Northern Soul Tunes That Made The Pop Top 20

Me First.......Breaking Down The Walls Of Heartache-Bandwagon...and Give Me Just A Little More Time-Chairmen of the Board...

Right who's next then!!?? :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

He was white with a 'tache with no soul whatsoever...and l danced to it too in 75!!

Good old tune go on go on go on lets have a listen

This one missed by 7 places but you must have a listen to this one

A class tune by anyone's standards and a good old Northern track to boot

Time for bed now Adios

Grant

Social source share

Me First.......Breaking Down The Walls Of Heartache-Bandwagon...and Give Me Just A Little More Time-Chairmen of the Board...

Right who's next then!!?? thumbup.gif

Esther Phillips "What a Difference a Day Makes"

George (bad) Benson "Supership"

Betty Wright "Where is the Love"

I think they all made charts?

Edited by davetay
Social source share

You did say N.S. tunes Webby.whistling.gif

Solf Cell "Tainted Love"tongue.gif

Sorry I could not resist,laugh.gif

I have just seen it was top 20 and not just the charts, so some of those I already put up might not count.g.gif

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes "The Love I Lost"

The Velvelettes "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You"

and didn't The Flirtations "Little Darling" dent the charts sometime in '72 or '73

Edited by isis
Social source share

JACKIE WILSON - I get the sweetest feeling

CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD - Everythings Tuesday

Fantastic tunes, could not believe I saw somebody on here say he couldn't listen to 'sweetest' the other day. NS perfection!thumbup.gif

If 'Tuesday' did not make the top 20, substitute with COB 'You got me dangling on a string'laugh.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

That defo made Top 20 but personally never heard it at a NS night..Sounds like NS to me though...Think he was in The Marmalade at on time :shades:

Mentioned this once before on here a little trivia about Junior Campbell,He actually wrote the theme music to Thomas the tank engine

Grant

Social source share

Cheers for that, I have not gone completely mad just yet.

I knew he had something to do with it.

Dave.

You are more than welcome,

Anyway back on thread,Someone mentiond Soft Cell and Tainted Love earlier,They also did a version of Judy Streets "What" got to no 3 in 82-ish

I know the Soft Cell versions are not NS but!!!!!!!!!

Grant

Social source share

You are more than welcome,

Anyway back on thread,Someone mentiond Soft Cell and Tainted Love earlier,They also did a version of Judy Streets "What" got to no 3 in 82-ish

I know the Soft Cell versions are not NS but!!!!!!!!!

Grant

Ya it was me, taking the piss.

I didn't know that they did "What" as well.

Social source share

Think these charted on release, before being played on the Northern Scene.

" Breaking Down The Walls Of Heartache " charted in 1968 , and was played on the UK club scene , well before the advent of the NS . As for " Give Me Just A Little More Time " , it charted in 1970 , but I cannot recall if it was played on the club scene .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest proudlove

Morning Malc...But weren't the majority of NS singles released before the NS scenecome into being.. thumbsup.gif

Which leads you directly to ----------where and when did the northern scene start?????????

Right Im off.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

" Breaking Down The Walls Of Heartache " charted in 1968 , and was played on the UK club scene , well before the advent of the NS . As for " Give Me Just A Little More Time " , it charted in 1970 , but I cannot recall if it was played on the club scene .

Malc Burton

Malc,

Regarding Chairman of he Board I use to play that before it got released in the Uk at the Wheel and stopped as soon as it got released when all the other clubs started playing it.

Regards Brian

Social source share

Malc,

Regarding Chairman of he Board I use to play that before it got released in the Uk at the Wheel and stopped as soon as it got released when all the other clubs started playing it.

Regards Brian

Hi Brian - and thanks .....

Following my posting that I could not recall if " GMJALMT " had been played on the scene , I was sure that I had heard it somewhere , but did not know where : possibly it could have been at The Wheel .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Time to put the cat amongst the pigeons and add..Money,money-Tommy James and The Shondells & Groovin' With Mr.Bloe-Mr. Bloe ,... 1 and 4 to be accurate.. :thumbsup:

A contradiction to your original post heading - " Northern Soul Tunes That Made The Pop Top 20 " - if there ever was one .

I never heard " Mony Mony " played at a venue on the scene at the time of its' release - at least not at least the ones I frequented - or have frequented since ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest soulboy

if the term crossover means to crossover in to the pop charts,What would be the ultimate crossover track ? the highest charted ?I know the term dont mean that anymore ,maybe it never did,but thats what i understand it to mean , so what would yours be ? Or what would you say it ment ?

Edited by soulboy
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Give just a little more time/ band of gold danced to these at Kellmarsh/Wilby (Northampton area allnighter(s)) circa 67/68.

One ono ones mentioned....My man is a sweet man - Milly Jackson, most definetly danced to this at the Torch on more than one occasion and this deffo got wellup the UK pop charts, big topic of discussion at the timethumbup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert