Modern Tune Of The Year So Far

Off the back of the 'Sound Of the Weekend' thread I feel moved to mention the 'Modern Tune' of the year so far.

Unbelieveably it's tucked away as track 11 on a Scandanavian rap CD by the Duo Prominent-the track is entitled 'Step Into My World'

Sounded great on a big system at Prestwich on Friday.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest woolie mark

God help us  :thumbsup:

link

i've told you before pete, iggy is god (and jesus loves the stooges - not modern soul)

Social source share

To be perfectly honest thought it was shite :no:

I presume by "modern tune of the year so far" you mean best thing released this year I'd have to disaggree and say Gabin 'Into my soul' is the best I've heard yet - simply sublime..... and I bet even Smiffay likes this un :thumbsup:

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

Pearls before swine Mr Roberts :D:D

Mind you scan the cover in for Pete S and he will change his mind,they are white and rocky looking!! : :thumbsup:

Billy what was that, sounds like Jess Yates been reincarnated. :unsure:

Just got the cd this week too Pete, sounds good but not sure its the best, Move Into Your Season still takes some beating for me, quality all the way.

Also got Patti Labelles latest cd with a great version of Your Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else, which sounds brilliant with her stronger vocals.

Just listening to the Philly remix album, not sure about this one, although has a very interesting banging house mix of Cliff Nobles - the Horse (no really) which will post up here if Pete S says anything horrible again. :D:D

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Off the back of the 'Sound Of the Weekend' thread I feel moved to mention the 'Modern Tune' of the year so far.

Unbelieveably it's tucked away as track 11 on a Scandanavian rap CD by the Duo Prominent-the track is entitled 'Step Into My World'

Cheers

Pete

link

Great sound, will look out for this :thumbsup:

Social source share

The vocals on the Gabin track are from jazz ace Dee Dee Bridgewater. Not 100% sure of the tracks origins but Italian jazz DJ/remixer/Artiste, Nicola Conte did his thing on the single....the soundclip though is the original version I believe....a bit surprised to see this one mentioned on here but a bit of cross pollination is always healthy in my opinion....surely I can't be the only one to have spotted the direct lift in the other soundclip, its definately Ramsey...

Social source share

The vocals on the Gabin track are from jazz ace Dee Dee Bridgewater. Not 100% sure of the tracks origins but Italian jazz DJ/remixer/Artiste, Nicola Conte did his thing on the single....the soundclip though is the original version I believe....a bit surprised to see this one mentioned on here but a bit of cross pollination is always healthy in my opinion....surely I can't be the only one to have spotted the direct lift in the other soundclip, its definately Ramsey...

link

Ahh is there a more housy version then? Would love to hear that.

Cant help you on the Ramsay Lewis thing, the Prominent cd doesnt namecheck any samples and only credits writers from the group so either chancing it hoping nobody has ears as educated as yourself :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

More jazz than house really but it swings, however I like most things with some Nicola Conte involvement (i must be in the wrong place?!)..sorry can't do soundclips but a quick search of some of the more 'upfront' record retail websites should give you what you need.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

nah mate it's superb...

Always gets good reaction in 60s or modern room, and sounds blinding over big system. Filled the floor the first time played at the Friendship.

It'll go massive one day - mark my words :thumbsup:

link

I like the record on a personal level.

But I just can't see it going down around here in either the modern or 60s room.

Col.

Social source share

Pearls before swine Mr Roberts  :D   :D

Mind you scan the cover in for Pete S and he will change his mind,they are white and rocky looking!!  : :thumbsup:

Billy what was that, sounds like Jess Yates been reincarnated.  :D

Just got the cd this week too Pete, sounds good but not sure its the best, Move Into Your Season still takes some beating for me, quality all the way.

Also got Patti Labelles latest cd with a great version of Your Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else, which sounds brilliant with her stronger vocals.

Just listening to the Philly remix album, not sure about this one, although has a very interesting banging house mix of Cliff Nobles - the Horse (no really) which will post up here if Pete S says anything horrible again.  :D   :D

Cheers

Jock

link

Hi Jock

Good to have some backup.Them lot were bullying me :D

You're right about the D.K.H superb album.'Move' being the obvious track off the album.

Searling played a track off the Vivian Green album at Prestwich,he said 'one of the best things I've ever played' How many times has he said that ?? :D

The Nate James,Steve Butler feat'g Ron Haynes,Avila Bros all sounded superb on a big system.

There's a plethora of good new stuff about at the moment.I'm waiting for 'The Official Steppers' CD to drop through the letterbox any day now.there's a few cracking tracks on that.

Then there's the House stuff. Kenny Carjaval,Glen Lewis,Steal Vybe,Ron Hall,Maxine Inness.

I've got the Philly remix too,it's not very clever is it?

Might have a few diehards turning in their graves though :D

Cheers :unsure:

Pete

Social source share

nah mate it's superb...

Always gets good reaction in 60s or modern room, and sounds blinding over big system. Filled the floor the first time played at the Friendship.

It'll go massive one day - mark my words :D

link

After having listened to a longer version of the clip. I still think it's shite :D

If you can let me know what modern rooms it gets a good reaction in,I'll know not go to them :unsure:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Pete

Edited by petebangor
Social source share

Pearls before swine Mr Roberts  :D   :D

Mind you scan the cover in for Pete S and he will change his mind,they are white and rocky looking!!  : :thumbsup:

Billy what was that, sounds like Jess Yates been reincarnated.  :D

Just listening to the Philly remix album, not sure about this one, although has a very interesting banging house mix of Cliff Nobles - the Horse (no really) which will post up here if Pete S says anything horrible again.  :D   :D

Cheers

Jock

link

Jock

I forgot to mention the Will Wheaton CD.

Really strong album first three tracks are a nice stepper,a banging house tune and a ballad,all great tracks,and the rest of the album is solid too. pm me if you need a copy.

:unsure:

Social source share

Hi Jock

Good to have some backup.Them lot were bullying me  :unsure:

You're right about the D.K.H superb album.'Move' being the obvious track off the album.

Searling played a track off the Vivian Green album at Prestwich,he said 'one of the best things I've ever played' How many times has he said that ??  :D

The Nate James,Steve Butler feat'g Ron Haynes,Avila Bros all sounded superb on a big system.

There's a plethora of good new stuff about at the moment.I'm waiting for 'The Official Steppers' CD to drop through the letterbox any day now.there's a few cracking tracks on that.

Then there's the House stuff.  Kenny Carjaval,Glen Lewis,Steal Vybe,Ron Hall,Maxine Inness.

I've got the Philly remix too,it's not very clever is it?

Might have a few diehards turning in their graves though :D

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Pete

link

Hi Pete, official steppers CD sheer quality but tune of the year for me has to be Ron Hall & the motherfunkaz - "the way you love me" dont think many of the motherfunkaz on here are ready for it yet though :D

Social source share

Hi Pete, official steppers CD sheer quality but tune of the year for me has to be Ron Hall & the motherfunkaz - "the way you love me" dont think many of the motherfunkaz on here are ready for it yet though :wicked:

link

Call me narrow minded and suffering from tunnel vision, but ---------

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHH NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :lol:

Social source share

Guest remus

Cheers

Pete

link

Brilliant tune(chooon unsure.gif ), any ideas how to get a copy?

Slightly of the subject but I've been trying to track down an LP track form late 80's by a group called "Process & the Do-rags"(something like that!) on Atlantic,.....any ideas?

Social source share

Guest remus

Reminds me why I got into northern soul - to get away from stuff like this  unsure.gif

Would be better speeded up :P

Col.

link

sounds like you got into 'norveern' to get away from Soul :thumbsup::P

Social source share

Guest remus

I'll try again (doing this via wireless port from Poland so no wonder really unsure.gif )

link

should have stuck with the 5secs Billy!, that is fecking shite mate! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Brilliant tune(chooon unsure.gif ), any ideas how to get a copy?

Slightly of the subject but I've been trying to track down an LP track form late 80's by a group called "Process & the Do-rags"(something like that!) on Atlantic,.....any ideas?

link

Pm me with you address I'll send you a couple of cd's with recent stuff on.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Cheers

Pete

link

I liked it unsure.gif

Social source share

Hi Pete, official steppers CD sheer quality but tune of the year for me has to be Ron Hall & the motherfunkaz - "the way you love me" dont think many of the motherfunkaz on here are ready for it yet though :P

link

That's the one that samples TP, Come Go With Me, right? :thumbsup:

TUNE! unsure.gif

Social source share

MMMMMMmmmm cracking mellow groovemr petebangor but sounds familiar anyone else think so....... u sure its this years model ?????????

also noted your comments bout Gabin the original mix goes well in 60's rooms and the remix has had some decent receptions in the modern rooms.

I think gabin is a pleasent change to some of the predictable sounds coming out at the moment.

Geoooordie unsure.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

To be perfectly honest thought it was shite :lol:

I presume by "modern tune of the year so far" you mean best thing released this year I'd have to disaggree and say Gabin 'Into my soul' is the best I've heard yet - simply sublime..... and I bet even Smiffay likes this un :ohmy:

link

I think both the Prominent track and the Gabin track are excellent. thumbsup.gif

I bet the Gabin's released on vinyl. :thumbsup:

Just out of interest, which modern rooms has the Gabin been played in?

Roger

Edited by dodger
Social source share

I think both the Prominent track and the Gabin track are excellent.  :thumbsup:

I bet the Gabin's released on vinyl.  thumbsup.gif

Just out of interest, which modern rooms has the Gabin been played in?

Roger

link

Played it early on at last modernism to mixed reaction which i expected.

Also getting regular spins at friendship in barnsley, i wonder how "just a little lovin" by gabin will go down?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert