna post the video to further derail the thread).

Social source share

That redman song is classic, one funny reference is in the lords of the underground video for "what I'm after" where they sample "tonight's the night" they actually have redman do a cameo for the sample part (not gonna post the video to further derail the thread).

that reminds me of a legit post to the thread though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_uMSd4xOM

Social source share

lets hear it for the 9ts

love it takes me back to when I was about 14 or 15 really into my hiphop back then I remember my whole room covered in posters of PE, Eric B & Rankim LLCool J

Edited by fifesouly
Social source share

Glad you liked it Rod,

It's Real Deal Phatass Phunk!

Groovin... and Dealin' with the Feelin'

An...

...turned out nice again, ant it!

:wicked:

Sean

Yes Sean. Since Ribble Borough Council twinned Clitheroe with Compton it's certainly opened my eyes and ears. There were a couple of letters to the local paper but on the whole I think it's been a good thing.

The opening of the local "Glocks R Us" store has brought much needed employment to the town and luxury car sales have risen dramatically along with drive-by shootings. Arising out of a dispute between the Rotary and local Conservative club; hopefully these will reduce over time as we've now swapped our Bingo night to Tuesday removing the cause of the friction.

The craic in the local Irish club has never been better although you do have to smoke it outside.

ROD

Social source share

Yes Sean. Since Ribble Borough Council twinned Clitheroe with Compton it's certainly opened my eyes and ears. There were a couple of letters to the local paper but on the whole I think it's been a good thing.

The opening of the local "Glocks R Us" store has brought much needed employment to the town and luxury car sales have risen dramatically along with drive-by shootings. Arising out of a dispute between the Rotary and local Conservative club; hopefully these will reduce over time as we've now swapped our Bingo night to Tuesday removing the cause of the friction.

The craic in the local Irish club has never been better although you do have to smoke it outside.

ROD

Respec Rod!

I'm all for twinning.

As always been one of me own fantasiz!

You da man!

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

Anybody remember TROUBLE FUNK constantly playing there stuff in the LATE 80s thanks to my brother going to the states and bringing back one of there live Lps drop the bomb

Anything the godfather James Brown done FUNKY and them some

Edited by fifesouly
Social source share

.........And the winner is...Fight The Power-The Isley Brothers... thumbup.gifboxing.gif

boxing.gif SO SO MANY? JR WALKER - "BLOW THE HOUSE DOWN" VOCAL - MOTOWN TMGT1318 12" 45.

JAMES BROWN - "LICKING STICK" - KING 45-6166.....FRED WESLEY & THE JB,s - "BACKSTABBERS" - MOJO 2093-025B...

BOBBY BYRD - "HANG IT UP" - BROWNSTONE - 45-4203 ... MACEO & THE MACKS - "ACROSS THE TRACKS" - PEOPLE PE 647

BOBY BYRD - "SAYING IT AND DOIN IT ARE TWO DIFFERANT THINGS" - MOJO 2093 028 A...

LOWELL FULSOM - "TRAMP" FONTANA - TF 795 A... SEEDS OF THE EARTH - "PLANTING SEEDS" - CONTEMPO CS.2052..

AND TO FINISH WITH - JAMES BROWN - "SHADES OF BROWN" (PT2) _ KING 45-6216..wicked.gif THERE YOU GO! SOMETHING FOR ALL OF YOU IN 23 MINUTES OF PLAYING TIMEph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

probably get slated for this but here goes anyway,

while the thread is in a scottish mode how about,

average white band, picking up the pieces. or as james brown called them the less than average white band

Social source share

Yes your fellow countryman Mr. Cosgrove wes well into that Go-Go thing. It never really broke through though like hip-hop.

ROD

Yes Rod, tho Trouble Funk and Chuck Brown played sellout gigs in London back in the mid 80s and go-go was a mainstay on dj"s playlists there(London) for a couple of years.

But you"re right it hardly broke through pop like hip hop did

Cheers "good to go" Paul

Social source share

Yes Rod, tho Trouble Funk and Chuck Brown played sellout gigs in London back in the mid 80s and go-go was a mainstay on dj"s playlists there(London) for a couple of years.

But you"re right it hardly broke through pop like hip hop did

Cheers "good to go" Paul

Didnt we go a see trouble funk Paco ? :D

Social source share

Pick Up The Pieces,was and is great,and who is playing that sax?? Sure that one of them was calleds Hamish...Great stuff! :thumbup:

:boxing: PROBERLY A BLACK SESSION MUSICION WHO ONLY GOT PAID FOR THE SESSION, YOU KNOW LIKE THE BLOKE WHO PLAYED THE SAX ON BAKER STREET? NO I AM JOKING BUT IF IT WAS TRUE, WHAT COULD WE DO GANG?:ph34r: DAVE KIL

Social source share

Cos my 'funkiest' was with a small 'F' cos l was really tired when l posted it.. :thumbup:

But don't you think that it's very close to 'Dance To The Music'?? Both are great though!! :tumbleweed3:

Never liked "So is the sun" and I still dont,many of the tunes mentioned above I don't like either,But then agian who am I to comment on other peoples musical likes or dislikes,Did it once on here,you would have thought I'd killed someone,

A lot of tracks I used to think FUNKY are'nt anymore,But then again as a 16 yr old(back in the days)Loads of tunes where FUNKY,

I just did'nt get "them" at the time,

Listen to them now though and like them,

FUNKY tunes to me as a kid were The Originals "Down to love town", Brass Construction "Ha cha cha",Fat Larry's band "Center city",Barbara Pennigton "24 Hours a day",The french fries "Dance a ala music",Even Car Wash I thought was FUNKY,

The reason behind the above mentioned tracks being FUNKY, Was the Blackpool Mecca crew invading the Ritz in Manchester,All wearing plastic sandals,skin tight pants and Mohair jumpers,and all dancing together(well I say dancing)just walking backwards and forwards holding hands behind ears,

Anyway call me old fashioned if you like

This post as been re-read by the poster,

And no intention to imply that the above mentioned are or where dickheads,

But as the old saying goes "If the cap fits"

I'll get slated for this one Webby

Grant

Social source share

Pick Up The Pieces,was and is great,and who is playing that sax?? Sure that one of them was calleds Hamish...Great stuff! :thumbup:

There were two sax players on " PUTP " - Malcolm ( Molly ) Duncan and Roger Ball , who were known as The Dundee Horns .

The Hamish you refer to Phil , was Hamish Stuart .

Malc Burton

Social source share

You're up early Malc.

Or have you not gone to bed yet?

:thumbup:

Sean

I was up early my good friend . I had risen to go for a leak and could not settle when I went back , hence being at the keyboard ......

Your excuse ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

boxing.gif HOW ABOUT "WHY DID YOU DO IT" BY STRECH - ANCHOR RECORDS ANC1021, AS A BRILLIANT NON FUNK - FUNK SOUND?thumbup.gif AS FEATURED IN THE GREAT "LOCK STOCK AND 2 SMOKING BARRALS" FILM, good.gif I HAVE JUST PLAYED IT, AND FOR A 75 SOUND IT HAS EVERYTHING GOING FOR IT, THAT,S PROBERLEY WHY IT WAS USED IN THE FILM?ph34r.gif DAVE KIL.
Social source share

Googled it there and listened to it,FUNK INDEED...But was Low Rider funkier? Don't think so,but was so much cooler!! thumbsup.gif:thumbup:

i reckon "me and baby brother" was the funkiest thing they did,i know what you mean about "low rider"being cooler, always reckoned that was deliberately written as a cruising tune and not really as a killer floorshaker! by the way it was'76 not '73 and banbarra was '75, that was a really big funk record down south then,surprised nobody else mentioned it :huh: maybe it was regional?

Social source share

Hi ALison ... can I join you ..where is my afro icon ?

I still love beginning of the end Funky Nassau and also Bobby Byrd You know you got soul ...remember the MC :smile: I do have a selectionof about 8 records in my collection that give me a funk injection now and then. The soul sister ....Marva Whitney's Unwind yourself is in there for sure. and defo some Spanky Wilson Kissing my love .

Actially I think that slower version of Pat & the neurotics is quite funky ..fits nice in a funk set as does Koffi's you build a wall between us.

Carms

Edited by Carms
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ALison ... can I join you ..where is my afro icon ?

I still love beginning of the end Funky Nassau and also Bobby Byrd You know you got soul ...remember the MC smile.gif I do have a selectionof about 8 records in my collection that give me a funk injection now and then. The soul sister ....Marva Whitney's Unwind yourself is in there for sure. and defo some Spanky Wilson Kissing my love .

Actially I think that slower version of Pat & the neurotics is quite funky ..fits nice in a funk set as does Koffi's you build a wall between us.

Carms

Aaw Carms I've only just read this. Hope you dont think I've been ignoring you. (Ive been away)

Oh yes !! (sounding like the Churchill dog) Funky Nassau !!! & ha ha ! I do remember Morley Carr & that Bobby Byrd track (if only we had known at the time that we were both dying to get up & strut our funky stuff laugh.gif ) We've yet to do it so keep your funky afro well combed my friend !

Talking of Marva Whitney !!! divvy me has only just got back from (well 14/9) where she will playing on 26/9!!! What a complete numpty I am. Cant afford to go back out so soon so will have to make sure that when I next plan a trip abroad I make sure I tie it in with when one of my hero's/heroine's (is that the correct spelling for a female hero-never looks right!) is playing.

lots of Effing (as in Funk & not the other one) love

Alison

xxx

Social source share

Aaw Carms I've only just read this. Hope you dont think I've been ignoring you. (Ive been away)

Oh yes !! (sounding like the Churchill dog) Funky Nassau !!! & ha ha ! I do remember Morley Carr & that Bobby Byrd track (if only we had known at the time that we were both dying to get up & strut our funky stuff :laugh: ) We've yet to do it so keep your funky afro well combed my friend !

Talking of Marva Whitney !!! divvy me has only just got back from (well 14/9) where she will playing on 26/9!!! What a complete numpty I am. Cant afford to go back out so soon so will have to make sure that when I next plan a trip abroad I make sure I tie it in with when one of my hero's/heroine's (is that the correct spelling for a female hero-never looks right!) is playing.

lots of Effing (as in Funk & not the other one) love

Alison

xxx

Lots of effing lol ..that made me laugh , you have to listen to stepping up in refro soul , you will love it ! what a great intro

Hope to see you out and about soon I'll make sure a Funk compilation is in my handbag.

Carms

x

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Lots of effing lol ..that made me laugh , you have to listen to stepping up in refro soul , you will love it ! what a great intro

Hope to see you out and about soon I'll make sure a Funk compilation is in my handbag.

Carms

x

Look forward to it Carms !

That refo soul doesnt like me at the moment. Takes a little while to load & then throws me out just as I'm getting into it. :laugh: Never mind I'm sure it will accept my advances at some point soon. thumbsup.gif

You take care & see you soon my FunkSoulSista ! (ha ha! I almost typed Sunkfoulsista ..... its getting late!!)

Ali

xxx

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Not sure about all this posting of hip hop and popular 70s funky album tracks that charted. All this talk of Average White Band and Kool And The Gang, oh dear :glare:

Surely it would have to go to one of the funk 45s with a deep soul flip?

Ray Frazier "I Who Have Nothing"

Herman Hitson "Ain't No Other Way"

Little Willie Johnson "Loneliness"

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=U_Dzuq4SseA

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=Lfo9sfo-joE

Little Willie's Loneliness -

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

And what's wrong with Hip-hop? Sounds funky to me.

ROD

Yeah, very good Rod. I'm partial to a bit of hip hop now and again, mostly 90s stuff like B.I.G and Jay-Z, pretty well known stuff, but it's hardly soulful despite it's social message. I'll go and pick some of these geto boys things on itunes, thanks for the tip...

Soul Music needs melody, surely? Rhyme, Rhythm and social message is not soul music, not in the context of this thread, surely?

Or am I wrong?

What is soul music?

Funk is syncopation. But hip hop is not funk, even though it's syncopated.

So IMO hip hop posts are not funk, not soul, and not relevant.

Back on topic :thumbup:

Chris Columbus - Tighten Up 70 -

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert